Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm on controller and it is awkward to constantly be R1-ing through rotations as you get more and more things, but it has worked so far. (I will not mention the number of times I've accidentally opened my character profile.)

I forget the best way to do it but instead of R1-ing through rotations you should turn on 'WXHB', expanded hold crossbars.

Basically the idea is that you have your default hotbar, your holding-L2 hotbar, your holding-R2 botbar, and then you also have hotbars for holding L2-then-R2 and vice versa.

This gives you pretty much all the buttons you'll need for playing in the heat of the action. 8 face buttons * 5 hotbars is 40 buttons which should be plenty, enough for you to bind the same action multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm on controller and it is awkward to constantly be R1-ing through rotations as you get more and more things, but it has worked so far. (I will not mention the number of times I've accidentally opened my character profile.)

avoiding that exact situation is what I was getting at with the buried options that are nigh on required once you have more than 16 skills

There's an option to make L2+R2 go to a new hotbar, depending on the order you press them in, and to make double tapping L2 or R2 each go to a new hotbar. You have way more easily accessible buttons than you can ever realistically use, it's just that the options to enable them are seriously hidden

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Windmill Hut posted:

Thanks all. I'll continue on, then hopefully as I get used to it and enjoy the game, then I might look into a keyboard down the line :)

I love the controller, but you 100% need a keyboard for chat

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

lol please do not play like this

Set up the extra crossbar options

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
There's a handful of youtubers that have some really nice per class videos of their controller setups. I think everyone's going to go with what works best for them, but those helped me for my first few jobs. Ginger Prime is probably the best to start with. https://www.youtube.com/c/GingerPrimeGaming

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

avoiding that exact situation is what I was getting at with the buried options that are nigh on required once you have more than 16 skills

There's an option to make L2+R2 go to a new hotbar, depending on the order you press them in, and to make double tapping L2 or R2 each go to a new hotbar. You have way more easily accessible buttons than you can ever realistically use, it's just that the options to enable them are seriously hidden

Yeah this is key. I have L2, R2, L2->R2, R2->L2, L2x2, R2x2. Technically 48 buttons, but I don't use the d-pad on the x2 triggers so it's 40. More than enough, I never have to switch main bars using R1.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Thanks for all the replies, especially the BLM stuff.

Next, sort of silly, question. If I have 2 jobs say mage/rogue can you use skills from both trees, because if I can play as a Claw from Malazan Book of the Fallen I may just sex wee.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Burt posted:

Next, sort of silly, question. If I have 2 jobs say mage/rogue can you use skills from both trees, because if I can play as a Claw from Malazan Book of the Fallen I may just sex wee.

Nope. There are a few shared "role actions" so for example all tanks have access to the same taunt spell, all casters have access to swiftcast, but they're mostly utility. The core abilities of each job are unique to that job.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Burt posted:

Mainwaring is right, but for what it’s worth rogues become ninjas which are basically already knife wizards by default, though I’m not familiar with the specific example you used

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Burt posted:

If I have 2 jobs say mage/rogue can you use skills from both trees, because if I can play as a Claw from Malazan Book of the Fallen I may just sex wee.

You can’t, but rogue turns into ninja at L30 and ninjas are basically Claws.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ninja have special magic which is awesome. Like fire and lightning and a speed up charm and a a move which boosts damage and makes you essential to raiding.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lets not get too crazy in the noob thread. no job is essential for any content.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
who could imagine raiding without the "ninja speed up charm"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The best part of Ninja is the sound the mudras make.

BONG BONG BONG

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

The best part of Ninja is the sound the mudras make.

BONG BONG BONG

:hmmyes:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Ninjas are the most wizard I've ever felt playing an MMO. You have to actually, like, manually cast a spell rather than just wait for a meter to fill up.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Clarste posted:

Ninjas are the most wizard I've ever felt playing an MMO. You have to actually, like, manually cast a spell rather than just wait for a meter to fill up.

This really does feel amazing and unique among every MMO class I am aware of, and I am loving TERRIBLE at it.

If I was only going to play a single dps class, it would be ninja. But since I like to play one of each role (including two healers in order to have a barrier and regen option) ninja is just too complex for me to remember wtf I'm doing when I circle back to it. I thought it was funny that someone above called out monk specifically as more complex than ninja, because that has not been my experience. Once you have the rotation variants set up in a way that makes sense to your brain (I have three stacked rows of the different 1-2-3 stance skills) monk is easy. In contrast, the way mudras work, you get every one of the class's knife wizard spells as soon as you unlock the third mudra at what, 40? And you have to literally be the knife wizard and remember the magic button series required to cast each one.

I'm playing reaper as my melee focus and I love it, but every once in a while my eyes drift wistfully over to that shuriken symbol on my class hotbar.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 26, 2022

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Trick attack only buffs the Ninja's damage now right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Trick attack only buffs the Ninja's damage now right?

Yeah, but Mug now replaces it as the enemy vuln debuff.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Unsinkabear posted:

This really does feel amazing and unique among every MMO class I am aware of, and I am loving TERRIBLE at it.

Mudras are a very simplified version of the Warden from Lord of the Rings Online. You have spear/shield/shout buttons and string together combos of 2-5 steps for 90% of your combat skills ("gambits") and there are 50+ different combinations. It's a lot of fun, but obviously very difficult to get back into if you look away for 5 minutes.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Arist posted:

Yeah, but Mug now replaces it as the enemy vuln debuff.

Oh sick, somehow I missed that part. Maybe I'll level ninja at some point. Or any melee.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I was just trying out the (clan) hunt for the first time. I went and killed the mark and it gave me some seals, so I assumed that was it. But then when I went to turn a key item for the msq I saw I have a “stack of bills” in my inventory, where does this go?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The stack of bills are a set of three bills that refresh daily that give you 5 targets each. From HW content onwards, they serve as a replacement for the Hunting Log that the ARR classes had for 1-50 and you unlock them 1 at a time as you level through the expansion. The EXP per minute on them is decent and the fact that you can do them while queueing for something else makes them pretty nice.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

DalaranJ posted:

I was just trying out the (clan) hunt for the first time. I went and killed the mark and it gave me some seals, so I assumed that was it. But then when I went to turn a key item for the msq I saw I have a “stack of bills” in my inventory, where does this go?

So when you accept a mark, you accept all of them in that rank. You can use it and you'll see what monsters you still have to kill and the stack of bills will go away once you complete it or I think you can just discard them if you don't want to bother.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Hyper Inferno posted:

The stack of bills are a set of three bills that refresh daily that give you 5 targets each. From HW content onwards, they serve as a replacement for the Hunting Log that the ARR classes had for 1-50 and you unlock them 1 at a time as you level through the expansion. The EXP per minute on them is decent and the fact that you can do them while queueing for something else makes them pretty nice.

ARR has its own hunt bills and currency (I have a WHM hat and a pile of free teleport coupons from that vendor), so if anything the clan hunt bills are a replacement for that.

The hunting log is a vestigial separate thing, and kind of useless unless you really need exp on a dps class right now and you've somehow exhausted every other possible option in the game. Some people enjoy it for the inherent completionist nature, though. Go get you some class rings if that's your jam.

Hyper Inferno posted:

The stack of bills are a set of three bills that refresh daily that give you 5 targets each.

Worth noting that (unfortunately) they don't refresh automatically, you have to go get the new ones from the hunt board each day (or week, in the case of the elite one).

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Unsinkabear posted:

If I was only going to play a single dps class, it would be ninja. But since I like to play one of each role (including two healers in order to have a barrier and regen option) ninja is just too complex for me to remember wtf I'm doing when I circle back to it. I thought it was funny that someone above called out monk specifically as more complex than ninja, because that has not been my experience. Once you have the rotation variants set up in a way that makes sense to your brain (I have three stacked rows of the different 1-2-3 stance skills) monk is easy. In contrast, the way mudras work, you get every one of the class's knife wizard spells as soon as you unlock the third mudra at what, 40? And you have to literally be the knife wizard and remember the magic button series required to cast each one.

I'm playing reaper as my melee focus and I love it, but every once in a while my eyes drift wistfully over to that shuriken symbol on my class hotbar.
Job complexity is YMMV but I'll give my view on Ninja in terms of playing it in level 90 content: It's easy once you get past "whoa the opener sure does a lot of stuff." Ninja's flow is 20 seconds of pressing a lot of buttons -> 40 seconds of pressing 123 (occasional detour to 124), repeat. It took maybe an hour or so of practicing the opener and then I was ready to take Ninja for a spin; it reminded me of practicing a combo/mixup in fighting games and then wanting to use it in a match. For me, that's easy compared to Monk and Samurai having to maintain buffs, a DoT, and resources while dealing with boss mechanics. Remembering Mudra combinations was also easy for me but don't ask me what the attack names are. Shift+3214 is the speed buff, shift+124 is damage, shift+1234 is the one that lets me use Trick Attack.

The nice thing about this game is that if you don't like how one job plays, you can just switch over to one that does fit you at least.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

You don't have to get ninja's opener 100% correct either. As long as you hit as many long cooldowns as you can during the window that mug and trick attack buffs are up, you're doing most of your damage. Just practice on a dummy a few times until you can do your opener without stopping and going "poo poo poo poo poo poo what comes after Dream Within a Dream". If 1 of your Raitons happens just after the buff falls off, you're only losing 5-10% damage on 1 attack

Just remember that you want to cast Suiton on the pull, you want to have Kassatsu up while you're running at the boss, you want to start your 123 combo, and then you want to use trick attack + potion, part 2 of your combo (mug, bunshin), and remember to use your ice shurikens before Kassatsu falls off. That's the most important part. Also get TCJ in there. Use Raiton + raiju and Bhavacakra to fill in the rest of it.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 26, 2022

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Just practice casting your mudras until you can do it without thinking about it. Leveling up the job ordinarily through roulettes is the perfect place to do this

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Are the rotation guides on Icy Veins good or is there another site I should be going to?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Are the rotation guides on Icy Veins good or is there another site I should be going to?

Discord is awful as a repository of information but the Balance discord has guides for every job which is what I go to.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SettingSun posted:

Discord is awful as a repository of information but the Balance discord has guides for every job which is what I go to.

Thank you

Also real dumb question here, but does anyone have an easy way to not confuse Reaper's Hell's Ingress and Hell's Egress?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

If you want something that breaks down a jobs abilities really well and explains how they all interact into a solid (but not ultra optimal) rotation, weskalbers videos are the way to go. Unfortunately his ninja guide came out just before 6.1 when trick attack and mug got changed but it's still a really good resource if you want to learn from the basics: https://youtu.be/Uby5VR-Vhuw

Also his videos have these adorably old fashioned early 2010s style YouTube intro cards.

Mainwaring fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 26, 2022

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

SettingSun posted:

The Balance has a website nowadays, since people kept telling them that Discord is awful as a repository of information. Unfortunately it's not always 100% up to date with the Discord stickies, but it's usually a good place to start.

I've looked at Icy Vein's FF14 section a couple of times, mostly because they believe in the now-novelty notion of non-video boss guides, and they're good. The one asterisk is that their guides are more "we hired this one guy who was good at [enter job here] to write a guide" which can bias them to whatever their guy prefers, whereas the balance is more collaborative. I think that's more of a quote-unquote problem for the boss guides than the job guides, though; with how FF14 is designed there's not really any debate on how to gear and play a job.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Also real dumb question here, but does anyone have an easy way to not confuse Reaper's Hell's Ingress and Hell's Egress?
I try to keep movement buttons for various classes on V and shift+V with V being abilities that moves me forward, Ingress in Reaper's case, and shift+V being backward.

Unfortunately I have not done this with knockback invulnerability skills so I regularly have to check my bars to see where I put Surecast/Arm's Length for the job I'm on

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Surecast/Arm's Length are situational enough that if you're a KBM player you can just click them IMO.

They hang out in my giant "PAY ATTENTION TO THESE TIMERS, DUMBASS" bars so I (usually) don't gently caress 'em up.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mainwaring posted:

If you want something that breaks down a jobs abilities really well and explains how they all interact into a solid (but not ultra optimal) rotation, weskalbers videos are the way to go. Unfortunately his ninja guide came out just before 6.1 when trick attack and mug got changed but it's still a really good resource I'd you want to learn from the basics: https://youtu.be/Uby5VR-Vhuw

Also his videos have these adorably old fashioned early 2010s style YouTube intro cards.

Wait, they changed trick attack? But my windows!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

trick attack buffs only your own dps by 10% now. otherwise its the same. mug is the party buff.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Ninjas get a cool rabbit hat during combat

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sunday Morning posted:

Ninjas get a cool rabbit hat during combat

The goal is to make him appear at every opportunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

True ninjas use the rabbit to greet each other.