Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

MikeCrotch posted:

If you want a shortcut to making people like you, donate captured lords to dungeons at their garrisons. You'll earn a bunch of charm and influence

Yeah, if not for the fact that most of the dungeons are at capacity most of the time.

At least, it's been like that in most of my recent playthroughs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Breaking people out of dungeons is also very effective. Just, only do this if you're willing to savescum... a lot

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Executing nobility is its own reward

:emptyquote:

Additionally, executing lords is a great way to get rid of those pesky un-landed kingdoms that are habitually harassing your villages. I still don't understand where their income comes from to constantly field decent armies.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

fennesz posted:

:emptyquote:

Additionally, executing lords is a great way to get rid of those pesky un-landed kingdoms that are habitually harassing your villages. I still don't understand where their income comes from to constantly field decent armies.

It's called "cheating"!

(AI lords get a huge boost to their armies even if they get absolutely pantsed, because otherwise it's trivial for the player to just conquer the entire world)

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I married Ira but she didn't inherit after her mother fell down the stairs several times.

BOOOOOOOO!

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I married Ira but she didn't inherit after her mother fell down the stairs several times.

BOOOOOOOO!

There’s more stairs all over the place

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Khaos Tweaks is the current best way to make the game less grind-y last time I played

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

It's called "cheating"!

(AI lords get a huge boost to their armies even if they get absolutely pantsed, because otherwise it's trivial for the player to just conquer the entire world)

Yeah I figured. Just a little bit disappointed there isn't a "natural" mechanic to weed out factions that clearly no longer serve a function. Though, I do think it's actually pretty realistic that a lord occupying ancestral lands would probably wanna roam the countryside and execute all of the former nobility. It's just tedious most of the time though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, the easily regenning armies does serve a purpose in allowing for semi-perpetual wars in Bannerlord, which are kind of important for the fun, but it's not that fun to actually have to fight these wars with the intention of winning them. They do make for a good backdrop, though.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Bannerlord is just making it kinda hard to like it. Patches are incremental enough to gently caress with my favorite mods, but offer basically no new features or cool additions.

Is the inventor of Early Access dying by its curse?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Taleworlds has always been this way and always will be. They're very slow and their focus seems almost entirely random. It's just how it is, unfortunately. Have the fun you can have, and when it gets old, stop and give it a couple years in the oven.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Ardent Communist posted:

Really looking forward to this mod update, artillery always makes battles more dynamic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX5ge8-JIEM

Looks like this is coming out in a couple days

https://twitter.com/TheOldWorldMod/status/1529510038892646400

it will require version 1.7.1 of Bannerlord (the newest non beta release, I think?)

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Flavahbeast posted:

Looks like this is coming out in a couple days

https://twitter.com/TheOldWorldMod/status/1529510038892646400

it will require version 1.7.1 of Bannerlord (the newest non beta release, I think?)

The beta is pretty cool, although the initial load time is godawful for some reason, and the stability isn't great. If they get those two issues ironed out, this should be fantastic.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 27, 2022

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I've lately been having lots of fun with the Roman mod, CA_EagleRising.
The main issue is that it massively overpowers all Roman troops. I guess that's less of a problem once I start doing a civil war thing rather than just take on barbarians.
I'm combining it with True Battle Loot, because I'd rather take all of a city's money after every battle and never worry about salary than grinding smithing to be able to pay my ridiculously overpowered troops

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

litany of gulps posted:

The beta is pretty cool, although the initial time is godawful for some reason, and the stability isn't great. If they get those two issues ironed out, this should be fantastic.

Is the beta available anywhere?

E. Nevermind. Found it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 27, 2022

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Buglord
man im kinda dismayed how little the bannerlord experience has changed for me since purchasing it at launch. the weakest part of this game has been the late game/independent kingdom stage and im still having the same problems with it now in 2022. On the whole, this game is still miles better than Warband and i'll likely never launch it again, but I have to wonder if this game is ever going to get an enjoyable end game experience.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It seemed they were adding features at a pretty good clip for a while but the pace has been absolutely glacial for what, a year? What the hell are they working on?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I know I'm in the minority, but the things I enjoy most in Bannerlord is lancing the absolute poo poo out of enemy armies and taking castles. Bannerlord does that great and all of the other new poo poo surrounding those activities are nice additions. I feel like I've gotten my moneys worth.

Sure, more features would be great but I still occasionally boot up and smash enemy armies for a little while.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

buglord posted:

man im kinda dismayed how little the bannerlord experience has changed for me since purchasing it at launch. the weakest part of this game has been the late game/independent kingdom stage and im still having the same problems with it now in 2022. On the whole, this game is still miles better than Warband and i'll likely never launch it again, but I have to wonder if this game is ever going to get an enjoyable end game experience.

it's crazy how incompetent taleworlds seems, and yet, no one has attempted to do their own game better than them. they literally have no direct competition in the space

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

fennesz posted:

I know I'm in the minority, but the things I enjoy most in Bannerlord is lancing the absolute poo poo out of enemy armies and taking castles. Bannerlord does that great and all of the other new poo poo surrounding those activities are nice additions. I feel like I've gotten my moneys worth.

Sure, more features would be great but I still occasionally boot up and smash enemy armies for a little while.

I can't stand the lance mechanics this time around. They felt great in Warband though. It's basically the biggest step back for me in terms of overall feel.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

I can't stand the lance mechanics this time around. They felt great in Warband though. It's basically the biggest step back for me in terms of overall feel.

That's fair. I haven't noticed a huge difference in terms of feel, but with that said, I am using lances not couched and strictly poking fools at high speeds this time around. It's extremely fun to just chain hits over and over at high speeds in big battles.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

fennesz posted:

That's fair. I haven't noticed a huge difference in terms of feel, but with that said, I am using lances not couched and strictly poking fools at high speeds this time around. It's extremely fun to just chain hits over and over at high speeds in big battles.

Oh yeah, that feels great. Literally just couching that feels worse to do, harder to do, and for struggling through it there is no appreciable benefit.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Huh? I assume you're hitting X at high enough speed to couch the lance, then making sure to aim it when you charge at your enemies? Because while the addition of having to push X is an extra step, couching is still almost always a one hit kill and can basically win a battle in the first stroke if you manage to get their commander.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It super frustrates me that they still have the NPCs doing the same generic dialogues after all this time. This even infected the mods for warband, they'd just slap the stock Slightly Rude personality on The Mountain and call it a day

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tired: couching
Wired: Big choppy polearms

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ardent Communist posted:

Huh? I assume you're hitting X at high enough speed to couch the lance, then making sure to aim it when you charge at your enemies? Because while the addition of having to push X is an extra step, couching is still almost always a one hit kill and can basically win a battle in the first stroke if you manage to get their commander.

It took me a long time to get used to Bannerlord lancing because the aiming is subtly different to Warband, so I was being betrayed by muscle memory

Once I got used to it it's still very fun to demolish people for 500 damage just like the good old days

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ardent Communist posted:

Yeah but I honestly find the timing and aim easier holding an attack and releasing it instead of couching, like fennesz described too.

Of course compared to a swung polearm it is outclassed in every way anyway so.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah but I honestly find the timing and aim easier holding an attack and releasing it instead of couching, like fennesz described too.

Of course compared to a swung polearm it is outclassed in every way anyway so.

yeah, i think the biggest difference is that you need to aim it a bit better, whereas when you had high skill with polearms in warband it would basically hit anything anywhere near the end of the spear. but it was pretty overpowered before, so it makes sense to be a bit more difficult. Swinging a long polearm on a horse should unbalance you or something though, since i can't think of historical examples of people swinging something so long on horseback.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I feel like couched lance was nerfed pretty hard in bannerlord. In warband it felt like even the shittiest couchable lance you could find just destroyed everyone. In bannerlord, a lovely one is kinda meh, especially shorter and/or poor handling ones. Early on I found myself ignoring the handling stats of weapons, but then I realized that I missed like crazy with poor handling ones and higher handling ones were much more forgiving at least on horseback. Even with those, you need to be fairly precise to use them effectively. Couched lances now basically only work situationally instead of just being my go to usage on horseback. Even with a couchable lance I find myself using the trust most of the time.

On the other hand, basically all other mounted combat seems much better than it was in warband. Big swingy weapons like glaives or menavlions are insanely powerful, but any decent reach weapon is pretty easy to learn to use on horseback.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ardent Communist posted:

yeah, i think the biggest difference is that you need to aim it a bit better, whereas when you had high skill with polearms in warband it would basically hit anything anywhere near the end of the spear. but it was pretty overpowered before, so it makes sense to be a bit more difficult. Swinging a long polearm on a horse should unbalance you or something though, since i can't think of historical examples of people swinging something so long on horseback.
Because AFAIK, they really didn't. There is someone using a two-handed sword thing on a tapestry somewhere I can't recall specifically but almost all of the depictions of mounted weapons are single-handed or primarily stabbing that I know of. But that isnt ingame so it's a weird mix that just drives lancing out of a general role (unless you mechanically limit yourself for your own fun in which case hell yeah).

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

I will say the feeling of thrusting your lance to hit an enemy horseman trying to couch you so you get the better reach and hit him first is one of the greatest feelings. i still say there ought to be an upper limit for how long a weapon can be and still be swingable on horseback...but i guess i can just be happy the AI doesn't do it too much.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Its basically a perfect game already so anything they do that makes it better is just cake.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I dunno if it still works, but early on you could smith insane glaives that just looked impossible on horseback. Slowly swinging my 20 ft long glaive on horseback lol.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

I dunno if it still works, but early on you could smith insane glaives that just looked impossible on horseback. Slowly swinging my 20 ft long glaive on horseback lol.

lol this was so good

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

buglord posted:

It's Sid Meier's Pirates on horseback. Was there an endgame in Pirates? I couldn't tell you, I never got that far, and I spent a lot of hours replaying Pirates.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yes, you danced

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Dandywalken posted:

Yes, you danced

a grand fukken game

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

i wonder if they'll ever incorporate the serve as a soldier mod into the base game. it really livens up the early game, since you can get into the huge battles right off the bat. i also like the using the same gear as the regular soldiers, it makes going up the troop tree more rewarding and gives you a better understanding of the different types of troops for your faction for when you eventually command.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Yeah it’s a great system and I think it works really well as a way of onboarding players. You could offer a chance to throw in with a kingdom at the end of the tutorial or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ardent Communist posted:

i wonder if they'll ever incorporate the serve as a soldier mod into the base game. it really livens up the early game, since you can get into the huge battles right off the bat. i also like the using the same gear as the regular soldiers, it makes going up the troop tree more rewarding and gives you a better understanding of the different types of troops for your faction for when you eventually command.

I was going to try a mod for this recently, but then they patched the game and every single mod broke and I was too lazy to rollback the game in Steam because there's no easy one-click method for doing so (and I was too dumb to have auto-updates disabled), so I got grumpy and stopped playing, again.

Does anyone know if they fixed smithing so that it doesn't break the economy? I haven't played the most recent patch of course, but on my last couple of games I specifically avoided doing any sort of smithing because it's way too easy to go down the "make the biggest weapon possible with the most cut damage and then sell it for 10,000 gold" rabbit hole like two days into the game.