Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
If this is going to be "the discourse," bring back the Diablo builds. Jesus loving Christ.

Edit: a great post to start a new page! :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Boba Pearl posted:

Do you all not find posting about posting, or reliving your forum grudges over and over, exhausting? You can have problems with a poster without starting a life long vendetta.

they're still not going to like you no matter how much you defend them

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

After a small cooling off period and some discussion in the feedback thread, I'm reopening this thread and clarifying some of the rules of discussion.

1. This is not a chat thread. If you find yourself posting something that is largely unrelated to the industry news under discussion, and is more an evaluation of the quality of a game or other gaming products, take it to another thread (ie the general games chat thread, the blizzchat thread in CCCC, the thread for whatever specific game it is you're talking about, etc).

2. Avoid baseless speculation, memes, posting for the sake of posting. It's okay if this thread dies a little because there's nothing to talk about.

I will try to enforce these rules more firmly. I didn't intervene early or clearly enough with the last derail. I'd prefer not to probate anyone, I will just post and ask people to go back on topic, or just stop posting.

Here is some Good Gaming News for you all to start off with:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1528821388798312449

Lazy Robot
Jan 18, 2001

yospos

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I'm really proud of my coworkers in Raven QA for this. I mostly just shitposted in our discord, and voted of course, but some of them got up and testified in front of a federal panel with their bosses-bosses sitting right there. We are celebrating today, but we know we have a long fight ahead of us to get a first contract negotiated.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lazy Robot posted:

I'm really proud of my coworkers in Raven QA for this. I mostly just shitposted in our discord, and voted of course, but some of them got up and testified in front of a federal panel with their bosses-bosses sitting right there. We are celebrating today, but we know we have a long fight ahead of us to get a first contract negotiated.

Y'all are trailblazers and deserve success. I and others support you.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Lazy Robot posted:

Big ups.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lazy Robot posted:

gently caress yeah dude

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Firstly, fuckin good, and Raven QA deserves to celebrate their victory.

What was the deal with this prior tweet?

Jason Schreier posted:

(The NLRB clarifies that while the union filed for a unit of ~21 people, the exact number of members won't be finalized until the ballot tally. The CWA believes it's more like 28)

Why would you not know the number of people voting?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lazy Robot posted:

Never stop shitposting and never, ever stop voting to unionize.

I hope you beat the poo poo out of negotiate the best god drat contract the industry's ever seen

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Lazy Robot posted:

Congratulations to you and your coworkers!

Lazy Robot
Jan 18, 2001

yospos

Dick Burglar posted:

Why would you not know the number of people voting?

I think that's referring to how many people were eligible to vote. Eligibility was set as "employed by Raven QA at X date", so outside sources wouldn't really have any way to know the exact numbers. In the end we had 19 yes, 3 no, 2 contested votes that weren't opened because they wouldn't have changed the outcome. So, 24 people voted. It was a mail-in ballot, and I assume some small number of people didn't vote at all.

You'd think I would know how many people are in my department, but if you have followed this at all, they separated us and spread us out across the company.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Ah ok, the reason outsiders wouldn't know an exact number makes sense. And I recall hearing about the union-breaking tactic of splitting up QA, yeah. I'm glad it didn't work.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Lazy Robot posted:

You'd think I would know how many people are in my department, but if you have followed this at all, they separated us and spread us out across the company.

Super glad that you all were able to still get the vote through. Now they have a union at multiple company locations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

This is absolutely great news, though I’m still guardedly optimistic about it all.

Genuinely asking: what’s to stop AB from saying “our terms are ‘eat poo poo and die’” and deciding that they’d rather take the fines than allow any union to take root?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Regalingualius posted:

This is absolutely great news, though I’m still guardedly optimistic about it all.

Genuinely asking: what’s to stop AB from saying “our terms are ‘eat poo poo and die’” and deciding that they’d rather take the fines than allow any union to take root?

The legal machinations of the NLRB do not involve fines, they force companies to reinstate workers and give them back pay, generally. If they don't comply with that, they get found in contempt of court, which can involve fines and jail time for actual executives.

Most employers do not want to deal with any of that, especially with the current administration quietly giving the agency a lot more resources. It's generally easier to just drag out the process and make it as awful as possible instead.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 24, 2022

Lazy Robot
Jan 18, 2001

yospos

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The legal machinations of the NLRB do not involve fines, they force companies to reinstate workers and give them back pay, generally.

Most employers do not want to deal with any of that, especially with the current administration quietly giving the agency a lot more resources. It's generally easier to just drag out the process and make it as awful as possible instead.

Yeah, they are unlikely to just suck up the fines, since that won't make us go away. More likely they will just make this as unpleasant as possible for as long as they can. Especially with a potential Microsoft buyout down the road.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Lazy Robot posted:

This might have been was an effective (evil) tactic until a few years ago but am I the only one thinking that in this age of email, video conferences on demand and in general more computing power than god in our pockets nevermind our desktops it risks being counterproductive, because it might expose other workers to the fight for better work conditions and dignity the evils of communism (70s scare music in the background). Or am I too hopeful?

(sidenote I'm not saying it didn't make your lives harder because I'm sure it did, I'm saying you now have workarounds)

Lazy Robot
Jan 18, 2001

yospos

Omobono posted:

This might have been was an effective (evil) tactic until a few years ago but am I the only one thinking that in this age of email, video conferences on demand and in general more computing power than god in our pockets nevermind our desktops it risks being counterproductive, because it might expose other workers to the fight for better work conditions and dignity the evils of communism (70s scare music in the background). Or am I too hopeful?

(sidenote I'm not saying it didn't make your lives harder because I'm sure it did, I'm saying you now have workarounds)

Now that the vote is over, yeah we 100% organized offsite through Discord and video conferencing outside of work hours. The union-busting lawyers they sicced on us seemed to be using a playbook from the last century.

Lazy Robot
Jan 18, 2001

yospos
I know this came up earlier, but this is an actual slide from their anti-union campaign:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
So, speaking personally, would you consider yourself footloose or fancy-free?

Lazy Robot
Jan 18, 2001

yospos

Clarste posted:

So, speaking personally, would you consider yourself footloose or fancy-free?

I'm really more of a "Whiner and complainer".

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Was there a specific thing that tipped the balance, or was everyone already fed up by the time you all organized? I know a lot of people at amazon were saying that calling the cops on chris smalls is what turned a lot of people against amazon.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lazy Robot posted:

I know this came up earlier, but this is an actual slide from their anti-union campaign:

Tag yourselves again! I'm "Malingerer and something for nothing attitude".

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

mutata posted:

I'm double tagging. 'Lazy ...' AND 'Overqualified'

Ya think those two might be connected management? :thunk:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

mutata posted:

I'm "comma, management".

Wait, no, gently caress...

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'm the footloose Malingerer that opposes society.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Other news on a somewhat positive note: Twitch shut down the livestream of the Buffalo shooting after 2 minutes compared to Facebook which had it circulating for 10 hours.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/05/20/twitch-buffalo-shooter-facebook-nypd-interview/

I have issues with Twitches (Twitch’s?) policies but it sounds like they have actual humans handling moderation which is pretty drat good for a social media platform. I hope it sets an example for others to follow.

E: it also demonstrated that they followed up on their statements after previous debacles and actually improved which is a rarity in the industry

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 24, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lazy Robot posted:

You know, you could head this with 'Bosses' and have it be 100% true...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Fruits of the sea posted:

Other news on a somewhat positive note: Twitch shut down the livestream of the Buffalo shooting after 2 minutes compared to Facebook which had it circulating for 10 hours.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/05/20/twitch-buffalo-shooter-facebook-nypd-interview/

I have issues with Twitches (Twitch’s?) policies but it sounds like they have actual humans handling moderation which is pretty drat good for a social media platform. I hope it sets an example for others to follow.

E: it also demonstrated that they followed up on their statements after previous debacles and actually improved which is a rarity in the industry

Twitch also wants to distance itself from “Gaming = Racism” and they’ve got teams of sensitivity moderators working night & day globally whereas Facebook has moderation teams for geographic regions, so, for example, all of SE Asia probably shares a moderation team. Twitch probably has a mod team for every country and most states except for the Midwest.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Twitch generally seems more paranoid about upsetting advertisers, which this is all about.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

One weird thing about Twitch is that quite a few middling to large streamers have very chill and accepting chat communities - but this is because they have volunteers moderating chat and in most cases the volunteers are unpaid. Which, well we have the same system on SA and it works great except for all the times it doesn't :v: It would be nice to see more big-name streamers pay their mods, they have the cash for it.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Fruits of the sea posted:

One weird thing about Twitch is that quite a few middling to large streamers have very chill and accepting chat communities - but this is because they have volunteers moderating chat and in most cases the volunteers are unpaid. Which, well we have the same system on SA and it works great except for all the times it doesn't :v: It would be nice to see more big-name streamers pay their mods, they have the cash for it.
also because better chat moderation means more money. some of the most toxic streamers got very family friendly when fortnite blew up

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Samovar posted:

You know, you could head this with 'Bosses' and have it be 100% true...

aint no bosses that are over-qualified

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

busalover posted:

Twitch generally seems more paranoid about upsetting advertisers, which this is all about.

Sorta. I think it's important to remember real people with real morals probably very similar to yours really do work at these places. Profitability is always going to be #1 at an Amazon company, but there's wiggle room for employees to impact policy within that constraint.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

ColdPie posted:

Sorta. I think it's important to remember real people with real morals probably very similar to yours really do work at these places. Profitability is always going to be #1 at an Amazon company, but there's wiggle room for employees to impact policy within that constraint.

Fun fact: Automod was originally the personal product of a woman in data science. The chat & social team was a collection of the crustiest 2010-era twitch assholes & most of their work on trust & safety was either a result of people elsewhere in the company embarrassing them into action (as when the 2016 debate stream's success was entirely due to stuff they had nothing to do with) or kaceytron literally threatening to sue them.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

That's a good summary of why builds in D3 are so braindead and you are basically just selecting the "Developer Approved Build of the Season"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That's a good summary of why builds in D3 are so braindead and you are basically just selecting the "Developer Approved Build of the Season"

shut the gently caress up

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Please focus

Metis of the Hallways posted:

After a small cooling off period and some discussion in the feedback thread, I'm reopening this thread and clarifying some of the rules of discussion.

1. This is not a chat thread. If you find yourself posting something that is largely unrelated to the industry news under discussion, and is more an evaluation of the quality of a game or other gaming products, take it to another thread (ie the general games chat thread, the blizzchat thread in CCCC, the thread for whatever specific game it is you're talking about, etc).

2. Avoid baseless speculation, memes, posting for the sake of posting. It's okay if this thread dies a little because there's nothing to talk about.

I will try to enforce these rules more firmly. I didn't intervene early or clearly enough with the last derail. I'd prefer not to probate anyone, I will just post and ask people to go back on topic, or just stop posting.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I would laugh if this wasn't so bleak, EA Tells Devs It Won't Take Stand On Abortion Rights, Encourages 'Healing Circles'

The bit you're definitely curious about :

quote:

In lieu of public statements, Singh instead encouraged developers to make use of one EA benefit: “healing circles.”

“I know these have been tough issues, whether it’s the shootings that happened recently in the U.S., the Roe v Wade issues, these are hard,” Singh said. “And so, one of the other things you’re going to see is we’re going to be making some more healing circles available through modern health.”

It’s not clear what exactly the healing circles are, or how they work, but Singh called on staff to “join and process” the events going on with each other and praised the strength of the community within EA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.modernhealth.com/circles
It looks like this is just a fancy rear end version of group therapy.