Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Xik posted:

Geee 25 minutes ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Investors pull $7bn from Tether as stablecoin jitt...

Bitcoin is a bet on the collapse of fiat money and central banks. It doesn't mean a collapse of everything. It will cause turmoil, but in the end things will be better.

People are increasingly realizing that central banks don't have any scientific reason to exist, and the economy actually runs better without them. Their only reason to exist is to give unlimited power to governments and funnel wealth from the poor to the rich. Bitcoin is the bet that what I said is actually true.

ive got a science of economics for this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Truman Peyote posted:

ive got a science of economics for this guy

"science" is stretching it. call me back when you can run experiments on your theories and, idk, actually predict the results accurately

or maybe when the collective lot of economists can make the economy not completely suck and ruin people's retirement etc., because then it won't matter if they're pondering orbs or actually calculating anything at all

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Karl predicted everything

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Tom Collins posted:

"science" is stretching it. call me back when you can run experiments on your theories and, idk, actually predict the results accurately

or maybe when the collective lot of economists can make the economy not completely suck and ruin people's retirement etc., because then it won't matter if they're pondering orbs or actually calculating anything at all

what’s up forums poster Tom Collins?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Godel_unicode 23 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

First, this is what America being a free country means. It means you have the absolute right and freedom to build your own cage if you choose to.
Second, although building on that idea, as a tech worker you have choice. You can choose to work somewhere that requires this kind of connectedness and monitoring, or you can choose not to. There are very highly paid engineers with no access to their email except on a laptop and during work hours. Ask around, ask this question during interviews.
Freedom means responsibility. If you want to make more choices you are agreeing to live with those choices consequences. We're learning very quickly that a ton of people are not ok with that deal.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

re: massive layoffs at a startup

imperialdrive 17 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

I mean, if there is some transparency and the numbers add up, and 70% cut appears to do the trick, then it would be pretty awesome being in the 30% with a real chance to shine. I imagine there would be a big increase in stock and pay to put things in motion too. Sounds great!
Now if the plan is going to end in flames anyway, it still seems like a great reason to stick around and absorb the knowledge and experience.
I'm a fix-it person and would love the opportunity to turn a company around - it's like the ultimate challenge.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

ah yes, big layoffs are when they fire 70% of the company and give their pay to the ones who are left

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Ask HN: Why is HN so good with keeping quality posts up and the bad ones down?
13 points by anon115 10 days ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 7 comments

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
downandout 8 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: We’re discontinuing the Stablegains service

There are countless articles showing that literal monkeys throwing darts at a dart board can pick sticks as well or better than most fund managers. This is not the case with DeFi. I’m not all over the place with anything, DeFi is a place where skill still matters because of inefficiencies and the presence of a large amount of “dumb” money.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

insert "bullshitting" or "swindling" before the word "skill" and the post becomes 100% unobjectionable

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

insert "bullshitting" or "swindling" before the word "skill" and the post becomes 100% unobjectionable

swindling is absolutely a skill though the op does not mean it this way

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MononcQc posted:

Ask HN: Why is HN so good with keeping quality posts up and the bad ones down?
13 points by anon115 10 days ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 7 comments

a variation of this gets posted every week and the answer is always “it’s all dang” (name of the head mod) when I’m just thinking how lovely the whole site actually is

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ajedi32 2 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]
I've seen this argument regarding smart contracts several times now, and I don't think it makes any sense. It's like robbing someone in real life, then claiming you did nothing wrong because you didn't violate the "laws" of physics. Those are two entirely separate things.

In the world of smart contracts code is indeed law, but that doesn't change the fact that in the real world law is law, and the fact that you used a smart contract to commit a crime doesn't make it any less a crime.

SamBam 2 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]
But that is the premise of smart contracts. Sure, it doesn't excuse you from the law if your contract is to pay someone to shoot someone, but it's supposed to be the final word on the actual financial transactions that happen within the contract.

Plenty of crypto hypers say the same. E.g. from a quick search of "Smart Contract advantages," the very first article, by a law firm:

> Guaranteed Outcomes: Potentially the most attractive feature, smart contracts could offer a way to substantially reduce or completely eliminate the need for litigation and courts. This is because when parties commit to using self-executing contracts, they bind themselves to the rules and determinations of the underlying code, rather than exposing themselves to interpretations med by parties outside of the contractual relationship.

https://www.newburnlaw.com/benefits-of-smart-contracts

sushid 19 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]
Smart contracts allow for guaranteed outcomes. Some commentary added by a random law firm does not mean that guaranteed outcomes == no need for litigation and courts.

Just think of non-smart contract parallels. If a bank had an ATM, the premise is that this ATM will execute a series of commands and allow you to withdraw/deposit/transfer funds. If a nefarious back actor found a series of user input that allowed them to withdraw millions of extra dollars, do you believe that the ATM provider will have no legal recourse? What about electronic slot machines?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Mr.Radar posted:

downandout 8 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: We’re discontinuing the Stablegains service

There are countless articles showing that literal monkeys throwing darts at a dart board can pick sticks as well or better than most fund managers. This is not the case with DeFi. I’m not all over the place with anything, DeFi is a place where skill still matters because of inefficiencies and the presence of a large amount of “dumb” money.

i mean, there is a lot of skill involved, in figuring out which of the various exploits will work with this particular dao or whatever, and then exfiltrating all the coins :pseudo:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

4lokos basilisk posted:

swindling is absolutely a skill though the op does not mean it this way

Zamujasa posted:

i mean, there is a lot of skill involved, in figuring out which of the various exploits will work with this particular dao or whatever, and then exfiltrating all the coins :pseudo:

im reminded of the guys who found a dude flexing like 100k eth in a single wallet. same dude was also obsessed with somehow building flying cars with crypto i.e. not the most level-headed out there, so they built up a pretty slick scam where they pretended to be merely ordinary nft bullshitters and also into flying cars, and they almost got him to click on a "curl | sudo bash" nft that would have instantly made them quarter-billionaires. the difference between that and a totally innocuous, doesn't-take-over-your-whole-account nft link was like a single character in the name or something similarly hilarious

pretty sure the hn post about the story was covered itt a while back too

anyway, can't help but think that those scammers in a lot of ways "deserved" the money way more than flying car guy ever did

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
the hackers are getting nervous

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31435407

https://twitter.com/refsrc/status/1527238287471292417?s=21&t=vy0VTJ-9_4GH6S94rOy-Dg

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

charcircuit 5 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

I'm sure you can find 19 people who want to be paid for playing video games. There are many places where QA isn't paid. It's an honor to help out the development of games and see things early.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the people he was referring to in this post formed a union because, in part, they weren’t getting a $20/hr minimum rate that newly converted temps got

even $20/hr is too much for that guy apparently

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

people on HN should know better than to think QA is “playing” a game instead of repeating the same defined procedures in a precise order to check things off, just like whatever product they’re working on.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that implies anyone on hn actually tests anything, or indeed does anything of value at all

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
places with paid qa do that because there would be meaningful business consequences to the sort of quality issues that can be detected by systematic qa. places that don't, well... if you're a user of their product, you know exactly what value they assign to your continued business: loving zero

matti
Mar 31, 2019

quote:

I think someone wrote about the 4 horseman of the apocolyse. Where first it was using terrorism to pass suevillence, and now it's CSAM.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

quote:

EU is becoming an authoritarian estate. Made by burocrats to control and manipulate european citizens.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

quote:

The intended effect is a totalitarian surveillance. Children are (ab)used by the EU Commission as a pretext which nobody would want to argue with.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i will never visit the orange web site again

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Bubble_Pop_22 37 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

> People are freaking giving up on the world and deciding that they should never have children because they think they'd just be bring them into a doomed world

That's the reason they give when they are put a microphone in their face, in reality humans are pleasure utility maximizers, if you cannot extract any advantage out of kids then it's only natural that people won't have them.

Kids are like a private pension plan, but if you give one party (the mother) the chance to take all the pension plan funds for herself at any moment, then the other party (the male whose sperm is necessary) won't enter into the agreement.

Likewise if the 2 parties see that society conditions kids not to care for elderly parents then even women would think twice about making such commitment, because while it's true that they can take the full pension plan at any moment, they'd be sort of getting 100% of zero at that point.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Qwertycoatl posted:

Bubble_Pop_22 37 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

> People are freaking giving up on the world and deciding that they should never have children because they think they'd just be bring them into a doomed world

That's the reason they give when they are put a microphone in their face, in reality humans are pleasure utility maximizers, if you cannot extract any advantage out of kids then it's only natural that people won't have them.

Kids are like a private pension plan, but if you give one party (the mother) the chance to take all the pension plan funds for herself at any moment, then the other party (the male whose sperm is necessary) won't enter into the agreement.

Likewise if the 2 parties see that society conditions kids not to care for elderly parents then even women would think twice about making such commitment, because while it's true that they can take the full pension plan at any moment, they'd be sort of getting 100% of zero at that point.

even the perfidious female is cognizant of the illogicality of reproduction. allow me to share with you a selection of my pleasure utility derivation theorems,

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Hammerite posted:

even the perfidious female is cognizant of the illogicality of reproduction. allow me to share with you a selection of my pleasure utility derivation theorems,

an extremely pompous way of saying "i got divorced and my kids hate me"

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
graycat 1 hour ago | prev [–]

> Yet there is one exception: the ozone layer. Humanity’s ability to heal the depleted ozone layer is not only our biggest environmental success, it is the most impressive example of international cooperation on any challenge in history.

Sorry. My view: This statement is just junk, scientific nonsense, nothing but absurd propaganda, part of an organized, flim-flam, fraud, hoax scam.

The scam was costly -- the earth had to destroy nearly all of its refrigeration equipment.

The biggie point was, there was no serious problem with the ozone layer.

The scam is like what the Mayans did: They killed people to pour their blood on a rock to keep the sun moving across the sky. And, yes, the sun did keep moving across the sky. And the ozone layer was fine before the effort destroy the refrigeration equipment, was fine during the scam, and is fine now.

The evidence of a significant hole in the ozone layer was present before the scam and during the scam and is still present now. The only evidence of any significant hole in the ozone was and is in just one place on the earth. May I have the envelope please. Drum roll. And the result is -- over Antarctica. The ozone hole was and is over Antarctica and a little farther north and has not changed. There was never any significant ozone hole anywhere else.

Why Antarctica? Because ozone is generated by light from the sun, and for nearly 6 months a year Antarctica is in total darkness, 24 hours a day, gets no light from the sun at all. So, for those six months, there is a big ozone hole over Antarctica. There was a big ozone hole, and it is still there, with no significant change. Simple. Obvious. No surprise. No threat. No problem. Nothing to do anything about. Nothing we could do anything about. Nothing we did anything about. Flim-flam, fraud, hoax, scam.

Price of refrigeration working fluid went up. Way up. Nearly all of the world's refrigeration equipment had to be junked because the new working fluid would not work in the old equipment.

World wide scam. Hard on the developed countries. Comparatively REALLY hard on the developing countries.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

dude can’t explain the lack of ozone hole in there northern hemisphere I guess

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

alexandriao posted:

nefarious back actor
biggie lives!

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

did he delete that gem? I went looking and couldn't find it.

edit: on the other hand if that was written just to troll here it was pitch-perfect, a thing of beauty

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

tracecomplete posted:

did he delete that gem? I went looking and couldn't find it.

edit: on the other hand if that was written just to troll here it was pitch-perfect, a thing of beauty

he deleted it after it was downvoted into oblivion

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
help help im being cancelled

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Considering that the fundamental "fact" he based his conclusion on (that the ozone hole has always been there and is unchanging) is complete bullshit, I doubt even that level of pushback would get him to re-evaluate his position.

Like just look at any graph of the amount of ozone depletion at the south pole before and after the Montreal protocol and it's absolutely plain as day.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
ozone hole truther is a new one on me

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

graycat 22 hours ago [flagged] [dead] | parent | context | flag | vouch | favorite | on: Farm vehicles approaching weights of sauropods exc...
The authors were asked and paid to do research and to publish it, and they did both. And they published in the PNAS which is highly politically correct and, in particular, likes the theme of the evil, ignorant, foolish humans destroying the pure, pristine, earth humans are depending on.
For some of the role of politics and being politically correct in research can see my post
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31438309
E.g., once I had a dean of a business school state to me with great gravity that he wanted "research".
Okay, but what kind of research, for what purpose, what applications, and nothing was said about that. When I looked at the research in his school I found only junk, real made up, cooked up, stirred up, busy work, make work, junk think, prof scam that they pretended was research and published in journals created for just such nonsense.
One of my concerns was that should I do some research and publish it, and I already had two old pieces of work that I regarded as genuinely productive research, no one in the school would be able to read the math. That is, how could I please them with research they couldn't read?
Actually one of the pieces of research got accepted at Math Programming, a relatively good journal in optimization, and on hearing this the department chair got all excited. He couldn't read the math in the paper, didn't even ask to see the paper, but got all excited anyway. What the heck was going on?
Secret: They had no intention of looking at the research. At most all they were going to do was just count papers. Then with the paper counts they could tell the state legislature that approved their budget that their school was doing research.
And the research was a bargain: The new houses for sale cost about 6 times the annual salary of a new professor. And in the nice parts of town, the police hassled people, e.g., profs, driving old cars.
So, the whole enterprise was for everyone involved -- tax payers, the legislature, the dean, the professors, the students -- in two words, as in my post referenced above, financially irresponsible.
So, first cut, a priori, my guess was that the research about big tractors being so heavy they damaged the land was more make work, junk think, prof scam nonsense and published by PNAS because of political correctness of their theme of evil humans and the delicate planet. Sorry 'bout that.
At least it's cheap!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

fritz posted:

graycat 22 hours ago [flagged] [dead]
:rip:

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
we’ve found him the internets most unpleasant man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

word salad but so far as i can tell:
- one time a mathematics professor got excited about his department publishing a paper in a respected journal
- therefore it's probably safe to assume that heavy tractors won't damage land