Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

the still do, and they still don’t. which is fine whatever but that def hasn’t changed unless they are 100% locked into the Apple ecosystem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i wonder now that we have the cure for bein fat how thats gonna intersect w stuff

hi what

infernal machines posted:

literally no one has ever got this reference when i've used it.

i need better clients

this and “the egg” are probably my two favorite pieces of short fiction

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper

Sweevo posted:

people giving hard drives bad reviews because they didn't understand formatted vs unformatted capacity or the 1000 vs 1024 thing.

"SCAM! THIS 40GB DRIVE ONLY HAS 36GB SPACE DO NOT BUY!!!!"

i mean it is a scam. it just uses what you expect, vs what they can legally put in the fine print.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

semaglutide is the first drug in a minute that seems to actually work.

'cured obesity' is a little bit of a stretch, but i know several people personally who have had success so far with tolerable side effects.

too bad it's expensive and doesn't go generic until '31.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Doom Mathematic posted:

EXCUSE ME this is called "serverless" now and it's actually extremely cool. :mad:

lol what the gently caress is this my comrade there’s always a server even just to serve the HTML and CSS and JavaScript and poo poo to the client

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sweevo posted:

people giving hard drives bad reviews because they didn't understand formatted vs unformatted capacity or the 1000 vs 1024 thing.

"SCAM! THIS 40GB DRIVE ONLY HAS 36GB SPACE DO NOT BUY!!!!"

yeah this sure sounds like a people problem alright

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

eschaton posted:

lol what the gently caress is this my comrade there’s always a server even just to serve the HTML and CSS and JavaScript and poo poo to the client

yeah but it’s not a server you have to manage ok

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

eschaton posted:

absolute dumbest argument i've heard someone seriously try to use was that serverless meant you no longer had to "write a server", as in you no longer needed to daemonize a process

...yeah.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

channel surfing

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

nudgenudgetilt posted:

channel surfing

waiting for the TV guide to roll back around to the channels you wanted

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

devmd01 posted:

waiting for the TV guide to roll back around to the channels you wanted

weather channel not running constant dumb poo poo so you could instead relax to the music it played when you had insomnia

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the news channel that was just a dude typing text and the relaxing music

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wild EEPROM posted:

the news channel that was just a dude typing text and the relaxing music

Good news, the internet has you covered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M75VLQuFPrY

mystes
May 31, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Good news, the internet has you covered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M75VLQuFPrY
Actually the internet has you even more covered:

https://battaglia.ddns.net/twc/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

removing the cable resistor plugs or whatever to get all channels

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

those faux wood jerrold cable boxes with a toggle switch per channel

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my dad getting pissed that the cable box with a remote was more expensive so he just bought two big hunks of coax cable and relocated the cable box to the side table next to his chair

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

my dad getting pissed that the cable box with a remote was more expensive so he just bought two big hunks of coax cable and relocated the cable box to the side table next to his chair

NGL that's an excellent solution.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

my dad just yelled for my sister or I to come change the channel

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jonny 290 posted:

dadstylee

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

the cable company used to charge you based on how many jacks were 'active' in the house. anyone with a brain just told them 'one' and split it themselves

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

The_Franz posted:

the cable company used to charge you based on how many jacks were 'active' in the house. anyone with a brain just told them 'one' and split it themselves

turns out this is *really* easy to gently caress up. we got a visit from the fcc/faa over my teenage cable hack job interfering with aircraft on an approach path over our house

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nudgenudgetilt posted:

turns out this is *really* easy to gently caress up. we got a visit from the fcc/faa over my teenage cable hack job interfering with aircraft on an approach path over our house

How the gently caress does your cable TV interfere with aircraft

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Volmarias posted:

are you trying to summon sagebrush back?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
theres like a half dozen channels that land in the vhf airband yeah

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Volmarias posted:

turns out aviation radio uses vhf at the same frequencies as analog cable used for channels 14/15/16. if you have lots of un-terminated cable ends in your house, you spew rf all across those frequencies (and many others)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nudgenudgetilt posted:

turns out aviation radio uses vhf at the same frequencies as analog cable used for channels 14/15/16. if you have lots of un-terminated cable ends in your house, you spew rf all across those frequencies (and many others)

Unterminated cable ends jizzing EM radiation sounds to the level that it would interfere with aircraft sounds like bullshit, but I don't know enough to refute it

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Unterminated cable ends jizzing EM radiation sounds to the level that it would interfere with aircraft sounds like bullshit, but I don't know enough to refute it

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/cable-signal-leakage

seems like it would be the cable operator instead of the fcc showing up today, but in the 90s it was an fcc enforcement van that rolled up

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

the reverse is also true. leave an unterminated coaxial cable dangling in the air and the thing acts like an antenna soaking up commercial fm/am broadcast and cellphone signals and messing up everyone’s signal on the block.

cable co’s are half decent at monitoring for this and occasionally go knocking on doors.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nudgenudgetilt posted:

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/cable-signal-leakage

seems like it would be the cable operator instead of the fcc showing up today, but in the 90s it was an fcc enforcement van that rolled up

yummycheese posted:

the reverse is also true. leave an unterminated coaxial cable dangling in the air and the thing acts like an antenna soaking up commercial fm/am broadcast and cellphone signals and messing up everyone’s signal on the block.

cable co’s are half decent at monitoring for this and occasionally go knocking on doors.

:psyduck:

Thank you for the link, I'm still having trouble accepting it since still sounds like a wood magnet or dikfur or something you would haze someone with. But, I'll accept it and apologize!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there's also a cable channel carrier at 145.25 MHz, which is a common 2 meter ham repeater freq, and we're legally allowed to force the cable co to fix leaky poo poo if anything interferes wtih our hamming

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

Yeah it emits VHF and the FAA gets pissed. but also it’s good plant maintenance because if RF is leaving your HFC network it’s also not going to perform well.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
A/S/L check everybody

13/f/cali pm me

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

bash.org

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

bastard operator from hell

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

bastard operator from hell

lmao i still have the first book of that poo poo somewhere on my shelf from a gag gift years ago.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I imagine it’s extremely late 90’s edgelord poo poo?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

so easy to use no wonder its #1

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

pepsi world

pepsi had games and chat in like 1996

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

nudgenudgetilt posted:

pepsi world

pepsi had games and chat in like 1996

there was this toll free dialup bbs for teens called BARK, early 90s. and it was free

because pepsi was bankrolling it, probably for whats up fellow kids product research