Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

😵

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I get July 4th as an entire week company holiday, way better than trying to take a bunch of time at Christmas.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

we’re doing summer hours rn which means a half day on Friday, and since summers are usually slow due to crunch time being late autumn through spring, it’s just incredibly chill.

I fixed a bug today then ate lunch with the family, went on a walk, and now me and a coworker are playing with Compose

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

KidDynamite posted:

non-fibonacci pointing????

its my firmly held belief that fibonacci pointing is done to distract nerds from the interminable points-vs-time discussion

nerds: "why dont we just use hours or days, this point system is ridiculous"

agile coach: "so in the point system, we use a fibonacci number system to represent our estimates"

nerds: "oooo points"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

we’re doing summer hours rn which means a half day on Friday, and since summers are usually slow due to crunch time being late autumn through spring, it’s just incredibly chill.

I fixed a bug today then ate lunch with the family, went on a walk, and now me and a coworker are playing with Compose

is compose good? I've yet to really fucj with it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

its my firmly held belief that fibonacci pointing is done to distract nerds from the interminable points-vs-time discussion

nerds: "why dont we just use hours or days, this point system is ridiculous"

agile coach: "so in the point system, we use a fibonacci number system to represent our estimates"

nerds: "oooo points"

Agile uses cult like jargon to get people lost in the sauce

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Agile sucks. I'm here to say it loud and often. Sprints are bad. Points are bad. Millions of meetings are bad. Perhaps the original manifesto had some good ideas but it's been perverted by many seminar holders and expanded into a pile of trash

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The best teams I've ever worked on have skipped 90% of the"ritual" meetings because they correctly identified them as a waste of time and mental energy

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
holidays are separate from pto.

however, at my company, we take the week between christmas and new year's off. the office is closed, you aren't allowed to work even if you wanted to, because the bosses know that no work gets done that week. but they've got a funny way of accounting for it. every quarter you've been with the company gets you one of those days free. otherwise, you have to use your own pto to cover them. maybe you were just hired in q4 and you don't have enough pto accumulated yet? then you have to use unpaid time off, working is not an option. this comes up every single year with new hires because we advertise the free holiday week as a perk that they come to realize doesn't apply to them and only them

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

agile is a tool like a gun or shoes and like any tool it can be used for good or evil

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

agile is a tool like a gun or shoes and like any tool it can be used for good or evil

Agile is the zyklon b of tools

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

Agile sucks. I'm here to say it loud and often. Sprints are bad. Points are bad. Millions of meetings are bad. Perhaps the original manifesto had some good ideas but it's been perverted by many seminar holders and expanded into a pile of trash

it's only good so far as you can use your retrospectives to shape it into an effective process for your team. this was not at all true at my last place and sort of true at my current place

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sure it might squash bugs, but at what human cost

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Asleep Style posted:

it's only good so far as you can use your retrospectives to shape it into an effective process for your team

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Either management steers your team or you can do it effectively without the meeting. I've never been in one that was actually useful

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

is compose good? I've yet to really fucj with it

I think it’s fuckin incredible so far, but I’ve hated xml since day one

I’m concerned google is going to deprecate fragment soon and want to get ahead of the game

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Im fact they have been frequently used by lovely managers to snoop on teams and chide them for complaining in my experience. there's 1 right way to agile and a billion wrong ones

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I think it’s fuckin incredible so far, but I’ve hated xml since day one

I’m concerned google is going to deprecate fragment soon and want to get ahead of the game

gently caress fragment

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

PokeJoe posted:

The best teams I've ever worked on have skipped 90% of the"ritual" meetings because they correctly identified them as a waste of time and mental energy

This is what's actually supposed to happen and most of the Scrum training just completely fails to mention it. The teams are supposed to self-organize and self-determine their processes. How often does either of those things actually happen?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

rotor posted:

can i throw agile at george w bush's head?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you can throw anything you want at george w bushs head, it's always justified

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

DELETE CASCADE posted:

if that works well for your team you have my blessing

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

If you're out of days do you have to work Christmas?

i refuse to work on qixi or new years or the january new years. i can get away with this

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i never really had birthday parties as a kid and i feel bad about it

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I don't celebrate my birthday as an adult and my therapist feels bad about it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hbagbhaopy biethday what's your cjs

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jesus Christ typing on a phone just gets worse and loving worse

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

PokeJoe posted:

hbagbhaopy

Mods please change hbag's username

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I had to turn auto-correct off entirely a few months ago, it's a poo poo show

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

gently caress fragment

mega agreedo

the big thing I like is we end up with a singular activity hosting composable functions, which aligns with how iOS works and eliminates almost if not all of the annoying lifecycle management bullshit that makes android dev a special pain in the rear end

also being able to finally scrap jetpack navigation will be nice

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

is it normal for company-shutdown days (like 2 days around xmas, that kind of thing) to be taken from pto accrual

no that's hosed up

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

hbag posted:

i never really had birthday parties as a kid and i feel bad about it

i had some that were okay i guess, but i don't remember any of them that fondly nor do i think about them particularly often. i also never went to a school dance of any kind and i turned out great.

being an adult is like a thousand percent better than being a kid/teen/adolescent

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Asleep Style posted:

it's only good so far as you can use your retrospectives to shape it into an effective process for your team. this was not at all true at my last place and sort of true at my current place

agile has the property of not being able to fail, only to be failed, and if any ideology has that property you can sorta chuck it into the trash immediately

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Achmed Jones posted:

no that's hosed up

yeah that’s hosed. I’m taking tomorrow off, and also not working this afternoon because I’m pretty sure they are gonna do that email nonsense “take off after lunch and get your weekend started early” bullshit. im not losing a half day of pto because you can’t be arsed to codify it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

we do the half day off on fridays before holiday weekends too. BUT it's technically manager discretion, so no it does not mean you can spend 4 pto hours to get the whole friday off. if you want to take the whole day off it's still 8 hours

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

agile has the property of not being able to fail, only to be failed, and if any ideology has that property you can sorta chuck it into the trash immediately

agile is a selection of tools and practices you can use or not use, it is not an ideology

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Ciaphas posted:

is it normal for company-shutdown days (like 2 days around xmas, that kind of thing) to be taken from pto accrual

it's "normal" in the way that a lot of places do it but no, it's not normal

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

no that's hosed up

completely hosed up

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

DELETE CASCADE posted:

we do the half day off on fridays before holiday weekends too. BUT it's technically manager discretion, so no it does not mean you can spend 4 pto hours to get the whole friday off. if you want to take the whole day off it's still 8 hours

ya i forgot the “if your workload allows” caveat. im gonna get mine though, just need to hit the touch id every half hour or so and slack will show me as green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

yeah the obvious solution here is to just "work" aka post for 4 hours