Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's been eight years since the last album and the first two parts of this series are already out in French, at least. Odds are good they completed most if not all the work before publishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've gotta read that, had the first couple Blacksad books on the shelf forever. Looks awesome.

Any other fav recent European comics? I've checked out that site Pipeline Comics and gotten some recommendations from there too, lotta solid looking comics. The Campbells, Ken Games, and Ekho are a few I've got on the list there.

It's also interesting to see US comics getting made in that format to be marketed there too, like Adventureman and Reckless. I dig it.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 3, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

At the moment I'm reading Thorgahl, which just like Blacksad recently started a new story arc.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
It's new Friday day, which is always exciting.

Has anyone else checked out Ghost Cage? It's written and drawn by Nick Dragotta and it's a fun/weird manga-inspired sci-fi book with environmental themes. Three issues, wrapping up next month.

Lemire and Nguyen's Little Monsters is off to a good start.

Manifest Destiny is finally winding down, hopefully without any major delays in the last two issues.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Caught up with Saga.

That was kinda a slow issue huh?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Caught up with Saga.

That was kinda a slow issue huh?

I wouldn't say that.

Alana has full blown Freelancer-face levels of burnt out.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MadJackal posted:

I wouldn't say that.

Nah, the one before this one.

I appreciate the balls on BKV though. His first arc back after a lengthy hiatus being a ironic story that constantly subverts the audience's expectation that everything will go horribly wrong. Everyone is basically chill, if sometimes weird and offputting, and the characters part relatively amicably.

I'm digging it.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I'm trying to move away from American comics and see what lies elsewhere e.g. Europe and UK.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any lesser known UK/European comics and links where I can find/purchase them?
Anyone heard of the publisher Markosia? That seems to be one of the ones that crops up on google searches, do they have any comics people recommend?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I'm trying to move away from American comics and see what lies elsewhere e.g. Europe and UK.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any lesser known UK/European comics and links where I can find/purchase them?

UK comics tend not to be single story books like the American comics. Rebellion Publishing owns all the IPC back catalogue plus a lot of the other UK comics and reprints the stories in trades. You'll be familiar with Judge Dredd, I expect, but they also have complete sets of many other strips including some from Eagle and Scream. Strontium Dog, Sláine, The Ballad of Halo Jones, Nemesis the Warlock, Rogue Trooper, Nikolai Dante, Zenith, Ace Trucking Co., Ro-Busters/ABC Warriors, Third World War, Invasion, The VCs and The Thirteenth Floor are all worth a look. I think there's also a collected edition of The House of Dolmann, but I'm not sure.

Outside of IPC the big pickup is The Trigan Empire, an SF story about an alien faux-Roman empire which ran in educational magazine Look and Learn from the 1960s into the early 80s. As far as story goes it's dated badly - very Boy's Own adventure stuff and a bit repetitive after a while - but the artwork is absolutely gorgeous, all fully painted. The legendary Don Lawrence did most of it up to 1976, which is considered to be the classic era of the strip.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Anyone heard of the publisher Markosia? That seems to be one of the ones that crops up on google searches, do they have any comics people recommend?

Izneo loving rules. If you can read French it's even better, but their english subscription service is also good. They have all the classics (Lucky Luke, Spirou, Thorgal, etc.) and lots of new stuff too.

Pipeline comics does lots of reviews of BD and is well worth taking a look at for specific recommendations.

Honestly the problem with a broad recommendation is that it's like someone asking for "american comics" - it's a medium, so specific recommendations would really only be valuable if you know what kind of genre or feeling you're going for. Broadly - there's a lot more family and slice of life oriented stuff in BD, probably more sci-fi, definitely more real life style spy thrillers.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Thanks heaps for the recommendations guys.
Admittedly it was a very broad question but I was mostly wondering about any essential comics recommendations in the same way that there'd be a go to list if anyone asked for recommended comic publishers/essential comics from Vertigo/Image etc.

I have plenty of comics to get through now, thanks heaps!

ainda_
Oct 9, 2021

We Are All Us
We will heal the world.
Hey y'all I just got my copy of Stray by Molly Mendoza in the mail and then promptly read, loved, and lost (lol,) it and I decided I wanted to just buy everything else by her that's gotten a physical release and I was wondering if anybody knew were I could look for a copy of The Worst? I can't find any online :(

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

ainda_ posted:

Hey y'all I just got my copy of Stray by Molly Mendoza in the mail and then promptly read, loved, and lost (lol,) it and I decided I wanted to just buy everything else by her that's gotten a physical release and I was wondering if anybody knew were I could look for a copy of The Worst? I can't find any online :(

I found a used copy on Alibris:

https://www.alibris.com/booksearch.detail?invid=16850832218

ainda_
Oct 9, 2021

We Are All Us
We will heal the world.
tysm!!

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I don't know if there is a dedicated Walking Dead thread several pages deep, it feels like the sort of thing that would have existed at one point, but Clementine Book One by Tillie Walden was really good. I think that already being invested in the title character via the Telltale games certainly adds to the experience but for the most part it still works even if you're new to the character.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Lots of interesting stuff in the past couple weeks!

Golden Rage seems like Golden Girls meets Battle Royale, which could be fun...oh hey that description is right in the promotion.

quote:

In a world where older women who’ve been deemed useless to society are abandoned on an island, GOLDEN RAGE documents their golden years of making friends, baking dessert, and fighting to the death. Created by writer CHRISSY WILLIAMS (editor of DIE, THE WICKED + THE DIVINE), artist LAUREN KNIGHT (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), and colorist SOFIE DODGSON (BITTER ROOT, Tank Girl), this is the FIRST ISSUE of a brand-new five-issue miniseries where Battle Royale meets The Golden Girls.

Sacrament is sort of Exorcist meets Alien and I dig that.

quote:

Sacrament is a dark thriller set in outer space that examines the vulnerability of faith in a technologically-driven world, the usual metaphysical and theological themes that (Peter) Milligan is known to pick mercilessly at.

Vineyard seems promising too.

quote:

AfterShock Comics have announced “The Vineyard,” a horror series by writer Brian Hawkins (“Black Cotton”), and artist Sami Kivelä (“Undone by Blood,” “Abbott”), alongside colorist Jason Wordie, and letterer Taylor Esposito. The book follows the Vines family, who maintain a flourishing winery by making four annual sacrifices (murders) to the god Dionysus.

Mignola's Frankenstein: New World is an interesting follow up to his earlier Frankenstein Underground, with ties to the end of BPRD and Hellboy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Sacrament is sort of Exorcist meets Alien and I dig that.

This already exists in movie form. It's called Event Horizon.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

MadJackal posted:

I wouldn't say that.

Lmao ya know he's right

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Trying to get back into monthly comics instead of just reading old TPBs. What are some good titles I can sink my teeth into?

The stuff I've liked the most so far:

Barbaric
Above Snakes
The Kill Lock
Heart Eyes
Shaolin Cowboy
The Silver Coin

I guess sort of that actiony neon style is appealing?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Do A Powerbomb. Only three issues in so far.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The good news: Part 1 of Blacksad: They All Fall Down is now out in English.

The bad news: Boom are charging nine loving bucks for Magic: Ajani Goldmane #1.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Once and Future was great this month, as usual, and it's wrapping up next issue. Excited to see how it ends!

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

What is the deal with this Bad Idea stuff I just want to read some of the comics why is it so complicated

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Good question.

I just heard Usagi Yojimbo is going back to Dark Horse, and Stan and co. have their own imprint now. Also, Dark Horse is owned by the Embracer Group now as opposed to the previous group that bought it earlier. Comics.

IDW is seemingly having a downturn. I haven't heard much of what's going on there behind the scenes.

Also, I read Saga #1! Promising start.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 13, 2022

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

McGurk posted:

Trying to get back into monthly comics instead of just reading old TPBs. What are some good titles I can sink my teeth into?

Barbaric
Above Snakes
The Kill Lock
Heart Eyes
Shaolin Cowboy
The Silver Coin

Blood Stained Teeth, if you like it very neon.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

McGurk posted:

Barbaric
Above Snakes
The Kill Lock
Heart Eyes
Shaolin Cowboy
The Silver Coin

https://twitter.com/AlexPaknadel/status/1570501778004938752

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

McGurk posted:

Barbaric
Above Snakes
The Kill Lock
Heart Eyes
Shaolin Cowboy
The Silver Coin

Check out Blood Stained Teeth. Five issues out so far

And yeah, definitely second Do A Powerbomb

radlum
May 13, 2013
How is Seven to Eternity?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Meh. I found it difficult to follow all the characters. Maybe that’ll be easier if you read it all at once, but I felt like I was reading a super hero book from the middle that I never read before. “Who’s this character and what’s their powers?” Plus the story is another one of Reminders’ “old man says gently caress you I won’t do what you tell me”.

Art was great and the main villain was very interesting (and most fleshed out), but I’ve never wanted to reread it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Does anyone else here read Radiant Black? drat yesterday's issue was fantastic.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Enjoyed volume 1 of Radiant Black, admired the art more than the story in volume 2, sticking around for volume 3 and the spinoffs.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

X-O posted:

Does anyone else here read Radiant Black? drat yesterday's issue was fantastic.

Definitely one of the better timeline gimmicks I've seen. I hope the CYOA issue of Rogue Sun keeps it up.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I've discovered a few indies recently that have really blew my mind. Specifically Eight Billion Genies, Killadelphia, Babyteeth, Blood Stained Teeth, and because of this thread Do A Powerbomb. I suspect that I'm basically catching up with indie essentials, so while I'm on a roll of discovering great new stuff, am I missing any titles that would fit into the general feel of the above? It looks like I'm really focused on Image stuff I guess?

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Have you tried Something is Killing the Children/House of Slaughter?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Asgerd posted:

Have you tried Something is Killing the Children/House of Slaughter?

I did try Something is Killing the Children and enjoyed it. Thanks for House of Slaughter recommendation!

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Or for other Image stuff, That Texas Blood is loving excellent. The finest role Sam Elliott never played.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Check out I Hate This Place

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Check out gently caress This Place

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Ducks: Two Years in the Oil Sands by Kate Beaton is really good. It's a memoir about her time working at tar sands plants in Canada and what it was like to be one of few women on the job. It does deal with a lot of explicit misogyny and harassment so it might not be for everyone but if you're a fan of her previous work, it's a massive step forward in terms of narrative and cartooning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

I did try Something is Killing the Children and enjoyed it. Thanks for House of Slaughter recommendation!

Check out Department of Truth on Image and Nice House on the Lake on DC Black Label by the same writer.