Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

rotor posted:

agile is a selection of tools and practices you can use or not use, it is not an ideology

if you start off as a manifesto its an ideology hth

tools and practices came after the manifesto

i still cant believe they hosed up the chrysler payroll project and then decided to build their new way of doing software on that. i would listen to like, the google search peeps 2000-2010 way of doin software or torvalds way of doing software or stonebraker or hipp or bellard or carmacks way of doing software but i dont wanna listen to someone who hasnt actually produced good software talk about producing good software

fuckin jeffries and sudoku, man

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you start off as a manifesto its an ideology hth

tools and practices came after the manifesto

those are the important bits, you can disregard the ideology. everyone else does.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

PokeJoe posted:

If you're out of days do you have to work Christmas?

afaict depending on unspecified circumstances we either go negative, draw from a different pool of hours (military pay/voting days/??? i guess???), or go unpaid

there's a chance i'm misinterpreting the language in the policy doc so i'm checking with HR - i'm gonna be capital A Annoyed if i'm getting snubbed for like 25% of my annual PTO, i know that much

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 26, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'm gonna be mad at me if hours have been vanishing from my balance these 3 years and i failed to notice

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

mega agreedo

the big thing I like is we end up with a singular activity hosting composable functions, which aligns with how iOS works and eliminates almost if not all of the annoying lifecycle management bullshit that makes android dev a special pain in the rear end

also being able to finally scrap jetpack navigation will be nice

navigation components are...tolerable compared to fragment transactions but i'll cheer on the death of the fragment entirely. put it in the guillotine we should have never left the holy activity

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ciaphas posted:

afaict depending on unspecified circumstances we either go negative, draw from a different pool of hours (military pay/voting days/??? i guess???), or go unpaid

there's a chance i'm misinterpreting the language in the policy doc so i'm checking with HR - i'm gonna be capital A Annoyed if i'm getting snubbed for like 25% of my annual PTO, i know that much

this policy sucks rear end if it works that way

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yup the policy loving sucks, hr confirms that 25% of my pto accrual's spent on those shutdown days

this actually double-sucks because i was hoping to put off the job change thing at least until i know better how the gently caress i'm gonna handle The Transgender Thing with respect to presentation

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 26, 2022

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

cjs: loving fixed someone else's code by re-writing it and giving them instructions on why they did it wrong only to get no response back. :sigh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oog now i'm mad at myself for not noticing these past 3 years, even though i know drat well i'm not the bad actor here

stuipid loving brainworms i hate you so much

but, it appears my team lead had no idea about this either, and is "formulating a response", so there's maybe hope yet

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

if absolutely nothing else i now need to figure out how the gently caress to prepare for interviews at my experience level and with thinking under stress being a severe problem [the stress does not & will not go away with interview practice]

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

if absolutely nothing else i now need to figure out how the gently caress to prepare for interviews at my experience level and with thinking under stress being a severe problem [the stress does not & will not go away with interview practice]

your worksona wants to 996 and hates breaks during interviews. you touch fish after you're hired

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

carmacks way of doing software

getting blind drunk and marveling at what you wrote in the morning?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

dioxazine posted:

your worksona wants to 996 and hates breaks during interviews. you touch fish after you're hired

what in the sam hell is this sentence

(e) no really what the gently caress is 996 and touching fish supposed to loving mean

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 26, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

KidDynamite posted:

getting blind drunk and marveling at what you wrote in the morning?

and a pizza every day

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

if nothing else these findings are the only excuse i need to gently caress off & get high instead of working at all today or tomorrow

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

(e) no really what the gently caress is 996 and touching fish supposed to loving mean

touching fish is slacking off

i think 996 is 9am to 9pm 6 days/week

its like you don't even read the thread man

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Ciaphas posted:

996 is a work schedule of 9 hours a day for 6 days a week, i forget what the other 9 means

touching fish is a chinese idiom for goldbricking

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
9-9, not 9 hours a day. 12 hours a day

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they do get naps tho

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Fool posted:

touching fish is slacking off

i think 996 is 9am to 9pm 6 days/week

its like you don't even read the thread man

i don't keep up religiously anymore, no, what of it

but thank you for clarifying

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
996 touches of fish in every fireplace

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

9-9, not 9 hours a day. 12 hours a day

:rip:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ciaphas posted:

oog now i'm mad at myself for not noticing these past 3 years, even though i know drat well i'm not the bad actor here

stuipid loving brainworms i hate you so much

but, it appears my team lead had no idea about this either, and is "formulating a response", so there's maybe hope yet

is his response also a resignation letter

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

is his response also a resignation letter

i imagine i'll find out before long :v: he's certainly unhappy about it too

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

is it normal for company-shutdown days (like 2 days around xmas, that kind of thing) to be taken from pto accrual

at hospitals it is usually set up where holidays come out of PTO, since they need people working every single day. you accrue at a yearly rate that covers PTO + holidays though, instead of them stealing from you

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

navigation components are...tolerable compared to fragment transactions but i'll cheer on the death of the fragment entirely. put it in the guillotine we should have never left the holy activity

yeah exactly. it’s better than what it was, but things like ViewModel by navgraph will cause random and unreproducable crashes that seem to only happen on Samsungs and only if Jupiter is at its zenith

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cjs: in no mood to work.

living in a dystopia is bad for work ethic.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

yeah i know how you feel ive been feeling pretty down on account of news following lately.

wife got laid off today too. bay area job market for computer company non-computer touchers (and some computer touchers) seems like it may be headed for some rough times. my linkedin feed has been a bloodbath lately.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

post hole digger posted:

yeah i know how you feel ive been feeling pretty down on account of news following lately.

wife got laid off today too. bay area job market for non-computer touchers (and some computer touchers) seems like it may be headed for some rough times. my linkedin feed has been a bloodbath lately.

sorry to hear. it certainly seems that way, with medical being the only field to be booming for, uh.. obvious reasons

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

thanks. we'll be fine on my income and i feel very safe in my current position (knock on wood) but you never know I suppose.

now, to touch some drat fish

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cjs: having a hard time caring about work today, but trying to

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ciaphas posted:

uh it's this

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's not a high effort kind of day

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
cjs: The beta testers keep going to the URL of the old version of the application and wondering why they can't log in. I've told everybody the right URL twice now and I'm gonna need to tell them a third time. :)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cls: noticed a funky lookin pimple mole thingo on my head and went to the derm. they took a biopsy and I’m probably having it removed in the next week since they seem to think it’s a carcinoma

wear sunscreen folks!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

CPColin posted:

cjs: The beta testers keep going to the URL of the old version of the application and wondering why they can't log in. I've told everybody the right URL twice now and I'm gonna need to tell them a third time. :)

send a mail to all of them and tag yourself on it so that you can enjoy reply all to its fullest

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

dioxazine posted:

send a mail to all of them and tag yourself on it so that you can enjoy reply all to its fullest

Exactly what I did last time! :) :) :)

I was debating turning off the old version of the application and replacing it with a "Go here, dummy" link, but it's the Test environment for the version that's currently in Production and that seems like poor planning.

Edit: I really look forward to turning off some of these old servers, which are only still running to serve such "Go here, dummy" links for other applications, and watching the tickets roll in.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

seems like a real waste of resources. though i suppose everyone filters mails from the tech dept automatically into the trash

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ray liotta died I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

dioxazine posted:

seems like a real waste of resources. though i suppose everyone filters mails from the tech dept automatically into the trash

Yep! Fortunately, they're just VM's idling somewhere, most of the time. And yeah, the last time I left an "update your bookmarks and documentation to this new URL" link somewhere, somebody kept going to the old URL and clicking the link for several months and then filed a ticket when I finally disabled the old location. Seems like there's always going to be somebody who does that.