Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Achmed Jones posted:

lifting weights does not burn an appreciable amount of calories

yeah it’s basically useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

look at all those top tier powerlifters. all they do is lift weights and the their fat as hell

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

look at all those top tier powerlifters. all they do is lift weights and the their fat as hell
You realize that weightlifters have to spend tons of time specifically cutting to reduce their weight right?

It's not like having all that muscle magically makes them have low body fat

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Achmed Jones posted:

The added muscle increases the amount you burn.

mystes
May 31, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

The added muscle increases the amount you burn.
it's extremely negligible though

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

bottom right is hbag

mystes
May 31, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

bottom right is hbag
Sure if the other three images were fat nerds in their 30s-40s

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mystes posted:

it's extremely negligible though

It is very significant if you keep maintaining the muscle mass. It adds up.

mystes
May 31, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

It is very significant if you keep maintaining the muscle mass. It adds up.
If you spent all the time for weight lifting to build and maintain the muscle mass on intense cardio you would burn insanely more total calories.

Like I'm not saying lifting weights isn't good it's just that burning extra calories is not really a good a good reason.

It isn't a myth since it's real, but the effect just isn't significant enough to be worth thinking about.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 30, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mystes posted:

If you spent all the time for weight lifting to build and maintain the muscle mass on intense cardio you would burn insanely more total calories.

Like I'm not saying lifting weights isn't good it's just that burning extra calories is not really a good a good reason

No, I'd gently caress up my body by overstraining it.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

lifting weights is fun and cardio isn’t, so it seems like a good recommendation to me

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
before covid shifted us all remote i'd run home from work. that was 7km every night and it was really nice after the first couple weeks getting used to it. my biggest problem with cardio is that it's boring unless you have a reason to do it, lifting weights is easier because it's not as monotonous.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

need to figure out the right amount of squats to do today that will leave me still able to walk tomorrow because i got work

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
@swolewoman is a good Instagram follow

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Optimizing theoretical gains by min/maxing attention to differentials in activity.

If you want MAX GAINS yeah, there's a route for that, but lmao don't follow the path to madness just lift a weight or run or do literally anything it is way better than doing nothing.

I'm gonna go stroll around a grave yard today and call that physical training.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im going to do some squats and then spend the rest of my day on The 'Puter because i have a problem

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

hbag posted:

ok but what if i want to move the fat elsewhere

there’s surgeries for this to an extent, look up contouring. but generally you just need to lose a bunch of weight, kill all your testosterone and replace it with estrogen, then start putting weight back on. the alternative is to wait for a long time to get your body to redistribute it all itself, which does happen eventually.

14 years of estrogen and I do not have a male fat pattern at all

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

this just isn’t true

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Pollyanna posted:

there’s surgeries for this to an extent, look up contouring. but generally you just need to lose a bunch of weight, kill all your testosterone and replace it with estrogen, then start putting weight back on. the alternative is to wait for a long time to get your body to redistribute it all itself, which does happen eventually.

14 years of estrogen and I do not have a male fat pattern at all

ok but what if i dont want boobs

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

akadajet posted:

this just isn’t true

are you trying to "well actually" about people who spend hours a day in the gym, instead of the actual context of the discussion, which is someone who has never lifted at all?

oh you are, that's cool

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Squats are good. I still do the sit squat I learned in Korea whenever I smoke cigs where there isn't a chair. Keeps my legs strong and ready for 3 hour sitting sessions.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

are you trying to "well actually" about people who spend hours a day in the gym, instead of the actual context of the discussion, which is someone who has never lifted at all?

oh you are, that's cool

no I’m saying you’re a moron and lifting weights will burn calories and help you achieve a calorie deficit without having to starve yourself

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ok dude have fun with that

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hbag posted:

they have surgeries for this

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

ok dude have fun with that

I am. thank you

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I walk an hour each day, too. feels good

mystes
May 31, 2006

akadajet posted:

no I’m saying you’re a moron and lifting weights will burn calories and help you achieve a calorie deficit without having to starve yourself
This seems to be a fairly common idea, but ignoring the actual number of additional calories people are really going to be burning every day from normal amounts of weight lifting, it really only makes sense if the caloric level at which you "starve yourself" (or feel like you're "starving yourself") is independent of your BMR (including the calories you burn from the muscle), and I don't know if it actually works like that anyway?

Fundamentally if you're a person who tends to eat a caloric surplus, regardless of your activity level, you're probably going to have to eat at a level that leaves you feeling slightly hungry if you want to lose weight.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 30, 2022

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
having a lol at ppl seeking fitness advice from yospos instead of ylls

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Lmao

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

mystes posted:

Sure if the other three images were fat nerds in their 30s-40s

turn ur monitor on

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i earn over $9000 american dollars an hour and spend 13 hours a day pumping pittsburgh iron. I could crush hbags n00b head betwixt my forearms or thighs

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Roosevelt posted:

I could crush hbags n00b head betwixt my forearms or thighs

oh yeah? prove it!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i used to do a lot of cardio every day and spent a lot of time in the gym and i was still fat so i guess working out is a land of contrasts

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

hbag posted:

lol poo poo did I confuse you with someone else

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag just needs to melt that cheese properly, hard cheese is very fatty but liquids are good for you

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I was doing squats at the gym last week and the guy next to me was doing overhead lifts with the same weight

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Fool posted:

I was doing squats at the gym last week and the guy next to me was doing overhead lifts with the same weight

I got my overhead press up to 135 and felt like a beat

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Pollyanna posted:

lol poo poo did I confuse you with someone else

i mean im nonbinary (i think????) but idk if i want boobs

idk shits frustrating i don't like thinking about it

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Stringent posted:

having a lol at ppl seeking fitness advice from yospos instead of ylls

lol yea idk why i asked here