Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sounds to me like smoka is making excuses for not being very good at FPSes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

matti posted:

classic was fun to me in two ways:

- it was very raw and no one knew what they were doing, which lead to interesting social encounters
- i was the designated guild dps warrior and was absolutely overpowered in pvp because of how much warrior power scaled with gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGBnjELkgok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcbpIntnG8c

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jabor posted:

I thought the big FPS games (CS, Fortnite) made their bank selling hats, slot machine spins for hats, and subscriptions to indirectly get and/or gamble for hats.

I know there was that star wars game that experimented with slot machine spins for in-game advantages, but I'm pretty sure they abandoned that after all their customers got mad.

Are call of duty and battlefield doing microtransactions for better guns or something?

cod's new overarching design is based around the battle royale mode (warzone), and every new release's guns get added to it and are intentionally balanced to be better in warzone than the previous release's. you can also, if you loot enough cash in a warzone game, spawn in a loadout crate that lets you and your team each spawn one of your custom loadouts from the regular multiplayer, and warzone is entirely balanced around that and not actual on the fly looting. if you have the newest game you can reliably spawn in the best gear and ruin everyone's poo poo with it so long as you can click heads

BF2042's monetization system is cosmetic (as a result of EA microtransactioning their star wars games into oblivion) but the game is also pretty bad so everyone went back to the previous battlefield games lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jabor posted:

I thought the big FPS games (CS, Fortnite) made their bank selling hats, slot machine spins for hats, and subscriptions to indirectly get and/or gamble for hats.

I know there was that star wars game that experimented with slot machine spins for in-game advantages, but I'm pretty sure they abandoned that after all their customers got mad.

Are call of duty and battlefield doing microtransactions for better guns or something?

dont know about cod but latest battlefield doesn't have that, in fact it is so hosed i don't know if it has any microtransactions. generally games are moving towards the battle pass model, you'll pay to get the chance to unlock gun skins and horse armor but mechanical progression is the same for everyone

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEgWTqikm-U

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQhs3y2Lc-E

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6gcmbioqiE&t=59s

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

valve broke all the fun poo poo that 1.6 had and now counterstrike is all boring and poo poo

iirc a pro team almost got banned from a tournament like five or six years ago because they found a way to pixelboost two dudes on top of each other and jump shot over a wall from spawn

matti
Mar 31, 2019

boss

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqB1uoDTdKM

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

bunch of noobs using the same guns and tactics tbh

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jenny Agutter posted:

dont know about cod but latest battlefield doesn't have that, in fact it is so hosed i don't know if it has any microtransactions. generally games are moving towards the battle pass model, you'll pay to get the chance to unlock gun skins and horse armor but mechanical progression is the same for everyone

tbh multiplayer fps games shouldn't have "mechanical progression" at all

as a new player i should get dumpstered by a teenager with hundreds of hours of gameplay because they have better reflexes, better aim, and hundreds of hours of experience and understanding of the flow of the game. not because they just have a better gun than what i'm allowed to use.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/len0killer/status/1407832772559974406?s=21&t=9ZGowV8CYeihH3UV5FdMQQ

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

SmokaDustbowl posted:

UT sucks, I'll quake 3 1on1 you lmao

just kramering in here to say UT > q3a

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jenny Agutter posted:

BF1 had lootboxes, and then BF5 you could buy a 2nd in game currency to get skins iirc.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

the only thing good about CS was surf maps on the old lljk server with the mods that let you blast horrible low bitrate music out

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Cuno's got 10 girlfriends!

edit: I feel like somebody's already made that joke already but more cuno content is always a good thing.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 24, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So, Javi won the bet?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

chaosbreather posted:

really cool video on vr chat, got me to give it another burl and having a pretty chill time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PHT-zBxKQQ

VR chat is one of those third rails that is probably not safe to touch, but certainly is interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTzN2jSfCRc

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

RokosCockatrice posted:

Cuno's got 10 girlfriends!

edit: I feel like somebody's already made that joke already but more cuno content is always a good thing.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I wish I could remember what type of cop I was in my two playthroughs so I can avoid being the same cop again

I think one I was like Mr deduction genius cop and the other.......not sure, captain empathy maybe?

e: wait I must have the saves seeing as I never deleted it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

goddamn i miss ut2004. i tried to pick it up again last year and no one was playing. :smith:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

goddamn i miss ut2004. i tried to pick it up again last year and no one was playing. :smith:

lol, i tested quake 4 and got a free copy as a result. like 4 days after release there was nobody playing

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I wish I could remember what type of cop I was in my two playthroughs so I can avoid being the same cop again

I think one I was like Mr deduction genius cop and the other.......not sure, captain empathy maybe?

e: wait I must have the saves seeing as I never deleted it
art cop is so op you can be basically every other cop also

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

remember ut iii lol

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
people were still playing the ut99 demo version on gamespy as late as 2009, lol

i remember because they literally only went for telefrags with the translocator and were scary good at it

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Tribes 2 is still the best multiplayer shooter of that generation IMO and still has a community https://www.playt2.com/ (at least when I checked a few years ago it was active)

I think BC2 is the only modern multiplayer game to come close / surpass it?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

shazbot!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1529103463350673410

Lol what is Sony doing?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

one would think that a $3 game would not need to hit game pass for me to get around it, but vampire survivors is indeed v. chill and good

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

now i definitely feel better about not bothering to game the auto-upgrade existing sub nonsense for psnow.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
wtf is a stacked sub

i don't understand anything in that twitter post

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

wtf is a stacked sub

i don't understand anything in that twitter post

it means they prepaid for multiple years of the service. now sony wants them to pay the upgrade fee for the entire duration of their subscription, rather than just upgrade the current period and have it revert to the lower tier after that period ends unless the next period's upgrade fee is paid by then

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

my ps+ (current) is good until june 2023. i'll probably let it lapse for at least a month. if discounts become known to happen around black friday or w/e i'll just pick it up again then, or otherwise wait until there's a month with a """free""" game i actually want

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah it goes kinda like this AFAICT:

normally a year of PS+ costs $50 (made up number)

sometimes there’s a sale and a year costs $40

people would buy, say, 3 years of + during this sale, saving $30

now Sony introduces a new premium tier of plus that costs $60 per year. people want to try it, including people who bought multiple discount years

if you already banked 3 years of + at $40 and want to try premium, Sony wants you to pay $30 (the extra $10 per year from the price rising to $60) and then another $30 (to undo the $10 per year you originally saved)

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

time to call up my previous jobs and let them know that if they want to keep running my code in production they'll have to send me a check to account for what I would have cost at my current salary

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Now that's ownership

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

haveblue posted:

yeah it goes kinda like this AFAICT:

normally a year of PS+ costs $50 (made up number)

sometimes there’s a sale and a year costs $40

people would buy, say, 3 years of + during this sale, saving $30

now Sony introduces a new premium tier of plus that costs $60 per year. people want to try it, including people who bought multiple discount years

if you already banked 3 years of + at $40 and want to try premium, Sony wants you to pay $30 (the extra $10 per year from the price rising to $60) and then another $30 (to undo the $10 per year you originally saved)

SaaSafras

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

chaosbreather posted:

really cool video on vr chat, got me to give it another burl and having a pretty chill time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PHT-zBxKQQ

it looks fascinating, I don't know if I'd enjoy spending a ton of time in a vr headset though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

and I just can't for the life of me see facebook's version of vrchat going anywhere. who actually wants a super sterile version of that? most people don't even care about vr stuff.