Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Not all things can be safely automated, and some of them may be due to ambiguity, or ways to fix the behaviour of automation.

Playbooks also sometimes require human steps like "if this type of incident happens and you think there's been a data leak, here is who you contact, the type of public incident you open, how you run the comms, who you escalate to, and the way you start a locked down investigation."

Some runbooks are also lists of common admin operations or pressure valves ("if it appears the system is overloaded and scaling isn't working properly, here are some types of traffic you may want to start throttling, but first run the following query and make sure you're not degrading these critical customers first") that come from layers that are expected to sometimes fail.

You think a release is bad? Here are the buttons to pin an older one and revert the deploy. Here's how you unpin it after the fact. Don't forget to flag people behind the commit you suspect were problematic, and be loud in this and that channel so people don't assume the main branch is safe, then roll it back, etc.

Or in the case of a cascade, they can explain what are the core components or systems you need to protect and resolve first. We have some alerts that come with "so this type of scheduled file failed to upload. Here are some common causes. Also if this isn't resolved in X hours, here are the type of consequences that may happen" so that the alert is contextualized and framed properly.

Like good runbooks aren't about making people do step-by-step scripts, it's about providing framing and support for people who may be rusty with a procedure they haven't run in a while, or providing useful reminders or guidance to let them make specific decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

the person asking salary questions is (at all but the tiniest of startups) someone in HR. you will not interact with them after getting hired, and it is literally their job to give you the lowest offer you will take. you can reasonably just say "market rate; if you can provide a range i can tell you whether i'd switch for that to not waste your time"

in either case, unless op has moved recently, as of 2018: California Code, Labor Code - LAB § 432.3

in this case, it was literally the cto emailing op about the role. that screams small shop and should usually be taken as a signal to slow your roll on wordy language that tries to sound formal. in the unlikely event the gig doesn't already involve working directly with the cto, it should be your goal to establish as friendly a relationship as possible with them. it should go without saying that there are massive perks to being "friends" with the c-suite.

your suggestion of "market rate; if you can provide a range i can tell you whether i'd switch for that to not waste your time" is a spot on response regardless of whether they're talking to an hr drone they'll never hear from again, or a future teammate/manager.

"i have faith $COMPANY can make a competitive offer based on my skillset and experience" however just comes off as stand-offish and almost sets an adversarial tone to the conversation.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

MononcQc posted:

Not all things can be safely automated,

This reminded me of when I repeatedly begged the sysadmins to turn off the automated rebooting of servers that didn't respond to a health check within X milliseconds because there was no protection against this process having all the servers rebooting at once

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CPColin posted:

This reminded me of when I repeatedly begged the sysadmins to turn off the automated rebooting of servers that didn't respond to a health check within X milliseconds because there was no protection against this process having all the servers rebooting at once

i think a lot of developers would be helped by being forced to walk through making one functionally safe thing to iso26262 or iec61508 even if it’s like toggling a switch

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

MononcQc posted:

Not all things can be safely automated, and some of them may be due to ambiguity, or ways to fix the behaviour of automation.

Playbooks also sometimes require human steps like "if this type of incident happens and you think there's been a data leak, here is who you contact, the type of public incident you open, how you run the comms, who you escalate to, and the way you start a locked down investigation."

Some runbooks are also lists of common admin operations or pressure valves ("if it appears the system is overloaded and scaling isn't working properly, here are some types of traffic you may want to start throttling, but first run the following query and make sure you're not degrading these critical customers first") that come from layers that are expected to sometimes fail.

You think a release is bad? Here are the buttons to pin an older one and revert the deploy. Here's how you unpin it after the fact. Don't forget to flag people behind the commit you suspect were problematic, and be loud in this and that channel so people don't assume the main branch is safe, then roll it back, etc.

Or in the case of a cascade, they can explain what are the core components or systems you need to protect and resolve first. We have some alerts that come with "so this type of scheduled file failed to upload. Here are some common causes. Also if this isn't resolved in X hours, here are the type of consequences that may happen" so that the alert is contextualized and framed properly.

Like good runbooks aren't about making people do step-by-step scripts, it's about providing framing and support for people who may be rusty with a procedure they haven't run in a while, or providing useful reminders or guidance to let them make specific decisions.

saving this post :)

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Blinkz0rz posted:

lol no, developers should be on call for the code that they write

if it's code you're confident enough to deploy to production you should be confident that it'll run well enough that you can be paged for it

Have you budgeted enough time, hardware and extra devs to get that confidence? No? Then gently caress right off, tia

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!

nudgenudgetilt posted:

in this case, it was literally the cto emailing op about the role. that screams small shop and should usually be taken as a signal to slow your roll on wordy language that tries to sound formal. in the unlikely event the gig doesn't already involve working directly with the cto, it should be your goal to establish as friendly a relationship as possible with them. it should go without saying that there are massive perks to being "friends" with the c-suite.

your suggestion of "market rate; if you can provide a range i can tell you whether i'd switch for that to not waste your time" is a spot on response regardless of whether they're talking to an hr drone they'll never hear from again, or a future teammate/manager.

"i have faith $COMPANY can make a competitive offer based on my skillset and experience" however just comes off as stand-offish and almost sets an adversarial tone to the conversation.

lol

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Xarn posted:

Have you budgeted enough time, hardware and extra devs to get that confidence? No? Then gently caress right off, tia

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

outhole surfer fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 10, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
maybe they're from a culture where it's gauche to talk about money. we got like dozens of de facto separate cultures in the pos

from norcal, urban guangdong, urban korean point of view it's like whatever. from rural japanese, rural midwest, cornish, certain parts of eastern europe point of view it's fuckin insanely gauche

its worth readin 'human universals' by d brown and marvelling at how fuckin few of them there are, really. and the ones that there are are like, 'fewer than 11 genders', and 'there is some way that they make music.' 'they eat food.' minimal number of color terms? 2.

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 25, 2022

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i'm sick of the us. what are the nz job boards to find tech jobs that will sponsor you?

germany as well since my wife could theoretically keep her job because they have an office in Hamburg.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
it's not hard to get programming jobs in japan for foreigners

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

KidDynamite posted:

i'm sick of the us. what are the nz job boards to find tech jobs that will sponsor you?

germany as well since my wife could theoretically keep her job because they have an office in Hamburg.

Come do programming in Denmark. Market is under-saturated as hell.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
aren't a lot of eu places like the business has to prove they can't find a local before they can get a visa allotment for a foreign hire?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Stringent posted:

i'm trying to right now, doesn't seem that easy

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

or maybe my resume just sucks, I don't know

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Stringent posted:

aren't a lot of eu places like the business has to prove they can't find a local before they can get a visa allotment for a foreign hire?

not Denmark. Go have a look at https://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-GB/You-want-to-apply/Work. tl;dr: If you're offered a job paying more than DKK 448,000 or higher you're basically welcomed in very few questions asked (until your employment ends then who knows)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there are many places that are really cool to visit on vacation and suck a lot to live and work in and i get the feeling that japan is one of them

dunno if i could do the whole live-in-the-office thing. that and their border is still all-but-closed due to covid unless that's changed in the last few weeks.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

there are many places that are really cool to visit on vacation and suck a lot to live and work in and i get the feeling that japan is one of them

dunno if i could do the whole live-in-the-office thing. that and their border is still all-but-closed due to covid unless that's changed in the last few weeks.

yeah, definitely would not work for a japanese company in japan

on tuesday they are supposedly going to announce a slow opening to tourists in early june so I think things are gradually unfreezing

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

nudgenudgetilt posted:

offer obtained. it'll be my lowest salary tech job since 2009, but i'm banking on being dns/dhcp janitor at a university inducing fewer suicidal thoughts than startup life

Congrats that sounds pretty chill.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I was supposed to get an answer after the final round of interviews by Wednesday. It's now Thursday and I have a request from the CSO to meet via video conference today. That's good right? :mildpanic:

He was at the initial round and straight up told me he was moving me on to the next a week before I got the request formally for the final round technical interview.

figgies :pray:

nudgenudgetilt posted:

offer obtained. it'll be my lowest salary tech job since 2009, but i'm banking on being dns/dhcp janitor at a university inducing fewer suicidal thoughts than startup life

Grats, I've worked at a university before and it can be both chill and irritating at the same time depending on where you are. Never understood why we had business analysts for a unit designed explicitly to spend money for students!!

AggressivelyStupid fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 26, 2022

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Stringent posted:

post the job boards!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
On the 31st I am attending my bootcamp's Launch day where we meet and greet their contacts. On the list there are 14 suitors: 3 Fintech, 3 staffing agencies, 5 consultant firms, the feds, and two life insurance companies.

I get to pick 4 to see. I feel like a southern debutant getting hype for the ball.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stringent posted:

imagine programming with only a japanese character set

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

how do you say "goto 10" in japanese??

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Offer get. Just shy of proper figgies, but will pad resume for super figgies later.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

not sure if it applies to tech workers too, but the people i know who did the english teaching thing said that foreigners were generally not expected to do the whole "stay at work pretending to be busy until the boss leaves" thing

akadajet posted:

imagine programming with only a japanese character set

are they a unicode country yet, or are they still mad about han unification?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Offer get. Just shy of proper figgies, but will pad resume for super figgies later.

this is the way

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i cold applied for a principal role at a big company doing backend data ingress for streaming video and VOD stuff

also got a friend who sent my resume around at a chill sounding video game porting house which normally I’d run screaming from but the pay is actually dece and the company seems chill — not a staff or principal role but actually sounds cool and good

fingies crossed

$currentjob has been an endless cycle of my specific team not having anymore feature work to do and upper management not taking action. ive even completed all my little pet peeve projects over the last few months and gotten hella kudos and even a silly quarterly award for being a good helpful employee who has helped a bunch of other teams avoid or solve big issues by being a good advisor with good opinions and direct advice and even wrote two libraries. however our director refuses to take action on formalizing a small team around all the weird dumb bullshit we’re always having to solve in back channels and with the spare time people like me (with no feature work to do) have to actually solve problems. im a shadow architect basically

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 27, 2022

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

MononcQc posted:

as someone whose had to write a bunch of playbooks and has a ton of on call experience I agree with this. sometimes I see management wanting playbooks to look like military notebooks with very very specific sets of instructions for each possible alert, and most engineers just either aren’t going to interpret it correctly at 3 am if they read it at all. outlining what the alert means and what the high level implications are gives people the most actionable context for their different experience levels. it also won’t need constant updating/be wrong

someone whose not an on call wizard can see a backed up queue and see the message latency alert playbook and think: “ok this queue is backed up… the instructions says it talks to these 2 databases and an API and to check how those things are performing… ok there’s some links to jump into more dashboards about latency for those services”, etc. versus a 400 line document of exact steps for checking every possible downstream or upstream dependency

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

On the 31st I am attending my bootcamp's Launch day where we meet and greet their contacts. On the list there are 14 suitors: 3 Fintech, 3 staffing agencies, 5 consultant firms, the feds, and two life insurance companies.

I get to pick 4 to see. I feel like a southern debutant getting hype for the ball.

dig into the fintech on glassdoor if you can before selecting. it will either be a fun place you could probably let your brain rot away at for the next 20 years on autopilot or a gulag. there is very little in between.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sapozhnik posted:

i guess it depends where you're comparing it to, but coming from the US i've been nothing but happy with living in japan. learning the language was and continues to be difficult, but in tokyo at least there's plenty of ppl in the same boat so it's not so bad. the whole live-in-the-office thing is an anachronism at this point, and the majority of companies that still do it wouldn't hire a foreigner in the first place.

you're right about the covid thing though, i doubt they've started issuing new work visas yet, but i'm not up to date on it.

KidDynamite posted:

post the job boards!

dunno about job boards, your best bet would be to hit the larger japanese software companies through their sites:
https://japan-job-en.rakuten.careers/search-jobs
https://careers.mercari.com/search-jobs/
https://about.paypay.ne.jp/career/en/
https://careers.linecorp.com/jobs

i'm probably forgetting a few, but that would get you started.

indeed has a japanese site and some places advertise listings on stack overflow, but really i'd recommend just sticking with the big places. the japanese pool for programmers is really small so, if not a majority, then a very sizable minority of devs are foreign. most technical work will be done entirely in english, so you don't have to worry about the language gap and all. considerable pay cut from the US is the main down side, aside from living in a country where you can't speak (and more importantly read) the language and all.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

akadajet posted:

how do you say "goto 10" in japanese??

:gb2gbs:

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

champagne posting posted:

not Denmark. Go have a look at https://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-GB/You-want-to-apply/Work. tl;dr: If you're offered a job paying more than DKK 448,000 or higher you're basically welcomed in very few questions asked (until your employment ends then who knows)

I was assuming this was going to be a crazy high number, but the conversion shows it's about $65,000. What's a typical salary for a software developer there?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

negotiate. thats just their opening offer.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cheque_some posted:

I was assuming this was going to be a crazy high number, but the conversion shows it's about $65,000. What's a typical salary for a software developer there?

I gross more than double that

like I said danish market be crazy. if you want to be put in contact with some folk hit me up in a pm

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Stringent posted:

i guess it depends where you're comparing it to, but coming from the US i've been nothing but happy with living in japan. learning the language was and continues to be difficult, but in tokyo at least there's plenty of ppl in the same boat so it's not so bad. the whole live-in-the-office thing is an anachronism at this point, and the majority of companies that still do it wouldn't hire a foreigner in the first place.

you're right about the covid thing though, i doubt they've started issuing new work visas yet, but i'm not up to date on it.

dunno about job boards, your best bet would be to hit the larger japanese software companies through their sites:
https://japan-job-en.rakuten.careers/search-jobs
https://careers.mercari.com/search-jobs/
https://about.paypay.ne.jp/career/en/
https://careers.linecorp.com/jobs

i'm probably forgetting a few, but that would get you started.

indeed has a japanese site and some places advertise listings on stack overflow, but really i'd recommend just sticking with the big places. the japanese pool for programmers is really small so, if not a majority, then a very sizable minority of devs are foreign. most technical work will be done entirely in english, so you don't have to worry about the language gap and all. considerable pay cut from the US is the main down side, aside from living in a country where you can't speak (and more importantly read) the language and all.

I will take a look thanks!
Language barrier is my biggest concern. Moreso for my wife than me. She's not a computer toucher but works in tech so I don't know if she will be able to land a job there.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

could I get a job knowing no Japanese, just be the token American pet guy in the office

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
that depends, how much alcohol can you drink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

while i'm trying to jump before q3 here, it's mostly a placeholder to see how much my going rate can be prior to jumping back to asia by sometime mid-decade. likely taiwan or thailand if i can swing it. the mainland as a somewhat distant third