Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mr Scumbag posted:

Heh, so I've bought and refunded two different vampire games in two days now.

I grabbed Swansong. Started a new game (Already a better start than VRising since I was actually able to play it) and went through the intro. Seemed visually less janky than I thought it would be. Player characters voice work is pretty good, the other characters vary a lot in quality and some of the voice audio is very uneven in volume (and the distance the VA was from the mic, it sounds like) and you can tell that they were recording in multiple sessions with different EQ levels. Also the mood of the voices of some characters changes drastically between lines which is very jarring.

The game does a pretty lousy job at explaining the lore at the start. It plunges you into a bunch of inner-circle stuff without any real preamble (and with a bunch of characters to keep track of, which is bad design this early in a game with so much lore and previous worldbuilding) which will be fine for people familiar with VTM but confusing as gently caress for newbies. When I was first prompted with a character sheet I thought I was putting points into a skill but instead I was booted out of it without allocating any points. Had a decent time up until the part where you have to feed for the first time. Took a person into the room to feed and the tutorial pop-up "explained" how it worked. I wasn't quite clear on what it was saying so decided I'd wait until I got an indication of some kind. About four seconds after I clicked off the tutorial message, I abruptly stopped feeding and the game told me I killed the person and that suspicion was now higher. Well gently caress. Seriously?

I was annoyed by that and wanted a better start to the game, so went to the menu. Didn't see any save/load item, only a "Restart". I figured that would start me at the start of the scene/segment I was in because what game besides a rogue like would have a "Restart" item in the menu that restarts the entire game? That would be incredibly bad design, especially if it didn't make you aware if the entire game was about to be started fresh. Well. It completely restarted the game with no warning.

Fair enough, I thought. I'll be able to skip through everything pretty quickly anyway until I get to where I was. Yeah...

The start of the game has a bunch of text that is slow and unskippable. Then the opening cutscene starts. I hit space to skip and the "Hold Space to skip" message comes up. I hold space, then an icon with a red line pops up. I try this the whole time the cutscene is playing. It's not skippable.

Oh well, at least I can skip the dialogue, I tell myself, since I saw a configuration option for the skip dialogue button in the options. Nope. Mashing space and the dialogue is also unskippable.

So I had to ask myself if I wanted to spend another 45 minutes on the game, leaving me only 30 more minutes to play before the refund window closed. Since my experience with the game was so limited and mixed to negative, I just refunded. I have no way of knowing how much more bullshit I was going to run into and whether or not it would require another full restart to undo/remedy or if there is every any form of manual saving or loading in the game. Not worth the risk for a game this expensive. Maybe they'll do some more work on it and I can pick it up at a discount in a few months.

I just value my time and money too much to put up with frustrating poo poo like that in games.

Also, I'm pretty disappointed at the clans they chose for the playable characters. I get that it's Camarilla poo poo, but having only three clans and two of them being Ventrue and Toreador sucks. A bit more variance would have been nice.

Yeah, I had a similar situation but even further along when they basically give you a conversation boss fight without warning and you can go into it with 0 willpower (with no clear explanation on what recovers willpower other than "winning" skill rolls) and yeah, it was literally impossible to win. SO I hit Restart thinking like any other game in the last 20 loving years it would restart to the last checkpoint but nooooooope, reset the hole game and like 2.5 hours of playing.

gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Making the player hold a button to skip and then going "actually you're not allowed to skip this" is an incredible power move.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Maximum Planck posted:

It's pronounced "Timothy"

Hexenritter posted:

Lol I said it "Tss-IM-iss-ay" and I honestly prefer the way that it sounds

Tzim-iss-se

or Timothy.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Tzim-iss-se

or Timothy.

Or Timotei, like the shampoo

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

V Rising let's you move full storage crates without emptying them first.

SSSSS+++ game, flawless, no notes.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My only negative experience in V Rising was when I thought I was a big brained genius by imprisoning a werewolf during the day (when they're human). I wanted to keep beast blood on tap but alas when the worker transforms into a werewolf it's a new entity and no longer counts as imprisoned.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

My only negative experience in V Rising was when I thought I was a big brained genius by imprisoning a werewolf during the day (when they're human). I wanted to keep beast blood on tap but alas when the worker transforms into a werewolf it's a new entity and no longer counts as imprisoned.

That sounds like a bug. I would make the same choice.

From my initial experience of V Rising being pretty weak, I’ve now sunk like a dozen or two ours in and really enjoy it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If anyone is interested there’s a Mapgoons group on an EU server and we’re pretty active. The server has an increased cap on players and it’s usually almost full so there’s loads of action to go around.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Demiurge4 posted:

I didn't even know werewolves we're on the game until I turned in to a village and got my poo poo wrecked.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Fuzz posted:

Zim-eet-zee

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
my only real complaint aout v rising is no native controller support. Combat is a bit difficult using the control schemes from steam

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

VRising Devs posted:

Many players have been asking about the status of offline play, and the ability to play on a private server with absolutely no connection to the internet. Right now, the game doesn't allow for this, but it's fully our intention that it does.

We've prioritized making this available as soon as possible.

For those of you who can't play now because of this due to inconsistent internet connections or something along those lines, we apologize for the inconvenience this will cause. It's our estimation that offline play should be available some time in the next couple of days, but may be earlier.

They said, a week ago. From what I can tell, there's still no offline mode and no update from the devs explaining why it's still not in the game.

That's pretty frustrating.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mr Scumbag posted:

Heh, so I've bought and refunded two different vampire games in two days now.

I grabbed Swansong. Started a new game (Already a better start than VRising since I was actually able to play it) and went through the intro. Seemed visually less janky than I thought it would be. Player characters voice work is pretty good, the other characters vary a lot in quality and some of the voice audio is very uneven in volume (and the distance the VA was from the mic, it sounds like) and you can tell that they were recording in multiple sessions with different EQ levels. Also the mood of the voices of some characters changes drastically between lines which is very jarring.

The game does a pretty lousy job at explaining the lore at the start. It plunges you into a bunch of inner-circle stuff without any real preamble (and with a bunch of characters to keep track of, which is bad design this early in a game with so much lore and previous worldbuilding) which will be fine for people familiar with VTM but confusing as gently caress for newbies. When I was first prompted with a character sheet I thought I was putting points into a skill but instead I was booted out of it without allocating any points. Had a decent time up until the part where you have to feed for the first time. Took a person into the room to feed and the tutorial pop-up "explained" how it worked. I wasn't quite clear on what it was saying so decided I'd wait until I got an indication of some kind. About four seconds after I clicked off the tutorial message, I abruptly stopped feeding and the game told me I killed the person and that suspicion was now higher. Well gently caress. Seriously?

I was annoyed by that and wanted a better start to the game, so went to the menu. Didn't see any save/load item, only a "Restart". I figured that would start me at the start of the scene/segment I was in because what game besides a rogue like would have a "Restart" item in the menu that restarts the entire game? That would be incredibly bad design, especially if it didn't make you aware if the entire game was about to be started fresh. Well. It completely restarted the game with no warning.

Fair enough, I thought. I'll be able to skip through everything pretty quickly anyway until I get to where I was. Yeah...

The start of the game has a bunch of text that is slow and unskippable. Then the opening cutscene starts. I hit space to skip and the "Hold Space to skip" message comes up. I hold space, then an icon with a red line pops up. I try this the whole time the cutscene is playing. It's not skippable.

Oh well, at least I can skip the dialogue, I tell myself, since I saw a configuration option for the skip dialogue button in the options. Nope. Mashing space and the dialogue is also unskippable.

So I had to ask myself if I wanted to spend another 45 minutes on the game, leaving me only 30 more minutes to play before the refund window closed. Since my experience with the game was so limited and mixed to negative, I just refunded. I have no way of knowing how much more bullshit I was going to run into and whether or not it would require another full restart to undo/remedy or if there is every any form of manual saving or loading in the game. Not worth the risk for a game this expensive. Maybe they'll do some more work on it and I can pick it up at a discount in a few months.

I just value my time and money too much to put up with frustrating poo poo like that in games.

Also, I'm pretty disappointed at the clans they chose for the playable characters. I get that it's Camarilla poo poo, but having only three clans and two of them being Ventrue and Toreador sucks. A bit more variance would have been nice.

That feeding thing is a real bummer. I don't think the QTE there is designed well if inaction leads to the victim being drained. If anything, it should be a mediocre and safe success to accommodate an unskilled player.

I'm trying to come up with some "before I play" tips. If anyone has any spoiler-free, generally good advice things, I'm open to suggestions or you can add them yourself:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=862#post523695784

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I also found out why I wasn't able to skip stuff. Apparently it will only let you skip dialogue/cutscenes if you've already played through the chapter/game.

I don't even have words for how loving dumb that is.

Edit:

Mr Scumbag posted:

They said, a week ago. From what I can tell, there's still no offline mode and no update from the devs explaining why it's still not in the game.

That's pretty frustrating.

Updating this: They have just released an update that allows for offline play, but the wording in the notes makes it sound like you have to put Steam in offline mode to do it, which makes it pretty inconvenient. Can anyone who has the game clarify if this is the case?

I just want to be able to play a fully local game without having to disconnect either Steam or my VPN.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 25, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it sounds like Swansong isn't so much "eurojank" as "just poo poo"

i don't recall having any problems playing The Council, either technically or from a gaemplay perspective. sounds like the studio lost some talent or something

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

precision posted:

it sounds like Swansong isn't so much "eurojank" as "just poo poo"

i don't recall having any problems playing The Council, either technically or from a gaemplay perspective. sounds like the studio lost some talent or something

I'm not sure if it had the same case of only setting you skip sections you'd already completed because I only worked out it was possible to skip dialogue on my second run (for achievements) but The Council had chapters divided into sections and autosaved after every dialogue so if you wanted to redo anything you had to either quit and reload before the end of the conversation or restart the whole section.

So yeah, it was still pretty tedious. I think they don't want you to be save-scumming sections but in practice you still can it's just really annoying to do it.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 25, 2022

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Inzombiac posted:

What? How?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Just go into build mode and pick it up! You can't like, put it in your inventory and run across the map, but it works great for rearranging your castle.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Inzombiac posted:

So apparently there's an entirely new game world/map you can unlock in the post game or something?

Not sure if it's even in yet as I haven't gotten there, but the latest quest talks about a blood key that unlocks access to an entire new dimension to conquer or something like that.

Game is ridiculously content heavy for an EA title. Just realized dark silver and equivalent clothes aren't even end game gear and there's apparently multiple post final boss bosses hidden in the world as well.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nephthys posted:

I'm not sure if it had the same case of only setting you skip sections you'd already completed because I only worked out it was possible to skip dialogue on my second run (for achievements) but The Council had chapters divided into sections and autosaved after every dialogue so if you wanted to redo anything you had to either quit and reload before the end of the conversation or restart the whole section.

So yeah, it was still pretty tedious. I think they don't want you to be save-scumming sections but in practice you still can it's just really annoying to do it.

Swansong does the exact same thing. I've reloaded autosave because I hosed up a confrontation and just reloaded back to the start of the confrontation to try again.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Absolutely everything can be picked up and placed again at no cost in build mode.

No need to disassemble stuff to refit your castle. I personally run my game with 100% refund instead of the base 75% because it makes experimenting with designs more fun and doesn't make anything OP.

Plus, you'll soon have so much goddamn wood and stone that you can build and build and build like a crazy person.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

One time when our castle got raided the timer ran out and while I was still all red on my gear and everything was hosed, I picked up two doors from a pair of side rooms and trapped the entire enemy team in a hallway. They didn't have another golem on them so they all had to use the unstuck command, which kills them, and they escaped with none of our loot. One of our team is a legendary poo poo talker and bullied them on voice chat for 20 minutes until they gave up and used unstuck.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

drat, makes me wish I had a group to play with but my schedule is too weird.

The Steam page says offline mode is supposed to be patched in today.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Does Swansong have any kind of new game plus? Apparently The Council didn't even though this kind of game seems completely designed for it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
How would it work? You already know how to solve each episode and you have the autoskip, don't know what else they could put in.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

How would it work? You already know how to solve each episode and you have the autoskip, don't know what else they could put in.

You would have upgraded stats basically.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Makes sense I guess, but the stats don't seem to matter much. So far I've cleared the first "big" episode of each character and they seem always solvable. The stat checks give you additional background info, but for everything that matters you always have tools placed in the level. So once you know what to do you can just breeze through it anyway.

And also when you reload a level, you can allocate your exp all over again, so if there's a check you really want to pass, it's easy to put some points where you need them.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

A few minutes in Cheat Engine should allow you to re-allocate all your stats from an old game to a new character.

I've used to to "add" New Game+ to a bunch of games before.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

This game makes me want to throw my controller through a window. Was doing the first real level and accidentally clicked the point of no return because the icon to denote it at such I didn't notice because the camera is super close and your body blocks your view and the icons don't appear until you get close and now I have to redo the entire loving level. How the gently caress do you not have a confirm prompt for that. Why the gently caress can I not skip dialogue until I beat the level. Whoever designed these things please go gently caress off and learn any quality of life lessons at all.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

This game makes me want to throw my controller through a window. Was doing the first real level and accidentally clicked the point of no return because the icon to denote it at such I didn't notice because the camera is super close and your body blocks your view and the icons don't appear until you get close and now I have to redo the entire loving level. How the gently caress do you not have a confirm prompt for that. Why the gently caress can I not skip dialogue until I beat the level. Whoever designed these things please go gently caress off and learn any quality of life lessons at all.

Sometimes I forget that this thread isn't *really* about Bloodlines II anymore because it can't really be, so I read this and I was like 'wtf????' for a full second before I realized the context.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

cheesetriangles posted:

Does Swansong have any kind of new game plus? Apparently The Council didn't even though this kind of game seems completely designed for it.

I found a cheat table that lets you open the debug menu and freely allocate stats.

Be a little careful with the Prince's court, because triggers are shared between characters with the assumption that you're gated out of specific areas.

If a different character's voice starts playing for interactions, you're in danger of breaking triggers.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I've found dialogue in the prologue that's not possible to get otherwise, but I haven't played the game enough to know for sure.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Apparently even when you're able to skip dialogue in Swansong, you have to hold the space bar down to do so which is just a loving baffling choice on top of an already idiotic choice to bar you from doing so until you've already completed the game/chapter. I have to doubt whether the developers have ever played a game in their life.

It also allegedly has a habit of arbitrarily forcing you to walk rather than run in certain places, and it's sloooooooow.

I've also read that there are certain stats in the game that are almost completely useless, so that's great.

And that loving kid's voice... Jesus H Christ.

Frankly, from the little I played and what I've heard, it just sounds like a bad game. At the very least, there might be something decent there but it fights against your enjoyment at every goddamn step.

I just don't understand how game developers are still having issues with incredibly basic aspects of gameplay that have been complained about for decades and have largely been solved in many games for many years. It makes you wonder who actually playtests them, and if they are either unfamiliar with games/QOL or if the devs are just so stubborn they refuse to listen to perfectly reasonable feedback.

In the brief time I played, the best time I had was reading the backstories of the characters in the menu. I quite enjoyed reading about their human life and what lead up to their siring, and then what they got up to in the subsequent decades/centuries. There's an awful lot of France.

Either way, I'm pretty much 100% certain that the best way forward for VTM games is the Choice Of Games style CYOA games and the Shadows of New York style visual novels, though it's seeming less and less likely we'll ever see more of the latter.

I'd kind of like Telltale to take a shot at a VTM game. It'll never happen though.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Yeah, I'm nearing the end of Swansong and it's very mid. Story is decent, though the choices don't seem to have a super big impact, but maybe that'll come together in the ending somehow. But even so, I don't think there's any point in replaying.
Technically it's pretty bad - the skipping thing, uninspired gameplay, bugginess, terrible VA.

I'd say it would be worth checking out at like 60% discount (or just torrent it), as a visual novel with pretty graphics. For AAA price, not in a million years.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The kid's VA in Swansong sure is a thing to behold hear. Like nails in chalkboard

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Ok, finished Swansong and I maintain my 'very mid' ranking.

The skills and disciplines are not utilised very well. Education and Deduction exist solely to give you like a single extra lore tidbit or a hint to puzzles that are pretty easy to figure out anyway. Sometimes you can get a focus point in conversation out of it I guess. Not worth putting more than 2 points at most. I also don't think I've seen a single check with difficulty higher than 3 in the entire game.

Lockpicking and Hacking similarly are pretty useless. For important locks, there will always be a code or key obtained somewhere in the level. For locks not related to main goals, they rarely have anything interesting behind them. So those skills exist mainly to bypass the puzzles that, like I said earlier, are pretty easy anyway.

Dialogue skills are the important ones, because they allow you to win confrontations, and there are a lot of checks. So those are the only ones worth investing in.

Disciplines are very underutilised, each environmental power is used once or twice and then never again. In a few cases, if there's a puzzle requiring a specific discipline, there will be a tremere potion somewhere in the level that will give it to you for the duration of the scene in case you didn't invest enough points. The dialogue powers are a bit more useful, especially the one that makes you auto-succeed at skill checks.

There was also a dumb stealth section by the end, that I had to complete with the character that had Obfuscation 5 by that point, but I wasn't allowed to use it for some reason. C'mon.

Overall verdict: story good, the lore and all the plots and betrayals going on were pretty solid. The execution though: ehhh.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

In a few cases, if there's a puzzle requiring a specific discipline, there will be a tremere potion somewhere in the level that will give it to you for the duration of the scene in case you didn't invest enough points.

Oh, gently caress that. That kind of design is so lovely and undermines all of the systems they've built to begin with. Systems that rely on characters being creative with builds. Only to have it not really matter. It's just lazy.

It reeks of poor planning. They made the game, then realized that it would be impossible for some people to actually finish it if they chose this skills "wrongly" so they threw that poo poo in and called it a day. Or they actually designed it that way. There's no way around it, either way, it's just poo poo.

It sounds like all the skill distributions do is determine which "flavor" you get out of interactions. The dialogue skills probably differ a bit, but I can't imagine they change TOO much about the game or plot since even huge studios can't go too hard on path branching.

I might see if I can find a detailed plot synopsis since I would like to see how the story pans out. But gently caress actually playing it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hard disagree with the thread title change. FB2SA: Frontload Bloodlines 2 Shaming Always

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

grate deceiver posted:

Overall verdict: story good, the lore and all the plots and betrayals going on were pretty solid. The execution though: ehhh.

I think this is true, but I suspect I’m much more willing to put up with mediocre/poor execution for the lore stuff. And I think the story was a lot of fun.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I really want the action style of Bloodhubt in a cool SP game. I don't like competitive games but it's a pretty cool style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
yeah single player action rpg. I already mentioned Alpha Protocol, but a game that short with so many hidden interactions based on your choices, powers, conversations, relationships? That'd be my dream.