Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

If you say Feb 29th you get an extra two years :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You know that's a good point. February 29 it is.

(No but seriously March 31)

tomapot posted:

This March 31st? (Sorry couldn’t resist, it’s been a hell of a ride)

Yes. I would be insulted, but I absolutely never claimed to be a good project manager. My abilities on that front fall somewhere between "Big Dig" and "Tally Ho is two years from completely restored"*.

* Leo, if you're reading this, I'm only about two hours south of you and wanna see your 4 year (and counting) two year long project sometime. It seems kind of like my 12 year (and counting) one year project...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I really want to go visit the boat too, but I assume he's mostly only got time for people who are showing up to do a few month's work, at least these days. Maybe once it's launched?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've actually debated volunteering for helping with the wiring, though I've not done marine wiring before.

Over the last few weeks I've not gotten anywhere near as much done as I wanted to, but picking up speed.

I got the baseboards done in the dining room.

I got rid of a bunch of poo poo.

I finished mudding the office, primed it, and painted it, though haven't taken good pics yet.

Also primed its closet but haven't painted it yet.

poo poo is coming down to the wire. To no one's surprise I'm pretty sure I'm not going to hit that self imposed deadline, but hopefully it'll be close. We're probably a few days from having the kitchen, living room, and last bedroom mudded and ready for primer and paint.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

So close!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Jesus loving Christ our Lord in Heaven I hate mudding so much.

Mud rules all around me

For the last approximately forever I have been mudding, coming back and realizing I missed spots, repeat ad infinitum.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

Jesus loving Christ our Lord in Heaven I hate mudding so much.

Mud rules all around me

For the last approximately forever I have been mudding, coming back and realizing I missed spots, repeat ad infinitum.

I think I warned you before... mudding never ends. Godspeed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It ended in the office, but as soon as I put the track lighting up I realized I ended it far too soon. This is not helping my judgment on whether it's done in the kitchen and living room right now, I keep second guessing myself.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Every time it's the same thing. Mudding and sanding over and over touching up every spot repeatedly after inspecting every square inch with a flashlight from multiple angles until the wall is glass smooth. Then you prime it and suddenly it looks like the surface of the moon. Then you fix all of that and paint and it's still hosed. It's no wonder most builders texture the walls.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Galler posted:

Every time it's the same thing. Mudding and sanding over and over touching up every spot repeatedly after inspecting every square inch with a flashlight from multiple angles until the wall is glass smooth. Then you prime it and suddenly it looks like the surface of the moon. Then you fix all of that and paint and it's still hosed. It's no wonder most builders texture the walls.

It's this, and it's maddening. The only way I see a fully flat wall happen is to skim coat the entire thing and then get something fancy like the Festool drywall sander and surface the entire wall.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

meatpimp posted:

It's this, and it's maddening. The only way I see a fully flat wall happen is to skim coat the entire thing and then get something fancy like the Festool drywall sander and surface the entire wall.

A decent plasterer will give you a perfectly serviceable smooth wall without much if any sanding, not sure how common they are in the US though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

A decent plasterer will give you a perfectly serviceable smooth wall without much if any sanding, not sure how common they are in the US though.

When you see people post/talk about textured walls they are not in the northeast. West coast in particular has nobody who knows how to finish a wall properly. Half the placed I see out there you can see the tape lines THROUGH the popcorn bullshit on the ceilings.

Only the shittiest of cheap rear end places around here have texture anywhere.

So, depending on where you are you absolutely can find plenty of people who know how to drywall and even plaster/skim coat.

Reno drywallers are increasingly using a "no sand" method that probably takes years and years to learn, but basically ends up with a very watered down final coat that can be wet sponge wiped smooth so you don't end up with a house full of plaster dust.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The real answer is paint it all and sell the house, none of the buyers will give 2 shits.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That's pretty much what I'm doing. Once I've sanded and decided it's good enough, that's it, it's good enough. If the primer goes on and a bunch of stuff shows now too loving bad unless it's really egregious. Like you said, most people never notice, my in-laws just spent insane money on a PNW place that is textured literally everywhere to hide how bad the tapers were and I can still see the nail pops and hackjob taping on the cathedral ceiling FROM 18 FEET DOWN. They don't notice, they don't care. My parents didn't notice the poo poo I noticed as a kid in their place, and this is already a million times nicer than the cracked sagging horsehair plaster it replaced. If the next people want it nicer they can go the extra mile, patch the tiny imperfections, and repaint the patched areas. I'm over it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

When you see people post/talk about textured walls they are not in the northeast. West coast in particular has nobody who knows how to finish a wall properly. Half the placed I see out there you can see the tape lines THROUGH the popcorn bullshit on the ceilings.

Only the shittiest of cheap rear end places around here have texture anywhere.

So, depending on where you are you absolutely can find plenty of people who know how to drywall and even plaster/skim coat.

Reno drywallers are increasingly using a "no sand" method that probably takes years and years to learn, but basically ends up with a very watered down final coat that can be wet sponge wiped smooth so you don't end up with a house full of plaster dust.

The only downside I've found to having a long tradition of plastering trades is that they seem to judge their place in the hierarchy on how smooth they can get the final product to be, with "marble" or "glassy" being the pinnacle of the trade. Which is good in principle but I've found it can lead to walls so smooth that the paint doesn't have much to key onto and becomes more likely to lift off via painters' tape etc, so I wind up having to sand it anyway. But at least they're flat.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That's silly, they are confusing surface flatness and surface finish. A rookie machinists mistake. Amateurs.

(Say this to see if they pop a gasket)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kastein posted:

That's silly, they are confusing surface flatness and surface finish. A rookie machinists mistake. Amateurs.

(Say this to see if they pop a gasket)

I guarantee the response would be "huh?".

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Jesus Murphy Christ, this took way too long. Living room is now painted, finished last night. I suck at finish work.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Looks great! What's left on the list?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Insert obligatory "You are protected" and "did you insulate under those stairs?" here.
(Nice work!)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kastein posted:

Well this is pretty loving rad, we have a place to crap again and it doesn't even involve walking to the gas station

I have that same layout and that same glacier bay vanity top (my vanity is too low so I wanted a top that was higher than normal), only thing I don't like about having the vanity in the corner is all the overhang is on one end so it looks a bit weird (49" top on 48" vanity for me). But I think having the top be 48" would look weird as well.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kastein posted:

I suck at finish work.

:(:hf::(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Thanks guys.

I put all the new cover plates on in the living room and labeled the blank ones so the next owner will know wtf I intended them for. They can use them or not, not my problem, but I figured it's more likely to get used if it's labeled to give people ideas.

Note to self, check box to box clearance including covers next time. This was very nearly a problem.

This bucket of mud was brand new Wednesday morning... And I've got another in line for when I finish this one, probably Saturday since I need to let the last two coats dry a while.

daslog posted:

Looks great! What's left on the list?
Stuff. Absolute bare minimum, finish mudding 2 more rooms, paint them, floor them, railing in stairwell, finish electrical service upgrade, do some trim, insulate basement ceiling.

I hope to have the last two rooms ready for sanding and painting in a few days, I'm moving right along on that now.

I'd like to do a lot more but that's looking unlikely.

actionjackson posted:

I have that same layout and that same glacier bay vanity top (my vanity is too low so I wanted a top that was higher than normal), only thing I don't like about having the vanity in the corner is all the overhang is on one end so it looks a bit weird (49" top on 48" vanity for me). But I think having the top be 48" would look weird as well.

Yeah I wasn't sure how to put it and ended up just putting it that way. The vanity is kind of ratty at this point anyways and I'm betting the next owner will have different style ideas anyways. (That's why I did the tile all the way into the corner, so they can just pick this one up and put the new one in its place without being mad about redoing flooring.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Jesus loving Christ. Sanding never ends. I'm going to be sanding this drat kitchen until I am old and gray. Or young and gray as the case may be, seeing as my dust collection system ain't so great.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kastein posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Sanding never ends. I'm going to be sanding this drat kitchen until I am old and gray. Or young and gray as the case may be, seeing as my dust collection system ain't so great.

It may be too late to suggest this, but if you're using an orbital sander then I exclusively switched to abranet / autonet pads because the mesh nature of them prevents clogging and makes dust collection more effective.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I wish I'd not bought like a 50 pack of regular paper discs. But luckily I am not really having plugging issues there, my shopvac is just plugging the filter up with dust every hour so I have to wash it back out. I think I'm gonna turn one of the many extra 5 gallon pails I now own (so much paint, mud, primer, and flooring adhesive...) Into a water filter for it to get most of the dust out before it gets to the vacuum itself. But on the other hand I'm only two rooms from done so I can't decide if it's worth the time.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Have you tried a vacuum bag? I recently found out those exist for shop vacs and are supposed to handle dust better. I got a couple for mine but haven't started mudding yet so I don't know how well it works

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Galler posted:

Have you tried a vacuum bag? I recently found out those exist for shop vacs and are supposed to handle dust better. I got a couple for mine but haven't started mudding yet so I don't know how well it works

If you've never used a bag in a shop vac for dusty stuff prepare to have your mind blown the first time you're picking up drywall dust.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

If you've never used a bag in a shop vac for dusty stuff prepare to have your mind blown the first time you're picking up drywall dust.

+1

Sucks everything up until it's full, no clogs. Uh, wear a mask and goggles when opening. Don't open it near flammable vapors. So much static electricity. Then again I sucked out the fine ash from our fireplace with it. It's amazing how little makes it past with a hepa kit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I discovered these things while researching how to get the popcorn off the ceiling:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Q3FTTVD/?coliid=I3IC3EMIV7PCRU&colid=UKNOI4DL3HCW&psc=1

This is just a cheap Chinese on - the actual video I watched they used a Festool with a powerpack that sits on the floor and provides power and vacuum. Dude said that he could strip the ceiling in a 1600 sq. ft. house by himself in less than a day. It's actually made for wall sanding, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1DZ44UV11M

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I probably will do such a thing when I buy a nice new shopvac in Washington but at the moment I'm using a 20 year old beater one I got free when my aunt moved that I'm not bringing with me. Don't really want to spend any more on it than I have to.

To no one's surprise I found tons of areas that still need work when I attempted to do my "final" sanding last weekend so I am still working on the kitchen.

Speaking of the kitchen I've been dreading finishing the drywall around the bay window literally since I installed the bay window. But I had to face it sometime, so I did:
First I put the furring strips up that spaced the ceiling framing down enough that the drywall will match up nicely with the window surround trim. Not pictured because I forgot to take a pic. Then I carefully cut drywall to fit perfectly and got lucky because not only did it fit on the first try, I was actually able to finagle it into place despite having already put up all the drywall below it.

You'll note I hosed up last year and cut the drywall over the window too high so the furring strip is visible where the corner bead will cover it. Oh well, nothing I can do about that now, I installed it sticking out as far as the drywall front surface so the corner bead will nail down nicely and then mudded over it.

I did use a piece of tape to bridge from the corner bead to the drywall after packing all the crevices under it with mud, so it should be just as strong. Just annoys me that I hosed up even though no one will ever notice.

Few more layers of finish mud over all of this and it'll be ready for sanding and paint.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You should take that old-rear end Shop-Vac with you, because I bought a new one and it grenaded itself within a week.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's a piece of poo poo and doesn't suck worth a drat even compared to my heavily abused Ridgid that I finally killed a few months ago. I'm not taking this thing anywhere.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

It's a piece of poo poo and doesn't suck worth a drat even compared to my heavily abused Ridgid that I finally killed a few months ago. I'm not taking this thing anywhere.

but you are! to the dump :v:

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Darchangel posted:

I discovered these things while researching how to get the popcorn off the ceiling:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Q3FTTVD/?coliid=I3IC3EMIV7PCRU&colid=UKNOI4DL3HCW&psc=1

This is just a cheap Chinese on - the actual video I watched they used a Festool with a powerpack that sits on the floor and provides power and vacuum. Dude said that he could strip the ceiling in a 1600 sq. ft. house by himself in less than a day. It's actually made for wall sanding, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1DZ44UV11M

That looks like it'd be a poor choice for dust collection since drywall will eject itself from the disc via centrifugal force as it sands. Wen has a faithful knockoff to the Planex. How does this perform versus biting the bullet with a Planex that pops up on FestoolRecon every now and then?

I'm in the same boat, need to remove popcorn before renovating any rooms but I'll be damned if I am looking forward to spraying and manually scraping each room or taping and dealing with dust.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I generally recommend a 4 foot wrecking bar for removing popcorn

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

UCS Hellmaker posted:

but you are! to the dump :v:

The proper PO move is to leave it in the corner of the basement for the new owners to find when they move in.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Honestly I'll probably either do that or leave it at the hangar for my friends to use. It's better than nothing, it's just not worth the space it would take to drag it 3000 miles. The volume it would take up in a shipping pod would cost roughly 50 dollars at the moment, and it's probably not worth 5.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

kastein posted:

My man. Do you also represent the aggrieved as a defendant in divorce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

nem posted:

That looks like it'd be a poor choice for dust collection since drywall will eject itself from the disc via centrifugal force as it sands. Wen has a faithful knockoff to the Planex. How does this perform versus biting the bullet with a Planex that pops up on FestoolRecon every now and then?

I'm in the same boat, need to remove popcorn before renovating any rooms but I'll be damned if I am looking forward to spraying and manually scraping each room or taping and dealing with dust.

I saw the Wen recently, and would be more inclined to buy that over generic Chinesium. The sanding discs have holes in them for vacuum to extract a dust. A little will escape, but a *lot* less than without, apparently.
Also, as the dude point out in the video, the water and scraping method does not work if the ceiling has been painted multiple times.

kastein posted:

Also the entire interior of your house, it would seem.

edit: when all you have is a hammer....