Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I've been really avoiding paying attention to the trial, but I'm wondering if the evidence of past rumors was brought up to downplay the impact Heard's accusations had against Depp's reputation in the first place? Like "he was already known as an abuser so he can't claim I was the one who made people think that" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

pentyne posted:

This seems really bizarre, so Heard's lawyers were basically bringing up some tabloid rumors from the 90s? Shouldn't some part of this process included discovery where Moss was deposed and Heard's team would know she's going to refute that story? I thought the whole point of a trial is each side has to provide what they're going to present to the other side including witness lists. Granted this is from My Cousin Vinny but has been reinforced by every YT legal "this is why this is wrong" video I've ever seen.

Iirc it was Heard herself who brought up Moss in her testimony for no reason leading to Depp's lawyer's being able to put Moss on the stand.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

Part of the problem is that these guys have a pretty ardent fan base who will laugh at anything they say just because it's Dave Chappelle or Ricky Gervais saying it. I watched a little of Dave's last special, and I kept wondering where the jokes were. He's just doing some wise sage bullshit, and that's supposed to be funny.

So here's the thing - when you don't have to earn your laughs anymore, you don't get feedback when you do lazy and cheap material. So you don't learn "hey, this new poo poo doesn't work, I better adapt" and instead you just produce works that are variations on The Joke.

A good comedian would look at the Trans-panic and see how upset and concerned people get about theoretical dangers that don't actually happen or are super rare and instead ignore or outright fight actions to stop the dangers that happen everyday.

Bad comedians just make The Joke and think they're clever

That's the thing: A skilled comic could undoubtedly write a good bit about transgender people, even from the position of a non trans observer. I mean, look at how much material comedians have managed to get off flying, or having kids or the other five topics every comedian writes something on. The issue is repeatedly obfuscated as 'you can make jokes about transgender people' when it's 'a comedian who's simply reciting slurs as if they're jokes isn't very funny. They're starting at bigotry and working backwards to make it an act.'

The refrain I hear the most that I absolutely hate the most is 'now comedians have to really think about what they say'

THAT'S THEIR loving JOB. They think about what they say, gauge the likely response, try it out with audiences, polish it, rework it or even scrap it. That is how comedy is made. They'll cite the greats like Pryor and Carlin without thinking about how much those two in particular practiced their material. The timing and performance of Pryor and Carlin alongside their determination to continously evolve and improve is what should really be studied, not some abstract idea of fearlessness or whatever.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
They’ve realized who is going to be left standing after the Fall.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

During her testimony Heard said she had heard a rumor
that Depp pushed Kate Moss down the stairs, she didn’t say it was a fact. For what it’s worth, her team called another one of his former sexual partners (Ellen Barkin) to testify that he was violent and controlling when they had a brief fling in the ‘90s.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Part of the problem is that these guys have a pretty ardent fan base who will laugh at anything they say just because it's Dave Chappelle or Ricky Gervais saying it. I watched a little of Dave's last special, and I kept wondering where the jokes were. He's just doing some wise sage bullshit, and that's supposed to be funny.

So here's the thing - when you don't have to earn your laughs anymore, you don't get feedback when you do lazy and cheap material. So you don't learn "hey, this new poo poo doesn't work, I better adapt" and instead you just produce works that are variations on The Joke.

A good comedian would look at the Trans-panic and see how upset and concerned people get about theoretical dangers that don't actually happen or are super rare and instead ignore or outright fight actions to stop the dangers that happen everyday.

Bad comedians just make The Joke and think they're clever

I feel like it's come up before but comedians tend to be incredibly thin skinned. They're both "just making jokes" and somehow these very important modern day philosophers. The second anyone questions them or calls them out on some bullshit they go to pieces and start crying about the woke mob. As for Gervais no one gives a poo poo about him anymore and he probably knows it so he's basically standing around yelling "Hey look at me! Girls don't have pee pees! Are you triggered yet?". It's really pathetic.

Remulak posted:

He's also not a standup, he's a comic actor.

Oh yeah. Even when I still liked him I thought his standup was absolute dogshit and couldn't make it through more than five minutes of it.

I'm already a fan just on the strength of this one clip. I'll be looking into him for sure. Thanks for posting this.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Back in the 00s you started seeing a wave of comedians who would take every chance to talk about how they don't perform at college campus because all those college kids just didn't "get" stand up.

Now it's the same thing but instead of material they constantly want to talk about the sacred art of comedy as the last bastion of free speech and how brave they are for facing down the cancel crowd and risking their livelihood (queue new Netflix special "RE-CANCELLED AGAIN" like 6 months later)

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
the office uk is a documentary

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Kicked Throat posted:

the office uk is a documentary

Ricky Gervais wishes he was as likable as David Brent.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've simply avoided Ricky Gervais ever since he wore a skin-tight cat-costume in that mediocre Muppets movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
you sure you're not thinking of James Corden in Cats

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is the sexual assault thread really the place to be circlejerking about your favorite and least favorite comedians?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This thread is also called “and the culture of Hollywood”

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1529832967979286529

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

I hate having half an article,loving modern news!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Ricky Gervais wishes he was as likable as David Brent.

I don't want to dwell on it too much longer, but during Adult Swim's run of the British Office they had Gervais record little bonus intros that they played. It was a little striking as it went on that he didn't seem to get just how repulsive Brent was and it clearly bothered him how much people hated him. Basically he saw Brent like how the US Office wanted/would try to eventually portray Michael Scott, a decent dude who was just painfully clueless and didn't understand people rather than a complete tool.

Gervaise explained how he went to great lengths to try and generate sympathy for Brent at the end because he was upset that people were excited about him getting comeuppance. That always felt like a weird window into his view of himself. Probably reading too much into it, but it stuck with me.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I don't want to dwell on it too much longer, but during Adult Swim's run of the British Office they had Gervais record little bonus intros that they played. It was a little striking as it went on that he didn't seem to get just how repulsive Brent was and it clearly bothered him how much people hated him. Basically he saw Brent like how the US Office wanted/would try to eventually portray Michael Scott, a decent dude who was just painfully clueless and didn't understand people rather than a complete tool.

Gervaise explained how he went to great lengths to try and generate sympathy for Brent at the end because he was upset that people were excited about him getting comeuppance. That always felt like a weird window into his view of himself. Probably reading too much into it, but it stuck with me.

He does a much better job attempting this in Extras, his character becomes a total sellout but eventually realizes what that costs him. It also features Patrick Stewart's greatest performance.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There's some video from 2011 that does the rounds on YouTube that is Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais, Chris Rock, and Louis CK sitting in a room discussing their philosophies on comedy. Might have had a different feel back then, but today it's like "we found the four biggest assholes ever and let them circlejerk on camera for an hour."

Total lack of women is also telling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKY6BGcx37k

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I like that video of Ricky Gervais and Larry David with Ricky going on all about how you can't be funny until you're 30 and other weird comic things like he's the avatar of comedy, and David being uhhh okay.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Another 4 deaths incoming.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I have avoided reading any of the articles but a lot of them seem to suggest that Depp's lawyers are verbally sparring with people on the stand and "owning" them.

Aren't there legal rules of proceedings that are supposed to maintain decorum?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
No they’re just doing lawyer things.

A couple weeks ago the clips were Heard’s dumbass lawyers getting owned by Johnny.

This week it’s Depp’s lawyers DESTROYING Amber Heard.

I’ve watched both legal teams verbally batter the witnesses and one gets painted as incompetent dumbasses and the other as savage roast meisters.

It’s the algorithm, OP. It always is.

Edit: literally, when Johnny was on the stand a few weeks ago lots of clips with Curb Your Enthusiasm playing of Heard’s lawyers objecting. Wow how stupid and rude of them!

Then last week Camille objecting to every question Heard’s lawyer runs past Heard and it’s all yass queen slay!

Exact same poo poo, the narrative is just adjusted.

Dr. Clockwork fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 26, 2022

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
Exposure to decades of viral video, Twitter burns, and general internet acridity has me incapable of viewing any legal proceeding and come away thinking that an individual was in any manner SAVAGELY OWNED.

The legal system is propped up by the delusion that you can somehow remove (or, at least, greatly reduce the roll of) the emotional mind when it comes to achieving justice. So getting ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED in court ends up coming across way more mild than it should.

Plus, no crowd reactions!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

whiggles posted:

Exposure to decades of viral video, Twitter burns, and general internet acridity has me incapable of viewing any legal proceeding and come away thinking that an individual was in any manner SAVAGELY OWNED.

The legal system is propped up by the delusion that you can somehow remove (or, at least, greatly reduce the roll of) the emotional mind when it comes to achieving justice. So getting ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED in court ends up coming across way more mild than it should.

Plus, no crowd reactions!

I've sat in on a few days in court back at uni and yeah, it is so much less dramatic than anyone imagines.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

thrawn527 posted:

Check his appearances on QI, and his own The Mash Report. Or, for that matter, his own standup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdh7UO-SHvk

He's fantastic.

A few years ago, he and Jason Mantzoukus had the best Halloween costumes.

They went as each other:

https://twitter.com/MrNishKumar/status/1190239377072496640?s=20&t=_BXjHUZKdGS-1LGH5UqHJQ

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mantzoukas is one of my favourite actors.‘I love his insanity.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It stuck with me too because a decade or so back I read an article by a woman of size who watched his version of The Office when she was younger, was incredibly moved by an episode where Brent went on a blind date and treated a nice gal like poo poo because she was fat, assumed — as ANYBODY loving WOULD — that this was written to make Brent look like an rear end in a top hat, and who discovered to her horror that the moving moment where an incredibly popular show said the people who treat her like poo poo are bad turned out to have been made by a man who decidedly does not think that's what that scene was about.

I didn't know much about Ricky Gervais before that day, but that woman's impression gets righter with each passing year. Finding out that every comedian I respect thought he was a fraud was just the icing on that cake.

But I'm a trans woman, so clearly I'm just part of the woke mob and am triggered by his bravery and genius.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1530848650947084289?s=20&t=hLcTuREwb7GjoDAr3wMvnQ

didnt know they knew who mccarthy was in bad food island

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1530490308588363776?s=20&t=hLcTuREwb7GjoDAr3wMvnQ

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sort of rich given the actual McCarthyism we've had here for the last decade.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1531643108341030912?s=20&t=FIFKObfX0kEdQWPbq3hUcw

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

*wags finger*

"you lot are all SHAGGING each other!"

boom roasted

Isn't it the Epstein line that people think of?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Goddamit I really liked his stuff.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Davros1 posted:

A few years ago, he and Jason Mantzoukus had the best Halloween costumes.

They went as each other:

https://twitter.com/MrNishKumar/status/1190239377072496640?s=20&t=_BXjHUZKdGS-1LGH5UqHJQ

P sure that’s an epipen because Mantzoukas is deadly allergic to eggs. One of the few episodes of You Made It Weird that I listened to. That’s one of those facts that just completely clarify the energy he brings. Man is at risk all the time! That makes you a little on edge!

He also seems like a nice enough guy!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Jury finds both Amber Heard and Johnny Depp liable for defamation

quote:

A jury has found both Amber Heard and Johnny Depp liable for defamation in their lawsuits against each other.

Depp sued Heard, his ex-wife, for defamation over a 2018 op-ed she wrote for The Washington Post in which she described herself as a "public figure representing domestic abuse." Though Depp was not named in the article, he claims it cost him lucrative acting roles. Heard countersued her ex-husband for defamation over statements Depp's attorney made about her abuse claims.

Weighing the claims, a jury found that both of the exes defamed each other.

The jury awarded Depp $10 million in compensatory damages and $5 million dollars in punitive damages. The jury awarded Heard $2 million in compensatory damages and no money for punitive damages.

It's being spun as Depp's absolute victory even though it's a fraction of what he wanted. Seems pretty clear that both of them are pieces of poo poo but the jury ended up siding with him over the ~consequences~ of being labeled an abuser.

I honestly wonder beyond all the lovely clickbait and anti-Heard stuff if there were any real mistakes made by her legal team. Early on the whole "Heard's lawyer objected to his own question ROFL!" got a lot of attention but apparently that's a very common mistake when a witness decides to take their own interpretation of a question.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 1, 2022

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The damages are capped at 10.3 million per legal calvinball rules, but they technically got 15 million.

Technically Depp's lawyer was the one on the hook for the 2 million, so they are only up 8 million.

It is quite decisively a victory for Depp, whereas it would have only been a pyrrhic victory had the lawsuit not found in his favor. The objective of Depp saving his career was already achieved.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

I don't understand the logistics of finding them both liable. So Heard was being defamatory when she called Depp abusive, but Depp was also defamatory when he said it was a hoax?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

emo-ignorance posted:

I don't understand the logistics of finding them both liable. So Heard was being defamatory when she called Depp abusive, but Depp was also defamatory when he said it was a hoax?

Juries are dumb, OP

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The damages are capped at 10.3 million per legal calvinball rules, but they technically got 15 million.

Technically Depp's lawyer was the one on the hook for the 2 million, so they are only up 8 million.

It is quite decisively a victory for Depp, whereas it would have only been a pyrrhic victory had the lawsuit not found in his favor. The objective of Depp saving his career was already achieved.

I dont think he has saved his career when everyone loving hated working with him by that point and he is about to go to court again for punching a man on set.

Seeing the statements that the jury decided were defamatory is absolutely insane. He gets over 10 million for statements where she only references herself and how people responded to her, and she gets 2 million for his lawyer outright saying, televised, she fabricated a crime scene for police. And the jury had to decide that she retweeted a link to the article "with malice" for it to be relevant still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

pentyne posted:

I honestly wonder beyond all the lovely clickbait and anti-Heard stuff if there were any real mistakes made by her legal team. Early on the whole "Heard's lawyer objected to his own question ROFL!" got a lot of attention but apparently that's a very common mistake when a witness decides to take their own interpretation of a question.

I'm just going off of the coverage in the thread, but the story about them introducing the Kate Moss story seemed like an actual case of them really loving up. Either by not being aware of it or by not coaching Heard hard to not bring it up at all.