Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best character on N. Exposure?
Ed (teenage film maker)
Joel (dctor)
Maggie (bush pilot)
Chris in the Monrningg (DJ)
Holling (old dude)
Shelly (peppy girl, holling's wife)
the old Astronaut guy (old asstronaut)
Joel's secretary (wise woman)
Bernard (chris' half brother)
Adam (cook, possible yeti)
Eve (hypochondrack supreme)
wow i made way too manu options for this poll
ilke, a lot too many
this is ridiculous
uhhhhh
oh yeah, Ed's grandfather! wise man
Anthony Edwards (bubble boy)
ummmmm
i wanna say there was another waitress?
goku
View Results

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZvq5EiL6T8

northern exposure is a real forgotten classic, mostly only forgotten because some musicians on the soundtrack refuse to let them re-release the show, which is just, so dumb

but it was amazing in the arly 90s as a great socal barometer. it had the first gay wedding on TV, and if you can beieve it, they had to cut away and NOT SHOW the two dudes kissing because it was that controversial

but ten later on they showed two women kissing because the town was founded by a lesbian couple as a kind of mea culpa because they got called out hard for not showing the wedding kiss

they tackled a bunch of issues of the time, mostly racism and environmental issues, as was the style in the 90s. it was Earth Day Every Day my friends

show is heckin amazing and hold sup great if you can actually find a way to watch it :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i like the sopranos is this show like the sopranos?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Anal exposure

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I just watched this show last year after having memories of my parents watching when I was a kid. It’s really good.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Nooner posted:

ya

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Nooner posted:

yes, in fact some wojuld say that the sopranos was heavily influenced by northern exposure for example the classic episde where steve buscemi shows up and kills a bunch of peopkle was later copied line for line by the sopranos

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Northern exposure was a good show no cap

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

the sopranos was dumb i hate the little hats they wear and that dudes eyes are freakish

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
i loved that show right up until the very last episode. when the guy hit the button on the chess clock and it went *DING* i screamed gently caress YOU and kicked my tv to death.

voted 2

e: i'm glad it's dead gently caress that stupid show

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

the chick who walked around with that piece of wood and i was like aww yea i'll give you a piece of wood you can stroke and talk to

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Discount Twin Peaks

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Northern exposure is what i call it when i pop my boner outta the top of my pants

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Devils Affricate posted:

Discount Twin Peaks

many people ITT cast this asperision and, i just don't see it

thei're both shows that take place in a cold remote little town what has quirky characters but that's it

on top of that the whole "ensemble show of weirdos" was a thing like... forever. you might as well say it ripped off Cheers, or Taxi... whch it did! but, wasn't trying to do the twin peaks magic at all

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i remember watching this show in like 1991 and it's boring as poo poo. isn't it about ppl in like alaska? lmao

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYN8oRwRYJQ

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hell Yeah posted:

i remember watching this show in like 1991 and it's boring as poo poo. isn't it about ppl in like alaska? lmao

to be fair, you have to have a really high emotional IQ to understand Northern Exposure

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
not a checkbox poll voted gently caress you

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
My brother moved to Alaska in 2003 at least partially predicated on the idea of it being like the show.

its not.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

precision posted:

to be fair, you have to have a really high emotional IQ to understand Northern Exposure

gotta have a really low regular IQ to believe this.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I loved the radio DJ philosopher dude but never really liked the aspiring film maker guy that much.

The ancient restaurant owner and hunter guy who took pictures instead of shooting animals and his like 22 year old lover was kinda weird.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

g o k u

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
The thing I remember about this show, is I read somewhere something like "if you're disappointed that Twin Peaks has ended, watch Northern Exposure."

I watched a few episodes and it was nothing like Twin Peaks.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i get this show confused with due south

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

numberoneposter posted:

but thats the polar opposite...

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

numberoneposter posted:

Now there's a great show, it had a deaf wolf. Mods, please make this thread about due south now TIA.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Bula Vinaka posted:

The thing I remember about this show, is I read somewhere something like "if you're disappointed that Twin Peaks has ended, watch Northern Exposure."

I watched a few episodes and it was nothing like Twin Peaks.

They had an early episode poking fun at that comparison where they are looking through binoculars and describing seeing the Log Lady iirc

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

precision posted:

many people ITT cast this asperision and, i just don't see it

thei're both shows that take place in a cold remote little town what has quirky characters but that's it

on top of that the whole "ensemble show of weirdos" was a thing like... forever. you might as well say it ripped off Cheers, or Taxi... whch it did! but, wasn't trying to do the twin peaks magic at all

Yeah, Northern Exposure is, if anything, Twin Peaks without the murder and confusion, and I've always been completely fine with that. Good show.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

i liked the episode where a moose was wondering around the town and everyone kept saying "THE MOOSE IS LOOSE!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

numberoneposter posted:

IIRC due south was literally trying to be "the other Northern Exposure", kind of like how they would have two Law and Orders at the same time. it wasn't subtle, it was like "yeah we're just doing that"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
another classic "small town ensemble show" was Picket Fences which you actually can watch on Prime, and it is VERY good too

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Northern Exposure was where I first heard the term “bitchin’”, as like a positive adjective

I keep hoping that one’ll come back as a trend, but there probably just isn’t enough to be that enthusiastic about anymore :smith:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

No Walt in the poll? Amateur move OP.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I watched a lot of it as a kid in-between episodes of Wings

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AcidCat posted:

No Walt in the poll? Amateur move OP.

i gotta be honest, i somehow completely forgot about Walt and Ruth Anne until i watched the video

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Mannnn, I really want to watch this show! I loved watching it as a kid, and have no actual memories of watching it. It must have been pretty profound.

Edit: Just bought the complete series on DVD for $37 on Amazon, thanks op!

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Remember Wings? it was a sitcom, but still p good

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i never seen it so I asked terry if it was any good and he spit blood at me so it sounds like it's piss sorry op

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

runnypoops posted:

Northern exposure is what i call it when i pop my boner outta the top of my pants

How many viewers does it get?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1T1_TnNa7Y

Nein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

runnypoops posted:

The moose is loose!