Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
hbag doesn't drink beer from cans, they go down to the pub. it has a nice surface to put your laptop on

DELETE CASCADE fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
that doesn't preclude them from having a drink at home if they don't feel like making the walk. back before the pandemic i used to be a regular at the bar and i still drank at home.

edit: corrected pronouns. sorry hbag

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 26, 2022

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
not really a surprise that i dropped a chunk of weight after holing up for the pandemic and not going to the bar any more lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh uh anyway cjs i wrote such a good email today, that my boss was copied on, that he replied and complimented me on it, which felt nice.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
cjs: p mad at python, pandas in particular, pd.DataFrame.groupby() in very particular

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Tayter Swift posted:

cjs: p mad at python, pandas in particular, pd.DataFrame.groupby() in very particular

this poo poo never works

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

rotor posted:

also i still have asbestos siding, it's great.

asbestos siding crew checking in

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i hate hbag with the fury of a thousand suns and hope they fall into an actively erupting volcano so we can stem the tsunami of bad posts, but even i will tell you to at least they/them please. matter of fact i just default to that these days, it's loving Fine and serves the purpose

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
oh my bad, post edited, thx for reminding me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's all good. And no hate to you, you're a good poster, i just like all of us am super keyed the gently caress up this week

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i don't hate hbag. they annoy me sometimes but overall i am glad that they are in the pos. they seem to have a good heart which is what really matters.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

hbag is a concentrate of all the things that we all hated about ourselves at 19

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

to be honest i think that's where i got the male pronoun from, it was projection

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

hbag is a concentrate of all the things that we all hated about ourselves at 19

ok yeah im gonna go ahead and ask you to speak for yourself here mkay

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
gently caress! edited my post too. sorry hbag

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We're all shadows on the wall of the cave and hbag is back there sticking their hands in front of the light source

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

rotor posted:

ok yeah im gonna go ahead and ask you to speak for yourself here mkay
Okay then well maybe Other Fatty is just more self-aware of what a doofus they were at 19

hilbo is alright, they're just very 19. They'll grow out of it someday, possibly even before I do

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

CPColin posted:

We're all shadows on the wall of the cave and hbag is back there sticking their hands in front of the light source
That's not hilbo and that isn't my hands :poolgirl:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Okay then well maybe Other Fatty is just more self-aware of what a doofus they were at 19

hilbo is alright, they're just very 19. They'll grow out of it someday, possibly even before I do

oh i was a doofus, i just wasnt that kind of doofus

for the record, i have no issue with hbag, they're basically just a kid. i honestly dont understand why people seem so wound up about them.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rotor posted:

oh i was a doofus, i just wasnt that kind of doofus

for the record, i have no issue with hbag, they're basically just a kid. i honestly dont understand why people seem so wound up about them.

to be fair in 1903 the doofuses were left to write journals and ponder their lot instead of live tweeting it

:P

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

to be fair in 1903 the doofuses were left to write journals and ponder their lot instead of live tweeting it

plus we had to deal with all that smallpox so

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

:P

s/journals/livejornal/ and s/1903/2003/ and it still checks out

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

That's not hilbo and that isn't my hands :poolgirl:

Consarn it Ellie!

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
cls: did an improv class today, never had so much fun with so little shame

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

quarantinethepast posted:

yes, and

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

i'm so loving tired

just

in general

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, everything sucks and I for sure am not handling it well

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Super god damned tired here

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

have you had your coffee?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Hell yeah

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cjs: workin late on some poo poo and listening to some new (post 90s) laibach ever since ellie mentioned them and wow this poo poo is:

(a) really sonically amazing, they've come a long way in 20 years and
(b) a poster child for that "satire requires a clarity of purpose and target" tshirt guy

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Yeah you kinda can't have any of that if you do improv more than once

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i don't get why jonny hates me that much but im pretty over it tbh. sucks for him i guess

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

sitting on a meeting where two pms are janitoring story points in rally for a project that's going to be taking place over the next four months. i tried telling them multiple times that all the estimates they're getting are worse than useless because we only have half the needed resources even allocated and available to make estimates, but even they have never done this kind of work before so their numbers are completely fabricated. then from their estimates they're just making up estimates for other work items where we don't even have anyone to work them yet but will also be new work for them if/when we even get them. now after spending several days getting all these :airquote: estimates :airquote: aligned they're now going through and fudging them so that everything aligns with what upper management expects

at one point they were panicking because the total points added up to being way over our expected deadline until i pointed out that testing/development happens mostly in parallel. they then used that point to cut our expected development timeline because we should be getting another developer which means the work will happen twice as fast!

i was explicitly brought into this role to prevent this kind of bullshit and no one is listening to me. most of the people here have clinical backgrounds or are basically kids who've never worked another job since getting out of school so i can't blame them for being terrible at managing software projects. i'm gonna start bitching loudly to my boss because this kind of bullshit isn't just this one project but is happening across every project i'm on where the PMs / business analysts treat *all* tech workers as second class citizens who "just don't get it" and if they don't want my help then best of luck to them, i'm going to go somewhere else

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

love to think i finally got this loving thing working, it builds with no problems, but then when i try and run the switch build on the dev kit it immediately crashes

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

'ok so we need an estimate on how long it will take to set up this sandbox system'

i can't give you an estimate on that because we don't even know what technology we're going to use for it. there's half a dozen vendors to choose from and management still hasn't given us even a hint on what we're going to use. on top of that each of these vendors have multiple hosting / configuration options that we need to choose from. ON TOP OF THAT NO ONE ON THIS PROJECT OR IN THIS DEPARTMENT HAS EVER DONE THIS BEFORE

'.... ok so ten points'

:bang:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

"ablublublu the switch does saving differently" why. why does it do that

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

'.... ok so ten points'

:bang:

gently caress em up, this sounds terrible

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

as i said i can't even blame them because the root of the problem is upper management demanding estimates while simultaneously dictating "suggesting" deadlines so the pms naturally feel intimidated into telling them what they want to hear

at the same time upper management correctly recognizes that what they're doing isn't effective but have also fallen into the, 'we'll do anything necessary just as long as it doesn't involve changing anything' trap

we just poached a new cto from amazon a few months ago who, as far as i can tell so far, seems to know what the gently caress he's doing. unfortunately he hasn't been around long enough to start issuing mandates so the old habits are still reigning supreme. i'm really considering just going straight to him to ask for a mandate that i can enforce. the department i'm in is small but we're essentially the spearhead for all development work for the entire company so our fuckups can cascade into colossally expensive ones while simultaneously if we do our job right it results in huge gains in efficiency. middle management has mostly existed in the hardware / clinical world their entire career and they're new to the whole software thing. so i don't blame them for sticking to what they know but what they know is 100% wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
sorry I'm late but someone said pandas??