Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah Kazzy's a good person whose done wonders for the mental growth of Ohma and Koga and Ryuki (debatable), and has grown a backbone after the events of Asura, and he's really good at figuring out how people fight.

But he ain't perfect and he's still not very good at the politics and corporate struggle part of things, and lacks authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in omega, it was initially stated that kazzy had used his relationships and insight to become the driving force of the new kengan association. that wasn't actually true at all. he's a competent middle manager.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
All this talk about Sekibayashi Jun just made me remember how much better most of the fights in Asura were compared to Omega.

The last three in particular are loving incredible, especially the Ohma-Gensai bout which has insane art.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in omega, it was initially stated that kazzy had used his relationships and insight to become the driving force of the new kengan association. that wasn't actually true at all. he's a competent middle manager.

He introduced himself as managing the fighters in the modern Kengan Association and while that's an important role to be sure, his actual formal importance is limited to specifically that. His broader influence is largely informal, based in his/Ohma's success in Ashura and his relationship with the chairman. So, yeah, competent middle manager (but with connections.)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i missed the official release on here https://comikey.com/comics/kengan-omega-manga/10/ so read it on one of the many sites i'm sure you all know

another tournament seems a mistake imo

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's Kengan. The first series was literally just a bunch of back to back tournament arcs and this one is going to be too.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
I hope they give us a reason to give a poo poo about this tournament

Kengan Asura had established the stakes for its big tournament before it even told us who the competitors were

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think this tournament turning out to be like half worm contestants on the purgatory side kind of soured it

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
My main issue with Purgatory is that most of their wins were either based on technicality, or on Kengan side actually killing their opponent (so a different kind of technicality). I think there were only like 2 cases where Purgatory won because they had the better fighter and it kinda made the whole organization look like a joke and significantly defanged the whole tournament.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"who is the SECRET WORM INFILTRATOR????"

"oh, it's this guy. and that guy. and those two guys over there. and also a bunch of worms are just running around the venue being cryptic and violent."

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

"who is the SECRET WORM INFILTRATOR????"

"oh, it's this guy. and that guy. and those two guys over there. and also a bunch of worms are just running around the venue being cryptic and violent."

also, their evil plan was to publicly reveal their secret Worm affiliation in front of everyone (after years of secretly infiltrating), and then force their opponent to brutally kill them for ???reasons???

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Really, we're just kinda wandering into another tournament that's probably full of worm infiltrators for no reason?

But what about the whole global terrorism angle, the anti worm coalition, THE LEADER OF THE AFRICAN GANGS?!

I guess Falcon's there to ninpo some more but yeesh...

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Honestly if the Worm infiltrators had been the one mongolian guy and that was it, it would have been much better and much creepier.

Mongolian guy sold his role good, yes he killed himself but it had the right build up to it

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
audible guffaw from me when they presented Himuro - the Icy Emperor as a top tier fighter

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean Himuro's not really weak!

People just poo poo on him cause he lost to Kaneda but Kaneda has amazing mental game!

Anyone good enough to participate or be considered for participation for the Kengan Annihilation Tournament is top-tier! Like, look at the guy that Koga fought as his qualification match for Kengan fighter status; dude was 1-3 and Koga still hard a tough time beating him even after being trained by some of the best fighters in Japan (his uncle, Sekibayashi, that guy who trained Adam and Cosmo).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Warden posted:

All this talk about Sekibayashi Jun just made me remember how much better most of the fights in Asura were compared to Omega.

The last three in particular are loving incredible, especially the Ohma-Gensai bout which has insane art.

Yeah, the fights were less far-out (well, mostly, Hanafusa still exists), and strength actually meant strength.

Like, Ohma even with his Advance couldn't land a decent blow on Wakatsuki cause the man's loving insanely dense with muscles. Then in Omega Fei's Super Mode is just blowing Wakabayashi all over the place with his gacha-born affinity for the Super Mode and blood throwing. And Edward just toys with Erioh + Raian + Wu Xing + two of the Kure's best fighters because he's "Kuroki-level" to the point where you sorta question why Horis and Reichi are even there in the fight to begin with, until the plot decides it's time to kill Edward off.

Asura's fights had this sense of desperation and urgency that I couldn't really find in Omega. Damage would pile up throughout the tournament, so injuries were a real concern when it came to tactics for later matches (like Wakatsuki's ankle getting worse after his fight with Julias, Kuroki having one hand ruined after blocking Agito's final attack, Ohma's Advance constantly taking a toll of him + the insane bruises he got after fighting Wakatsuki's, etc.). You also couldn't show your entire hand (Wakatsuki wanted to save his Blast Core for Agito, Muteba constantly faked out everyone with his persistence in eye attacks to hide his true finisher) cause then your opponent would have time to prepare for it.

People actually felt like they were fighting with something on the line, whether it was Sekibayashi with his love for wrestling, Saw Paing and Karo for their lifestyles, Kaneda for the chance to prove himself, Sasuke for love, etc. You'd have characters like Haruo being moved by Sekibayashi's fight against Kiozan, Cosmo growing up and realizing what he derives from fighting, Sasuke choosing to walk down the harsh path of fighting without killing (hard considering his style is meant for assassination) and learning at Kuroki's hands just how hard that could be, Meanwhile, the Kengan-Purgatory tournament just sorta happens for the most part. The fighters are mainly fighting because a company merger is on the line which isn't quite as exciting. Like yeah I guess Falcon wanted to be a ninja and fight Kuroki (and lose) and Naidan had his Worm stuff going on but all-in-all a lot of the Purgatory dudes felt bland or gimmicky.

Kengan Asura was a tournament where someone like Chiba* could theoretically score a win depending on his opponent with mindgames (he had the advantage against Hasumi until he tried using Hasumi's specialty), but Kengan Omega is just martial arts superpower fights.

*Not like Chiba's even weak, dude had a 4-win streak in Omega before losing to Kiozan, who massively outweighs him.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

YEAHHHHH! Saw Paing is back!

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Like, Ohma even with his Advance couldn't land a decent blow on Wakatsuki cause the man's loving insanely dense with muscles. Then in Omega Fei's Super Mode is just blowing Wakabayashi all over the place with his gacha-born affinity for the Super Mode and blood throwing.

Ohma didn't use Advance against Wakatsuki. Or, it would be more accurate to say that he couldn't use Advance against Wakatsuki. The Ohma-Wakatsuki fight is still much better than the parade of bullshit that was Fei-Wakatsuki.

quote:

And Edward just toys with Erioh + Raian + Wu Xing + two of the Kure's best fighters because he's "Kuroki-level" to the point where you sorta question why Horis and Reichi are even there in the fight to begin with, until the plot decides it's time to kill Edward off.

Nobody at any point referred to Edward as "Kuroki-level" in-universe though (the fight still sucked). The Judo-dude was referred to having achieved a level of skill in his throws and throws only comparable to Kuroki's fighting skills, and Rolon was hyped-up by having fought Kuroki to a draw years ago (the draw turned out to be Kuroki loving off once there was no more reason to fight without the fight finishing). Rolon also speculated in his thoughts that the current-Ohma he is fighting might be on the level of past-Kuroki he had fought.

Otherwise I agree with basically everything you wrote.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Warden posted:

Ohma didn't use Advance against Wakatsuki. Or, it would be more accurate to say that he couldn't use Advance against Wakatsuki. The Ohma-Wakatsuki fight is still much better than the parade of bullshit that was Fei-Wakatsuki.

Oh gently caress you're right. Yeah that's my bad.

quote:

Nobody at any point referred to Edward as "Kuroki-level" in-universe though (the fight still sucked). The Judo-dude was referred to having achieved a level of skill in his throws and throws only comparable to Kuroki's fighting skills, and Rolon was hyped-up by having fought Kuroki to a draw years ago (the draw turned out to be Kuroki loving off once there was no more reason to fight without the fight finishing). Rolon also speculated in his thoughts that the current-Ohma he is fighting might be on the level of past-Kuroki he had fought.

Yeah I know it's technically word of the author and not stated in-story. Then again, word of the author is pretty silly at times.

Like, when talking about Nicholas's brother or his friend (I can't remember which one, I think it was the friend), the author's like, "This guy's so strong that if he entered the Kengan matches he would utterly change the power paradigm/system." and it's like, really? This dude?

Also I actually like Jurota, his fight was interesting cause it was the first time (besides the Fang vs Fang fight) where the rules of Purgatory were actually seriously used against a Purgatory fighter, and the dude did have his own conviction in his refusal to use anything but throws even if that ended up screwing him in the end (because he had to stop throwing so hard as the fight went on to keep himself from accidentally killing Hayami). I also love that his power is "throw opponent with even the slightest of contact."

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Jurota is probably my favourite fight in the whole Purgatory arc. His gimmick is both ridiculous and awesome, he actually feels like someone at Kurosaki's level and, despite vastly outskilling Masaki, his loss is completely believable due to the combination of Masaki's unique constitution, Purgatory rules and his own conviction/stubbornness.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The short answer for what distinguishes the Kengan Annihilation Tournament from the Purgatory tournament is "Respect for the fighters". I won't pretend that the KAT had nothing but good fights, Ohma and Cosmo's round 2 and 3 fights are some of the low points of the series in my opinion. But when someone like Nezu get's oneshot in the tournament it's made clear both in the text and in the author's comments that the dude was just on mental tilt because of the circumstance surrounding Destiny Park. Kaneda, as you mentioned, is the weakest fighter but he's allowed an impressive showing against a fighter that honestly stands in the top-tier of the tournament even though Gaolang is clearly and shown to be holding back. Even a psycho like Meguro is recognized for the skill and talent he had as a grappler and he dies in round 1.

In Omega, we as readers are expected to respect Purgatory as a powerful organization of fighters on the same level as the Kengan Association, but as mentioned, most of their wins are technicalities. A fraction of their fighters are spies with only Naidan exuding any actual menace without undermining himself. Terashi is a lovely non-fighter hired to kill a guy without weapons even when that's not his specialty, and the French government should have known just from looking that Nicolas Le Banner was actually just a larping Jean Luc. And the writing was on the wall that Purgatory was a joke when their first fight had Carlos losing in every category against Gaolang only to win by eating poo poo to get a ring-out against a guy who should have been the most wary of such a situation given he's a professional boxer used to fighting in bounded arenas.

And the resolution of the tournament makes it feel like a huge waste of time. Both organizations realize that their rules conflict so instead of a merger a partnership is more logical. The worm are also completely reduced to a joke and less than 10 or so chapters after the tournament basically dissolve because "they accomplished their goals".

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Omega built heat with like two characters, turned both into jokes and then decided that Edward needed to be swept off the table before he'd even done anything but flash his titties for half the tournament.

it's weird, because the series was really good at getting me to become invested in characters all through Ashura and Omega up to the purgatory tournament and the wheels fell off.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
The format of the Purgatory vs Kengan tournament also sucks. Only having 1 fight to estabilish all these new characters, their backstories and their fighting styles is just too little time, and the manga deals with that by just not developing some of the fighters (mostly on the purgatory side too).

I think Covid lockdowns not letting the authors meet in person probably had an negative effect on the choreography too, it feels way worse than in Asura.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The main thing that confuses me is making the majority of the new competitors in this tournament either complete psychopaths(Le Banner, Masaki) or worm infiltrators(who all die). I figured this was a way to build a stable of new characters to flesh out going forward, like Ashura did - Ashura introduced a lot of seemingly one-off gimmick fighters, gave them one fight, and then made them into actual characters by having them stick around after the fact. Haruo is a good example.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I am extremely down for the B-tier tournament but Cosmo seems an odd inclusion because he surely floors almost all of these fighters for free.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Hypocrisy posted:

YEAHHHHH! Saw Paing is back!

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

still mad about Rihito. My boy got robbed.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Caidin posted:

Omega built heat with like two characters, turned both into jokes and then decided that Edward needed to be swept off the table before he'd even done anything but flash his titties for half the tournament.

it's weird, because the series was really good at getting me to become invested in characters all through Ashura and Omega up to the purgatory tournament and the wheels fell off.

I think it's because...

a) The tournament format in Ashura meant even the fighters who loss had time to build friendships with the dudes who beat them, and those who won went on to develop even further, but since Omega is just a series of people fighting once, there's no real way to show the cast growing. Also, in Asura, every fighter was theoretically for themselves. Sure, some corporations had partnerships, but that only really came to play with Hayami (who ended up all not making it to quarterfinals anyways) and Nogi (which was the conflict between Kazzy and Nogi during the Wakatsuki vs Ohma fight). Once the fighters lost, their employees were out of the running and there was no need to hold further grudges. Meanwhile, Omega has this Kengan vs Purgatory vibe going on, and Purgatory is like 1/4 Worm, so it's not really easy for fighters to make friends.

b) The majority of the Kengan side are people who already had a lot of screentime in Asura, so we already know a lot about their past + development. Especially characters like Wakatsuki (got up to semifinals + had his own chapter in Kengan Asura 0) or Agito (though we do see how Agito has grown after leaving Metsudoh and how he has perfected his fighting style since his fight with Kuroki).

c) Most Purgatory dudes are defined by their gimmicks. To be fair, that's probably because of problem a), in that we don't really see much of them after their one fight. Falcon is just a ninja weeb who's like Rihito without Rihito's development and affability, Toa (the most boring dude) is a generic big guy who just spams 2 moves over and over (Julius is more interesting because of his muscle worship, refusal to use techniques, and the slight fleshing out he got in omake chapters), Carlos is... a boxer who decided to learn capoeira in 2 hours and won by ring-out.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Should have just been maybe 7 matches and dropped all the disposable worm dudes except maybe Naidan.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

The issue I see with Berserker Bowl is that there are no stakes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

They could pull something similar to the boat fight from Ashura and offscreen most of the fighting and focus on Koga's POV exclusively. Like we really don't need to bother seeing Cosmo choke out some no-names for a couple weeks.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
MAH BOY ADAM DUDLEY IN THE HOUSE.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I liked the heads of the Worm just chiiling like 5 metersfrom the kengan guys, lol, but I can't believe they offscreened an Sekibayashi vs Saw Paing fight.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Scallop Eyes posted:

but I can't believe they offscreened an Sekibayashi vs Saw Paing fight.

Me a few months ago: Why is Kengan Omega showing all the matches whyyyy

Me today: why is this happening whyyyy

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Scallop Eyes posted:

I liked the heads of the Worm just chiiling like 5 metersfrom the kengan guys, lol, but I can't believe they offscreened an Sekibayashi vs Saw Paing fight.

I haven't been keeping up because comikey sucks, but they did what???

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Scallop Eyes posted:

Honestly I think Saw Paing is one of those opponents that Sekibayashi would have a real hard time against, just cause of his special trait.

Like, one of Sekibayashi's main strengths is that he can receive hits in a way that ends up hurting the attacker, but Saw Paing literally has the hardest bones in the cast, so Seki's usual fighting style won't help as much.

Granted, Sekibayashi's no slouch on the offense department either, but it's still an incredibly entertaining fight that I'm sad to see sidelined.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I haven't been keeping up because comikey sucks, but they did what???

We see snippets of Sekibayashi vs Saw Paing this chapter, just a mid-fight thing that doesn't show the beginning or conclusion of the fight.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just giant swing him, lol

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I found it funny that Sekibayashi points out how dumb it is for Saw Paing to fight him in a Kengan Match just before the tournament, since he is not a participant but Saw Paing is, so worst case he goes into the tournament with damage already accrued.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah but Saw Paing is a lovable hot-blooded idiot.

It'll also serve as a nice excuse when he eventually loses to one of the new faces, sort of like how Gozo gets an excuse for losing to the Wolf Soldier (he was nearly killed by Akoya and fought Wolf Soldier before he made a full recovery).

The guy who beat him will be like, "drat, Saw Paing was still banged up from fighting the powerhouse Sekibayashi Jun and he was still this powerful, if he'd been at full strength, I might have lost..." as a cold bead of sweat rolls down his face.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
The central protag, Koga, is boring as gently caress. At least Ohma had some mystery surrounding him. Ryuki is so much more interesting, I'm not really sure why he's been ignored for so long. Maybe the writers are keeping the good stuff for later.

Also Ohma should have stayed dead. His added nothing to the series.