Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hakkesshu posted:

I’m not defending Solo, that movie is a piece of poo poo too. But saying it’s the best movie since Empire is just stupid, since no matter how much you dislike Ewoks or whatever, the confrontation scene between Luke and Vader in ROTJ alone has way more going on on an emotional, cinematic, and thematical level than anything in Rogue One. But oh man it has Vader being a badass at the end, VERY COOL

Rogue One is better than Return of the Jedi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

precision posted:

False!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

kiimo posted:

:lol: the trailer thread never ceases to cause arguments over opinions

Listen the internet is never gonna stop arguing about Star Wars so might as well embrace it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

from my point of view, you're false!!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

precision posted:

from my point of view, you're false!!

Return of the Jedi is an odd duck of a movie, to the point where I'm actually inclined to believe the rumors that George Lucas ghost directed parts of it (calm down, I mean the good parts). Some parts are just horribly directed and shot. Like, it feels as if the second unit director, who wasn't very good, was given main scene stuff and wasn't up to the task. But then there's the Throne Room scenes, which is maybe the best stuff the series has ever done. And I'm including the direction.

I find it hard to rank the Star Wars movies mainly because I don't know where to put ROTJ.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 27, 2022

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

thrawn527 posted:

Return of the Jedi is an odd duck of a movie, to the point where I'm actually inclined to believe the rumors that George Lucas ghost directed parts of it (calm down, I mean the good parts). Some parts are just horribly directed and shot. Like, it feels as if the second unit director, who wasn't very good, was given main scene stuff and wasn't up to the task. But then there's the Throne Room scenes, which is maybe the best stuff the series has ever done. And I'm including the direction.

It's such a step down from Empire if you watch them back to back. Even just the basic way they shoot Darth Vader's suit looks so much worse.

And I guarantee if it came out today the prologue that reveals a second death star for the first time would me memed to death like the Indiana Jones fridge thing.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

And I guarantee if it came out today the prologue that reveals a second death star for the first time would me memed to death like the Indiana Jones fridge thing.

"Somehow, the Death Star returned."

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I find it hard to rank the Star Wars movies mainly because I don't know where to put ROTJ.

See I have to disagree with you because basically there are two really good parts of Jedi, Jabba's Palace and the throne room (Yoda dying is pretty good too). But then George Lucas got his hands on it and completely hosed up Jabba's Palace and removed any sense of danger or foreboding with his comedy bullshit so it makes me believe he is incapable of creating that atmosphere.

The throne room scene is excellent. Then he had to take out the Ewok song because he couldn't leave well enough alone. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Jedi was a pretty good movie and then he managed to gently caress it all up and bury the originals.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

precision posted:

Here's the correct order to rank them

1: Empire
2: Last Jedi
3: Rogue One
4: A New Hope, Force Awakens, it's basically the same movie
5: Jedi
6 to whatever: A bunch of them

Rise of Skywalker doesn't qualify.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KB2xignE6c

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

edogawa rando posted:

yeah i actually agree 100% in fact

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

edogawa rando posted:

Star Wars provides such an infinitely vast canvas for horrible takes but I think we’ve come to the edge of it here. Nothing can compare to this.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Collateral posted:

Is this part of the WoT EU?

not much wot's up with eu?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

this is the funniest poo poo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

edogawa rando posted:

A good and proper list. I'd personally swap TLJ over Empire for my own reasons, but I acknowledge that Empire is the superior film.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

edogawa rando posted:

Perfect ranking, no notes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm the weird one who can't help rank ANH 1st. ESB is great but the Dagobah stuff drags. Don't @ me. (This isn't Twitter so you really can't.)

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Lobok posted:

I'm the weird one who can't help rank ANH 1st. ESB is great but the Dagobah stuff drags. Don't @ me. (This isn't Twitter so you really can't.)

Same here. For me it is that ESB just has too much C3PO, his schtick is funny in small doses but they lean super hard on it the entire movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This may be a really divisive and controversial take, but I like ESB a lot

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I kind of wish Star Wars had never had any sequels and it was just a criterion disc filled with interviews talking about all of George Lucas’ weird ideas.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Y'all ever watch Jason of Star Command? It's a fascinating look into what would happen if further Star Wars entries were never redefined by ESB and just kept doing more of the same. It stars a pacifist Han Solo going on fun, incredibly 70s space adventures.

Season 1 is cute but barely a show. Season 2, however, rules hard and has its super campy Darth Vader knockoff played by Sid Haig hamming it up and having a total blast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPm7RJ0STVA

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lobok posted:

@Lobok we needed every scene in order to make the Best Internet Video In History So Far so whatever it took was worth it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kiimo posted:

@Lobok we needed every scene in order to make the Best Internet Video In History So Far so whatever it took was worth it.

Oh yeah, the Dagobah stuff might drag but I still love OG Muppet Yoda.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That DICK! posted:

this is the funniest poo poo

The ranking or that they’re the same. Because force awakens was very much the same film.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The ranking or that they’re the same. Because force awakens was very much the same film.

A lovely cover song and a great original aren’t equal things just because the lyrics are the same

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I'd have the Ewoks movie at 4 personally.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

My Star Wars film rankings:

1: all(tie) - the films were produced on reels containing approximately the same number of atoms

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jewmanji posted:

A lovely cover song and a great original aren’t equal things just because the lyrics are the same

but in this case it's "a decent cover song of a pretty good original"

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

precision posted:

but in this case it's "a decent cover song of a pretty good original"

This kind of thing blows my mind. Disney is strip-mining every last vein of pop culture and people are just clapping their hands like walruses because of the pew pew and the vwhoom vwhoom.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Can't wait to learn who did Hallelujah.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jewmanji posted:

This kind of thing blows my mind. Disney is strip-mining every last vein of pop culture and people are just clapping their hands like walruses because of the pew pew and the vwhoom vwhoom.

i think you misunderstand me. i'm not saying Force Awakens was so good, i'm saying A New Hope is a lot more mediocre than childhood nostalgia informs me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

precision posted:

i think you misunderstand me. i'm not saying Force Awakens was so good, i'm saying A New Hope is a lot more mediocre than childhood nostalgia informs me

Gross

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i would probably still hold A New Hope in much higher regard if i had never seen American Graffiti or THX-1138, both of which are vastly superior to it

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
TFA is reliant on being a remake/cover. Taken on it's own, large parts of its narrative barely make sense, but its easily to overlook that if you're familiar enough with ANH to fill in the missing gaps.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Schwarzwald posted:

TFA is reliant on being a remake/cover. Taken on it's own, large parts of its narrative barely make sense, but its easily to overlook that if you're familiar enough with ANH to fill in the missing gaps.

Empire and Jedi would also barely make sense taken on their own so :confused:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The score alone should be enough to propel ANH over TFA. What the gently caress is wrong with all of you?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The movie that brought us Darth Vader and the movie that brought us Maz Kanata. Essentially the same

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RLlCg-LFKI

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chieves posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with all of you?

unchecked capitalism, mostly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

precision posted:

Lmao