Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I've heard that the main cost overhead of USB-C isn't in the connectors, but in the cables, as the terminations still need to be hand-assembled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The world will be on USB-C and Juniper and Cisco will still be putting Micro USB console ports on their boxes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

The world will be on USB-C and Juniper and Cisco will still be putting Micro USB console ports on their boxes

It’s worse than that. They still use mini usb

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s worse than that. They still use mini usb

Are you calling mini USB worse than micro?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

From a “ancient tech on your new network gear” perspective, yes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

how about usb-c but it only speaks serial

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Jokes on us, in the year 2025 the only way to configure a switch will be from some cloud based orchestration tool.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Are ther any new phones with micro-usb sold now? My Note9 was USB-C, but so was my mom's Redmi 7 or whatever which was anything but high-end a few years back when we got it.

TCL, Redmi, Nokia and shovelware on Amazon off the top of my head. Think less than 125€ per device rather than 300€+ .

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

I've heard that the main cost overhead of USB-C isn't in the connectors, but in the cables, as the terminations still need to be hand-assembled
Thankfull you can just not include any cables with your device to "save the environment"

SlowBloke posted:

TCL, Redmi, Nokia and shovelware on Amazon off the top of my head. Think less than 125€ per device rather than 300€+ .

drat you're right, I just checked half a dozen smartphones sorted by price and 100% of the 125€ phones are still micro-usb. poo poo like Doogee X93, Aligator whatever, Nokia or Redmis are all still micro. Fascinating.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

repiv posted:

That's a cost cutting choice, not a technology limitation

https://www.cablecutting.net/Automatic-USB-Type-C-Cable-Soldering-Machine.html

Machine-based termination is possible, just more expensive that handing skilled workers a soldering iron and having them go to town

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

It's one of those things that show exactly how much companies care about the tiniest costs.
You hear people say stuff like, idk, "it would probably cost Gigabyte a few cents to fit better fans, making it so much better. Surely it makes sense to do it"
lol

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Nah, people don’t understand the scale of the economies involved, sure it’s only 1c extra but that adds up to a lot when you’re making a thousand a day.

And costs from the factory to the shelf add on exponentially as the middlemen add on % markups not just a fixed amount so the 1c extra to make at the factory can turn into a $1 more on the shelf which makes it more expensive than the one next to it, and being a commodity product where 99%of people don’t give a poo poo what the brand is or anything, they just want a USB-C cable, they’ll grab the cheapest one so that extra $1 retail price over the competitor on the shelf next to it means a massive impact to the number of sales.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of USB-C, here's an article on USB-C debugging which touches on power delivery and compliance for it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

But op, all USB is packetized so it's great for networking gear!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gently caress yeah weird case review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igSsW79iy-4

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Speaking of USB-C, here's an article on USB-C debugging which touches on power delivery and compliance for it.

But op, all USB is packetized so it's great for networking gear!

As sort of implied by this, I don't think the cost is so much associated with the port hardware as it is the overall implementation. So either you spend a bunch of money on hardware design, implementation, and debugging, or you wind up with a device that doesn't work with all chargers, etc. It seems to be comparatively much simpler to implement USB 2, so if USB 2 provides all the capabilities your device needs and you're not going to sell a large volume of them as a premium product, generally either you go micro-USB or you go partially broken USB-C.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

njsykora posted:

gently caress yeah weird case review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igSsW79iy-4

This thing performs shockingly well. Too bad about it looking and feeling like a cheap toy once it's assembled.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
steve being a kind soul as always

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgyAmsCSXWo

i generally hate it when "influencers" do nice things because it's so insincere, but you know steve's legit nice like this

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It helps that he's not buying stuff for that, he's just effectively using stuff he already has lying around the office. He even opens the video saying yo we needed to figure out what to do with these prebuilts that are cluttering up the office.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Guess which techtuber included this image in a recent video:

Yes, it's The 8-Bit Guy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All of that stuff goes up his butt

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mr.Radar posted:

Guess which techtuber included this image in a recent video:

Yes, it's The 8-Bit Guy.

That clip art gun is a Winchester 1873 rifle with shotgun shells. He isn't even a gun nut, he's a loser who just likes to scare people in public by open carrying.

(I'm not a gun nut, I just know it because it's in cowboy games, but if some rando who plays video games can look at that and say "hey now wait a minute" then 8-bit guy is definitely a poser and will get cannibalized by raiders in the post-apocalypse when he's shocked having a gun slung over his back doesn't scare them)

edit: I, on the other hand, will sit in a funny pose and record an audio log for someone to find

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 3, 2022

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

That clip art gun is a Winchester 1873 rifle with shotgun shells. He isn't even a gun nut, he's a loser who just likes to scare people in public by open carrying.

(I'm not a gun nut, I just know it because it's in cowboy games, but if some rando who plays video games can look at that and say "hey now wait a minute" then 8-bit guy is definitely a poser and will get cannibalized by raiders in the post-apocalypse when he's shocked having a gun slung over his back doesn't scare them)

edit: I, on the other hand, will sit in a funny pose and record an audio log for someone to find

:dafuq:

...should he have put clip art of an AR-15 in there instead? Nothing you said is wrong, it just seems... weird.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
The gun doesn’t match the bullets, showing he knows as much about guns as the paper clips he uses on retro computers

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

namlosh posted:

The gun doesn’t match the bullets, showing he knows as much about guns as the paper clips he uses on retro computers

Again, it's still a bizarre rear end thing to twig on when, as you mentioned, he's the guy who shorted a unique power supply with a paperclip. People routinely do worse pairings in their work and school power points.

"Lol this dude didn't search for .308 clip art what a poser."

He's a dork because he made this dumbass prepper slide thinking he's hot poo poo, not because he half-assed the clip art.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Isnt he so much of a poser that it ended up being an air soft rifle he was open carrying in that subway?

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

buffbus posted:

Isnt he so much of a poser that it ended up being an air soft rifle he was open carrying in that subway?

Wait, what? Lmao

Edit: is there a term for gun incel ?

pofcorn fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 3, 2022

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
New Wan Show has Linus venting on how he got shafted on the lab building purchase. Previous owners stripped the place bare including safety railings that made the building up to whatever code they were looking for etc. It feels like every WAN show now there's a new drama for Linus to vent about whether self caused or not. Was it always like this? I don't watch regularly but I skim the topics every so often and the general tone just feels like it has chanced. I guess spending your (business') millions is stressful

pofcorn posted:

sure why not, although I guess it's flaky in the sense that guns aren't a "condition" like not having your jaw be a perfect cube but that hasn't stopped them before

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!

Jeff Fatwood posted:

New Wan Show has Linus venting on how he got shafted on the lab building purchase. Previous owners stripped the place bare including safety railings that made the building up to whatever code they were looking for etc. It feels like every WAN show now there's a new drama for Linus to vent about whether self caused or not. Was it always like this? I don't watch regularly but I skim the topics every so often and the general tone just feels like it has chanced. I guess spending your (business') millions is stressful

Honestly it has been quite a bit more venting ever since the Nvidia youtube shenanigans, but most if not all of the venting has been pretty much justifiable any way you look at it.

And his latest rant feels completely reasonable. Wouldn't you be annoyed if they took all of the windows and doors and locks right before you moved in?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TearsOfPirates posted:

Honestly it has been quite a bit more venting ever since the Nvidia youtube shenanigans, but most if not all of the venting has been pretty much justifiable any way you look at it.

And his latest rant feels completely reasonable. Wouldn't you be annoyed if they took all of the windows and doors and locks right before you moved in?

If the previous owner didn't include the safety equipment in the sale contract, that's on Linus not reading the fine print. Commercial sales contracts usually include just the building and little else.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

TearsOfPirates posted:

Oh, it's completely fine to vent, I don't care. Just a direction that I felt the show has been going towards.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

SlowBloke posted:

If the previous owner didn't include the safety equipment in the sale contract, that's on Linus not reading the fine print. Commercial sales contracts usually include just the building and little else.

Yeah but what's "the building"? Perhaps Linus could reasonably assume the building includes things like railings. He should probably take it to a lawyer before talking about it publicly though...

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Sounds 100% Linus to just assume something rather than get it solidified in the sale contract.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
score another one for the power couple managing everything lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I thought his wife was this hard rear end negotiator? Since she’s also HR it seems like she should make sure people won’t get hurt in the building.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

linus is 100% the guy who is too smart to listen to advice or pay someone for something he could do himself. he knows what he is doing, ok?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

pofcorn posted:

Wait, what? Lmao

Guncel and I'm not kidding

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

All of that stuff goes up his butt

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They can just make a video where they fix the building in a wacky and sometimes dangerous style.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Rudager posted:

Sounds 100% Linus to just assume something rather than get it solidified in the sale contract.

This is something your legal team would catch at any sane company. From experience working with the one at mine, they tend to ask really specific questions out of left field about things you assumed, because it is their job to make sure whatever you are saying is the tightest in can possibly be from a "can this be used against us?" standpoint.

Good lawyers are actually pretty cool IMO. I've learned a lot just listening to the GC and AGC's comments on things I submit to them.