Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

echinopsis posted:

he just had a cardiac arrest and passed away 😓

honestly the support and warmth everyone here has shown has been incredible and really, I appreciate it from bottom of my heart. love to you all

i'm so sorry <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
sounds like he went pretty fast without a lot of pain and frankly that's the most any of us can hope for. Rest in peace, echis dad.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

echinopsis posted:

honestly the support and warmth everyone here has shown has been incredible and really, I appreciate it from bottom of my heart. love to you all

im sorry to hear this

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
sorry echi.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

well, been there.

rotor posted:

sounds like he went pretty fast without a lot of pain and frankly that's the most any of us can hope for. Rest in peace, echis dad.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i think you're going to be ok echi. hug your boys. how you play the next couple weeks is up to you and there's no wrong ways to go about it as long as you hug your boys

matti
Mar 31, 2019

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 〜 do your best echi

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

echinopsis posted:

So sorry.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

poo poo echi, sorry to hear it

hug those boys

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

echinopsis posted:

it's a complicated thing with my dad. don't mind the ramble

from some angles, my dad was someone to be proud of. he was the first cop in all of nz to have a beard, broke the rules until they changed them.

he was an undercover drug cop in the 70s. thankfully didn't end up addicted to heroin like a lot of his contemporaries. he tells a story once of busting a kid for lsd at a led zepplin concert. wow way to ruin a persons night.

and he then became a detective in what they called the indecency squad. thats the absolute rear end end of humanity there, he would tell stories of locking up dudes who had raped infants, that kind of absolute horror poo poo. there's some solace to be taken in that he's fuckin stuck it to the worst pieces of poo poo in our society.

so he's seen the worst of the worst. motor vehicle accidents, suicides. I don't actually have much of an idea about it tbh because surprisingly he doesn't talk about it much. for some reason, some dude who has the same name as my brother, had shot himself in the head with a shotgun, and my dad ended up with that gun. idk why he wanted it, kinda weird if you ask me.

and my understanding is that they didn't offer much counselling back in the day, he said he had a single session with someone to try to work through all that poo poo

and so he's emotionally utterly broken. can barely show anything that isn't grumpiness or anger

and he's awful to my mother. he's left her 5 times for other women, and then just moved back in without really discussing it. idk what to think about my mother just condoning it. he never does anything around the house, and when you start to talk about something he doesn't like, he'll audible moan over and over from the other room. as in, not when you're talking to him, when I'm talking to my mum and he doesn't like what he's hearing as he eavesdrops

anyone who spends much time with me irl will eventually hear from me how much I really don't like my father. he's OK to me, and I think i'm "the apple of his eye", but I wouldn't really know, as he's never said anything like he's proud of me or anything. he does lament how he never forced me to play rugby. but it's the awful way he treats my mother that makes me feel so much disdain.

he's a poo poo grandparent. my son said he doesn't feel much about him dying, because he had no emotional connection, which is disappointing considering my kids go to my parents after school each day. he just sits and watches youtube with headphones on, or criticises their hair cuts, or gets grumpy over where they've left their shoes etc, or asks fukin weird questions that they don't know how to respond to.

he was kinda ok when we were young. supported our hobbies. he was awful with money, but that meant I had an amiga :smugmrgw: lol
but he was quite focused on his own life. fishing and motorcycling came first. if he had spare time, he'd primarily prioritise those things. in fact his only parenting advice to me was to make sure to find a hobby to get myself out of the house

It's hard to know if I will miss him. I suppose I will, and its up to me after he passes to choose what memories to focus on. I've spoken of this day many times, because I am so tired of the negativity he brings into every room he goes near. I think my mum will miss him, well, she'll miss the company of another human. she's an extremely loving person, and I thank her rather than my father for all my best attributes

anyway. don't mind all the ramble, I hardly expect anyone to read or care, but it's good to put down how I feel I guess

this is really similar to my dad in a lot of ways.

since having kids of my own i've realized that my dad was just doing as much as he could with what he had, and the rest of the time he was just getting himself out of the way for his sake and for ours. his father was a physically abusive alcoholic, and i think he was trying to find any way he could to not reproduce that behavior. which to his credit he managed.

the important bit is that he left us better off than he was, which i don't really know how much else he could have done.

anyhow, sincere condolences, take care of yourself.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sorry to hear that dude, take care of yourself

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
sorry echi

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

sorry echi

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

fart simpson posted:

im sorry echi

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
my condolences fellow yosposter

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

so sorry to hear about your dad, Echi. take care of the kids and take care of yourself.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

big loves to you echi. and your whanau. Kia kaha ki a koe

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
condolences echi, take care of yourself and yours

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

one love echi, hope you and your family are holding up ok. don’t get hung up on how you ‘should’ feel, and be kind to yourself and others

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

really sorry to hear it. condolences mate.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Sorry echi, RIP echi's dad..

:rip:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hey echinopsis buddy, how are you doing today. just checking in

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

hey echinopsis buddy, how are you doing today. just checking in

been digging thru his hoards of poo poo, check out what this mother fucker did lol

thanks for asking, it means a lot. but I’m ok. weird times. dunno what to say, I mean, my dad was a grumpy mother fucker who made most situations worse with his presence, and so don’t know how things will feel as time goes on. we’re all glad we got a chance to say some nice things and he passed away quickly, so all things considered it’s a lot better than it could be. my kids were shocked, but not terrible upset.

I think missing him might come a bit more in the future. for now, just making the most of a few days off work and seeing my brother more than usual.

the support here has been really touching, and I am thankful to everyone who posted in support. it’s a good thing we’ve got here.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
:sadpeanut:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

not quite sure what this means lol

feel guilty as because feel like I should care more, or should be more sad or distraught, and feel guilty because works been scrambling to cover me for bereavement leave when I could kind of just do it. just don’t feel good about anything. maybe that’s to be expected.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
took me months before it even started to seem real.

just take care of yourself. if staying busy makes you feel better then stay busy, or whatever works for you.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

echinopsis posted:

feel guilty because works been scrambling to cover me for bereavement leave when I could kind of just do it.
don't be. in the long run you will never look back and regret not working through bereavement.

what you're doing instead is a different kind of work. if not on you, then for your family who will appreciate it both soon and later.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

echinopsis posted:

feel guilty as because feel like I should care more, or should be more sad or distraught, and feel guilty because works been scrambling to cover me for bereavement leave when I could kind of just do it. just don’t feel good about anything. maybe that’s to be expected.

grief is a personal thing and everyone deals with it differently. don't let anyone else tell you you're doing it wrong, and don't feel bad about feeling bad or not.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 3, 2022

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sweevo posted:

grief is a personal thing and everyone deals with it differently. don't let anyone else tell you you're doing it wrong, and don't feel bad about felling bad or not.

+1

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sweevo posted:

grief is a personal thing and everyone deals with it differently. don't let anyone else tell you you're doing it wrong, and don't feel bad about felling bad or not.

yeah this 100%

I’m sorry, echi

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sweevo posted:

+1

sorry you’re going through this, fellow goon. i nearly lost my dad to the rona. it isn’t fun. :smith:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
sorry echi, take care of yourself and the kids.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
wearing my rodtronics shirt today for echi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wow.. literally honoured 😌

I wear one most days because I ended up getting so many samples over the years, trying out designs and t-shirt stock. probably half my t-shirts at least are rodtronics ones lol

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sorry to see your father passed away echi, I hope you have great memories to remember him by.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/agoddamnhorse/status/1530886693846392833?s=21&t=Aa7mEIeQzhn5ZgWnq42slQ

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I understood that reference.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011