Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i'm glad we have solid state drives now

you mean the scam drives only useful in enterprise computing?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

im scared of TB big SSD's

i don't know why tho

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fart simpson posted:

lol wut

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

fart simpson posted:

lol what

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

JINX

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hbag i understand but you dont remember that stymie gimmick?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Vintersorg posted:

im scared of TB big SSD's

i don't know why tho

do not fall for the big consumer ssd trap is all

pay a lot to get the enterprise ssds if you want to store a bunch of poo poo and be reasonably secure that it'll be there tomorrow

i got suckered and bought a sabrent 1t, it failed after 10 months, i RMA'd it, the RMA drive failed after another four. I just threw it in the dumpster and now i exclusively buy wd or the best drives samsung sells

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I think this is a Stymie reference.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

my NAS just uses two 4TB spinning rust drives because theyre cheaper and im not massively concerned about speed on there
also they were sent to me by a yospos goon and one of them failed right out of the box and another died a few months in so im on the two spare he sent lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jonny 290 posted:

do not fall for the big consumer ssd trap is all

pay a lot to get the enterprise ssds if you want to store a bunch of poo poo and be reasonably secure that it'll be there tomorrow

i got suckered and bought a sabrent 1t, it failed after 10 months, i RMA'd it, the RMA drive failed after another four. I just threw it in the dumpster and now i exclusively buy wd or the best drives samsung sells

Yeah, you're right. Aside from games - I don't see a need for TB's of SSD if it's just storing movies, music and pictures. My plex can handle 4k HDR streaming on my local network with ease off a spinny drive.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I've got four 1TB SSDs for my pi cluster. They don't really do much of anything. A+++ would buy again

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

not to mention that 2x large spinny drives will have a way better $/gb ratio than equivalent solid state

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have an 8tb hard drive inside my computer

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i think 1TB SSDs are pretty nice for general use. for NAS storage, i have two WD reds and i'm not overly concerned about that at the moment

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i would love to buy some bigger disks for my nas but alas i do not get paid enough to justify that

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I put a lot of effort into setting up a kubernetes cluster with both a direct local-store persistent volume storage class and a Longhorn-based replicated one and proceeded to not really use them.

There's the elasticsearch and prometheus stores for logging and monitoring of the cluster itself but that's p. much it

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
the only hard drive i own is the 250gb nvme in my laptop. it is very not full

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Fortaleza posted:

I put a lot of effort into setting up a kubernetes cluster with both a direct local-store persistent volume storage class and a Longhorn-based replicated one and proceeded to not really use them.

There's the elasticsearch and prometheus stores for logging and monitoring of the cluster itself but that's p. much it

nerd

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

now that you mention it, i really should get more familiar with prometheus

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

btw that game ive been QA testing for work just released in early access
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1914580/Spirit_Hunters_Infinite_Horde/

mystes
May 31, 2006

Prometheus is what Tesla should have been named, IMO

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

getting owned by stymie from beyond the ban

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

lord fifth posted:

the only hard drive i own is the 250gb nvme in my laptop. it is very not full

I have multiple terabytes of Linux isos

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Silver Alicorn posted:

thats too much linux

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
the coolest thing about my nas is that automatic zfs snapshots show up and seem to work in the volume shadow copy interface in windows

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

No way, I'm a Car Bro now

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

Silver Alicorn posted:

youy are mentally sick ... in the head !!!!!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

No way, I'm a Car Bro now

step aside woodworking, it's time to roll coal!

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

dioxazine posted:

step aside woodworking, it's time to roll coal!

If I had done more woodworking before and actually progressed my miter station further I'd have more shelf space to work on car stuff. Live and learn I guess

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

hbag posted:

btw that game ive been QA testing for work just released in early access
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1914580/Spirit_Hunters_Infinite_Horde/

looks good altho i feel like the player moves to slow compared to vampire survivors

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Vintersorg posted:

looks good altho i feel like the player moves to slow compared to vampire survivors

there are multiple characters that each move at different speeds and also movement speed upgrades

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Now that Garamond's fully settled in I can probably restart work on the miter station in the basement and use power tools without worrying that he's going to flip the gently caress out

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

also orbital fire can be OP as gently caress if you use it right

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fortaleza posted:

Now that Garamond's fully settled in I can probably restart work on the miter station in the basement and use power tools without worrying that he's going to flip the gently caress out
I'm going to assume that Garamond is a cat that you stole from Sagebrush or something based on the name

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

mystes posted:

I'm going to assume that Garamond is a cat that you stole from Sagebrush or something based on the name

He's my giant foster dog, everyone just calls him Gary

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

he's giving you that look

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

dioxazine posted:

he's giving you that look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPjU1EiLFN4

Perplx