Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

edit: This is not an educational thread, it's a thread where the "slayer" tag is used alongside a thread about cops' Pogs featuring skulls and smoking guns. These coins are real and my captions are rooted in truth but dramatized for comedic effect. Agreed upon rules of the thread: (1) The concept of coinage is not evil it is Lawful Neutral, (2) Not All Challenge Coins

A Challenge Coin is a coin held by members of a clandestine organization that can be presented to others to prove membership. A way of saying "Yeah I'm part of the club" without saying "Yeah I'm part of the club". They're used in the military mostly.

The NYPD also has a lot of them. Here are some of the NYPD's challenge coins. (You can see more and read about them all at https://researchdestroy.com/nypd-challenge-coins.pdf which is where all of these screenshots came from)

(The NYPD admits to being organized street crime, 1999)

The one where the NYPD got a License to Kill:

The one where the NYPD spread pro-Police sentiment and gather intelligence from children via their heavy presence in East Harlem's basketball scene:

The one where NYPD officers at an intersection housing several drug treatment clinics pretend they're protecting the city from zombies:

The one where they pretend they're back in Afghanistan:

The one where they commemorate a cop who got a High Score of four kills and fifteen shootings over his career by depicting his four victims and the two guns he carried:

The one where they depict their neighborhood as a wasteland because they don't think it's fair that they were sued for $285,000 after one of their officers killed an armed suspect and shot 9 innocent bystanders in the process:

The one where the most corrupt precint of the 90s warns you not to approach them:

The one where they Remember the Alamo except instead of The Alamo it's the time a mob of Hasidic Jews protesting the stabbing of a Hasid and anti-semitism in the NYPD stormed their station, smashed everything and injured 62 of them:

The one where a precinct famous for beating and raping Carribean immigrants ask angels to protect them in battle against Carribean immigrants:

The one where a police officer is depicted as a skeleton in a police uniform firing a revolver at you and promises they can deliver you a homicide in 22 minutes:

The one where a skeleton cop is depicted having just shot you outside of famous public housing projects Marcy Houses:

The one where the police commemorate the time they got an NYPD corruption whistleblower locked up in a mental health facility:

The one where they admit that they're from the future and they're here to kill you:

The one where they display their desire to overthrow America:

The one where they depict "Command Discipline" (where a cop goes when they 'break the rules') as a skull-faced train through hell:

The one that commemorates hitting Occupy Wall Street protestors in the face with batons:

The one where they've been studying the Borg from Star Trek:

The one where the Brooklyn Narcotics Division lets you know that drugs they sell you are non-refundable:

The one commemorating The Sarge, a man who racked up a high score of civilian complaints and internal investigations:

The one where they refer to their battering rams as "The Key to the City":

The one where they're trying to fill out their pokedex:

The one where the NYPD department that works with ICE on immigration issues depicts themselves as The Punisher:

The one where they celebrate how much they've stolen:

The one created to celebrate the Juvenile Justice Division's plan to cyberstalk NYC youth:

The one they made to celebrate being the CIA's local operations branch:

The one dedicated to a division that works secretly, outside of their jurisdiction:

The one where they thought "Black Lives Matter" was a secret fraternity of assassins that targets police:

The one where they're... the planeteers?

The one where MAGA:

The other one where MAGA:

The third one where MAGA used by a special unit that protects Trump Tower:

The one celebrating the times that NYPD hires themselves out as private security for rich peoples' parties and events:

The one where... gently caress it.

Which one is your fav?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Funny how you chose to mock the police in a blue state instead of a red one. Makes you look like you're beating up Vichy France while ignoring the Fourth Reich right next door.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
An obese cop dies of a heart attack and thirty challenge coins pop out of him like Sonic rings

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Lmao at most of them especially the really dorky ones

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
America owns

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Deez nutz, ha gottem

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
A bunch of police are being called mean things on twitter and you're laughing. You're laughing.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Look, I mean, if the police aren't allowed to police the police the police won't be policed. It's simple math.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
surprised there isn't one about loving somebody else's wife, even if its another cop's, because IME NYPD love to talk about that

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

phasmid posted:

A bunch of police are being called mean things on twitter and you're laughing. You're laughing.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Different movie, sorry.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So these are like Funko pops but for the absolute worst of people.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Animal-Mother posted:

An obese cop dies of a heart attack and thirty challenge coins pop out of him like Sonic rings

I love this image and hey, I actually laughed this week.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

post the wife beating coin.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

There is at least one department with a sonic-based challenge coin, I guarantee it.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

well, i looked at that pdf, and

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

flubber nuts posted:

post the wife beating coin.

He posted like 20

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
There should be SA challenge coins so I can buy a coin with a laptop with two face on the screen for when koalas March and their sock puppet account got outed or a coin that has a dog skull with a brick background that says "playtime is over" or something.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The CIA designs are cooler

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

deep dish peat moss posted:

A Challenge Coin is a coin held by members of a clandestine organization that can be presented to others to prove membership. A way of saying "Yeah I'm part of the club" without saying "Yeah I'm part of the club".

I'm not defending anything here but that's really not what they are

They can be used for that, and definitely are, but that's a very, very small percentage of their use

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Lol

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Yaldabaoth posted:

Funny how you chose to mock the police in a blue state instead of a red one. Makes you look like you're beating up Vichy France while ignoring the Fourth Reich right next door.

This certainly is a take

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The Bloop posted:

I'm not defending anything here but that's really not what they are

They can be used for that, and definitely are, but that's a very, very small percentage of their use

Okay, so what is their use?

E. Because the only time I’ve seen them given out to non-LEO is to significant donors as a “get out of jail free” card

E2. Vvv lol

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Brother Tadger posted:

Vending machines?

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Brother Tadger posted:

E. Because the only time I’ve seen them given out to non-LEO is to significant donors as a “get out of jail free” card

E2. Vvv lol

I had a Suffolk county cop give me a PBA card once in Venice, FL. As if flashing that at a county sheriff or city cop here wouldn’t earn me a nightstick to the testicles.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
not gonna lie, that spinning dollar sign one is pretty sweet

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

They are a literal gang

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I have two challenge coins. My work was giving them out pre Covid.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brother Tadger posted:

E2. Vvv lol

Again to be clear I'm not saying no one uses them like that because that certainly happens but in theory and also largely in practice they're for when someone in a position of authority and experience witnesses someone else, typically a subordinate, do something particularly noteworthy or accomplish something impressive or extremely challenging. It's a Memento of encouragement like a more permanent version of a gold star sticker in elementary school. Individual leaders award them usually very publicly to someone who demonstrated character or courage in order to encourage them and others. Over time this morphed into including completing very challenging but standard programs like becoming a ranger or Navy SEAL.

Then it got sort of perverted into secret club membership cards for CHUDs or just things people buy themselves on the Trump gift shop website. Pretty much the same as any kind of stolen valor cosplay

They're not per se bad things. They're actually pretty pro-social motivation tools and are meant to be rare and meaningful gifts from mentors, not corruption currency.

Again I admit and agree that bad people use good things for bad reasons but challenge coins themselves are neutral at worst

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Szyznyk posted:

I had a Suffolk county cop give me a PBA card once in Venice, FL. As if flashing that at a county sheriff or city cop here wouldn’t earn me a nightstick to the testicles.

PBA?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Waffle! posted:

The CIA designs are cooler

The one on the left clearly shows that their ultimate goal is to kill the whole world.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I like the one about how they're cool and violent, and allowed to be violent which is also cool

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Police Benevolent Organization. It’s how one gets out of tickets in the civilized North.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Again to be clear I'm not saying no one uses them like that because that certainly happens but in theory and also largely in practice they're for when someone in a position of authority and experience witnesses someone else, typically a subordinate, do something particularly noteworthy or accomplish something impressive or extremely challenging. It's a Memento of encouragement like a more permanent version of a gold star sticker in elementary school. Individual leaders award them usually very publicly to someone who demonstrated character or courage in order to encourage them and others. Over time this morphed into including completing very challenging but standard programs like becoming a ranger or Navy SEAL.

Then it got sort of perverted into secret club membership cards for CHUDs or just things people buy themselves on the Trump gift shop website. Pretty much the same as any kind of stolen valor cosplay

They're not per se bad things. They're actually pretty pro-social motivation tools and are meant to be rare and meaningful gifts from mentors, not corruption currency.

Again I admit and agree that bad people use good things for bad reasons but challenge coins themselves are neutral at worst

did you like read what the coins said on them? lol if any of those were publicly given out

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wendigee posted:

did you like read what the coins said on them? lol if any of those were publicly given out

Did you read my posts? Here let me simplify:

Those are indeed bad coins.

The very idea of coins is not bad.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

The Bloop posted:

Did you read my posts? Here let me simplify:

Those are indeed bad coins.

The very idea of coins is not bad.

Thank gently caress you clarified that coins aren't inherently evil

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Think Less posted:

Thank gently caress you clarified that coins aren't inherently evil

Yes I was indeed clarifying my response to the op, as asked.

One of the best things about these here forums is that you can make an effortpost about something you know about in one thread and then post "fart" in another

All right in the same place!

Fart.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Yes I was indeed clarifying my response to the op, as asked.

One of the best things about these here forums is that you can make an effortpost about something you know about in one thread and then post "fart" in another

All right in the same place!

Fart.

For your own sake don't try to have a serious conversation here or you'll find out why quickly

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just posted pictures of funny coins but now I'm thinking that some coins might actually be evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

satanic splash-back posted:

For your own sake don't try to have a serious conversation here or you'll find out why quickly

Yes I am new here it's my first day