Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lmao pro click. I love a old fashioned deep dive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Been reading that thread, just finally got caught up

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Am I not seeing any other posts? I just see me and V-Men.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

Am I not seeing any other posts? I just see me and V-Men.

You know, with obscure indie shows like this, the threads often don't get a lot of traffic

(i see the same thing)

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm starting We Own This City and I kind of love it so far, after one episode. I hope it sticks the landing.

So far I've seen:
Detective Santangelo, Jay Landsman, O-Dog, Marlo, Eileen Nathan, the cop from season 5 who was a dick (Bobby Brown?),

and that's only through one and a third episode. Be cool to see how many show up.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 25, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This thread is loving incredible :vince:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

escape artist posted:

I'm starting We Own This City and I kind of love it so far, after one episode. I hope it sticks the landing.

So far I've seen:
Detective Santangelo, Jay Landsman, O-Dog, Marlo, Eileen Nathan, the cop from season 5 who was a dick (Bobby Brown?),

and that's only through one and a third episode. Be cool to see how many show up.

Lots. Especially in E03. I just finished E04 myself and am finding it's getting better as it goes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dang, I thought I had archives access but I guess I don't

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jerusalem posted:

This thread is loving incredible :vince:

An 18-year old thread filled entirely with active posters, who said this forum is dead?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ruddiger posted:

Dang, I thought I had archives access but I guess I don't

It's two posts:

V-Men posted:

An HBO original series about a Baltimore City Police Department detail utilizing wiretaps, DNRs, and general police work to dismantle the largest of Baltimore's criminal underground organizations.

One of the best realistic cop shows since Homicide: Life on the Street, the cast and crew really did their research into how such a detail would work and how your average drug empire works.

The characters are also brilliant. The cops are alright, but the real gems are the villians of the show. I swear to god they pull some of the young ones straight off the streets of Baltimore and tell them to just walk around the set. And some of the other characters are just freakin incredible, like Stringer Bell and Omar Little.

They've already finished two seasons, and I'm praying to god they're working on the third season.

theblackw0lf posted:

They are :)

And yes I agree the show is brilliant. Best show on TV as far as I'm concerned

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

pokeyman posted:

It's two posts:

thank you, it was getting to the point where i genuinely wasn't sure if people were doing a bit or not and i was too afraid to ask

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

An 18-year old thread filled entirely with active posters, who said this forum is dead?

We got walked into the vacants but we managed to walk back out :shobon:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
200% longer

the second TV IV thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1198045

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Isn't that just 100% larger? 200% larger would be quadruple, right?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

christmas boots posted:

Isn't that just 100% larger? 200% larger would be quadruple, right?

this is why mathematics should be based entirely on The Count

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I started my 3rd Wire watch motivated by "We Own", this time with my gf. It's amazing how the Kima hitting Bodie scene works every time.

I'm on S02E05, after my first watch season 2 was my favourite, I simply loved the docks' crew, specially Frank. I don't really remember my second watch that much. We'll see if it holds. But to my Frank is one of the most tragic characters of the show, that scene where he is walking towards the greek...

I don't remember that much about the show, except that the first time i watched it I didn't understand almost anything. Reading Homicide a couple weeks ago has really helped me understand the show a lot better. BUT it's a bit odd how the show plays with the hierearchies, to try and keep it a bit simpler. For instance the Homicide lieutenant is nonexistant, as is the CID Major, until Rawls gets the position in season 2, and then it's the Homicide leader that disappears (so far).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mr. Nemo posted:

But to my Frank is one of the most tragic characters of the show, that scene where he is walking towards the greek...

The first time I watched Season 2 I hosed up and skipped an episode--specifically this one. Imagine my surprise to how the following episode started!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I wasn’t a huge fan of Season 2 when I first saw it way back when, but I rewatched a few years ago and I felt like the docks gave me a much more nuanced insight into the mind of certain MAGA folks. Like, obviously all of the Sobotka’s would’ve voted for Trump.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Jewmanji posted:

I wasn’t a huge fan of Season 2 when I first saw it way back when, but I rewatched a few years ago and I felt like the docks gave me a much more nuanced insight into the mind of certain MAGA folks. Like, obviously all of the Sobotka’s would’ve voted for Trump.

Nick's Dad wouldn't have.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jewmanji posted:

This is a common opinion. People shat on S2, especially at the time, largely because if the dramatic shift and total focus on new characters. Viewers wanted more cops and corner boys and found the new focus jarring, myself included. But from an "all the pieces matter" perspective, it's loving great.

Just takes a while to sink in and come together. Reminds me of Full Metal Jacket in that way where it becomes a totally different movie in the second act but still kicks rear end.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jewmanji posted:

There's no way in hell that Ziggy votes

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Trump, famous for being super into unions.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
But still considered a better working class champion than Hillary and the 2016 dems. Frank absolutely would have voted for America First policies. The entire second season is him making bad choices in the hope that promises of work and money from the more powerful aren't lies.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Also, I remember Ziggy and his cousin being pretty racist

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mr. Nemo posted:

I'm on S02E05, after my first watch season 2 was my favourite

Season two ended up being my favorite as well. And it's funny, because I had watched S1 as it aired, and the first few episodes of S2 I remember thinking about the dockworker story, "This is extremely well-written and well-acted, but what does this have to do with what we saw in season one?! It's like a whole different show!"

And then of course as season two goes on, we learn exactly what the dockworker story has to do with the overarching story, and it's brilliant.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

Trump, famous for being super into unions.

Ah yes, every union member in this country definitely voted for Hillary, lol.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also, I remember Ziggy and his cousin being pretty racist

Very much this.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah but Frank was all about unions above just about all else so he would've, very reluctantly gone with Hillary. Nicky, sure, he would've voted for Trump maybe depending on how his relationship with Frank was at the time, and Ziggy wouldn't have voted obviously.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

christmas boots posted:

There's no way in hell that Ziggy votes

Well not anymore, at least

BiggerBoat posted:

This is a common opinion. People shat on S2, especially at the time, largely because if the dramatic shift and total focus on new characters. Viewers wanted more cops and corner boys and found the new focus jarring, myself included. But from an "all the pieces matter" perspective, it's loving great.

Just takes a while to sink in and come together. Reminds me of Full Metal Jacket in that way where it becomes a totally different movie in the second act but still kicks rear end.

When Michael K. Williams died, David Simon wrote a touching tribute that also addressed this, as Williams himself raised concerns about the shift in focus on season 2, and I think Simon's response sums up the show, and season 2's place in it, really well. I can't loving read it anymore because I'm out of free NYT articles but fortunately I already quoted it early in the thread so i"m just gonna do it again

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/12/opinion/michael-k-williams-david-simon-the-wire.html?referringSource=articleShare

quote:

Mike interrupted. “I’m not here about my screen time. I just want to know why we are doing this. Why is the show changing?”

He pressed the point: “I’m saying, there are all these shows on television, and we made the one that was about Black characters and written for a Black audience. And now, it’s like we’re walking away from that.”

To Mike, at that moment, we were the white custodians of a rare majority-Black drama in the majority-white world of American television, and we might well be walking away from that unique responsibility.

He was asking a big question. To answer, I had to pause and regroup, and reach for an honest answer — the one less likely to please a hungry actor. I told him that we had never imagined “The Wire” as a Black drama, or even as a drama with race as its central theme. We were writing about how power and money are routed in an American city, and being from Baltimore, a majority Black metropolis, we had simply depicted our hometown.

And a bigger truth, I argued, is that if we don’t now expand the show’s field of vision beyond what happens on the streets of West Baltimore, then we stay a cops-and-robbers drama, a police procedural. But if we build the rest of the city — its fragile working class, its political world, its schools, its media culture — then we get a chance to say something more.

“We want to have a bigger argument about what has gone wrong. Not just in Baltimore, but elsewhere, too.”

Mike thought about this for a long moment. Waiting for him, I still worried it would come down to his character’s work. He had done marvelous things with Omar — his smile and the cavernous barrel of a high-powered handgun were the closing moments of the first season — and he was maybe one more good story arc from elevating his character into a star turn. With the leverage he had already acquired, Mike could have sat there and insisted on the writers gilding his every narrative arc.

Instead, he stood up, curled the early season two scripts in his hand, nodded, and asked one last question:

“So what is this stuff at the port about? What are we going to say?”

It’s about the death of work, I told him. When legitimate work itself dies in an American city, I argued, and the last factory standing is the drug corners, then everyone goes to a corner.

“If we do this season, we also make clear going forward that the drug culture is not a racial pathology, it’s about economics and the collapse of the working class — Black and white both.”

Mike left the writers’ office that day and went to work, weaving more depth and nuance into a character that he ultimately made iconic and timeless. And from that moment forward, his questions about our drama and its purposes were those of someone sharing the whole of the journey. It became something of a ritual with us: To begin every season that followed, Michael K. Williams would walk into the writers’ office and sit on the couch.

“So,” he would ask, “what are we going to say this year?”

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah but Frank was all about unions above just about all else so he would've, very reluctantly gone with Hillary. Nicky, sure, he would've voted for Trump maybe depending on how his relationship with Frank was at the time, and Ziggy wouldn't have voted obviously.

No way, Frank is the stereotypical Trump voter. White guy with minimal education (probably) who sees his economic future crumbling from under him while others (like that lobbyist he pays) get rich. Remember that exchange with the lobbyist? "In America we used to make things. Now we just reach into the other guy's pocket."

Whatever policies Hillary was running on Frank would have ignored because Trump promised to turn the country around to a direction Frank fervently believed in.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm no fancy big-city leftist but it sure seems to me like blue-collar unions are mostly made up of people whose insular and parochial views arise from the social dynamics at play in their workplaces and neighborhoods where they are highly likely to develop strong racial animus and are at high risk of being nationalistic and tribal, and see the union as a means to support and defend their specific in-group against encroachment by the others, even if the union's actual goals are more egalitarian

Rather than being full of high-minded revolutionaries seeking to tear down the class structure that keeps them working on the docks in the first place

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
"They used to make steel there, no?" - The Entire Rust Belt

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's one of the big lessons from Season 2 I think, the idea that these industries that were VITAL to the country and to the enormous wealth they generated for the owners were just immediately abandoned or shifted elsewhere without a second thought the very moment it was more profitable to do so. You have giant chunks of the population who got sold on the lie of "hard work is rewarded" and told that their work was a part of something greater and they could take pride in being working class and the system was designed for them to succeed by putting in that work and then whoops there's a robot that can do it so gently caress off and die, poors, we don't need you anymore. The people left behind have spent generations working in an industry, and they know how good things used to be and they think they can somehow bring that back, but the people with the power to do that have only gotten richer by automating or outsourcing or stripping away all the hard-fought for protections and gains in order to exploit people more.

What do you do when you did everything right all your life and not only got left with nothing, but are having poo poo actively taken away from you by people who are benefiting enormously from your exploitation? You get angry and you look to other ways to survive, and then the same people who hosed you over get to decry that you're criminals and subhuman and gently caress you over even more (and if you get sent to prison, exploit you for even more cash!).

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 28, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

It's one of the big lessons from Season 2 I think, the idea that these industries that were VITAL to the country and to the enormous wealth they generated for the owners were just immediately abandoned or shifted elsewhere without a second thought the very moment it was more profitable to do so. You have giant chunks of the population who got sold on the lie of "hard work is rewarded" and told that their work was a part of something greater and they could take pride in being working class and the system was designed for them to succeed by putting in that work and then whoops there's a robot that can do it so gently caress off and die, poors, we don't need you anymore. The people left behind have spent generations working in an industry, and they know how good things used to be and they think they can somehow bring that back, but the people with the power to do that have only gotten richer by automating or outsourcing or stripping away all the hard-fought for protections and gains in order to exploit people more.

What do you do when you did everything right all your life and not only got left with nothing, but are having poo poo actively taken away from you by people who are benefiting enormously from your exploitation? You get angry and you look to other ways to survive, and then the same people who hosed you over get to decry that you're criminals and subhuman and gently caress you over even more (and if you get sent to prison, exploit you for even more cash!).

I'd say that's a perfect description of s2. Some of these stevedores are old enough to remember a time when they were kids, their dads worked on the docks, and at the time it was enough so that their families could live in a decent place, and he'd get a pension to retire on.

Now though, those places their parents used to live are boarded-up rowhouses, guys are lucky to get a couple of shifts per week, and the city refuses to dredge the harbor to allow larger ships to come in. Things are getting worse for everyone every day. Like Simon said in the interview someone quoted, the death of work. Also the death of the America of the past.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

MrMojok posted:

I'd say that's a perfect description of s2. Some of these stevedores are old enough to remember a time when they were kids, their dads worked on the docks, and at the time it was enough so that their families could live in a decent place, and he'd get a pension to retire on.

Now though, those places their parents used to live are boarded-up rowhouses, guys are lucky to get a couple of shifts per week, and the city refuses to dredge the harbor to allow larger ships to come in. Things are getting worse for everyone every day. Like Simon said in the interview someone quoted, the death of work. Also the death of the America of the past.

Not to mention the Waterfront Condos that are going to replace a huge part of the ports...

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bug running around six flags with cotton candy and a batman mask on is adorable

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
TIL Johnny 50 that works on the docks in season 2 turns up in season 5 as a homeless dude McNulty speaks to during the serial killer arc.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
That sort of thing is easily one of the best parts of the Wire. Its writers don't let characters just disappear when they are done with their story but acknowledge that these people continue to exist in that city unless they die and ask themselves what is a plausible future for them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah, that scene and the one with a drunk (probably) nick heckling the developers as they're opening the condos removes any doubt you might have had about what the stevedores have been up to since S2 :(

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

ilmucche posted:

Nice dolphin, nigga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

ilmucche posted:

Nice dolphin

Edit: ^^ lol drat