Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

sorry I'm late but someone said pandas??
Yes, get off the tv and get to work transforming that data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
only if I get some fruit. and also don't have to do that thing you said

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

'.... ok so ten points'

:bang:

non-fibonacci pointing????

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

8pt or 13pt pls

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
best you can do is arrange the tasks and size them based on their relative complexity/effort

if you think you get from that exercise "oh this is going to take four weeks", i have a lovely bridge to sell you.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

we started doing t shirt sizing instead of numbers. I like it.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

ultravoices posted:

best you can do is arrange the tasks and size them based on their relative complexity/effort

if you think you get from that exercise "oh this is going to take four weeks", i have a lovely bridge to sell you.

usually when i'm working on a project, i will figure out which pieces are going to be the most difficult / time consuming, and get those out of the way first. i don't usually start with the toughest part, but one of the more difficult ones. that way, early on you have most of the work done already, even if there's still a bunch left to do

idk if others do this but it's nice. towards the end you can just relax, maybe improve things a bit

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

got it working. hoohoo

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

do out a 3x3 with complexity on one axis and effort on the other axis, post-it out all your features/stories/tasks/cards/whatever, and place things in relationship to each other.

assign each square in the grid a points number, increasing geometrically.

now you have some relative estimations (which are still pretend, but are now at least in relationship to something) and assign them business value.

do weighted shorted job first and now you have an idea of how to proceed-- but that still isn't going to tell you it's going to be done in four weeks.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

we started doing t shirt sizing instead of numbers. I like it.

that’s pretty cheeky, I like it

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

ultravoices posted:

do out a 3x3 with complexity on one axis and effort on the other axis, post-it out all your features/stories/tasks/cards/whatever, and place things in relationship to each other.

assign each square in the grid a points number, increasing geometrically.

now you have some relative estimations (which are still pretend, but are now at least in relationship to something) and assign them business value.

do weighted shorted job first and now you have an idea of how to proceed-- but that still isn't going to tell you it's going to be done in four weeks.

ideally you have the freedom and adequate time, support to work on the project and get it done when it's finished. arbitrary deadlines are bothersome, but sometimes there are limits, expectations. from a management perspective they want numbers to report to their bosses, it's kind of dumb. but that's how their metrics work

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

sitting on a meeting where two pms are janitoring story points in rally for a project that's going to be taking place over the next four months. i tried telling them multiple times that all the estimates they're getting are worse than useless because we only have half the needed resources even allocated and available to make estimates, but even they have never done this kind of work before so their numbers are completely fabricated. then from their estimates they're just making up estimates for other work items where we don't even have anyone to work them yet but will also be new work for them if/when we even get them. now after spending several days getting all these :airquote: estimates :airquote: aligned they're now going through and fudging them so that everything aligns with what upper management expects

at one point they were panicking because the total points added up to being way over our expected deadline until i pointed out that testing/development happens mostly in parallel. they then used that point to cut our expected development timeline because we should be getting another developer which means the work will happen twice as fast!

i was explicitly brought into this role to prevent this kind of bullshit and no one is listening to me. most of the people here have clinical backgrounds or are basically kids who've never worked another job since getting out of school so i can't blame them for being terrible at managing software projects. i'm gonna start bitching loudly to my boss because this kind of bullshit isn't just this one project but is happening across every project i'm on where the PMs / business analysts treat *all* tech workers as second class citizens who "just don't get it" and if they don't want my help then best of luck to them, i'm going to go somewhere else

im a product manager and i wouldnt listen to you in this situation either. because if it comes down to me vs management, one of us has to lose, and it wont be management

mystes
May 31, 2006

Meetings are about as much for listening to what other people are saying as internet forums are

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

KidDynamite posted:

they just do 1/5/10 not because it makes more sense but because they haven’t exposed to that dumb poo poo yet. i’m sure they’d 100% latch onto it if they heard about it

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

ideally you have the freedom and adequate time, support to work on the project and get it done when it's finished. arbitrary deadlines are bothersome, but sometimes there are limits, expectations. from a management perspective they want numbers to report to their bosses, it's kind of dumb. but that's how their metrics work

do you want the metric to work or do you want a product in the time you say you want it in?

it's usually the former because people's incentives are not about a good product, they are about hitting a metric.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ultravoices posted:

it’s worse than that. our department is usually involved with derisking new technologies but due to lovely circumstances upper management has decided to accept that this hasn’t been derisked yet and is in ‘drat the torpedoes!’ mode

fair enough. they know this is high risk and have acknowledged that in writing. the problem is middle management is now trying to use established processes for estimating this work when no one in the company has done this before or even fully understands what monsters could be lurking under the surface

so normally yeah if it’s a new feature with an established code base you can sort of squint one eye, stick up your thumb, and take a rough guess at it. we can’t do that here

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

certainly love that if i want to develop for more than 1 platform unity has me constantly re-enter license keys

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

it’s worse than that. our department is usually involved with derisking new technologies but due to lovely circumstances upper management has decided to accept that this hasn’t been derisked yet and is in ‘drat the torpedoes!’ mode

fair enough. they know this is high risk and have acknowledged that in writing. the problem is middle management is now trying to use established processes for estimating this work when no one in the company has done this before or even fully understands what monsters could be lurking under the surface

so normally yeah if it’s a new feature with an established code base you can sort of squint one eye, stick up your thumb, and take a rough guess at it. we can’t do that here

i think i see the issue here, you’re trying to take estimates seriously when it’s an open secret that they’re about as useful as palm reading. just inflate the estimates as much as possible to give your team leeway

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

this is where i put on my consultant hat and give hard truth, because that is what they pay me for, because my success is not based on meeting a widget metric.

they don't pay to pay attention, but if i've thrown the flag and sounded the alarm, then i've done my part.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

cjs example: the data is poo poo, let's build something that will help people clean up the data, because the data needs to be cleaned up by date X for reasons.

building the thing doesn't clean the data, it just give the opportunity to clean the data. there are no incentives, mechanisms, or reports for people to use the thing to clean the data.

building the thing doesn't change the business processes that make the data poo poo, nor does it plug the holes that are causing the poo poo data to flow in.

so i did my thing and let them know this, and it didn't change anything, but i've done my part-- that the thing still has value but it requires more than the thing to get the result that they want.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
i'mm like hbag except instead of being 19 and a stoner im 19 and an alcoholic and also already dealing with incompetent computer toucher managers. also after lurking for years i think jonny is neat so yeah yin and yang etc etc

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

KidDynamite posted:

I used to say "4" in planning meetings to irritate the Scrum master. Gotta entertain myself somehow!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

lord fifth posted:

i'mm like hbag except instead of being 19 and a stoner im 19 and an alcoholic and also already dealing with incompetent computer toucher managers. also after lurking for years i think jonny is neat so yeah yin and yang etc etc

my title is being threatened

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

sorry I'm late but someone said pandas??

i said pandas and i said groupby but i did not say "observed=True" so this thread now takes several petabytes of ram, sorry

cjs: gently caress it i'm making it a 5-day weekend

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lord fifth posted:

jonny is not neat

if anything he is unkempt

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

cjs: gently caress it i'm making it a 5-day weekend

this is the way

I have a couple thing I need to finish off, then I'm turning it into a 4.5 day weekend

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

ultravoices posted:

do you want the metric to work or do you want a product in the time you say you want it in?

it's usually the former because people's incentives are not about a good product, they are about hitting a metric.

it depends on the culture, but if you're the mgmt then you want the metric to look good, because that's what matters to your boss and livelihood. if you're the dev, probably you want a good product. myself, i would want the paycheck and otherwise would quietly advocate for good things. ideally you want to make your success / failure independent of the project you're working on or its quality, while doing what you can do make it good. probably worthwhile to note your concerns to mgmt, in case it's an issue later

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

hbag posted:

certainly love that if i want to develop for more than 1 platform unity has me constantly re-enter license keys

i would be pretty entertained if you ever have to deal with apple code signing

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

lord fifth posted:

jonny comes from an established yospos pedigree. he's "old yospos" aristocracy. they dont like when "new yospos" comes crashing in and carelessly possing all over the place flaunting all their gauche posts. this Nouveau pos is seen as gaudy and vulgar and lacks the experience and traditions of "old yospos"

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
im hurting the pos property value and the response is pos nimbyism got it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I for one welcome new Yosposters. someone has to take care of the aging millennial possers

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Armitag3 posted:

i think i see the issue here, you’re trying to take estimates seriously when it’s an open secret that they’re about as useful as palm reading. just inflate the estimates as much as possible to give your team leeway

believe me i've been trying. the problem is we also have a deadline to hit on this because upper management said 'this *has* to be completed by this date*'

so if my inflation causes our overall estimate to exceed the deadline the pm nixes it and says our estimate is whatever number makes it work. this is my issue and why i'm sounding the alarm. we're just making up numbers to make things seem like everything is ok. we need to ensure management understands as early and clearly as possible that this is still very high risk

*and to be fair to upper management their deadline isn't just a random date they pulled out of their rear end either. i can't go into details but it actually is a meaningful deadline

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

believe me i've been trying. the problem is we also have a deadline to hit on this because upper management said 'this *has* to be completed by this date*'

so if my inflation causes our overall estimate to exceed the deadline the pm nixes it and says our estimate is whatever number makes it work. this is my issue and why i'm sounding the alarm. we're just making up numbers to make things seem like everything is ok. we need to ensure management understands as early and clearly as possible that this is still very high risk

*and to be fair to upper management their deadline isn't just a random date they pulled out of their rear end either. i can't go into details but it actually is a meaningful deadline

yes, i understand the risk. thank you for bringing it to my attention. anything else you wanted to talk about?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

lmao when i moved in i had code violations that were older than your house is now

lookit kd with his fancy brand new house, oh just take it for a spin

*kd slaps roof* you can fit so many things that aren't asbestos in this baby

yeah def prefer this to an older house. sincerely.

it still sucks to have:
1999 hvac unit that i hope does not give up the ghost during the summer but my father in law keeps it at 68 all summer long sooooo(our hvac unit got replaced right before we bought the house)
1999 roof that will need replacing SOON
1999 siding that has a fun bulge on the left side of the house
1999 concrete stairs and porch that are deteriorating due to said lintel rust
1999 pella windows that were not maintained and thus are drafty as poo poo and the wood is hella warpped so some of them don't close properly also almost every window is missing the screen windows.
1999 outlets and switches(def should have had these all replaced before we moved in and had the place painted)

that's the major stuff. i don't think we have a list for all the minor stuff.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

it's also "read the room" which you have done by lurking i assume for at least a week rather than kramering in with whatever theyre up to

i don't mind it tbh but i like walls between threads

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

fart simpson posted:

yes, i understand the risk. thank you for bringing it to my attention. anything else you wanted to talk about?

please get someone to fix the automatic soap dispensers in the bathroom only one has been working for like four months now

tia

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The soap dispenser being empty is one of my least-missed aspects of office life

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Thinking about building a new machine, this one's starting to get a bit long in the tooth and I've been wanting to experiment with setting up a personal server for various things. Is Newegg still the place to go for parts or is there a better outlet these days?

i dont think anyoine answered this

i think newegg is alright but double check in SH/SC in the comp building thread for good places

in Canada we go to MemoryExpress

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

yeah def prefer this to an older house. sincerely.

it still sucks to have:
1999 hvac unit that i hope does not give up the ghost during the summer but my father in law keeps it at 68 all summer long sooooo(our hvac unit got replaced right before we bought the house)
1999 roof that will need replacing SOON
1999 siding that has a fun bulge on the left side of the house
1999 concrete stairs and porch that are deteriorating due to said lintel rust
1999 pella windows that were not maintained and thus are drafty as poo poo and the wood is hella warpped so some of them don't close properly also almost every window is missing the screen windows.
1999 outlets and switches(def should have had these all replaced before we moved in and had the place painted)

that's the major stuff. i don't think we have a list for all the minor stuff.

oof, roof replacements are the worst. we had ours replaced when we moved in. it cost a lot (and they only knocked 5k off the asking price 'cause of it). we also had AC installed before we actually moved in, and the ducts replaced, so that's new. just had new insulation put in the attic.

today the plumber is coming over to fix a leak in the wastewater drain. that's gonna put a big hole in the stucco that'll need to be patched.

our next Big Job is to have everything painted. but that also includes replacing a bunch of fascia, patching stucco, and getting new gutters (and for-the-first-time gutters in places) so it's a lot bigger than _just_ painting. luckily google stock is in the toilet so the prices just effectively went up by 50%! Awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Thinking about building a new machine, this one's starting to get a bit long in the tooth and I've been wanting to experiment with setting up a personal server for various things. Is Newegg still the place to go for parts or is there a better outlet these days?

best buy is actually competitive now so give them a look in addition to newegg

pcpartpicker generally has price comparisons for a bunch of vendors for most parts you may want