Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

i was in a 2 man ambient guitar/keyboard (we both played both) setup called hiways and byeways :3:

one time we got a gig at an indie coffee shop downtown in our small town, set up and started playing. about 35 minutes in the gruff rear end boomer owner stomped up to the stage and said "are yall gonna finish tuning up and play a song?"

"uhh we've been playing for a half hour"

"yall gotta go"

lmfao

fuckin life goals right here.

I'm having fun making shoegaze-for-meetings with garageband's questionable amp sims and a detuned telecaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V-KOBxZpcU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that sounds rrrrreally cool

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
thanks! Hanging out with modular synth people online all the time gets me thinking about electric guitars more as devices for making sounds than as string instruments. From that point on I no longer have songwriter's block because I'm not songwriting, I'm arranging a confluence of interesting sounds.

It sounds dumb to me when I write it out, but if it's dumb and it works, it ain't dumb.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

continuing my project of weekly short tracks for this year's weekly beats, this is maybe something for people who like terry riley https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/2022-1952a

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

fuckin life goals right here.

I'm having fun making shoegaze-for-meetings with garageband's questionable amp sims and a detuned telecaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V-KOBxZpcU

this was excellent

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

> 200 euro 🙀
> that much dough

200 is pretty acceptable for a high quality plugin

diva, serum, etc all hover around that amount

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thoughts on pigments?

I am a huge fan of ob-xa, the free oberheim sim. sounds fat as gently caress. and it’s easy on cpu cycles, coz my 2015 retina macked bronpork struggles with a too much going on

I really like the juno 6 emulator but drat I do struggle without having two oscillators to detune

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

i love pigments, and having the arturia minilab thing means it's all mapped out the box for it and works great

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
i found a used digitakt for €500 and decided to splurge and treat myself.

gets here on monday, guess I’m calling in sick the rest of the week lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c music s: did nothing today

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c music s: am sick of tweaking this track so i'm calling it done

https://soundcloud.com/retrocombine/rotary

enoji

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

c music s: am sick of tweaking this track so i'm calling it done

https://soundcloud.com/retrocombine/rotary

enoji

ok now that's what i'd call uneasy listening music haha

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

ok now that's what i'd call uneasy listening music haha

lmao yeah

it ended up being something you'd hear right before you get attacked by a metroid

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i should learn how to actually mix and master sometime

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

lmao yeah

it ended up being something you'd hear right before you get attacked by a metroid

i can totally see that

i added what a kept expected in the track real quick

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/rotory-my-v/s-Xk5BYuKqKqR

made it private or whatever, but yeah i heard this version in my head while listening

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

note to self, I should really get more dynamics on that bell/cowbell thing cuz man does it drive me nuts to just have that going the same way the whole time

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

i can totally see that

i added what a kept expected in the track real quick

https://soundcloud.com/poltzart/rotory-my-v/s-Xk5BYuKqKqR

made it private or whatever, but yeah i heard this version in my head while listening

lmao hell yeah

hm :thunk: a thought occurs to me

boss battle

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

c music s in a loving godawful mood so I’m not making anything today sorry

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

by the way, holy cock????:

https://youtu.be/TNJzCaybzOk

look at all those goddamn tracks. so many tracks. there’s like one track per sample and/or plugin and the list is as wide as my thighs when I sit down

and yet rarely are more than six or seven on at a time. when there’s more than that it’s an overblown mess. and I know drat well why there are so many tracks, it’s because the composer wanted exacting control over the fx for each unique sound in the mix

but you don’t need them! you don’t need all those tracks

you can group samples and phrases under an instrument and use the bus for that specific instrument

you don’t need all those tracks!!! stop it!! stop!!!!!

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
does anyone here use OpenMPT? i've been screwing around with old-school module trackers recently and since i'm used to working within DAWs it takes me about a few days to finish anything (depending on the track)

used to go on Battle of the Bits a lot to meet chiptune/tracker musicians but the user base isn't as big now as it was a few years ago

euroshopper fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 25, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

trackers aren’t very big now, yeah. that is changing slightly with polyend and the dirtywave m8 but i see way more ableton than anything else these days.

anyway hi I use renoise that’s as close as I’ve ever gotten to openmpt

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

current song I'm working on is 40 tracks. i still need to break out the final section in to individual instruments instead of the sections i used to write it (like strings, brass, etc) so i can balance it better so that'll be another 15 tracks or so.

it's also like.. 4 or 5 movements and almost 9 minutes long though

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

oh drat that’s a whole orchestra

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

oh drat that’s a whole orchestra

i believe op has built a 1636842gb ram server for hosting all their vsts so yeah :)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:stare:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i have got my tracks down to 4 stereo pairs
and two mono basses and its nice

i will still use more sounds in the hardware sometimes

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

catching up on the NIN albums I missed and it’s funny how hesitation marks feels so much like a modular synth jam

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

this really makes me want to figure out how to express myself via music tho :( im mad and sad and I want my music to reflect that

4lokos basilisk posted:

i have got my tracks down to 4 stereo pairs
and two mono basses and its nice

i will still use more sounds in the hardware sometimes

stereo pairs?

and it’s fine to have a lot of sounds in a work, just that IMO it gets tough to listen to when too much is happening at once and the track gets crowded as gently caress

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

this really makes me want to figure out how to express myself via music tho :( im mad and sad and I want my music to reflect that

good luck friend. at best I can make something that sounds cool for a moment, capturing some heart is a challenge.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

stereo pairs?

and it’s fine to have a lot of sounds in a work, just that IMO it gets tough to listen to when too much is happening at once and the track gets crowded as gently caress

by stereo pairs i mean one instrument/sound coming from
hardware in stereo. i use two hardware rack units as sound sources: roland xv5080 and korg ms2000r

i wish i had the attention span to micromanage sounds. instead i just have a template project with a ready mix that i tweak over time and sometimes adjust depending on need.

i am deliberately focusing mostly on arrangement of different parts harmonically and rhythmically instead of mixing recently

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

4lokos basilisk posted:

by stereo pairs i mean one instrument/sound coming from
hardware in stereo. i use two hardware rack units as sound sources: roland xv5080 and korg ms2000r

i wish i had the attention span to micromanage sounds. instead i just have a template project with a ready mix that i tweak over time and sometimes adjust depending on need.

i am deliberately focusing mostly on arrangement of different parts harmonically and rhythmically instead of mixing recently

that’s actually what you should be doing. if the intent of mixing is to get each sound source to fit in their right spot without stepping on any other part’s toes, the best way to do that is to not harmonically overlap sounds in the first place. mixing a bassline, a deep kick drum, a bright and noisy hi hat, a midrange snare drum, and a mid-high keyline is dead simple - they already don’t overlap, or only very minimally so!

it’s called premixing or whatever. arranging your music so that you don’t have to move much around in the first place.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

echinopsis posted:

good luck friend. at best I can make something that sounds cool for a moment, capturing some heart is a challenge.

it is very not easy. I can identify it when it shows up, but recalling it on demand is some arcane magic.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Am I the only person who plays guitar who gets nothing from the minor pentatonic scale, especially when used as the basis for solos?
I mean, I "get it" theory wise but it just does nothing whatsoever for me on any emotional level, it's like listening to a plain tortilla chip

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

harmonic minor scale > minor pentatonic, but I still like pentatonic scales

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

enjoy this video of MAN WITH TEETH

https://youtu.be/Ghb3HttAovE

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NonzeroCircle posted:

Am I the only person who plays guitar who gets nothing from the minor pentatonic scale, especially when used as the basis for solos?
I mean, I "get it" theory wise but it just does nothing whatsoever for me on any emotional level, it's like listening to a plain tortilla chip

i was literally just listening to shine on you crazy diamond, and i’m pretty sure that’s just blues scale. i mean neither of us are david gilmour but at least he shows that it’s possible

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

4lokos basilisk posted:

i believe op has built a 1636842gb ram server for hosting all their vsts so yeah :)

still haven't gotten around to that with moving and whatnot, but my desktop does have 128 gb which I nearly fill sometimes working on stupidly big things. you could do it with less though by loading single articulation instruments. or even more by loading all the core, decorative, and fx sound effects for an instrument, as well as all the different section configurations

like for violins 1 you could load them as 16, 12, or 8. on top of that you can load them as 4A and 4B. each of those will have 30+ articulations and loading the core + decorative (tremolos, trills, etc) is around 4.5 gb of ram

for most things i just load standard articulations which is a measly 7 but suits most needs, and uses around 2 gb

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i pres butan make compuper go boop

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

NonzeroCircle posted:

i get nothing from any scale bc i never learned them heh heh heh

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

echinopsis posted:

i was literally just listening to shine on you crazy diamond, and i’m pretty sure that’s just blues scale. i mean neither of us are david gilmour but at least he shows that it’s possible

yeah to make pentatonic nice you need to add in some soulfulness. a bunch of floyd uses pentatonic solos but it sounds way more high effort and thought out than like fuckin free bird or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

i pres butan make compuper go boop

thread title