Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

is this what they mean by “start doing the work and then we’ll promote you” :negative:

no no no you have to stop DOING work and start asking other people to do the work. when they say "ok fine" you get promoted #leadership #impact #MakingHardDecisions

also planning :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

where does “your decisions and plans are bad and you should feel bad” fall into this

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if everybody's mad, that sounds like high impact to me!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Achmed Jones posted:

you dont have to get a new job to go to bed

look at hbag for example

but i have to go to bed for my new job
so

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

cjs: made a doc a while ago about setting up kubectl for one of our projects that says "add these entries to your .aws/config file exactly as shown" and am currently fielding a question from a teammate saying "I'm following the doc but getting 403s, what do I do to fix it?"

"Did you copy it exactly as shown?"

"No I changed the AWS account numbers"

:thumbsup:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Every day for about 2 or 3 weeks now I've spent more time working on and researching my car than doing my actual paying job and it's been so fulfilling. They're starting to catch on and ask when I'm going to be done with my current thing but they can squirm a bit longer.

At some point I'm going to get it to shift into 2nd at just the right spot and I'll lose my poo poo lol

Puttering down the street at 25mph hootin' and hollerin' like I just won Le Mans

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

cjs waiting for postgres major version upgrade. probably going to be waiting for a while. well, this seems like a good excuse to not get anything done

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Achmed Jones posted:

he saves children, but not the british children
he saves children, but not the british children
(i heard that motherfucker has, like, 30 goddamn dicks)

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Pollyanna posted:

4 hours

4 hours of meetings straight

I should build an AI that listens on meetings for you, and if your name is mentioned it gives you a notification with the text of the question. The premium version would synthesize your voice to create stock responses.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
hocky

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
lmao oilers scored 21 seconds in

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Pollyanna posted:

2.5 hours of meetings and I have absorbed nothing.

in one ear and out the other

god drat why do you need me in these meetings!!!! who books a solid 3.5 hours of meetings!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY7jSesdxl0

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
cjs: a systems engineering team asked me to fix a program written by an (actual) engineer and the solution was just adding a data structure from first year bs cs poo poo. they had given up on the program and set it by the wayside for three years because they couldn't figure out how to handle signal inputs being interrupted by new signals before ending

is this a cjs moment ??? i'm still learning how to post !!!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

this series kicks rear end

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

lord fifth posted:

cjs: a systems engineering team asked me to fix a program written by an (actual) engineer and the solution was just adding a data structure from first year bs cs poo poo. they had given up on the program and set it by the wayside for three years because they couldn't figure out how to handle signal inputs being interrupted by new signals before ending

It is a very cjs moment, congrats!!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we've all (and i mean we have all) struggled with my kpop jags, but man if every part of this song was extended 2x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjCZfZfucEc

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Reminds me of the very first thing I fixed as a professional dev 18 years ago when I worked at a bearing manufacturer and was the first and only programmer. One of the MEs had written a job to sort scans of drawings and it took > 24 hours because they did selection sort, which is pretty intuitive if you'e never learned algos. Switched to heap sort and it ran in 10 minutes and I was basically King Sort of gently caress Mountain

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gently caress it we roll tiger jk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54UOZDwQDyw

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
skinny ties and SKS rifles

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQg4VCB3bYw

fuckin

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
theres a new michael jackson on the scene ngl

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

lord fifth posted:

Fortaleza posted:

Reminds me of the very first thing I fixed as a professional dev 18 years ago when I worked at a bearing manufacturer and was the first and only programmer. One of the MEs had written a job to sort scans of drawings and it took > 24 hours because they did selection sort, which is pretty intuitive if you'e never learned algos. Switched to heap sort and it ran in 10 minutes and I was basically King Sort of gently caress Mountain

im an electrical engineer who makes lovely matlab scripts to process data dumps from like an oscope or something, and i pray an actual programmer never sees them

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Raluek posted:

im an electrical engineer who makes lovely matlab scripts to process data dumps from like an oscope or something, and i pray an actual programmer never sees them

Learn to use python. The numpy package blows Matlab out of the water.

And Matlab is a 1-indexed language *shudder*

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah we always larp like computertouchers dont know anything about anything and you read some actualstufftoucher engineer code and then you realize we might know some things

gotta continue the larp tho

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

cjs: new projects financials are in the toilet. boss is trying to make me spend my time arguing with people to save just 3 figgies on a multi million dollar project. lol.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

quarantinethepast posted:

Learn to use python. The numpy package blows Matlab out of the water.

And Matlab is a 1-indexed language *shudder*

i use my current thing cause im familiar with it, and it works well enough, not because its the best tool for the job

plus my past experiences with python have been negative

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

dont you feel a thrill of excitement every time you change up your tools???

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
oh yeah hillel waynes crossover project thing noted that all his interviewees who used to be actualstufftoucher engineers and now touch computers note that dvcs and ci/cd is brutally superior to what actualstufftouchers have

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bob dobbs is dead posted:

oh yeah hillel waynes crossover project thing noted that all his interviewees who used to be actualstufftoucher engineers and now touch computers note that dvcs and ci/cd is brutally superior to what actualstufftouchers have

at my company, the mechanical/electrical/etc guys have a shared drive on the local intranet. theres no more tooling than that for managing changes or versions of things

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
unless you’re doing industry things where you need to use some proprietary stuff that interfaces with matlab you should 100% use python instead

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

julia.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
not if you dont like serious breaking bugs throughout the ecosystem lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well known ecosystem concerned with stability and compatibility; python

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
at this point, unironically yes. theres never gonna be a python 4, and scientific python apis have stayed rock stable for much of a decade now

its the new fortran. julia had its chance and mostly failed at getting to prod

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

at this point, unironically yes. theres never gonna be a python 4, and scientific python apis have stayed rock stable for much of a decade now

its the new fortran. julia had its chance and mostly failed at getting to prod

We live in a sick, sad world (I agree though)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
at least it doesnt cost pre-oss scientific software money like matlab does

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I haven't had to use matlab on a daily basis in almost 5 years and I thank some higher power every day (that I don't have to use it)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i started in matlab, doing image processing. it was a good introduction to software but im full glad to have moved on

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

2.5 hours of meetings and I have absorbed nothing.

in one ear and out the other

god drat why do you need me in these meetings!!!! who books a solid 3.5 hours of meetings!!

the meetings should have agendas and like notes/actionable things as a product 100% of the time for those involved

so either you're the one making decisions or the one doing the thing. if neither, then yeah you shouldn't probably be in that meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

also python rules but is slow and has an oddly terrible deployment story that they've been trying to work on

don't let anyone itt try to convince you otherwise