Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
all our forecasting models are in matlab and while we dont need to see the code to run them, none of us know matlab and the contractor who built them is long gone so we have no real way to update them

plan is to move some to python and some to analytica for some reason but i'm not an economist so i won't be doing that thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
if you see matlab you know it's bad because no real computer toucher would agree to work on that

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

im gonna use my 10 years of service bonus to build a nas because my spouse needs more storage for their baby imac

then i leave a week later everythings coming up me

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
cjs how many people will i have to explain to that S3 doesn't have folders aaaaaaaaaaa

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
but those slashes! theyre right there!

(lol)

mystes
May 31, 2006

SSD's are very reliable until they suddenly stop working and lose all your data with no warning

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Quebec Bagnet posted:

cjs how many people will i have to explain to that S3 doesn't have folders aaaaaaaaaaa

been there brother`

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Quebec Bagnet posted:

every week, i swear

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

They don't have folders, they have named storage items that can contain further named storage items in a hierarchy that are called folders and have a folder icon in the UI! friggin' MORONS

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bad news about the hierarchy

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

lord fifth posted:

if you see matlab you know it's bad because no real computer toucher would agree to work on that

pretty much all our MRI researchers use and rely on matlab for their studies

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Fortaleza posted:

They don't have folders, they have named storage items that can contain further named storage items in a hierarchy that are called folders and have a folder icon in the UI! friggin' MORONS

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

anyways how do i edit that file in s3?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
cjs: a really good colleague is moving on. why is she leaving? because we "promoted" her into a new role with additional responsibilities but no pay increase! that didn't sit right with her, so she went looking and found that the market valued her at double what we were paying. had we given her ~20k extra on promotion she would never have gone job hunting and likely would have stayed for a couple more years

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

cjs:
good news: potential new employer just sent a "sexual misconduct declaration" form after checking references, so I'm pretty sure an offer is in the works
bad news: stuck waiting to hear back from hr on how to accurately fill out a question on the sexual misconduct declaration form

best part is, the question I'm stuck on is purely about whether I've ever worked for $typeOfOrganization in $locality before; nothing seemingly relevant to the rest of the declaration at all.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

Vintersorg posted:

pretty much all our MRI researchers use and rely on matlab for their studies

i admit my opinion is skewed by engineering world. yeah matlab is actually useful for a lot of things but when i encounter it, it's "engineer had to program something and all they ever did in college was matlab"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DELETE CASCADE posted:

cjs: a really good colleague is moving on. why is she leaving? because we "promoted" her into a new role with additional responsibilities but no pay increase! that didn't sit right with her, so she went looking and found that the market valued her at double what we were paying. had we given her ~20k extra on promotion she would never have gone job hunting and likely would have stayed for a couple more years

hearing more and more of these footgun stories every day lol yup

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

post hole digger posted:

anyways how do i edit that file in s3?

last modified by.. *squints* post hole digger..

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

DELETE CASCADE posted:

sounds like maybe a yotj sitch for yourself too then

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So what's the countdown to the first cluster of monkeypox from a VR set at a con?

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

[studio audience groans]

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they really are disease machines

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My crow is becoming more comfortable with me, doesn't care if I'm outside anymore

matti
Mar 31, 2019

nice crow

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the end game of all yosposting is pictures of crows or kids i guess

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Vintersorg posted:

don’t trust that code

don't copy that floppy usenet post forum post stack overflow answer

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

related to this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002842

what's wrong with the blue yeti if you aint got a whole rear end mixer and mic setup

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Thinking about building a new machine, this one's starting to get a bit long in the tooth and I've been wanting to experiment with setting up a personal server for various things. Is Newegg still the place to go for parts or is there a better outlet these days?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Perplx posted:

python3 added sane unicode support and had to break backward compatibility
there is no reason to break backwards compatibility again

i too have finally forgiven them for the ridiculous bungling of python3, but i do also mean that the broader ecosystem is pretty break-happy. it doesn't help that so much useful stuff tends to have some fragility to it because it has to be some kind of native module. which is also why

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its the new fortran. julia had its chance and mostly failed at getting to prod

i remain pretty optimistic on this though, a bit of a computation revolution still marching along, and julia is made *extremely* flexible/performant when you do need to plug your own code into computation cores/gpu workflows. but i do admit it is more a hope than a prediction.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Share Bear posted:

related to this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002842

what's wrong with the blue yeti if you aint got a whole rear end mixer and mic setup

https://dontbuyayeti.com/

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

python would be fine if the syntax and syntactic white space poo poo were eliminated

init (__self__) tf why do I have to do it like that

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

python would be fine if the syntax and syntactic white space poo poo were eliminated

init (__self__) tf why do I have to do it like that

yeah it would be fine if it were a different language

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

why is everybody so opposed to the good parts of programming? static typing is good. meaningful whitespace is bad. underscores are bad too stop using them all over the place

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

underscores are better than dashes

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

brother, i agree

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

camelCase is objectively the best though

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I personally like CamelCasing for class names and constants and firstCamelCasing for variables

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

on the subject of computation, cjs: read a draft of an ml paper making actual headway on formally characterizing what is possible in some key models (i.e. severe limitations). extremely interesting, and i'm now struggling badly waiting for that to actually get published before i can do something with it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m so glad kotlin moved from CONSTANT_VALUE to ConstantValue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

camelCase

PascalCase

fyi