Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What is this?

Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer is a point and click adventure game set during the French Wars of Religion. We play as Geoffroi Le Brun, who has arrived in the town of Rouen one night in 1562 to join a company of musketeers. This is a classic adventure game very reminiscent of the style and humour of Monkey Island and Simon The Sorcerer. But it does have its issues with repeating dialogue, pixel hunting and inventory bugs.

LP Details

This is going to be a VLP and I'll be recording commentary live as I play through the game. I'm going to aim to do at least one video a week, there won't be a strict schedule as a lot depends on my work rota and childcare.

Let's Play - Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Because you didn’t say it, I will.

All for one, and one for all!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Not to be confused with Albert the fifth Muskateer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHLJDs9jAvk

Once again another adventure game I have never heard of. Not very impressed by most of the voice acting, it sounds like they only had three people in at the studio or something.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is the fencing a custcene or are you actually required to do something with it? Suddenly I'm having horrible flashbacks to the fistfights in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I saw this game come up in the adventure games thread and remembered seeing the box art when I was a kid, but never played it myself and never knew anything more about it. The art looks good in a very Monkey Island 2 way.
Looking forward to seeing it secondhand.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Captain Hygiene posted:

The art looks good in a very Monkey Island 2 way.
Someone in the adventure thread already noted some obvious "inspirations" from MI2 and Fate of Atlantis.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

anilEhilated posted:

Is the fencing a custcene or are you actually required to do something with it? Suddenly I'm having horrible flashbacks to the fistfights in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis...

The fencing was part of the cutscene, we don't get to do anything elaborate with it.

One of the issues of this game, as we witnessed in this video, is that the dialogue has a habit of repeating itself sometimes. I didn't mean to select the same lines of dialogue with Henri, that was down to my own incompetence. I've tried to record a video for this game for about three days now but this is the first time I've managed it without a coughing fit. I've witnessed these conversations so many times over the past few days I tuned it out a little and didn't realise until too late.

I've also had an issue with a conversation choice ending the conversation itself then replaying in full when talking to the character again.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

for some reason, I thought it was pronounced like "huge knots" until now.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

for some reason, I thought it was pronounced like "huge knots" until now.

I'm surprised with the pronunciation considering that they can't seem to spell Huguenots.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It's the morning after and Geoffroi is still alive and ready to explore the town of Rouen in the daytime. This video has a lot more content and dialogue as everyone is awake as we explore the town again. I did worry a little about exploring the town so much at night with everything being closed but I'd rather be thorough and show off as much as this game as I can.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Geoffroi and Henri meet the gang, find a way into Juliette's bedroom and then go on a road trip.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Maybe it’s the lingering stench of Ace Ventura, but I’m actually enjoying this!

It’s reminding me of The Gene Machine (which in fairness I’ve not played in close to 20 years)…

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Zaroff posted:

Maybe it’s the lingering stench of Ace Ventura, but I’m actually enjoying this!

It’s reminding me of The Gene Machine (which in fairness I’ve not played in close to 20 years)…

There have been some genuinely enjoyable moments in this game, there's been a couple of times that have made me laugh out loud.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I see Dark Souls was inspired by this game, at least the lead-up to Gwynevere.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Geoffroi and Henri visit St Quentin to follow up on de Peuple's request. The melon puzzle almost broke me during the recording, it took fourteen attempts in this session but I had also attempted a recording earlier on that I gave up on after six attempts. I loaded a save file from my test playthrough to bypass the whole thing but it was out of sequence with this playthrough so I had to abandon it. I tested the puzzle out several times yesterday and the attempts ranged from one to five times.

I've done some reading and it seems like the problem is down to playing the game on a system with a fast processor. I'm playing this game using ScummVM but I was originally going to play this using PCem, which I might use for testing this out with a slow processor on Windows 98.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I've done some reading and it seems like the problem is down to playing the game on a system with a fast processor. I'm playing this game using ScummVM

I believe the only reliable way to avoid this bug in ScummVM is to use the fast mode via the keybinds described here.

Also just chiming in that despite being objectively a pretty bad adventure game, this was one of my favourites growing up so I'm happy to see an LP of it finally. I think unlike a lot of the other adventure games of the time it's pretty self-contained in some ways, so there's not so many references to other unrelated things that you might not get, other than british humour and french history. And for the time it both looks surprisingly good and surprisingly bad in action.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Red Mike posted:

I believe the only reliable way to avoid this bug in ScummVM is to use the fast mode via the keybinds described here.

Also just chiming in that despite being objectively a pretty bad adventure game, this was one of my favourites growing up so I'm happy to see an LP of it finally. I think unlike a lot of the other adventure games of the time it's pretty self-contained in some ways, so there's not so many references to other unrelated things that you might not get, other than british humour and french history. And for the time it both looks surprisingly good and surprisingly bad in action.

Thank you for the advice, I didn't even know that was an option until you told me.

I've found it really enjoyable so far, does it get worse? It is buggy, but it's not too bad once you get around its quirky mechanics. This is my first time playing the game and I've not seen any further than what I've uploaded so far.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just finished a test playthrough for the next update. This is my first time playing the game and I just wanted to say that despite some of the frustrations that I've expressed, this is a surprisingly good game. The writing has been really good and the puns have been superb, especially some of the character names.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Is anything else done with Alexandre Dumas, or is he just there to write the poetry? I’m surprised there’s been no attempt to give him any dialogue indicating he’s writing a book about musketeers…

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Alexandre Dumas was an amazingly interesting character IRL and I hope they do more with him than this.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Zaroff posted:

Is anything else done with Alexandre Dumas, or is he just there to write the poetry? I’m surprised there’s been no attempt to give him any dialogue indicating he’s writing a book about musketeers…

As far as I can tell: No, we do have to return to St Quentin for a later puzzle but it doesn't involve Dumas

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

I've found it really enjoyable so far, does it get worse? It is buggy, but it's not too bad once you get around its quirky mechanics. This is my first time playing the game and I've not seen any further than what I've uploaded so far.

I don't think I ever actually finished it, but only because there's at least one dead-end scenario I got into where I hadn't done something with an item earlier on, and some combination of flags/actions meant it wasn't allowing me to do it then. I wasn't in the mindset of keeping multiple savegames at that point, so I would have had to replay from the start. If I had to guess based on the updates so far, that point was maybe 4-5 more updates in? Up until that point I remember being genuinely entertained by the jokes/puns and even the overall story. It's not some super intellectual plot, but it's basically mildly amusing budget TV writing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

By popular demand posted:

Alexandre Dumas was an amazingly interesting character IRL and I hope they do more with him than this.

Ugly guy, tho.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

Ugly guy, tho.

Not so much in his younger days. He did let himself go when he started getting older. Much like myself.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 8, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Not so much in his younger days. He did let himself go when he started getting older. Much like myself.

Speak for yourself, I was never good looking in the first place!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Geoffroi and Henri visit Amiens to track down the killer with the blue cloak. After doing a bit of shopping and trying on some different clothes they eventually have some success, for a few minutes at least...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I had spent a long time writing out a post about a delay in the next update because the game had become softlocked but it turns out that I'm a dumbass that can't read. I've spent so long on this reply screen I felt like not posting something would be an even bigger waste of time but here I am spending time typing out and posting a none-update.

I am planning to record another update tomorrow. Tonight's practise run went way off course (edit: and by an extra half an hour) due to perceived progress issues so it's going to be a fun session.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 10, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I had spent a long time writing out a post about a delay in the next update because the game had become softlocked but it turns out that I'm a dumbass that can't read. I've spent so long on this reply screen I felt like not posting something would be an even bigger waste of time but here I am spending time typing out and posting a none-update.

I am planning to record another update tomorrow. Tonight's practise run went way off course (edit: and by an extra half an hour) due to perceived progress issues so it's going to be a fun session.

Take your time, chief, you're not OBLIGATED to upload at a regular schedule.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

Take your time, chief, you're not OBLIGATED to upload at a regular schedule.

I always schedule myself to one video a week but it never works out that way.

I've gone through the original puzzle this morning and it worked out fine. I said that we would be visiting Paris next but that's not where we need to go to advance the plot. But we need to visit Paris at some point any so I'm sticking to what I said originally. We can what needs to be done in Paris now or after the next couple of locations, I'll just be doing it sooner rather than later.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 10, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Geoffroi and Henri revisit Rouen to take care of more business and then swing by Paris to engage in some bartering with the market stall owners. I recorded this last night but couldn't publish it as Youtube was having a few issues.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Lots and lots and... ugh... lots of background chatter!

I mean, I get what they were trying for, but by God, that was pretty obnoxious - even by my standards!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I can see this as one of those 90s screensavers where it's just a cacophony of vendors and a midi version of Orpheus in the Underworld

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like how the story hinges on there being exactly one (1) man in a blue cloak and one (1) masked highwayman in the whole of France.

e: I *think* the souvenir puzzle is based on the fact that the practicing musketeers were actually hitting the shop where you bought it so it counts as a success of sorts?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 11, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

Lots and lots and... ugh... lots of background chatter!

I mean, I get what they were trying for, but by God, that was pretty obnoxious - even by my standards!

sb hermit posted:

I can see this as one of those 90s screensavers where it's just a cacophony of vendors and a midi version of Orpheus in the Underworld

I can see what they were going for but it was executed poorly, either that or they intended to make it an obnoxious clusterfuck. We are done with that part of Paris now, thankfully.

anilEhilated posted:

I like how the story hinges on there being exactly one (1) man in a blue cloak and one (1) masked highwayman in the whole of France.

e: I *think* the souvenir puzzle is based on the fact that the practicing musketeers were actually hitting the shop where you bought it so it counts as a success of sorts?

Maybe it's been a slow year for banditry?

It is indeed, it was just convenient that we had already spoken to the shopkeeper and bought the souvenir. He already gave us the hints about the musketeers using his shop as target practise. I don't know how those bullets were ricocheting to actually reach the shop in the first place apart from adventure game logic.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm still catching up with the videos, but this does seem like a remarkably well-made game and I feel like I missed out, having had no idea this existed back when I was a kid.
It's well-written, the art and voice acting is pretty well-done, there's plenty to do and look at, and the puzzle design feels halfway decent. I watched the old 1973 three musketeers film recently, and it feels like the designers were trying to capture a similar brand of comedy.

Is it just me or do some of the sprites look like they're cribbed heavily from monkey island 2 - I haven't checked but the proportions and posture look really familiar, like someone took them as a.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Geoffroi and Henri pay a visit to the Louvre and then take a trip to Le Mans to meet the local people. This video was a bit of a pain in the arse to record, some of the hitboxes in this game take some liberties and it was causing some issues and a lot of misclicks. After a few attempts trying to record this, I decided to just go ahead with it, even with a few misclicks and starting to lose my voice towards the end.

Crazy Achmed posted:

I'm still catching up with the videos, but this does seem like a remarkably well-made game and I feel like I missed out, having had no idea this existed back when I was a kid.
It's well-written, the art and voice acting is pretty well-done, there's plenty to do and look at, and the puzzle design feels halfway decent. I watched the old 1973 three musketeers film recently, and it feels like the designers were trying to capture a similar brand of comedy.

Is it just me or do some of the sprites look like they're cribbed heavily from monkey island 2 - I haven't checked but the proportions and posture look really familiar, like someone took them as a.

I only found out about this game a few weeks ago and I wish that I had heard it about sooner as it's been a pleasant surprise. I saw comparisons to Monkey Island and Simon The Sorcerer before now and recently Indiana Jones, which I can see a mix of all of them. The writing really is well done and the humour is very old-school English comedy.

I didn't realise until now that the game's writer is also a pseudonym: Susan De Nimes\Sue-de-nym. Most of the people involved in this game didn't do a whole lot else with the exceptions of Ben Daglish and Mark Estdale.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

I only found out about this game a few weeks ago and I wish that I had heard it about sooner as it's been a pleasant surprise.

You can blame that on the publisher being absorbed into Eidos Interactive basically immediately after release, but not before asking for a couple more point and click adventure games because of how well received the writing on Touche was. Funnily enough, if you follow the chain of ownership that means that most likely the IP is now owned by Square Enix.

I didn't realise until now that the game's writer is also a pseudonym: Susan De Nimes\Sue-de-nym.

I believe the history is that Graham Lilley basically co-wrote the initial story with someone he'd previously collaborated on a game with (Kingmaker), but by the time the game was actively being developed none of them were happy with the story/plot, so Ben Daglish/Sarah Bradnock collaborated to turn it into a half-decent story but neither wanted to claim credit so they came up with the pseudonym.

e: I should also say, especially considering that the entire game is basically the work of two programmers (one of whom was also primarily audio/music), and a single artist, it's mighty impressive for its time. All the moreso when you consider that it was developed for DOS and thus had super strict requirements technically.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Red Mike posted:

You can blame that on the publisher being absorbed into Eidos Interactive basically immediately after release, but not before asking for a couple more point and click adventure games because of how well received the writing on Touche was. Funnily enough, if you follow the chain of ownership that means that most likely the IP is now owned by Square Enix.

I believe the history is that Graham Lilley basically co-wrote the initial story with someone he'd previously collaborated on a game with (Kingmaker), but by the time the game was actively being developed none of them were happy with the story/plot, so Ben Daglish/Sarah Bradnock collaborated to turn it into a half-decent story but neither wanted to claim credit so they came up with the pseudonym.

e: I should also say, especially considering that the entire game is basically the work of two programmers (one of whom was also primarily audio/music), and a single artist, it's mighty impressive for its time. All the moreso when you consider that it was developed for DOS and thus had super strict requirements technically.

I was reading the credits this morning here: https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/touch-the-adventures-of-the-fifth-musketeer/credits

The writing has been pretty good so far and some of the puns have been very amusing. I was expecting to see more come out from them in the same vein but it's a shame that the company was absorbed soon after this release.

Now that you've mentioned that the game was developed for DOS I can understand some of the technical issues. The more I read about the game the more that I admire it.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
There's a site that has at least an interview with the artist and a bit more info. Although if you try to google for it normally you usually arrive at the flash version of the page which is obviously no longer useful. The main site has a set of links at the bottom about this game and other similar ones (like Legend of Kyrandia, another less well-known point and click adventure game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Red Mike posted:

There's a site that has at least an interview with the artist and a bit more info. Although if you try to google for it normally you usually arrive at the flash version of the page which is obviously no longer useful. The main site has a set of links at the bottom about this game and other similar ones (like Legend of Kyrandia, another less well-known point and click adventure game).

Thank you for the link. It was very interesting to read more about the game, especially the interview with Teoman Irmak. It's a shame that they didn't make more adventure games.

The Kyrandia series is another series from my youth that I remember with equal parts fondness and frustration. I think someone LP'd all three games a few years ago.