Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

how many situps and pushups do I need to do to not be a weak sack of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nvrgrls posted:

how many situps and pushups do I need to do to not be a weak sack of poo poo

a hundred

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

real answer: do starting strength

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

one legged squats while holding some supplemental weight in front of my chest was great for keeping my quads and general squat weight up during pandemic

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

akadajet posted:

yea its this. every muscle group needs hit. dont worry theres only like 7 and don't let anyone scare you into thinking there is more than 8

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

chest
legs
shoulders
lats
traps
tri's
bi's

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 27, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

carry on then posted:

from experience, those connectors suck rear end and at least mine would get stuck hard enough to need tools to get it unstuck

give it a shot but if yours is like mine, once it starts giving you trouble just order a 1-inch barbell and some clips online, i was kicking myself for wasting so much time once i did that because it's so much nicer

i ordered another connector but if it doesn't fit im just gonna go straight for the barbell to save myself time. i want the connector to save space though i live in a 1 bedroom apartment w my gf so space is a premium even though i expect it to be worse than a straight barbell

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

have you considered just curling your gf?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

deadlifting her is the real challenge, i get too handsy

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

deadlifting women ftw

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PokeJoe posted:

i ordered another connector but if it doesn't fit im just gonna go straight for the barbell to save myself time. i want the connector to save space though i live in a 1 bedroom apartment w my gf so space is a premium even though i expect it to be worse than a straight barbell

yeah that was my initial worry but these things take up so little space leaning up in a corner of a closet or something. especially if it's compatible with your existing plates.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

akadajet posted:

do a bro split instead because they are more fun

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i second guessed myself and just ordered a barbell that can take my dumbbell weights, im giving up on the connector quest

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

hope yallre well i failed a deadlift last time and kinda strained the part of my butt btwn my hip and the upper muscle part

its better but its always scary to fail something ime

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I almost failed my last bench press rep yesterday lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

walked 20 miles this weekend and feel not completely wrecked so that's good

akadajet posted:

I almost failed my last bench press rep yesterday lol
I did that once and sprained my wrist so be careful

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

I did that once and sprained my wrist so be careful

yeah. I did once and dumped the weights to the side. not fun

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I watched a guy dump a bench press yesterday and then try again at 1/4 the weight

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

I watched a guy dump a bench press yesterday and then try again at 1/4 the weight
that's good! appropriately dial back the weight and get those super sets in after you maxed to failure

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it was his first set lol

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Behold my home gym

Yes the cat ears are for lifting before anyone asks

still need to return the useless dumbbell connectors

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 31, 2022

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i usually fail on my last set or two, god bless dumbbell bench i can just drop em

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i want to get a power cage before i do squats or bench again. ofc i only have like 90lbs of weight and no barbell so im not exactly ready to set up a full home gym

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

going back and being more cogniscent of my form at a lighter weight i feel is more correct but like def affects gains

i really want to figure out how to improve my grip without using gloves or chalk or straps or the weird thumb-breaking grip, but i feel like just going until i can grip confidently at the weight i'm at is the way to go

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

do some grip accessory exercises. farmers carries and such. also you should definitely use chalk, liquid chalk is relatively mess free and works well

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

do some grip accessory exercises. farmers carries and such. also you should definitely use chalk, liquid chalk is relatively mess free and works well

this is what I use. I’ve never used regular chalk so I don’t know how it compares

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i use gloves since my dumbbell set has the world's roughest knurling and i just keep them on the whole session

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i used to use gloves. gloves make your grip worse because they increase the diameter you have to grab. embrace the calluses

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Speaking of, I bought the cheapest 45 pound plates I could find and the handle holes have such lovely powder coating that they're sharp and cut your hands so I have to take a file to them :/

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

big fan of farmers walks. my partner and I will walk home from the farmers market loaded down with melons and such and call that farmers market walks

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

did 235lbs for 3 sets of 5 today back squat. gonna go for 245lbs next time

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

akadajet posted:

did 235lbs for 3 sets of 5 today back squat. gonna go for 245lbs next time

yeyuh keep at it

though stupid it annoys me when people go do squats with heeled shoes or like take off their shoes to do squats, kinda grody ngl

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

anybody know what the options are for a really compact rack that would fit in an apartment? i'd like to actually do bench press instead of dumbbell press and to be able to front squat more than i can power clean into position. i'm a weak nerd so it only needs to be able to hold like 250lbs although headroom to grow further would be nice

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Share Bear posted:

yeyuh keep at it

though stupid it annoys me when people go do squats with heeled shoes or like take off their shoes to do squats, kinda grody ngl

I bought squat shoes, op. they're pretty solid on the ground
https://www.adidas.com/us/powerlift-weightlifting-shoes/GZ2864.html

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

carry on then posted:

anybody know what the options are for a really compact rack that would fit in an apartment? i'd like to actually do bench press instead of dumbbell press and to be able to front squat more than i can power clean into position. i'm a weak nerd so it only needs to be able to hold like 250lbs although headroom to grow further would be nice

I'd only do this if there wasn't an affordable gym close by. Compact racks tend do be kind of unstable

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

akadajet posted:

I'd only do this if there wasn't an affordable gym close by. Compact racks tend do be kind of unstable

i'm not going to any gym during covid, there aren't any within walking distance anyway, and just to compare, you posted squatting 235, i'm currently front squatting 125 (because i can't get the bar up into position at 135), so my strength is nowhere near most of y'alls and i won't be pushing around the kind of weight you do for quite awhile.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i use some chairs to bench press off of and it works badly. i have the same squat issue though.

pseudo comedy option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1acIFO70B7c

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i lift weights in a pair of pink chuck hightops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

carry on then im planning on getting a power cage from fringe sport when i can afford it. they have regular squat racks too but i want the added safety of a cage. idk if it's small enough, im planning to put it in the garage. to my mind the issue is more having room to throw around barbells than it is room to put the rack/cage though