Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Tropical forests cover just a few percent of the Earth’s terrestrial surface, but they host a dizzying share of its biodiversity and play a pivotal role in mitigating climate change by sequestering and storing atmospheric carbon dioxide in their stems, leaves, and soils. They are also culturally, spiritually and materially vital for the survival of communities who live in and manage them across the world.

From the Amazon basin, to the Congo, to the peat forests of Kalimantan, indigenous communities play a central role in protecting these forests. For millennia, forest-dwelling communities have intentionally planted species, burned forests to enrich soils, and managed animal species. The physical and biological community structure of a tropical forest is the product of an intimate relationship between the forest itself and its human caretakers: a relationship that is ancient, complex, mysterious, and very much alive today.

Alas, an evil faction of right bastards is devoted to destroying these forests for profit!

Post-colonial governments of the global South, indigenous communities, urban workers, sprawling billion-dollar environmental non-profits, and multinational corporate ghouls all jockey for influence over tropical forest landscapes, using what tools are at their disposal to shape the future of these forests in accordance with their political and economic aims.

Can the unstable and often fragmented coalition of forest protectors unite to identify and out-organize the well-equipped global cabal of capital that will stop at nothing to maximize their gains at the cost of the planet’s future?!

------------------------------------------

This is a mafia game for 13 players. I would deem it swingy. On a spiciness scale of 1-5 peppers, I would rate this game as a 4ish: some roles you've never exactly seen before and some alignment fuckery. I will say that the game starts with 3 full scum with a shared chat. There are no jesters or other 'bastard mod' roles that I know of. Also I've never run a game on SA before so please know going in the game can be swingy, and there may be some administrative/tech bumps along the way. Thanks for bearing with me! All teams certainly have a chance of winning, but the game may not be 'balanced' in a rigorous sense. When I ran it before it worked well, but, ya know.

Discord server link: https://discord.gg/K7Zg69T2BC

Rules
Standard mafia rules apply:

- Please be excellent to each other, avoid personal insults and attacks. Good rule of thumb is, attack the argument not the player. If you find yourself getting IRL mad/heated please take a breather. Assume that things people say to/about you are not personal attacks on you out-of-game, and likewise don't break this good faith by being an out-of-game dickhead to people.
- Do not edit your posts except to fix pronouns, you can add a note that says "[Edited for pronouns]" if you do this
- Do not post about game business after the hammer, if it looks like I’m not going to be around when it drops feel free to remind other posters! This includes if auto-hammer does not fire for whatever reason.
- Do not directly quote role pm’s or other mod correspondence in thread or in any OOT channels unless given specific permission from a mod.
- If a player takes a day action in the thread, pause posting until I can resolve it
- Do not fake day actions.
- Scum have fakeclaims, you can't break the game by mass-claiming unless I really hosed something up
- I've run this game (with some modifications) on another forum before, by signing up for this game you agree that you haven't seen it and you won't look for it, don't be a cheater ;)
- Lurker rules: 10 posts per game day unless the day ends early, in which case I'll relax this. First violation = warning second = modkill. I reserve the right to fudge these things for good excuses, and to look for replacements if that seems appropriate

Eliminations and schedule

This game will run on a 72hour cycle with at least 48hr days and at most 24 hour nights. Deadlines will be at 4pm EDT. Night actions due 24 hours after deadline. Days may start early if all actions are in early.

Eliminations will be by PLURALITY vote at deadline if there is no majority hammer. To vote for a player please use the format ##vote playername and ##unvote to unvote.
All commands must be placed within bold format brackets to be picked up by votefinder (e.g [ b ] ##vote shwinnebego [ /b ], without the spaces).

Night Actions
All night actions will receive one of the following results regardless of their effect:

Your action was successful = Your action has successfully resolved.

Your action failed = Your action was blocked in some way and has not resolved.

Players:

1. AnonymousNarcotics (they/them)
  2. Bifauxnen (surprise me)
  3. girl dick energy (She/Her)
  4. Grandicap (He, Him)
  5. Hal Insandenza (he/him/hal)
  6. Lotus Aura (they/their/them)
  7. Maerlyn (she/her)
  8. OMGVBFLOL
  9. Opopanax (He/him/opop)
  10. PlasticAutomaton (He/Him/Whatever)
  11. SporkChan
  12. tpink
  13. binus

End of Day 1
End of Day 2
End of Day 3

shwinnebego fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sure, why not

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I too, will be a player in this game.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I'm in. :3

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Fourth

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Small game? Nice; in!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
New mod? I'm in.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Please note that I haven't finalized the voting style/schedule yet, I originally made this game to work on plurality voting and if I switch it over to majority I may have to adjust some things for balance/coherence so I'll likely end up running it on plurality. I'll make a last minute decision and let ya'll know

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

In honor of this incredible night for Auspol, I will temporarily exit hiatus to play one (1) game of mafia

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

In honor of this incredible night for Auspol, I will temporarily exit hiatus to play one (1) game of mafia

Yooo what a loving relief. Game flavor is certainly relevant! In the 2010s Australia moved AUSAID into the ministry of commerce or trade or whatever, which basically made the link between, for example, their Kalimantan Peatland Restoration initiative even more explicitly about upping commodity production (rather than supporting any more holistic vision for well-being among the local Dayak population on their own terms or whatever)

Hopefully this election signals more climate finance from Aus (in addition to less max-bogon fashiness). Thank you for your service! o7

shwinnebego fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 21, 2022

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Yes.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
ill join

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.
I gotta get some use out of my new AV (thanks Grandi!) so ill play.

Probably won't be too active this coming weekend though, US Memorial Day and all.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

FOMO is setting in and I haven't played with Bif in a minute, so let's do it.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

SporkChan posted:

I gotta get some use out of my new AV (thanks Grandi!) so ill play.

Probably won't be too active this coming weekend though, US Memorial Day and all.

All good, depending on when we fill up I can fudge the D1 deadlines so the weekend doesn't gently caress things up too bad

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Is there room for me?

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Yep I think that fills it up assuming everyone’s still in. Binus you should post in the thread and everyone else should join discord

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

All players cease posting. Role cards are going out.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

The provincial capitol of Nueva Esperanza - a name suggested unironically by the Jesuits who ran the place after the monstrous rubber barons no longer found it profitable to maintain their sordid suite of tortures in the early 20th century - is nestled in a remote part of the Amazon basin, far from the centers of post-colonial state power. Inaccessible to the rest of the world by road, the province hosts untold biodiversity, rich carbon sinks, and, for better and for worse, tremendous natural resource wealth.

At a round table in the small capitol building, a meeting has been convened. The bombastic provincial mayor inaugurates the meeting with the expected fanfare, delivering a confident soliloquy declaring that the people of the province must come together and find ways to balance the competing needs of environmental conservation and economic development.

Representatives of foreign aid agencies and US-based environmental non-profits deliver a routine and rather mind-numbing presentation on their new partnership with local communities and private companies to make timber and commodity production sustainable.

A few journalists take notes and whisper to one another towards the back of the room.

All of a sudden, one of the mayor’s assistants dashes into the room and frantically whispers something in the mayor’s ear.

The mayor interrupts the meeting to announce that the early-alert system has found that a massive swathe of community-owned forest has been destroyed!

Heavy machinery and bulldozers have been discovered in the area, but no one has stepped forward to take responsibility for it. It is unclear exactly when the forests were cleared, and no one seems to know how the machinery appeared there. Members of the community have reported that they discovered the beginnings of a petroleum well, with the sordid black substance leaking into local waterways. And a network of small new access roads appeared apparently overnight in community territory, roads laid out in the infamous fishbone pattern, the harbinger of clear-cutting for cash crops.

Community members have blockaded the road, and are apparently carrying out their own investigations.

The head of the US Conservation non-profit helming the meeting is quick to declare, “There is always room for economic development, to be sure! We do not oppose it, and indeed we welcome it! But this sounds like a procedural oversight, and we must come together to hold those responsible accountable!”

The journalists roll their eyes, knowing that news of this will travel quickly to the city, to other parts of the countryside, and eventually to the bourgeois environmentalists of the global North who will likely send twitter abuzz with this story for a few hours before promptly forgetting about it.

The representatives of the local sustainable timber company remain silent. A representative of a European Aid Agency pipes up, her voice filled with earnest concern: “Unchecked deforestation in this region will result in catastrophic greenhouse gas emissions! We need these forests to remain standing so that we can meet our emissions reductions targets. We are prepared to bring to bear what resources we can to deliver justice and build a sustainable future here. Please be assured that empowering local communities is our top priority!” This elicits a mirthful laugh from a couple of young men who work for the sustainable logging firm.

One of the journalists pipes up: they managed to get ahold of an encrypted cable from a thumb drive that was hastily left at the site of the abandoned heavy machinery. They can’t make heads or tails of the exchange, but it does appear that three distinct entities have been exchanging encrypted messages!

A crescendo of chatter overtakes the room. After some discussion, there is quick agreement: we must discover who is behind this!

GM Notes: This game may feature vote manipulation and shifting alignments!

Day 1 has begun. The first vote deadline is [b]Thursday, May 26th at 4:00pm EDT

You may commence posting!

shwinnebego fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 24, 2022

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (12): AnonymousNarcotics, Bifauxnen, girl dick energy, Grandicap, Hal Insandenza, Lotus Aura, Maerlyn, OMGVBFLOL, Opopanax, PlasticAutomaton, SporkChan, tpink

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is May 26th, 2022 at 4 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 2 days, 2 hours.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

im here to like

save the environment and stuff?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Hi

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Save the treeeeeees :2bong:

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hello New Esperanza friends!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Save the treeeeeees :2bong:
omg yes blaze it

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Burning trees sounds like a real bad way to stop deforestation to me, a professional buzzkill.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Hal Insandenza posted:

Hello New Esperanza friends!

Trying to whitewash the name of our capitol? Clearly colonizing scum.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pls6OyJpCWg

we should totally roll up a start together

[b]##vote b-minus[b]

his av is super ick

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

loool omg

i meant ##vote b-minus

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Welcome back Mason Buddy.

##vote: Bif

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

girl dick energy posted:

loool omg

i meant ##vote b-minus

No

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

No acknowledgement from my nemesis... that's just rude, like I'm compostable garbage :qq:

##vote Plastic

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Buenos noches

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

If this breaks the game, I apologize.

But I am a third party White Environmentalist. My current win condition is to survive to endgame, however, I have alignment switching mechanics.
If I am voted out, and am the first White Environmentalist to be voted out, I become scum aligned. I will flip as 3p ??? and then come back to life the following day, but I will be AUX-EVIL/FOREST Destroyer aligned.

My alignment can also become FOREST PROTECTOR/TOWN-aligned, if I end D1 with 0 votes.

And here is the kicker, and why I am making the claim. If ALL WHITE ENVIRONMENTALISTS become town-aligned, it opens a masonry with all of them.

So, there are multiple people with my role, the alignment fuckery part of the game, and I am hoping the only alignment fuckery part of the game. And if we all force our town alignment, we essentially confirm eachother, either they are in the masonry (and therefore switched from 3-p to town), or there is no masonry created, and 1 or more didn't make it in.

I am proposing that all WHITE ENVIRONMENTALISTs, claim, and we make sure none of them get any votes for d1. This will create a CONFIRMED TOWN MASONRY and, more importantly, deprive the scum team of getting a new member.

If anyone votes anyone who claims WHITE ENVIRONMENTALIST day 1, then they both are anti-creation of a confirmed town masonry AND pro adding an additional member to the scum team.

If someone claims WHITE ENVIRONMENTALIST and they are not a member of the masonry that is created, the true members will know they lied, so scum can't fake claim it.

If you are a WHITE ENVIRONMENTALIST and are considering not claiming so that you can become scum later, now that the cat is out of the bag, people will know if you flip 3p aligned-??? and come back to life, that you are now scum, so I took that victory angle from you, might as well hop on the fun wagon.

I don't see holes in this theory, I'm sure I've missed something though.

tl;dr: If you are a WHITE ENVIRONMENTALIST claim loudly and proudly and get in a confirmed town masonry with me. If you are not, don't vote for those who did claim. Anyone who lies will be found out D2 as long as we are honest actors about it.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
Lol

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

omg me too!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

God it's really tempting to vote grandi now

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Opopanax posted:

God it's really tempting to vote grandi now

Because you are scum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU