Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Jenny Agutter posted:

tab hoarders should be thwarted at every opportunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

you can change it in some obscure setting that can be locked out by gpo, so I'm stuck with this bullshit.

lol at the dumbass in IT who just locked out everything without any thought

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah i know. i just like bigger number, because surely it means better

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Sweevo posted:

tiff is what happens when you let a committee of graphic designers create a file format.

gently caress tiffs

adobe rear end format

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I only ever deal with tiff files when scanning film. how often do you guys run into it?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

yo checking in is 11 still garbage

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

it’s windows

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SO DEMANDING posted:

lol at the dumbass in IT who just locked out everything without any thought

some stuck-up CJ in technology enabled the group policy to lock out the Edge basic pw manager
since I already had passwords in it, I now have out-of-date passwords that autofill with the expired value, and can't update them (or even delete them)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

lol at the dumbass in IT

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

yes, the multi-screen and full-screen HDR support is garbage at times and the new UI is terrible

the new settings guis are okay I guess, everything else is more or less the same

WSA is neat though, but there's only so much android apps can do for you; it's fun with a touchscreen or in VR; plus you have to install magisk to get google apps and google store working

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

akadajet posted:

I only ever deal with tiff files when scanning film. how often do you guys run into it?

idk, the medical examiner loves them

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
so is it just my hardware or did ms really gently caress up bluetooth and audio w/ windows 11? my coworkers are having a lot of issues too w/ their various headphones/earbuds/etc and we don't all have the same laptops vOv

the old interface where i coudl click on volume to choose output devices also appears to be gone? wtf

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i havent gone to windows 11 cause it seems mostly bad

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

i tried it on my home pc first because all i do on it is shitpost and listen to music and it's failing on the latter so i'm going back to my mac mini lol

i'm going to put off upgrading my work laptop as long as possible

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

is there a thing where i can rent a windows vm ~in the cloud~ with excel preinstalled

I know nothing about microsoft things and so on but i need to edit a really complicated excel sheet which their web cloud excel completely chokes on (as does all other software i've tried)

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Shaggar posted:

gonna frame this quote

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows 11 is the new windows 8

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
looks like its at 20% of windows installs as of may which is way higher than i would have guessed

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Shaggar posted:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I still can’t upgrade because I don’t have tpm 2.0 :smug:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

I still can’t upgrade because I don’t have tpm 2.0 :smug:

same and i don't give a poo poo.

although didnt ms accidentally let older machines auto update to win 11 on accident or some poo poo lol? bet that was fun for some

mystes
May 31, 2006

Last Chance posted:

same and i don't give a poo poo.

although didnt ms accidentally let older machines auto update to win 11 on accident or some poo poo lol? bet that was fun for some
Gee I haven't heard that story since the ancient days of windows 10

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

it’s bad but not that bad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the icon grid start menu is the dumbest poo poo in the world. bring back the app list w/ live tiles on the side.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the live tile liker has logged on

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they're great. ios/android has bad versions called widgets that dont really work because of all the wasted space in the bad icon grid design

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

they're great. ios/android has bad versions called widgets that dont really work because of all the wasted space in the bad icon grid design
it is a bad ui and was from the beginning and the marketplace responded to it with profound indifference and I can't really think of any way it could have demonstrably failed harder

even the guy who designed it in the first place it thinks it was a mildly interesting idea that an ambitious product manager ran off with and applied far too broadly

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i like my ios widgets, seeing my top 3 tasks, next calendar events, and my latest 3 email when i unlock my phone is good and lets me just keep notifications turned off

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

it is a bad ui and was from the beginning and the marketplace responded to it with profound indifference and I can't really think of any way it could have demonstrably failed harder

even the guy who designed it in the first place it thinks it was a mildly interesting idea that an ambitious product manager ran off with and applied far too broadly

the lack of apps killed windows mobile. live tiles were still superior mobile ui. remember that when live tiles existed, you still had 50 pages of random icons on ios. it wasnt until later that they copied windows and let you have 1 page of apps you cared about and a list of apps if you swiped over where the pages of random icons used to be.

they still hosed it up in not scrolling the main page vertically, but its still better than the old ios design. now they've added a bad version of live tiles in the form of widgets and they're adding a bad version of the windows mobile glance screen to the lock screen.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

i like my ios widgets, seeing my top 3 tasks, next calendar events, and my latest 3 email when i unlock my phone is good and lets me just keep notifications turned off

yeah live tiles are great. they're even better if you dont have a bunch of wasted whitespace around them. now imagine if, when you looked at your phone before unlocking, showed your next appointment from your calendar. and by default it was just white on black text so you can glance at it and see it in high contrast with low battery usage cause its an oled screen

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they're planning to replace the windows 10 mail/calendar app with a piece of poo poo electron outlook app and its gonna suck cause there wont be any working mail/calendar apps anymore

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

outlook calendarwidget looking good on ios:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah the outlook app sucks poo poo. in the live tile for win 10 mail it would be like a 3rd the size and would show your next appointment whenever it is, not a pointless day view.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Both desktop outlook and the web version suck in different ways so I'm sure they'll manage to make the new app even worse than both.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the windows 10 mail app isnt any form of outlook which is why its good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I can’t get windows 10 mail to work with my iCloud email

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Shaggar posted:

the icon grid start menu is the dumbest poo poo in the world. bring back the app list w/ live tiles on the side.

they're still there underneath, you can get them to display again if you use explorer patcher I posted earlier