Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Smirr posted:

When was the last TTT at a GT, full stop? I remember the farcical and neutralized stage 1 one at the Vuelta in ~2015, but they've been pretty sparse lately, haven't they?

2019 tdf i think lotto-jumbo-visma won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

2023 tour is 100% going to have a long TTT to counter pogacar.

I think a short one would make for a nice prologue. Not too many big gaps and it looks cool for the fans plus not too long and it can be in a city center

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Grand Depart in the UK, every stage is a TT on a notable 25 miler

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pogacar is one of the only ways to stop Ineos from loving up the Tour so I support him

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Latest TTT in the Tour in the past 15 years was 2015 where they had one on day 9, sadly all that notably happened on GC was Froome put 30s into Contador to take the deficit just over 1 minute. Cue 2 weeks of the Sky train.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I think 2015 was also the Tour where Froome accused Hinault of doping and got piss thrown on him. Ah, memories

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
As long as Pogacar wins the Tour by going on insane attacks and murdering everyone instead of training it up and being a smug British bastard to the media, he can win all the Tours and take all the dope he wants imo.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

HappyCamperGL posted:

uci rules are you can only have a ttt in the first third of the race iirc. so latest is end of the first week.

Counterpoint: uci can eat my entire rear end

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

As long as Pogacar wins the Tour by going on insane attacks and murdering everyone instead of training it up and being a smug British bastard to the media, he can win all the Tours and take all the dope he wants imo.

Hard same

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Feels Villeneuve posted:

not an emptyquote

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

HappyCamperGL posted:

2019 tdf i think lotto-jumbo-visma won

The 2019 Vuelta had one that threatened to make things interesting when Jumbo crashed but it was also something ridiculous like 5km

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

just remembered that ttt at tirreno-adriatico where team sky's wheels exploded. lol.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Was that the same one Sagan had to dodge a spectator or bunnyhop a dog or something? There was one recently too where one rider wiped out into a crowd at the side of the road.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
a team time trial in the rain is actually the ultimate test, imho

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Source your UCI memo leaks.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I legitimately haven't heard of Jai Hindley before, maybe I need to watch this sport again, is it good again?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/WestemeyerSusan/status/1531275517986496513?t=K-fihyhrnwmaKfAQWqX8yg&s=19

This would loving rule

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
extremely curious how that would work

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That's so loving dumb that they have to do it. Also this had better be a random-rear end game against Getafe or something of that nature

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Stage has a tail wind and they roll through the stadium 30 minutes ahead of fastest predicted time.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It will be right at the start of the stage because yeah if not, good luck timing that right.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Cyclo-cross section on the pitch, close ups of the groundsman crying as MvDP carves a giant rut on the halfway line.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Vando posted:

It will be right at the start of the stage because yeah if not, good luck timing that right.

They could have it on an insanely short circuit doing laps for a few hours so they could all divert to the stadium when needed. It would be terrible.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

kimbo305 posted:

They could have it on an insanely short circuit doing laps for a few hours so they could all divert to the stadium when needed. It would be terrible.

Better hope the breakaway won't get more than a 15 minute gap!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

African AIDS cum posted:

I legitimately haven't heard of Jai Hindley before, maybe I need to watch this sport again, is it good again?

It's OK but the giro was pretty bad. Like half the favorites DNFed and Hindley/Carapaz more or less stared at each other instead of attacking for most of the final week.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah for all the criticism of pogs domination at last year's tour at least he drop kicks the other GC contenders from the top rope regardless of how far ahead he is. Giro was mostly staring at each other.

I just desperately want a pog/Rog/bernal 3 week contest where they are all in their prime.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It would have been better if Bardet hadn't gotten Not Covid and Yates hadn't frauded it up in week 1 imo.

Also I hope Demare goes to another team so FDJ sends a GC team to the Giro again

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Catching up on the Tour of Norway and :lol:

Maybe we can get a tarp big enough to cover the USA and paint a mural of a functioning society on it?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

What might be cool but also cruel would be a long TT or TTT, like 65km long. Actually what I'd really like is if they'd bring back that race, the Trofeo Baracchi which is a two rider TTT over about 100km. That might be really interesting.

Both please.
Finally a grand tour where someone over 70kg can have a chance. For too long the sport has been dominated by mountain twinks with pathetic W/cda.

Also some stages that start up a mountain and have near zero ascending.

Pog will still win.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

wooger posted:

Both please.
Finally a grand tour where someone over 70kg can have a chance. For too long the sport has been dominated by mountain twinks with pathetic W/cda.

Also some stages that start up a mountain and have near zero ascending.

Pog will still win.

10 of the last 16 grand tours have been won by Froome (two Olympic TT bronzes, a Worlds TT bronze), Thomas (Olympic TT 9th, Worlds TT 4th), Roglic (Olympic 10th and Gold, World Champs 6th), Big Tom (an absolute shitload of TT stuff) and Pogacar (Worlds 10th, but also beat Roglic to the national TT jersey). The twinks are fast on a TT bike too.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

10 of the last 16 grand tours have been won by Froome (two Olympic TT bronzes, a Worlds TT bronze), Thomas (Olympic TT 9th, Worlds TT 4th), Roglic (Olympic 10th and Gold, World Champs 6th), Big Tom (an absolute shitload of TT stuff) and Pogacar (Worlds 10th, but also beat Roglic to the national TT jersey). The twinks are fast on a TT bike too.

All drug cheats

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Welcome back Tom

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
slovene sauce legal

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that reminds me that no random Italian conti rider got tossed from the Giro for taking something that's been testable since like 2004 like CERA or some poo poo, is it even a Giro without that

we didn't even have a random Italian guy doing a Sella/Rasmussen impersonation (Covi doesn't count)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

All drug cheats

Do you want to see guys doing 6.7w/kg up a hill or not.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that reminds me that no random Italian conti rider got tossed from the Giro for taking something that's been testable since like 2004 like CERA or some poo poo, is it even a Giro without that

we didn't even have a random Italian guy doing a Sella/Rasmussen impersonation (Covi doesn't count)

We did however get the ludicrous Portuguese team arrest for balance.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Do you want to see guys doing 6.7w/kg up a hill or not.

I actually love the slovenes

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Toon Aerts b sample came back hot as well but he’s been quiet about it

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Toon Aerts b sample came back hot as well but he’s been quiet about it

The Belgies are getting caught now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Vando posted:

It's probably too late to rent bikes anywhere within a 50 mile radius at this point, it's only 6 weeks out.

Yeah, that's looking like the best option. We might call some places over there and see what's up. I wouldn't mind a 5am start, but my partner isn't as into cycling as I am, so probably not gonna happen.