Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Did I miss it or has nobody really posted the new Imagen results? From here: https://imagen.research.google/

A single beam of light enter the room from the ceiling. The beam of light is illuminating an easel. On the easel there is a Rembrandt painting of a raccoon.

A photo of a Corgi dog riding a bike in Times Square. It is wearing sunglasses and a beach hat.

A marble statue of a Koala DJ in front of a marble statue of a turntable. The Koala has wearing large marble headphones.

There is some weirdness in the details if you look closely, and there were probably dozen of images that didn't work out for every one they posted but it's still very cool. Apparently they generate a tiny image first based on the input text, and then upscale it several times to get more details.

yeah I saw some somewhere else. incredible and surely anyone who doesn’t think it is can surely admit at least how far we’ve come from the hosed up dog faces and get instantly terrified to think where things will be in ten years lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019

machine learning is mega boring imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yea the content produced is

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

i object to Adam and the Ants being called New Wave
every time i think of new wave i think of the punk/new wave rant from slc punk

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

echinopsis posted:

yeah I saw some somewhere else. incredible and surely anyone who doesn’t think it is can surely admit at least how far we’ve come from the hosed up dog faces and get instantly terrified to think where things will be in ten years lol

it is legit terrifying and what you can do on commodity hardware today with foss tools is insane

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I remember the first time I went to the UP everyone that worked in this one pastie shop had super Finnish names, like Ole or Teemu someone said paaaskkkkaaaaaaaa and it was pretty funny

that’s my Finnish community in North America story thanks for reading

https://www.svenandoles.com/

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

have done the Numan face more than once

Annie Lennox :swoon:

e: and Adam Ant because drat

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

echinopsis posted:

who the gently caress does this guy have the energy to spend the time to make the poo poo he does in this lol
honestly mind boggling that he's capable of doing this poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf6jPlzt0-g

Watch his twitch streams, he does funny poo poo to every game he ever plays

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

Back in 1981, when Sid Backlund Jr. was 23 and his brother Terry was only 19, the two young men decided to open a small food stand inside a Wisconsin Avenue building for Fisherman's Picnic.
"We sold popcorn, nachos, hot dogs, pop, our mom's brownies, and a few other items," said Sid. "We had no idea how it would work."
The two brothers were encouraged enough to keep the fledgling shop open through August into September, before closing to return to school. Next June 5, 1982, Sven and Ole's opened again. This time it stayed open.
Sid laughs at their lack of experience. "We figured it would take four 12-pound boxes of nacho chips to last the first month. After only four days, we had sold 29 boxes. We were having the chips hauled up by bus and we bought all the Velveeta cheese in the entire country. We were totally unprepared."
The brothers started that summer with their mother's kitchen stove and an old Norge refrigerator. That summer, they doubled the space to 400 square feet. It's the area where you now enter and turn left to order.
The building that housed that early operation and was later used entirely by the growing restaurant was originally built in the 1920's for use by People's Supply. It later became Becky's Store, Gambles and C.O. Backlund and Sons Hardware. People still remember C.O. in his later years sitting his lawn chair with fly swatter in hand, arguing politics with anyone who came in. He was Sid and Terry's grandfather.
In 1985, Sven and Ole's added what is now the dining room. In March of '88, the Pickled Herring Pub came on stream and in 1990, the balance of the building was acquired to increase kitchen and storage space.
Today, Sven & Ole's occupies 3,500 square feet of space and has over 50 employees. Because of their intensive TV advertising over the years, they are arguably the best known restaurant on the North Shore.
Sid Jr. continues to run the entire operation, with regular assistance from his parents, Betty and Sid, and a crew of good managers. Terry went on to pursue other interests in 1998, but he remains a regular in the TV commercials and is the number one consultant and booster to Sven & Ole's.
The Original Sven & Ole's business is now completely computerized, and has come a long way since those first days when you could buy Betty B's brownies for 35 cents a piece.

truly, an american success story

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Kenny Logins posted:

every time i think of new wave i think of the punk/new wave rant from slc punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhzqny6rU28

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Adam Ant because drat
serendipity I was just this minute going back through some old tumblr reblogs of mine

he was a handsome fellow in his youth, definitely

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the handsomest

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

matti posted:

machine learning is mega boring imo
yea and much like politics its also intruding into my daily life terrifyingly often

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

echinopsis posted:

:rip: stock photo industry

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

PIZZA.BAT posted:

:rip: stock photo industry

EASTERN EUROPE WILL NOT BE OUTDONE

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

e: and Adam Ant because drat

he was great in Cyber Bandits along with Grace Jones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gl5VGGxQc8

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cat Face Joe posted:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Cat Face Joe posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can’t believe they threw beans on him 😭

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
god doesnt want you thinkin' bout thos beans

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

What's the important lesson

matti
Mar 31, 2019

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

What's the important lesson

you have to listen to the new edm tracks from daldo to find out

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6RehHRXhDU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

graph posted:

seems pretty terrible. ah well, i'm sure it won't be used for pure evil

i like how they're refusing to release it because it's just too biased

quote:

At this time we have decided not to release code or a public demo.
Second, the data requirements of text-to-image models have led researchers to rely heavily on large, mostly uncurated, web-scraped datasets. While this approach has enabled rapid algorithmic advances in recent years, datasets of this nature often reflect social stereotypes, oppressive viewpoints, and derogatory, or otherwise harmful, associations to marginalized identity groups.
While we leave an in-depth empirical analysis of social and cultural biases to future work, our small scale internal assessments reveal several limitations that guide our decision not to release our model at this time.
Preliminary assessment also suggests Imagen encodes several social biases and stereotypes, including an overall bias towards generating images of people with lighter skin tones and a tendency for images portraying different professions to align with Western gender stereotypes.

studying bias in their models is like full self-driving. it's always 5 years off in the future.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean, if they accidentally created a biased model im glad they aren't releasing it. better not to have made one but im skeptical that's possible, and am glad that the researchers seem to be taking the problem seriously. i might just be gullible though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they created a model.

any model is going to be a bias amplification engine.

the only winning move is not to play

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i loved that movie

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

merchandising!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

whoa a college roommate is in this screenshot

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

what was it like being roommates with fishmech?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

just remembered this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_GJGLy3EVE

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

afaict a significant portion of waffleimages is stuff fishmech uploaded

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
https://twitter.com/paperghost/status/1529845403490955266