Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Go figure that Final was about vaccines given the hysteria about monkeypox of late. Add the host and :kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I mean I figured it must've been polio or possibly measles/mumps/rubella. Actually surprised none of them got it but sometimes it be that way. At least Mayim feels a bit more comfortable as host, or maybe my standards are just so incredibly low.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'd heard it described recently as long-polio, as a comparison to COVID, so it came to mind right away. The problem for me, as always, is that I can't remember words off the top of my head, so I turned to my wife and asked what FDR had. I'd be poo poo on jeopardy.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

ninjahedgehog posted:

I pieced it together at the last second by trying to think of diseases that old people may have had in their youth, but are now eradicated. Measles was a good guess though

Yeah I got it right away but it was totally an educated guess not any actual knowledge which is pretty much my MO with Jeopardy.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Albino Squirrel posted:

My greatest fear is getting locked out of a category that I should know thanks to my career.

I think the questions in the jargony categories sometimes have to twist themselves into knots to lead laypeople to the correct responses in a way that makes them more challenging to professionals. The information's correct, but it's worded in a way that no sane person in that field would ever think of putting it.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Another interesting coincidence: a question about Vangelis, days after he died. RIP.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Harry Privates posted:

Since you’re posting do you mind explaining how you train for this?

Finally remembering this.....

There's no easy list of things to know, but if you take data you can guide your preparations (both my wife and I are scientists....this is the way).

I use an app to track my performance while playing along each day which produces a Coryat Score (since I ignore DD wagering, I just practice coming up with the correct wager if I were the player who got it with that score situation). I also specifically track correct, incorrect, and no responses in each category. Then you can see trends in which categories are strong vs struggling over time; not specific categories, more general overarching groups of categories (geography, US history, world history, politics, science, art, sports, etc.).

Example: This showed me that my performance in bible-centric categories was abysmal. I reread the entire bible and studied some Cliff's Notes equivalents and my performance dramatically increased over the course of two months. I can also see my performance in science categories is so high that I can completely ignore trying to prep (physics and astronomy I'm still X-0-0).

The other half of this is a bit more related to approaching the game strategically. It's a marathon, not a sprint. The key isn't just knowing the answers, it's recalling them quickly, but also not burning yourself out a few categories (or rounds or games) in if you get going on a streak. It takes a certain effort, which can be indirectly measured by tracking latency time between the clue being revealed and coming up with the response. This also helps with training to read the clue and ignore the host reading it to gain a bit more time.

I can improve this by simply knowing more things, but there are diminishing returns. More useful: I can strategically allocate where I invest that energy. I can analyze past clues to determine the most common topics and make sure those I have down pat: Know the presidents in order (and the years of their holding office), world countries and capitals, British monarchs and PMs, bodies of water, etc. The idea is if these are basically automatic, you conserve your mental energy that can then be reserved for the more niche categories that make you think harder.

I use RemNote to create documents compiling these things which lets me compile flashcard decks. Sporcle is also really helpful for drilling on some of these topics, especially the geography ones.

Through all of that, just take data constantly. Tracking your performance lets you see progress and adjust your focus as you grow. You need to know what needs to be shored up, but you also need to know when to say it's good enough so you can move on to the next thing. You'll see diminishing returns and your performance metric flattens out. These metrics are things like accuracy (% correct) and also speed (# correct per fixed time interval). There's no absolute number to aim for, it's more just looking for that curve flattening to see that any additional gains wouldn't be worth the additional effort.

There are some books that are pretty much mandatory reading, and others that are helpful to have read. Right now I'm in the middle of rereading all of Shakespeare this year and my second time through Hirsch's Dictionary of Cultural Literacy (one of those mandatory ones). I read a lot, but even I can't get through everything, so I read a lot of synopses and Cliff's Notes style things to make sure I know my literature.

The last component is the buzzer. I haven't quite gotten to the point of building my own buzzer system like others have in the past, but I hone my reaction time on various video games that require fast reflexes (seems to work well enough, I was pretty dominant on the buzzer at the practice game at my audition anyway, so I don't really work on this too actively).

In the end there's no easy way to write a catch-all study guide or anything. Aside from the most frequent categories and responses guiding things that should be automatic, the rest is a matter of tracking what you need to work on and continuing to track over time to see that your approach to studying is working.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Harry Privates posted:

Since you’re posting do you mind explaining how you train for this?

Some chess grand masters do endurance training as part of prep for tournaments and I can't help but wonder, given the long shooting days and need for quick recall and button action, if that is part of J! prep too.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I use an app to track my performance while playing along each day which produces a Coryat Score

What app?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dienes posted:

Some chess grand masters do endurance training as part of prep for tournaments and I can't help but wonder, given the long shooting days and need for quick recall and button action, if that is part of J! prep too.

Yes, I did this. In the month leading up to it I was doing seven games in a row a day, this was back when there was that one DailyMotion account that had every episode from the previous year up.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HookShot posted:

Yes, I did this. In the month leading up to it I was doing seven games in a row a day, this was back when there was that one DailyMotion account that had every episode from the previous year up.

No I mean physically, they are marathon running and triathalon swimming because they burn like 6000 calories a day playing chess.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dienes posted:

No I mean physically, they are marathon running and triathalon swimming because they burn like 6000 calories a day playing chess.

Oh, I see. No, I didn't do that, but I can also confidently say I did not burn 6000 calories on my Jeoparday.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Oh, I see. No, I didn't do that, but I can also confidently say I did not burn 6000 calories on my Jeoparday.

In a serious note you’re also pretty in shape though , so it’s kind of a you were already there ?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So are we now in the age of the Super Champion or something?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Ban steroids from professional Jeopardy imo

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Change the buzzers so that if you’re wrong you get a painful electric shock.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Change the buzzers so that if you’re wrong Mayim gets painful electric shock.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I would just like to say that Ryan is awesome. That is all.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Orzo posted:

I would just like to say that Ryan is awesome. That is all.

He sounds very sad every time he has to pick a clue.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

In a serious note you’re also pretty in shape though , so it’s kind of a you were already there ?

This actually is true and I got a weird look from a coach who walked in on me working out normally the week before I flew out while listening to a podcast on roman history through my speakers in the middle of a set of squats.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

HookShot posted:

This actually is true and I got a weird look from a coach who walked in on me working out normally the week before I flew out while listening to a podcast on roman history through my speakers in the middle of a set of squats.

Mike Duncan or Patrick Wyman? Because Wyman is also a big muscly buff guy, I believe

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Mike Duncan or Patrick Wyman? Because Wyman is also a big muscly buff guy, I believe

No, I used to ski race competitively and we had a dedicated gym in our club where I used to train. It was one of my racing coaches.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I didn't know James Bond ate so much.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

HookShot posted:

No, I used to ski race competitively and we had a dedicated gym in our club where I used to train. It was one of my racing coaches.

Oh I was asking if it was one of those two guys' Roman history podcasts, lol

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Oh I was asking if it was one of those two guys' Roman history podcasts, lol

OMFG I'm sorry, yesterday was a day and apparently I don't have a brain anymore.

Yes, it was Mike Duncan's. I love it so much.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Guess I'll add that to my queue. Roman history is coming up in my list of things to shore up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

OMFG I'm sorry, yesterday was a day and apparently I don't have a brain anymore.

Yes, it was Mike Duncan's. I love it so much.

I was hoping for the plot twist that your racing coach also had a side hustle of doing podcasts on Roman history.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I've been studying up on American history via reading the founding documents, and going through president-by-president on Wikipedia. This is not stuff you learn in Canadian schools, but it's a hefty part of Jeopardy.

Oh my GOD you guys did you know how hosed up the founders were?!? Also I think maybe Lincoln gets so much credit because he was the only half-decent human being who was president between JQ Adams and, like, McKinley.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Albino Squirrel posted:

I've been studying up on American history via reading the founding documents, and going through president-by-president on Wikipedia. This is not stuff you learn in Canadian schools, but it's a hefty part of Jeopardy.

Oh my GOD you guys did you know how hosed up the founders were?!? Also I think maybe Lincoln gets so much credit because he was the only half-decent human being who was president between JQ Adams and, like, McKinley.

I was taught going to school in America that the founding fathers were perfect and the civil war was about states rights. Also, you never make it past the Spanish American war, mayyyyybe up to World War I.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Albino Squirrel posted:

People in this thread: Probably.

Americans in general: Absolutely not, they're basically presented as flawless demigods. It's the entire reason why we can't touch the 2nd amendment, anything they wrote is sacrosanct (never mind that they also codified slavery into the Constitution originally...).

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Duckman2008 posted:

I was taught going to school in America that the founding fathers were perfect and the civil war was about states rights. Also, you never make it past the Spanish American war, mayyyyybe up to World War I.

In college, I took a US History 1865-Present course and we made it all the way up to the Gilded Age. The stuff we did manage to cover in a semester was presented better, but the 20th century remains largely a mystery.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i went to a toronto public school that had an american history class in grade 11 and it was honestly pretty comprehensive. we went from pre colonial native history to the modern era, though after vietnam it basically tapered off into nothingness due to time, except for our big final essays where we all got randomly assigned something "major" about the us between 60 and 06. major is in scare quotes because i got the vietnam war whereas my friend got reagans star wars program and one person got iran contra while another got the 1988 election lmao

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Albino Squirrel posted:

I did this entirely in the three weeks before my air date using Khan Academy, and if you're interested in it I found that course (it's free) VERY helpful. It really spells out the trivia-important details while also going over the overarching societally important reasons for specific things happening that really helped cement it in my memory.

Like sure, Wikipedia through the Presidents will tell you what the Teapot Dome Scandal was, but the course will give you a better understanding of the Gilded Age as a whole and how unrelenting capitalism and corruption led to it. I highly recommend it.

Also yeah mainlining the entirety of American history in three weeks was SUPER depressing because oh boy there are not a lot of bright spots in there. There's a lot of "almost... almost... almost did something good... and then at the last second swerved and did the opposite"

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csyeU8zq_Lc&t=87s

For context: this directly relates to Jeopardy!

The Sean fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 27, 2022

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
i've just decided i'm never going to be remotely good at history. i gotta play Civilization or Hearts of Iron or some poo poo

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It seems weird over how recent history got the short end of the stick based on your experiences. My education on history tended go over everything to roughly the end of the textbook so in my case, it ended around the 80s to Gulf War I. My state exams might've had something to do with it though.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Spokes posted:

i've just decided i'm never going to be remotely good at history. i gotta play Civilization or Hearts of Iron or some poo poo

I don't know how many clues I've gotten right because the answer was a wonder in Civilization V, but it's more than a few!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spokes posted:

This is me but with movies and TV. There are just too many of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Island Nation posted:

It seems weird over how recent history got the short end of the stick based on your experiences. My education on history tended go over everything to roughly the end of the textbook so in my case, it ended around the 80s to Gulf War I. My state exams might've had something to do with it though.

Ours went to the collapse of the Soviet Union, only our textbooks were published in 1990, so they literally went up to what was then "present day" and the teacher had to be like "yeah and then the following year a few things happened that aren't in your books because that was the future then".