Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
cjs: there's no version control, but you can increment the number at the end of the filename and store it in a big folder with the past versions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

lord fifth posted:

cjs: there's no version control, but you can increment the number at the end of the filename and store it in a big folder with the past versions

this is for a uni course right?

right??

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
this is for my internship with a fortune 100 company

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The roof on this house was EOL so I got the seller to pay for a new one as part of the closing agreement. Also got them to knock down the price specifically to cover sewer repair and some electrical work, was a p. good deal

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lord fifth posted:

this is for my internship with a fortune 100 company

set up source control and start using it. don't ask for permission. just do it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

set up source control and start using it. don't ask for permission. just do it

lol, an intern is not going to change that system

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

That's what I did when I was at a co-op job back in college. If there's some shared drive setup that people don't want to change from you can keep the git repo for yourself and do some simple scripting to import/export from the drive

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

the idea is anyone else seeing the intern working source control and being shamed into adopting it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the idea is anyone else seeing the intern working source control and being shamed into adopting it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Fortaleza posted:

That's what I did when I was at a co-op job back in college. If there's some shared drive setup that people don't want to change from you can keep the git repo for yourself and do some simple scripting to import/export from the drive

i dont think that works at a big company

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

is there some dumb privacy poo poo that's giving someone an excuse to be incredibly lazy and not set up source control? if there is don't get yourself in trouble intern.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

far more likely scenario: the teenage intern pushes code to github and gets fired for sending company ip to an unapproved 3rd party

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yeah that

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Fortaleza posted:

the 1960s "he has a pulse, hire him!" of yosposts

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

fart simpson posted:

i dont think that works at a big company

This was at a subsidiary of Emerson, it's pretty big.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

provided you have the ability to install git on your work pc you should absolutely be using source control for your local development. make a branch to track changes in the shared drive and just drop the latest version there periodically so you can merge changes to your working branch. copy your changes to the share when you'd normally push

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Yeah definitely don't push company IP to github lmao

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Asleep Style posted:

provided you have the ability to install git on your work pc you should absolutely be using source control for your local development. make a branch to track changes in the shared drive and just drop the latest version there periodically so you can merge changes to your working branch. copy your changes to the share when you'd normally push

yes this would work

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i can almost guarantee this wont. a fortune 100 company isnt not using source control because all the crusty old programmers individually all decided not to

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

simply host gitlab on a pi

mystes
May 31, 2006

If your company is somehow not using source control you should find a new job ASAP but in the mean time you should absolutely use git locally at least for your own sanity.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Yeah definitely don't push company IP to github lmao

[ask] me how i know our security red team is on the ball

one of our guys pushed one of his toy projects to his own personal repo. the code contained usernames, passwords, and server endpoints

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Oh poo poo it's a 4 day weekend for me, just now realized hell yeah

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

After that it'll be June, which is The Best Month

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

eww you probably dont even know that fall is the best season

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Fortaleza posted:

can confirm, was born in june

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Fortaleza posted:

After that it'll be June, which is End Boss Month

fixed

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

It's a great month to have a birthday when you're a kid, still good when you're grown up too.

Plus usually all the best sports stuff happens in June : NBA & NHL finals, sometimes the Champions League Final, Euros, usually the World Cup, Summer Olympics. Sometimes the Tour de France starts in June but not usually

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

is it normal for company-shutdown days (like 2 days around xmas, that kind of thing) to be taken from pto accrual

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

not a fan of anything between april and october, to be honest. i do a lot better in the cold.

i will watch champions league, the world cup, and the CPBL

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i have a late june bday so it's almost exactly 6 months from christmas. made for good presents at both events. never got to bring in cupcakes and be the most popular kid for a day though.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

dioxazine posted:

not a fan of anything between april and october, to be honest. i do a lot better in the cold.

i will watch champions league, the world cup, and the CPBL

got some news about the world cup this year.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

it's not a heartbreaker, i'm a casual

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Ciaphas posted:

is it normal for company-shutdown days (like 2 days around xmas, that kind of thing) to be taken from pto accrual

My company always claims the right to do this every year, because I work for a university and the campus shuts down between Christmas and New Year's. They move all the "floating" holidays to that week, but always leave one day uncovered and tell us we'll have to use a vacation day to cover it. Then, every year at the last minute, the campus president gives us a half-day off and the Cal State president gives us the other half-day off. They make sure to inform us that "this shall not be assumed to set a precedent" and it's stupid every time.

I do wonder what would happen if they actually tried to make us take the vacation day, though.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

absolutely loving not

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

mystes posted:

If your company is somehow not using source control you should find a new job ASAP but in the mean time you should absolutely use git locally at least for your own sanity.

not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth w/r/t a summer gig like this, but yeah. there is an enterprise git server hosted locally but nobody in my department uses it and i have to wait like, a day to get approved for an account

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ciaphas posted:

No, holidays should be separate

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

If you're out of days do you have to work Christmas?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

my company just calls the week before and after Christmas a company holiday but then gives less actual PTO than competitors, but you effectively have more time off

previous company gave you the option to work, take unpaid off, or use PTO

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
At my company, if you're out of vacation days, you just don't get paid for that day.

Edit: Specifically, for the day they always give us off at the last minute, since the rest of the week is covered by the floating holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Vintersorg posted:

i dont think anyoine answered this

i think newegg is alright but double check in SH/SC in the comp building thread for good places

in Canada we go to MemoryExpress

Everytime this site looks like it is shutting down and people make discords the SH/SC Comp Building thread continues it's duty. Like the string quartet on the titanic.

CJS: BULLSHITTIN It is graduation week!