Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

just use aol keyword ‘cum’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Armitag3 posted:

are you trying to summon sagebrush back?

huh where'd they go?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I imagine it’s extremely late 90’s edgelord poo poo?

https://www.theregister.com/offbeat/bofh/

fiction of the stereotypical computer admin who thinks he is smarter than the users

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I imagine it’s extremely late 90’s edgelord poo poo?

from what i remember its just pages of "user asked me for help so i deleted their files"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i remember it being full of insane screeds of "how dare this person not implicitly know all this minutiae of how a computer works! instead of helping them do their job, i will go out of my way to obstruct and frustrate them. please clap in awe at my superior intellect."

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's a very "stuff that didn't happen" corporate IT power fantasy

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

yeah surprisingly little edgelord poo poo iirc but makes sense when contextually its contemporaries are not 00 maddox/lowtax/south park but 90s usenet folklore which has some uncomfortable stuff but not as explicitly hate crimey

it did pivot from lol lusers deleted your files pretty quickly to blackmail / embezzling / murdering your boss fanfic

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Volmarias posted:

:psyduck:

Thank you for the link, I'm still having trouble accepting it since still sounds like a wood magnet or dikfur or something you would haze someone with. But, I'll accept it and apologize!

back years ago all the cable co vans had this hacky homemade looking antenna on the front quarter panel that was used to detect rf leaks from their gear so they could find issues

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

huh where'd they go?

hasn't posted in a couple of weeks, hopefully he's camping or something.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

devmd01 posted:

waiting for the TV guide to roll back around to the channels you wanted

aaaag

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
The switchover to digital television broadcast. The date was pushed back several times and it felt like the government put in far more effort into PR and messaging for it than they ever did for, like, Covid vaccinations. Plus all the free converter give-aways. Got to make sure no-one from the silent generation or their decades old CRT is left behind!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pulcinella posted:

The switchover to digital television broadcast. The date was pushed back several times and it felt like the government put in far more effort into PR and messaging for it than they ever did for, like, Covid vaccinations. Plus all the free converter give-aways. Got to make sure no-one from the silent generation or their decades old CRT is left behind!

Always
Be
Chasing technological innovations that allow you to migrate television broadcasts into another, smaller frequency set, netting $20B minus $2B for the converters and public signage etc

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i am shocked at how insanely low quality 'HD' broadcast tv still is, the 5 seconds a year i accidentally flip to it. it's like 720p at an insanely small bitrate with massive compression artefacts. i have clients with video ads embedded on the website, they would be blasting me all day if their ads looked as bad as broadcast 'HD' tv does

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

chaosbreather posted:

i am shocked at how insanely low quality 'HD' broadcast tv still is, the 5 seconds a year i accidentally flip to it. it's like 720p at an insanely small bitrate with massive compression artefacts. i have clients with video ads embedded on the website, they would be blasting me all day if their ads looked as bad as broadcast 'HD' tv does

because the previous owner's builders somehow managed to disconnect the aerial and idk where the thing actually is (or if it even exists despite there being about 100 sockets wired up for it around the place, some of which have 4 separate coax cables chilling out behind them) I switched to satellite which was at least connected (except where they cut the cable that goes to one side of the house :rolleyes:) and oh my god it gets proper HD channels now holy poo poo

children's tv in proper resolution is :pcgaming:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

chaosbreather posted:

but by compressing the gently caress out of the signal, you can cram in a dozen content-free subchannels!

hopefully things get better with atsc 3.0, but not gonna hold my breath

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

some incredibly dumb motherfucker coming up with "kibibytes" and "mibibytes" or whatever, and of course wikipedia loving it because its poo poo.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

devmd01 posted:

waiting for the TV guide to roll back around to the channels you wanted

I had fully repressed this goddamn.

Watching infomercials Saturday morning waiting for cartoons to come on. I think this has directly contributed to how I have reorganized my life to avoid commercials as much as possible.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

some incredibly dumb motherfucker coming up with "kibibytes" and "mibibytes" or whatever, and of course wikipedia loving it because its poo poo.

kibblebytes is what I feed my cat, bithc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yobispos

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

kibblebytes is what I feed my cat, bithc

you're a monster hth and youre cat hatse you

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Weird rear end byte sizes in different computer architectures in the past, unnecessarily weird poo poo like 9 bit bytes. What the gently caress

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

ebdic

mystes
May 31, 2006

how rude

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Endian-ness disagreement. Sorry can't open that file all the numbers are actually backwards

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

3D Megadoodoo posted:

you're a monster hth and youre cat hatse you

I said it for the joke, my cats eat wet food because I do not hate them.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

kind of even worse that your cats hate you despite these floundering attempts to please them though

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Volmarias posted:

Endian-ness disagreement. Sorry can't open that file all the numbers are actually backwards

people thinking the solution is to support both and make everyone jump through conversion hoops instead of only half of them (tiff, unicode, etc)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

kind of even worse that your cats hate you despite these floundering attempts to please them though

all cats hate everyone

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nargle loves me so much, except for when i pick her up from when she lays directly in front of the front door and refuses to get up until i pick her up then she screams at me with her grandma chainsaw mrr

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

poodle jones eats dry dog food and whatever else he can find or steal

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

well, don't do it again

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

all cats hate everyone

my sister's cat hates everyone else (apart from my sister and her husband) but loves me because i'm cool

e: actually it's more it runs away from everyone else

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

my sister's cat hates everyone else (apart from my sister and her husband) but loves me because i'm cool

e: actually it's more it runs away from everyone else

my late cat louis was the most loving attention whore of a cat i've ever see. had a bunch of goons over to my place for a party and he was in love with everyone.

everyone except Uppity Catamite (no clue what his username is now). louis kept going straight for the guy trying to bite and attack him. only time i'd ever seen the little dude get aggressive

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

in the 90s tv news shows would do stories about computers and the internet and the CRTs had some kind of interference with the tv cameras, causing rolling bars to appear on the screens. a more civilized age. the timestamp shows what i mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8TQ75dRalE&t=53s

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's because cameras don't have persistence of vision the way human eyes do, op

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

look, with your special eyes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

in the 90s tv news shows would do stories about computers and the internet and the CRTs had some kind of interference with the tv cameras, causing rolling bars to appear on the screens. a more civilized age. the timestamp shows what i mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8TQ75dRalE&t=53s

refresh rate of the crt and frame rate of the camera; if the refresh rate isn't an exact multiple of the frame rate you get the bars. there's a reason every tv show and movie went to lcds as soon as they were available.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats what genlock stuff in like Video Toasters was for, too. it'd slave the sync signal to one of the incoming sources so you could overlay multiple sources and not get the crawling/tearing

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJKV7fTJRIc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I just remembered "The Scene"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWQUGggaLZs

lol