Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Overbite posted:

Is the kiwi usb3 to c cable any good? I’m using an anker right now but it’s only 10 feet and I want a longer one.

Also, the quest 2 is comfortable enough but as soon as I put it on it presses down on my nose in a way where it makes me feel sort of stuffy, like it’s pinching it. I can’t adjust it so it doesn’t do that.

And half life alyx likes to hard crash my pc. Complete black screen.

I think the general consensus is any old cable will do. I haven't used one in a long time since Airlink works flawlessly for me.

A new headstrap will fix that, one that lets you tilt the headset slightly upward and/or has a counterweight at the back.

Is your computer being turned off when it black screens? If so, blow the dust out of it and maybe consider getting a new power supply. Same thing was happening to me and cleaning out my PC made things run perfectly again but my power supply died about a month later. VR games seem to really heat up a PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I've been getting a bit into VR again after seeing this great video about VR Chat, but I'm finding that using the Quest 2 linked up over USB-C with the Oculus Link cable results in the headset getting less energy than it uses, resulting in the battery draining pretty quickly. Is there anything I can do to stop that?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I believe if you have a decent enough cable, it will charge, but I just use a battery pack strapped to the back of the headset so I get like 8 hours after a charge while streaming wirelessly with Virtual Desktop.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The cable will still give you a solid extra 2-3 hours, so it’s not that big a deal unless you really want to be in VRC all day.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I get minimal battery drain with the cable plugged in after a couple hours of playing, I have never had the battery drain enough even after hours and hours (played Skyrim VR during a lockdown until I got stabbing pains in my eyes) where it's even been worth worrying about.

But why that's different for me apparently than for you I guess could be a lot of things, is there a usb hub in the middle that's not supplying enough power? Is it the cable itself? Have you done anything to the Quest in sidequest or somewhere that might make it drain power more quickly?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
the longer the cable the less it'll charge due to impedance. TBH it's best just to lean into the wirelesss

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

the longer the cable the less it'll charge due to impedance. TBH it's best just to lean into the wirelesss

Agreed.

The only game that ive ever noticed the latency on is buttsaber and its only because I'm a pp grinding idiot playing 8 star+ maps.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Wireless VR is the loving best. I only use the Index for seated games (racing, flight, etc.) and everything else is Quest 2 w/Virtual Desktop (works better for me than AirLink).

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I've only had my VR for 2 days so likely havent figured it out yet, but playing NMS from Steam over airlink was a stuttery unplayable mess for me.
Grip kinda played ok, except when I got into a race I had no volume, main menu all came through with audio fine though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My Sword controllers finally arrived! :bubblewoop:

Quick out-of-the-box review as I'm TECHNICALLY working atm :ninja:; They're not bad! They'll appear as generic controllers in SteamVR's dashboard, but you just pair them as Vive wands and away you go from the looks of it. Only issue is they're not showing up with a controller model in VR, but I suspect that's expected if SteamVR doesn't know what to make of them beyond them having standard Vive wand inputs. Though funnily enough the laser pointer starts exactly from where the LED strip would be as though it's aware of the Sword controller's dimensions.

They're an interesting blend of various VR controllers, with the ergonomics of the Oculus controller, the strap of the Index controller, and the inputs of the Vive wands. At a feel the triggers are VERY sensitive with a short pull, and there's no initial resistance like with Index and Vive triggers. The Grip button travels in before clicking like a trigger, but I don't know if the travel distance is tracked like an analogue trigger because it's paired as a Vive Wand and all that cares is Grip is off/on.

The hand strap looks to be the same material as the Index's straps, though of note is the positional slider at the top is different in that it's just on a fairly gentle spring pushing to where the inner-most position would be on an Index controller, rather than ratcheting into four set positions, and I frankly like it much better for finding a comfortable grip. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the arm connecting to the strap is plastic instead of metal, and odd considering the part connecting to strap itself IS metal. Balance is also excellent and feels centered on your palm, and the ring does not impact your wrist's range of movement in the slightest.

Obviously time will be the telling factor, but I don't think the trackpads will have the same issue the Vive ones do where eventually they wear down enough they can't click the button beneath. At a tap they feel like the travel distance is shallower.

So, initially at least, they are indeed Better Vive Wands as expected.

edit: Slight update on the missing SteamVR models; If you have PiTool installed SteamVR will actually recognise the Sword controllers, with some very basic-textured and unrigged controller models in SteamVR (ie; The triggers and buttons don't mimic actual inputs). I only installed PiTool to see if it could update the firmware on them, in case that was needed, but without a Pimax headset connected PiTool won't do squat and I don't really care to have it installed just for the models.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 27, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

OgNar posted:

I've only had my VR for 2 days so likely havent figured it out yet, but playing NMS from Steam over airlink was a stuttery unplayable mess for me.
Grip kinda played ok, except when I got into a race I had no volume, main menu all came through with audio fine though.

What computer? NMS is on the 'high end' of VR games. The game wasn't designed thinking on VR and it shows, and hell, the normal 2d version also needs a good computer to not have stutters.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Eternal Starlight update
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af3f0sTE5NY

Teaser for Zenith
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64avCBcq5os

Green Hell PC coming on June 9th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt8S7AZn-Hs

Retro looking arcade, 1941
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLQqboPGQWA

Last Clockwinder review - 8
https://www.roadtovr.com/the-last-clockwinder-review-quest-2-steam/

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Shine posted:

Wireless VR is the loving best. I only use the Index for seated games (racing, flight, etc.) and everything else is Quest 2 w/Virtual Desktop (works better for me than AirLink).

Link and Airlink are generally fine, but VD handles things so much better than the Oculus compression when it matters. In a Synth Riders custom song the author used square obstacle pieces to make a cool rotating tunnel effect in neon pink, and while it displayed properly in VD, Oculus just absolutely poo poo the bed and threw out a screen full of pink noise. I could maybe try upping the bitrate over Link in the debug tool, but even Airlink messes it up at 200mbps, so I'm not sure it'll help.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What kind of psycho puts tanks in their shooter game, at about 75% through, but does not put in any antitank weapons at all?

Apparently, the folks who make Into The Radius :mad:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:sickos:

Time to test this out... gonna join one of those poorly optimized worlds in VRChat!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
bilbo's home is the most gpu intensive environment I can think of

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Leal posted:

:sickos:

Time to test this out... gonna join one of those poorly optimized worlds in VRChat!

Welcome to the club!

Now you can use all that power to watched pirated movies in VR chat next to a dozen furries.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Now that my move is finished, I need to get some of those camera tripods for my vive, don't want to mount to the walls of the appartment

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Twibbit posted:

Now that my move is finished, I need to get some of those camera tripods for my vive, don't want to mount to the walls of the appartment

If your ceiling isn't too high, I recommend contractor poles with a c-clamp lighting mount to hold the base station in place.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
They are near 10ft! Which means I don't have to worry about the ceiling fan. Looking more at this 45$ double packs from skywin since for most situations I imagine the 7.5ft height will be enough

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Twibbit posted:

They are near 10ft! Which means I don't have to worry about the ceiling fan. Looking more at this 45$ double packs from skywin since for most situations I imagine the 7.5ft height will be enough

Skywin's VR gear seems to be pretty solid, so that should do fine.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

EbolaIvory posted:

I must of missed your question because I had nothing but issues with oculus and win11.

Its why my main VR rig is on 10 again.

With that said, My index and steamvr based headsets were fine. It was just my oculus that didn't like win11

Ballbags. I really can't be arsed to wipe this machine and put W10 on it. Maybe I'll try out Virtual Deskop, ALVR while I wait for Meta/Oculus to improve things a bit. It's not really that bad, certainly not unplayable. Just a bit of jitter here and there. Could even just be my router I guess.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

chippy posted:

So if anyone's interested, using AirLink on Windows 11 with a 3080, I was seeing some 'juddering' (in Alyx) but only for objects close to you, stuff further away didn't seem to be affected. It didn't really make things unplayable but it was a little jarring and annoying. I saw a couple of news article saying that it was a Windows 11 problem and there there was a fix currently in the Public Test Channel for the Oculus software. I've switched to that and it does seem to have improved it. It's still there, but now it's an occasional judder rather than a constant, regular one.

I know most people mostly seemed to respond saying they hadn't had any issues with Windows 11 when I asked, but if anyone is having issues, seems like that is worth trying.

Any other performance tuning tips would be welcomed. By the way, has anyone tried using 90Hz for SteamVR stuff over AirLink? I'm going to try if myself but was surprised to see the Oculus software warning that it's not recommended.

Are you sure the judder is from airlink?

I have a suspicion it's from ASW.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

forest spirit posted:

I have a suspicion YOU'RE from ASW, NERD.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Turin Turambar posted:

What computer? NMS is on the 'high end' of VR games. The game wasn't designed thinking on VR and it shows, and hell, the normal 2d version also needs a good computer to not have stutters.

Looks like my janky/jittery steam connection was fixed by Virtual Desktop Shine mentioned.
While NMS is kinda potato like atm it plays fine now.
Just need to tweak.
Still have a problem with Subnautica where I cant figure how to scroll down to a save.
It seems to be stuck at new game.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Anyone have suggestions on which are good to get?
https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/best-of-elite-vr-build-your-own-bundle

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ultrawings / Gadgeteer / Paper Beast

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

forest spirit posted:

No not sure, I don't have a lot of experience with this. Just presumed really, strengthened by the fact that switching to the public test version which contained a fix, made it a bit better. Any way I can test this?

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Turin Turambar posted:

Ultrawings / Gadgeteer / Paper Beast

Paper beast is so cool.

I'll get the other two and maybe Star Shelter. I'm a huge sucker for space VR games.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Thanks for the GRIP recommended on Steam sale. Loving the futuristic racing in VR, takes me back to sinking hours into Wipeout and Extreme G on the N64.

I'm playing it on my Quest2, with Virtual Desktop. On loading screens I get that horrible flickering effect. I have noticed it on other apps as well but it's by far the worst here.

Is there anyway to get rid of it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sprint Vector's pretty fun, but the multiplayer is completely dead of course.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

chippy posted:

Ballbags. I really can't be arsed to wipe this machine and put W10 on it. Maybe I'll try out Virtual Deskop, ALVR while I wait for Meta/Oculus to improve things a bit. It's not really that bad, certainly not unplayable. Just a bit of jitter here and there. Could even just be my router I guess.

I straight up went back to 10 because no combo of poo poo worked "just right" on oculus. And it bleeds into steamvr poo poo too.

I know a few folks who have managed to get things working enough to use it but win 11 just isn't VR ready imo.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I did some more messing around with an idea I have had. It seems to me that all the right pieces exist so that I could create a wireless "workstation" with:
1. A wireless Quest for display
2. A wireless (tracked) keyboard for input
3. A portable and compact (and battery powered) raspberry pi 4 + camera as the computer

And have all I need for a functional wireless, portable, linux "workstation" in VR.
Everything is accessible via web browser windows, so there's no need for virtual desktop or whatever.

As a side bonus, you can use the camera pointing towards yourself for some situational awareness. Which is neat. I've talked briefly about this before, but it's actually kind of trippy in a very mild out-of-body experience sort of way. (Using an edge detect filter kills that feeling, however, I think because the video doesn't look 'real' so you don't identify it as yourself.)

Anyway I played with all this for a bit to see how it felt doing stuff and working in it with limited tools, and here's the short version

Longer version:

Three browser windows open in Oculus browser. Camera live view on the left (running OpenCV edge detection)

VNC desktop on the right to the (headless) RPi desktop

Terminal window in the middle, tracked keyboard in my lap. I don't really like the apple magic keyboard but I wanted to play with a tracked KB so :shrug:

I messed around like this for a while.

Awful stuff:
  • Hand tracking is a really bad mouse substitute in general and also in a few specific ways. Scrolling code in an editing window for example sucks super duper hard because half the time it selects a block, etc instead of scrolling.
  • Clicking on little things like application menu bar icons in a remote desktop sucks sweaty old man balls, pinch-clicking is imprecise for that kind of poo poo
  • Focus doesn't work as expected a lot of the time (click on the browser address bar to type in it, look down at keyboard for a moment, the address bar no longer has focus anymore for typing there, poo poo like that)
  • The UI is clearly not built around this. It's like the UI doesn't know or care that you're trying to do "work" and will just -- for example -- trash one of the three browser windows to open something else up, killing whatever web-based thing you were working on in the process.

Oh yeah the keyboard doesn't work right in the VNC window for some reason. Like, backspace (and more) doesn't work lol. Makes anything other than clicking GUI unusable.

So in summary

It's a reminder that having all of the right "pieces" is only part of the battle. It's easy to take for granted how streamlined a modern OS and UI is when it comes to interoperability and user experience and stuff.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

chippy posted:

So if anyone's interested, using AirLink on Windows 11 with a 3080, I was seeing some 'juddering' (in Alyx) but only for objects close to you, stuff further away didn't seem to be affected. It didn't really make things unplayable but it was a little jarring and annoying. I saw a couple of news article saying that it was a Windows 11 problem and there there was a fix currently in the Public Test Channel for the Oculus software. I've switched to that and it does seem to have improved it. It's still there, but now it's an occasional judder rather than a constant, regular one.

I know most people mostly seemed to respond saying they hadn't had any issues with Windows 11 when I asked, but if anyone is having issues, seems like that is worth trying.

Any other performance tuning tips would be welcomed. By the way, has anyone tried using 90Hz for SteamVR stuff over AirLink? I'm going to try if myself but was surprised to see the Oculus software warning that it's not recommended.

I just got a new 3070ti so I gave Alyx another try and ran into this issue yesterday, on Windows 10. It's especially obvious on close up things like your hands but would happen during movement as well, especially backwards.My framerate was pinned to 90 the whole time and if I looked at my computer screen the movement looked smooth. In the Quest2 it wasn't. It looks like it's an issue a lot of people have. I haven't found a solution so far but there is a lot of people on reddit talking about it - https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/rnbeut/shining_a_light_on_the_linkairlink_steamvr/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I just got a new 3070ti so I gave Alyx another try and ran into this issue yesterday, on Windows 10. It's especially obvious on close up things like your hands but would happen during movement as well, especially backwards.My framerate was pinned to 90 the whole time and if I looked at my computer screen the movement looked smooth. In the Quest2 it wasn't. It looks like it's an issue a lot of people have. I haven't found a solution so far but there is a lot of people on reddit talking about it - https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/rnbeut/shining_a_light_on_the_linkairlink_steamvr/

Try the beta (ptc) of the Oculus software, as per
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-ptc-air-link-windows-11-fix/

Also try this
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-link-windows-11-judder-fix/

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I just tried it on Alyx with Virtual Desktop instead, and for me it doesn't have the issue, while everything also (performance, quality etc.) seems to be more or less on par with AirLink. So for me that seems to be the solution for now. I haven't tried the 'always show console' fix yet though. Funny how they are doing a better job than Oculus. Maybe their spacewarp implementation is better, and that is the root cause.

That said, I don't think my framerate is dropping, so maybe space warp has nothing to do with it.

Is there any way to show framerate in-game while you play?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Showing the console window makes no difference for me, but setting the Mobile ASW setting in the debug tool to 'Enabled - Framerate Insurance' seem to help a bit. But VD feels like the best for it overall at the moment.

As some other people have said on those linked threads, it kind of feels a bit like a tracking issue to me.

chippy fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 28, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/DemeoGame/status/1530535870528380929

Good.

(but also, silly it wasn't an option from the start, just put a menu where every player click on which character(s) to control)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

That'll get my wife and I playing a lot again. Right now we can only win through double ranger summons spam.