Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Best Breakfast Potato Dish
Hash Browns
Home Fries
Skillet Potatoes or some other regional dish that no one has really heard of
View Results

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Big Beef City posted:

There's multiple people in this thread saying they've never seen or heard them called that, or only in various areas that they've been to.
That's the definition of 'regional', so you might want to strike that off your application.

Right and I'm saying to go test that it's uncommon in your area in the easiest to confirm of manners. You personally being clueless doesn't mean it's not a thing.

If you're so gosh darn confident go ahead and try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Aparently jojos are a PNW-specific slang that has migrated around a little bit, but not much, because who wants to eat some fat, soggy-rear end potato wedges.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

The Bloop posted:

I made your sprouts thing

Post the risotto recipe

Got it from Buk

Charles Bukowski posted:

Hey Noonzio. So I can't swear https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/259455/instant-pot-mushroom-risotto/
Is the exact recipe she uses but it sounds right. Sautéed sausage meat and w/e, put in the other poo poo, pressure cooker magic, bam.

I make tray bakes and rice dishes and poo poo, she's the master with the cast iron and the instant pot.

Browned a pound of spicy italian sausage during the step when i would have also been sauteeing the onions if foodmaxx wasnt such a worthless shithole of a store that sold me a bad onion.

It was very good and easy, <3 u instantpot :roboluv:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ArbitraryC posted:

Right and I'm saying to go test that it's uncommon in your area in the easiest to confirm of manners. You personally being clueless doesn't mean it's not a thing.

Well, I've lived in this general area for the better part of 40 years and never seen that written or heard it spoken.

I don't need to go around asking various different people for the most stupidly named food of all time to know that they're not dumb enough to call it a mush-mouthed word that babies use while pointing at their open maws hoping someone shovels garbage into it. So no I won't be doing that, but thanks for the cool advice that I don't need and didn't ask for.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Like there's a goddamn goon in/from seattle that says he's never heard the term. There are literally online articles debating whether the jojo was invented in the pnw or the midwest. You call it evidence that a goon in WASHINGTON hasn't heard the term jojo before as evidence it must be regional. No I say, the goon just has apparently never been to a grocery store.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Big Beef City posted:

Well, I've lived in this general area for the better part of 40 years and never seen that written or heard it spoken.

I don't need to go around asking various different people for the most stupidly named food of all time to know that they're not dumb enough to call it a mush-mouthed word that babies use while pointing at their open maws hoping someone shovels garbage into it. So no I won't be doing that, but thanks for the cool advice that I don't need and didn't ask for.

That's what I thought. Walk away coward.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

ArbitraryC posted:

Like there's a goddamn goon in/from seattle that says he's never heard the term. There are literally online articles debating whether the jojo was invented in the pnw or the midwest. You call it evidence that a goon in WASHINGTON hasn't heard the term jojo before as evidence it must be regional. No I say, the goon just has apparently never been to a grocery store.

Possibly you should go to ones where the signs aren't just pictures and you hoot phonetically at the employees until they throw food at you to get you to leave.

Next time YOU go, point at them and just grunt and see if it works.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ArbitraryC posted:

I was not saying it doesn't exist out there. I said I never saw it. I never once went to the deli section in a grocery store because it was more expensive than the stuff I could afford. I'm 100% sure you're right that it is a thing out there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Mystery Science Theater 3000 mentioned jojo potatoes in 1991 and they were the most upper midwestern people ever.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That confirms it. Those guys could have never heard that term anywhere before.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That confirms it. Those guys could have never heard that term anywhere before.

I'm making fun of BBC, not you.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm making fun of BBC, not you.

Oh well I'm sorry for the sarcasm then.

Proceed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Big Beef City posted:

Possibly you should go to ones where the signs aren't just pictures and you hoot phonetically at the employees until they throw food at you to get you to leave.

Next time YOU go, point at them and just grunt and see if it works.

You're starting to sound kind of worked up. Relax, and accept you don't know every name for a potato product, regional or not.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

If you shred them yourself, what I do is use a mandolin so it's faster and easier than a grater, and then salt them a little to start drawing the water out, then put them in a salad spinner and let rip on that bad boy.
Sucks all the water right out of them, you'd be surprised.
Then they fry up super crispy every time. Nice and easy.

This is genius, gonna try this this weekend

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

ArbitraryC posted:

Potatoe wedges are just large steak fries, and don't get me wrong I like em, but it's not the same as a jojo, which is battered and fried. I've seen a trend towards calling jojo's potatoe wedges, which is wrong and adds ambiguity, but everywhere that does this knows what you're asking for when you say jojo so I'm not sure what rock you have to live under to have not heard the term.

For reference I was born in the midwest and now live in the pnw so we're talking at least 2/3rds of the country knows about it, maybe east coast or southwest is missing out I dunno.

Because nothing could be less ambiguous than "jojo". Why, all you have to do is hear the word to understand what it is. "Potato wedge"? It could be anything.

NE US my whole life, only heard of these "jojos" in the past few days.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

gleebster posted:

Because nothing could be less ambiguous than "jojo". Why, all you have to do is hear the word to understand what it is. "Potato wedge"? It could be anything.

NE US my whole life, only heard of these "jojos" in the past few days.

The best JoJos I've had were from a bumfuck nowhere gas station in northern Maine but they're available all over new England and actually the rest of the country also.

Really dumb name for a really great potato food

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
JoJo's Bizarre Potato Dish

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

500excf type r posted:

The best JoJos I've had were from a bumfuck nowhere gas station in northern Maine but they're available all over new England and actually the rest of the country also.

Really dumb name for a really great potato food

Maybe it's an age thing, then. My days for casually stopping for pressure-cooked potatoes from a roadside place are past. And I'm only talking about the name, which really is new to me.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Around the dinner table we don't talk politics, religion, or potato-food naming conventions, godammit.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Jojo is the stupidest loving name for awful potatoes

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I'm angry about those potatoes now

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

wow was having deja vu because i didn't realize there were two fried potato threads going in gbs lmao. i should have known better. i posted in the french fries one about "jojos" which i had never heard or seen written before, but that they're apparently battered before being deep fried. a local chicken place does them this way and they're loving amazing. they (and everyone i know) just calls them wedges though. gravy is a must

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You're starting to sound kind of worked up. Relax, and accept you don't know every name for a potato product, regional or not.

You should live up to your user name

I was giving him poo poo and we were going back and forth. poo poo I was making fun of myself for it just up thread

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
Strong Opinions about Breakfast Potatoes

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Wait until you put China's gun powder into a piper.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
German Potato Salad

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Mit paprika!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW0v-NuudQw

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

POssible gbs thread idea. best form of soybeans: kongnamul vs edamame vs natto vs miso vs tofu vs tempeh vs soy sauce

Do goons have strong opinions there?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Buce posted:

Around the dinner table we don't talk politics, religion, or potato-food naming conventions, godammit.

Come off it, spud nomenclature is what the kids are all about nowadays

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

Buce posted:

natto

Do goons have strong opinions there?

I tried eating natto twice in Japan (second time in case I got a bad batch the first time). It is utterly horrific, and I'm not surprised in the least that it has made no inroads in the Americas.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

TontoCorazon posted:

I'm angry about those potatoes now

I am having conflicting feelings. I'm furious about the name since it sounds like it was invented by a toddler. That said, recent posts have revealed that it is NOT simply a steak fry, but coated in a batter before frying. That puts it into uncharted territory for me, a resident of the southeast USA, who has never heard of a JoJo and has never eaten a potato product as described.

grellgraxer fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 25, 2022

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
speak ill of wedges in my house and youll taste the shillelagh, wielded by one of my dense sons

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

Brolander posted:

speak ill of wedges in my house and youll taste the shillelagh, wielded by one of my dense sons

Dude I ain't gonna lie, those look good!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Hey can I get the cheep chicken Monday deal and a pound of jojos? Fried chicken, please. Yeah I'll take a signature select cola with that, and too.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Please have this corn cob. You can also brush your teeth with it.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
what about sweet potato hash

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This bunch jusat got realesed. It can almost grow itself.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Hasselblad posted:

German Potato Salad

the best potato salad, preferably warm

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

they call it jojo rabbit because you'd have to be harebrained to enjoy jojo fries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Crusty Nutsack posted:

the best potato salad, preferably warm

I never really liked potato salad much

Then I was introduced to grilled potato salad