Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the playstation 5. lmao who even knows someone with one of those

i have one and never ever use it. the store sent me an e-mail saying "hey we have a lot coming for sale at [time]" and... they did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
image leeching

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

hit counters

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

web rings, guestbooks, and sites promising to have nude pics of every female celebrity which you could only see by voting for the site in at least five ranking sites.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sweevo posted:

web rings, guestbooks, and sites promising to have nude pics of every female celebrity which you could only see by voting for the site in at least five ranking sites.

qsvui posted:

image leeching

Navigating through broken image links through memorized rote mouse clicks, but the url's are still there. Hypnospace Outlaw captured that feeling so well.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

image maps

mystes
May 31, 2006

yeah but server side or client side? don't keep us in suspense

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

mystes posted:

client side?

aren't those called tables?

edit: gently caress, clearly I forgot

mystes
May 31, 2006

The trend of splitting images into tables was a little later

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

didnt some adobe product have a feature for generating the image fragments and html table for an image? i remember doing that for a gaming clan webpage in 1999 or so

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah dreamweaver would do all the code and cut-ups for client side imagemaps

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

motherfuckin cgi-bin

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

nudgenudgetilt posted:

motherfuckin cgi-bin

literally triggered lol what an awful era

mystes
May 31, 2006

nudgenudgetilt posted:

motherfuckin cgi-bin
Luckily we no longer have a model where individual functions are spun up in response to http requests in 2022

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

:cry:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

nudgenudgetilt posted:

motherfuckin cgi-bin

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah dreamweaver would do all the code and cut-ups for client side imagemaps

photoshop would do a slices export with some light html to hold it in place. it'd generate mouse behaviors from layers so you could make an image button that was textless and i'm guessing also not a button

it was very much a weak attempt to offer webpage functionality before they shrugged and bought macromedia wholesale

mystes
May 31, 2006

It was not that weak at the time because literally everyone was making web pages with sliced images in tables for a couple years.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

i added an image map to a website in 2018 because i was being paid to move a bunch of stuff from a government site into wordpress, and that was part of it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

mystes posted:

It was not that weak at the time because literally everyone was making web pages with sliced images in tables for a couple years.

tables for layout really hosed up the web for a long time, and then CSS came along and fixed it, except MS were too dumb to understand what the words "height" and "width" mean, so everyone had to write hacky css for years instead :doh:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mystes posted:

true, true. as a competitor to full dreamweaver it wasn't much but as a page maker it was handy. i only remember it because i used it for sites like everyone else back then lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Not funny but tech poo poo I just remembered: Truetype typefaces (can) contain text. A lot of the time it's a description of the typeface and/or info about the foundry/designer. But you couldn't view it without installing an extra tool in Windows Whatever.

mystes
May 31, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Not funny but tech poo poo I just remembered: Truetype typefaces (can) contain text. A lot of the time it's a description of the typeface and/or info about the foundry/designer. But you couldn't view it without installing an extra tool in Windows Whatever.
Thank you for your TTF Talk

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

what’s about .dtf fonts?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Armitag3 posted:

what’s about .dtf fonts?

I was excited until I learned that was the name of the font, not the description.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Volmarias posted:

I was excited until I learned that was the name of the font, not the description.

would u gently caress a font

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

only wingdings

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Gentle Autist posted:

*typeface

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
yeah, kern all over my typeface

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Gentle Autist posted:

Times New Roman isn't wearing anything under that toga. :quagmire:

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

comic glands

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
comic glans is right there

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Gentle Autist posted:

is that a serif in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

helvetitty

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

consolass

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I am voluntary Calibri

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

nudgenudgetilt posted:

motherfuckin cgi-bin

mystes posted:

Luckily we no longer have a model where individual functions are spun up in response to http requests in 2022

EXCUSE ME this is called "serverless" now and it's actually extremely cool. :mad:

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Silver Alicorn posted:

comic glans is right there

That's what I meant, drat

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

posting about a-10 attack! in the donkey tech thread reminded me...

there was a mac updater engine that allowed itself to be shipped configured only to check for files to update by matching the name of the file to its own list... and nothing else. also, if you didn't have whatever file it was looking for, it would go ahead and tell you "Couldn't find $THIS_FILE. Exiting."

since it didn't check filesize, checksum, or contents in any way, if you were dedicated enough, you could fail your way through creating however many text files named $THIS_FILE, $THAT_FILE, and so on, until you had created a directory full of text files that the updater then happily replaced with actual, functioning content. that's my "how i got to play a-10 cuba" success story, though i never did find another software vendor that goofed it up as bad as parsoft (rip).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

people giving hard drives bad reviews because they didn't understand formatted vs unformatted capacity or the 1000 vs 1024 thing.

"SCAM! THIS 40GB DRIVE ONLY HAS 36GB SPACE DO NOT BUY!!!!"