Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

:crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
look they really want you to get Chimera Squad, ok?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Jimbot posted:

Are any studios, indie or otherwise, making arcade-y sports games? Like Blades of Steel, NBA Jam, NFL Blitz, ect? Those kinds of games seem to have just fallen off the face of the earth around the 360/PS3 days and haven't come back. I know they made another Mutant League Football a few years back but I heard mixed things.
Legend Bowl seems cool, but I haven't played it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1106340/Legend_Bowl/

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

look they really want you to get Chimera Squad, ok?

It was a good game for at least one playthrough for someone who is bad at XCom like me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Magnetic North posted:

It was a good game for at least one playthrough for someone who is bad at XCom like me.

It was a cool proof of concept game that was more charming than it had any right to be that Firaxis shot out at the start of the pandemic at half price, but it was also pretty janky and buggy

I'd love to see more of it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jimbot posted:

Are any studios, indie or otherwise, making arcade-y sports games? Like Blades of Steel, NBA Jam, NFL Blitz, ect? Those kinds of games seem to have just fallen off the face of the earth around the 360/PS3 days and haven't come back. I know they made another Mutant League Football a few years back but I heard mixed things.
Basketball https://store.steampowered.com/app/612640/Dunk_Lords/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rGu1VIq8EU

Baseball https://store.steampowered.com/app/988910/Super_Mega_Baseball_3/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmed06YF6LU

American Football https://store.steampowered.com/app/708720/Gridiron/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0oQGqGz7So

Hockey https://store.steampowered.com/app/532190/Super_Blood_Hockey/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1LSG4UBe4

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Chimera Squad hard-locked on startup in a manner that even a full reinstall couldn’t rectify after my third play session, which is par for the course for me with Firaxis games, even across multiple different machines.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

X-COM Files

What if X-COM was 50x as long, weirder, more difficult, and packed to the gills with weird poo poo? I really, really like playing this mod. It plays up the atmosphere of the X-Files/90s conspiracy stuff that I love and goes full throttle with cults and other bullshit, and it's me! I like doing lots of weird missions and figuring out what to equip and research. I keep being drawn back to this one over the years, because it takes X-COM and makes it more everything in ways I enjoy.

This is from 60 pages ago but I finally got around to playing this and it has been a blast
https://openxcom.mod.io/the-x-com-files
I'm still 2+ years away from the alien invasion and I'm just dealing with all this X-Files stuff and it's absurd. My lil men in black getting owned by chupacabras and beetles. I keep going to investigate crop circles and when I show up the farmer is just hostile for some reason and I kill them, but now they're starting to show up surrounded by zombies. The enormous variety of thematic real-world weapons is cool. I finally graduated from literally requesting an Uber to take my glock-toting MIBs to the mission site to sending helicopters carrying large squads equipped with MP5s and Dirty Harry revolvers and I have one guy that carries a katana because ???.

If you own the original x-com and can deal with mod jank (like the creator including lots of weirdly sexualized photos as research art???) you should play this total conversion mod ASAP

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jimbot posted:

Does windjammers count? It's a game about a made up frisbee sport
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1qBLapIpX4

e: Nintendo has also made a bunch of Mario-themed tennis/soccer/etc games but good luck playing those on pc lol

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is from 60 pages ago but I finally got around to playing this and it has been a blast
https://openxcom.mod.io/the-x-com-files
I'm still 2+ years away from the alien invasion and I'm just dealing with all this X-Files stuff and it's absurd. My lil men in black getting owned by chupacabras and beetles. I keep going to investigate crop circles and when I show up the farmer is just hostile for some reason and I kill them, but now they're starting to show up surrounded by zombies. The enormous variety of thematic real-world weapons is cool. I finally graduated from literally requesting an Uber to take my glock-toting MIBs to the mission site to sending helicopters carrying large squads equipped with MP5s and Dirty Harry revolvers and I have one guy that carries a katana because ???.

If you own the original x-com and can deal with mod jank (like the creator including lots of weirdly sexualized photos as research art???) you should play this total conversion mod ASAP

The creepy sex stuff gets so much worse trust me. It's nowhere as bad as X piratez but it's still completely unnecessary. There's a loving zombie woman who has her boobs out. Who decided they want to be horny in dos XCOM? Called out about this on discord the author stated it makes it more "mature". Take it as you will. At least he isn't an outright Nazi like the Piratez dev.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm pretty impressed with Songs of Conquest so far. The balancing may need some work but the art is great, music is nice, and so far I'm enjoying the campaign.

I just finished the Rana campaign. While it was quite hard, I eventually beat it handily enough.

The writing is alright, though I do miss some of the characters from Heroes proper and how they built up their stories. I especially like how the Lawful Stupid actions of the protagonist in the first campaign led to a massive invasion by the Rana in the second. I sincerely miss seeing noblemen acting like entitled idiots like this in fantasy fiction lately.

The graphics and sound design are probably the game's greatest strengths. They're obviously still figuring out balance, but the systems in place are really good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

e: Nintendo has also made a bunch of Mario-themed tennis/soccer/etc games but good luck playing those on pc lol

Well GCN/Wii/U/Switch/3DS emulation are the furthest progressed of their generations so

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I can play them on my steam deck :agesilaus:

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I thought I'd get into Metal Gear Rising again after beating it years ago, but ran into a bug where it's locked at 24 FPS in fullscreen mode, and it has no borderless windowed mode. Luckily, there's a little program that can force its windowed mode to go to full screen and keep the proper framerate. It's little things like this that make console fanboys so smug.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I'll take a looksee at those and see if they pique my interest. Glad to see some studios are keeping that genre alive. I'm not a big sports head. In fact, the only the exposure to sports is watching the Secret Base Dorktown and Jon Bois videos, but I did love those arcade sports games growing up.

I posted it elsewhere but this stuff got me hyped to supreme levels:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1528915101511602176

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Reminder that the Capcom leaks confirmed DD2 and that it was originally supposed to be released Q3 this year, although it's clear at this point that it's been delayed.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Jimbot posted:

I posted it elsewhere but this stuff got me hyped to supreme levels:

I'm surprised they acknowledged the awful anime in the timeline

MuffinsAndPie fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 24, 2022

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I wanna play a fun arcade racer with meta-progression/unlocking cars/RPG-lite elements. Like the good old days of Burnout Paradise or the older Need For Speed: Most Wanted games. Is there anything recent-ish that would fit the bill?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I cannot loving waaaaaait for more Dragon's Dogma. Dear god I hope the sequel doesn't suck.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

explosivo posted:

I cannot loving waaaaaait for more Dragon's Dogma. Dear god I hope the sequel doesn't suck.

I bet it'll be dope. Capcom is nailing it right now.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Yakuza 5 looks and feels like a massive upgrade from 4. Is this when they switched engines, because even by remaster standards it makes the last 2 titles look like previous gen games.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Xtanstic posted:

I wanna play a fun arcade racer with meta-progression/unlocking cars/RPG-lite elements. Like the good old days of Burnout Paradise or the older Need For Speed: Most Wanted games. Is there anything recent-ish that would fit the bill?

Forza Horizon 4. All you do is run races to win new cars, get those cars into newer races to win more cars, upgrade those cars to win more races, and then get into even more races, stunt driving, seasonal events, co-op with randoms, and also PVP with randoms to get more and more cars until you have 700 different ones like you were playing Pokemon. The amount of variety of things to do is absurd, too. You will be driving all sorts of things from antiques from the 60's to the most recent hyper cars and the competitions reflect this constantly. :getin:

Edit: forgot to mention there's a gigantic open world map to explore + two smaller ones in the expansions and you can look into every nook and cranny to find more resources to (guess what) buy more cars and upgrades! Plus, there's certain abandoned ones that can be found and restored, plus a hidden treasure game, plus a bunch of small RPG-like quests like racing a bunch of stuff for Top Gear or having your own Taxi company... it's basically do whatever you feel like doing until you feel you are done with it and if you like filling checklists, there's a lot of checklists. I'm over 70h currently and still going because there's still lots of stuff I haven't got into. Definitively recommend getting the Ultimate version for all content.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 24, 2022

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

pentyne posted:

Yakuza 5 looks and feels like a massive upgrade from 4. Is this when they switched engines, because even by remaster standards it makes the last 2 titles look like previous gen games.

I was under the impression 6 was the first one on the most recent engine.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
5 was when they started the engine before the most recent engine, which would then be used in 0 and Kiwami 1, and possibly the later historical one, I think.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
6/K2/Judgement are Dragon Engine.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Feels Villeneuve posted:

6/K2/Judgement are Dragon Engine.

7 uses that engine too, it's just not a beat-em-up :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

A good poster posted:

5 was when they started the engine before the most recent engine, which would then be used in 0 and Kiwami 1, and possibly the later historical one, I think.

And Lost Paradise

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Forza Horizon 4. All you do is run races to win new cars, get those cars into newer races to win more cars, upgrade those cars to win more races, and then get into even more races, stunt driving, seasonal events, co-op with randoms, and also PVP with randoms to get more and more cars until you have 700 different ones like you were playing Pokemon. The amount of variety of things to do is absurd, too. You will be driving all sorts of things from antiques from the 60's to the most recent hyper cars and the competitions reflect this constantly. :getin:

Edit: forgot to mention there's a gigantic open world map to explore + two smaller ones in the expansions and you can look into every nook and cranny to find more resources to (guess what) buy more cars and upgrades! Plus, there's certain abandoned ones that can be found and restored, plus a hidden treasure game, plus a bunch of small RPG-like quests like racing a bunch of stuff for Top Gear or having your own Taxi company... it's basically do whatever you feel like doing until you feel you are done with it and if you like filling checklists, there's a lot of checklists. I'm over 70h currently and still going because there's still lots of stuff I haven't got into. Definitively recommend getting the Ultimate version for all content.

What amazing timing. It's on sale too. Thanks for the rec. Is Forza 5 just more of the same, with a bit more polish? I'll probably just get the 4th.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

What amazing timing. It's on sale too. Thanks for the rec. Is Forza 5 just more of the same, with a bit more polish? I'll probably just get the 4th.

5 is in Mexico, 4 is in England. So wherever you want to race.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I got a free month of Game Pass and I've been messing with Microsoft Flight Simulator. Pretty dang pretty. Maybe they can set GTA 6 on "Earth"

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I like 5 a lot more. 4 made me sleepy.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

FH5 is very polished and somewhat more detailed than FH4 but both are great. They've kind of ruined other driving games for me. 4 has snow in the winter while 5 has hardly any snow, if that helps. Both are free on Game Pass too, though I got 5 on Steam some time back.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

A good poster posted:

Sorry, what historical Yakuza am I missing?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Sorry, what historical Yakuza am I missing?

Ishin

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Oh, 2014. I got my dates mixed up, thought there was a more recent one.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Ryū ga Gotoku Kenzan! is on the same engine as 3 and 4, Ryū ga Gotoku Ishin! is on the same engine as 5, 0, and Kiwami 1.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Forza 4 had an incredibly boring map compared to 5.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
FH5 is great. I can't imagine arcade driving sandboxes can get much better than that. You just need to make sure you turn your brain off before being exposed to the "story" and characters.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

FH5 is great. I can't imagine arcade driving sandboxes can get much better than that. You just need to make sure you turn your brain off before being exposed to the "story" and characters.

This is my beef with basically all arcade racing games. The format just doesn’t work for storytelling. Hell even the Fast and Furious movies got by solely on cheese factor and the charisma of the actors. Just let me drive my cars without somebody talking in the background :smith:

Although maybe Forza 4 is better for that? I’ve been on the edge of buying it multiple times but then I remember that I have to deal with the Windows storefront/launcher and just play Dirt Rally instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Fruits of the sea posted:

This is my beef with basically all arcade racing games. The format just doesn’t work for storytelling. Hell even the Fast and Furious movies got by solely on cheese factor and the charisma of the actors. Just let me drive my cars without somebody talking in the background :smith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE9DDk86t6s