Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i am a moron posted:

everything you posted is true wrt management thinking except for this, you'll have much better luck whipping your FTEs to death

oh, you don't whip the contractors. you just offer them more work, their eyes turn to dollar signs, and they work themselves to half to death. if they're (the contractor) playing the game right, they know they're going to need down time to recover before the next gig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

nudgenudgetilt posted:

the term I've heard management assholes say is "optionality". the fully loaded cost for an employee is easily 1.5x their salary. management will gladly pay that 2x difference between fully loaded employee and contractor in exchange for increased "optionality" in the situation.

contractors can be cut any time for no reason at all, and nobody outside the two parties involved will give a gently caress.

with employees both legal and social requirements/expectations arise. firing the employee means incurring hr costs to ensure you're doing it by the book and possibly incurring the wrath of the general public depending on how the firing is perceived.

not saying I like any of the above, just that there is a lot more to the calculus than "salary = recurring cost = expensive, consulting = temporary cost = cheap" implies. the benefit of the temporary nature of the contractor isn't that they're a cost that can be recovered any time by firing them. it's that contractors have much lower costs associated with swapping them in and out, allowing you to push them way harder and throw them away when they're used up

oh dont get me wrong, im not saying contractors = bad, im more saying contactors = temporary employees where that temporary nature comes at a premium. bringing in contractors do to work outside of your core business is entirely reasonable

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Shaggar posted:

oh dont get me wrong, im not saying contractors = bad, im more saying contactors = temporary employees where that temporary nature comes at a premium. bringing in contractors do to work outside of your core business is entirely reasonable

oh, I'm totally saying "contractors = bad" if they aren't truly a temporary need

the final form of a company run by these assholes outsources anything they consider outside their core competency, and consider their core competency to be an orchestrated outsourcing of poo poo

once upon a time the person performing janitorial services at a company had at least a shot at moving to another role within the same company.

today that person is likely 1099 contractor for the company your company contracts janitorial services out to, and the fact they perform services for your company no longer provides an opportunity for upward mobility

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

CarForumPoster posted:

I didnt know I thought this

CarForumPoster posted:

100% I will cop to missing good early-career candidates with the GitHub requirement. It's my own fault I can't filter them from resume alone, but I can't. I only hire maybe 1-2 computer touchers per year and have no other help hiring so how I optimize my time might not apply to other companies. Hopefully others are better about knowing you're awesome purely from your resume and phone interview.

I know I'm digging a hole but: Our little 10 person company is and always has been diverse as gently caress on gender and ethnicity. I'm okay excluding those who are privileged enough to not need to make a portfolio. I'm happy that the people I've hired since doing this contribute to the outcomes for the company and contribute different backgrounds and ideas than we might get if I hired along my own biased perception of "good candidates" which, according to data, isn't that good. My biases are bad at hiring, so I use a portfolio.

CarForumPoster posted:

because when you’re making $12/hr and have $2k in savings decreasing weekly, or working a job you loving hate

but could be making figgies

and spending 10 hours polishing up something that is free increases the chance of figgies you find 10 hours because you have to

if you’ve already got that job offer from Lockheed for a fresh $75k cause you have a BSCS, internship and a 3.2GPA yea you can skip a GitHub and a LinkedIn.

----

How else am I supposed to read this?

Xarn fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 1, 2022

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Xarn posted:

----

hiring people is hard, but also, its not difficult?

I would think that people who have the time and money to sit down and create a portfolio would be the ones who are privileged.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

champagne posting posted:

I would think that people who have the time and money to sit down and create a portfolio would be the ones who are privileged.

it's a great way to bias yourself against busy people with families who aren't already involved in OSS via work

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Xarn posted:

----

Xarn posted:

CFP is the guy who thinks that by looking for non-job project from potential employees, he is favouring minorities and disadvantaged people. :shrug:

Read as: GitHubs are available to most people who would be qualified for the jobs that required them, regardless of social or economic disadvantages.

The results for our company indicate this is true, most of our developers over our 3 years would qualify as socially AND economically disadvantaged. My cofounder and I are, presently, the only cis/het white men in the company. So whether or not bias in that system of hiring is possible, the result in fact has been a diverse team in my experience so far.

That said, I don't believe or claim that requiring a GitHub with code you wrote on it is "favouring minorities and disadvantaged people". It is neutral to them because they are free and doing so requires only a few hours. However, in my experience NOT making a GitHub is a choice made primarily by people who have competing offers already.

champagne posting posted:

There is no monetary cost, that's the point. The time cost to be in the top 10% of candidates is 5-10 hours. Most people will spend that amount of time on a resume. However, a resume doesn't help you stand out amongst people with similar resumes and may actively hurt you if you're trying to pivot the technologies or nature of the jobs you're doing.

---------

I find this debate frustrating because its centered around social ideas/ideals rather than how to achieve the goal of getting competing offers to get the job, life and pay you want. It seems like one made from an ivory tower to me. Every dev doesn't want to bother, but SOME recruiters look for it, and in that conflict lies opportunity for those who do.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i'll help you

CarForumPoster posted:

I find this debate frustrating because its centered around social ideas/ideals rather than how to achieve the goal of getting competing offers to get the job, life and pay you want. It seems like one made from an ivory tower to me. Every dev doesn't want to bother, but SOME recruiters look for it, and in that conflict lies opportunity for those who do.

CarForumPoster posted:

My cofounder and I are, presently, the only cis/het white men in the company.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Aight let me post some PSYCHO poo poo to get us off this fuckin derail.

Yesterday I attended a thing, while I was doing the thing I saved some drafts for thank you cards and schedule sent them this morning. Tell me if this is psycho poo poo, bootlicker poo poo, good professional poo poo, or just poo poo.

Edit: Noticed these were tagged to my personal account rather than government name account. Fuuuuuuuuck, oh well low stakes.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 1, 2022

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I feel like you are significantly under estimating the time it takes to put together a useful github portfolio

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
the feudal lord can make what ever choices he wants. he can require a github, he can throw all the resumes into a chipper shredder and consult the oracles as who to hire, and posting on the internet isn't going to change his mind.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

Yesterday I attended a thing, while I was doing the thing I saved some drafts for thank you cards and schedule sent them this morning. Tell me if this is psycho poo poo, bootlicker poo poo, good professional poo poo, or just poo poo.

Edit: Noticed these were tagged to my personal account rather than government name account. Fuuuuuuuuck, oh well low stakes.

its boomer poo poo, at least

and you forgot to redact one of the emails

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

KirbyKhan posted:

Don't apologize for not having a education/qualification. If you don't have an education/qualification, don't mention it.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

KirbyKhan posted:

Nah, you're fine. Assuming you matched the details to the correct person, it comes off as exactly what the people that would show up to events like this want to see. Remember, the companies aren't comparing notes on who sent them a thank you card. Your "worst" case scenario is ignored and deleted for all the messages, but most likely one or two will respond with "get back to me then and I'll get you in front of someone."

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Fool posted:

its boomer poo poo, at least

and you forgot to redact one of the emails

Good looking out, phone posting will fix when back on workstation.

Yeah, boomer catnip artisanaly handcrafted. As natural as shitpost

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I have constructed an elaborate scheme to bias my hires towards young single people with no hobbies outside of coding, please don't make me think too hard about it and realise that that's what I've done.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

CarForumPoster posted:

That said, I don't believe or claim that requiring a GitHub with code you wrote on it is "favouring minorities and disadvantaged people". It is neutral to them because they are free and doing so requires only a few hours. However, in my experience NOT making a GitHub is a choice made primarily by people who have competing offers already.

Yes, asking people to spend their free time is neutral. :shuckyes:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Reposted for posterity

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

seems fine

at first I thought you had received four very similar emails and I was very confused

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

KirbyKhan posted:

Reposted for posterity

Yeah this is fine. Definitely won’t hurt your case. Could help your case.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i have not enough of a gh presence to interest anyone inbound but good enough for peeps to mention it when they got me as a recruiting lead separately, but my old coworker definitely had enough for peeps to come in inbound solely on gh and my estimation of the gap was literal thousands of hours spent full time on oss. which, like, i spend literal thousands of hours full time paid on oss and i dont have as good a personal gh as that guy

if it's for seriously getting inbound recruiters its actually basically a full time job. if its collateral for recruiter to look at its still more like 50-100 hours

and full time or really serious oss is an absolute basically total white-or-asian-dude-fest, more than closed source programming. myself not an exception. stereotype threat hits harder when shits in public

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 1, 2022

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The desire for portfolio work is what turns every private bootcamp's capstone into a blog post. Which is a marvel in way, to take someone who has not touched computer and get them to learn enough rituals to stand up a WordPress blog in AWS and configure the network to exclude known malicious actors.

But let's be real we all tore down those instances and migrated our posts to Medium because money

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

KirbyKhan posted:

this is fine. getting a job is a form of sales and sales is a) a numbers game; and b) planting many seeds early means there might be something to harvest down the road.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

was this actually your idea, or was it an assignment at a half-rate boot camp?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i have not enough of a gh presence to interest anyone inbound but good enough for peeps to mention it when they got me as a recruiting lead separately, but my old coworker definitely had enough for peeps to come in inbound solely on gh and my estimation of the gap was literal thousands of hours spent full time on oss. which, like, i spend literal thousands of hours full time paid on oss and i dont have as good a personal gh as that guy

if it's for seriously getting inbound recruiters its actually basically a full time job. if its collateral for recruiter to look at its still more like 50-100 hours

and full time or really serious oss is an absolute basically total white-or-asian-dude-fest, more than closed source programming. myself not an exception. stereotype threat hits harder when shits in public

Right, I have a sizeable gh presence, enough to sometimes get me leads from people who've actually read it (unlike the "I saw your GH and I think you would be a great fit to our Java team", while my GH is 98% C++ and the rest is Python glue), let me skip the initial "can this guy code his way out of paper bag" interview rounds and so on.

The reason that I have is that I was privileged af and also because I find coding enough fun to want to do it in my free time.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

nudgenudgetilt posted:

was this actually your idea, or was it an assignment at a half-rate boot camp?

Both yes. I've seen Thank You card back when I was doing entertainment industry stuff in the mid 2010s so its not completely foreign to me. All the folks in my home network are boomer as gently caress, so that's where the ~extra~ formality comes in. I think it's useful, especially right now before I make my Things_Ive_Applied_To.xls. It has a place, idk it inserts me into someone's inbox in a pleasant way doesn't take much time.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

All the folks in my home network are boomer as gently caress, so that's where the ~extra~ formality comes in.

based on all the other replies in the thread, I'm probably in the minority, but my take is:

1) grow your network
2) boomers want that formality because it puts you beneath them. they don't communicate with peers that way. communicate with your potential colleagues as peers and you're far more likely to be treated as a peer. communicate with them as though you're lesser to them, and they're going to consider you lesser to them

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

Kernel Sanders posted:

this is fine. getting a job is a form of sales and sales is a) a numbers game; and b) planting many seeds early means there might be something to harvest down the road.

^ Also just blast out your resume like crazy. Try to send 7 a day Mon - Fri.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ugh, I feel like doing the moves my boomer financiers desire frequently runs counter to actually getting a job. It is a wierd life. It is balancing act.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

amazon recruiter just reached out to let me know they're now 'skipping the initial screening for strong candidates such as yourself'

i'm maybe 20% interested but i'm thinking about going through the process just to see what kind of offer they throw at me

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the worst of tech major jobs, but deffo still a tech major job

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i went to glassdoor to check things out and holy poo poo how does that site manage to get even worse every time i go to it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it cant really exist in good faith

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

this was pretty funny and trending on redditized glassdoor: https://www.teamblind.com/post/Just-got-PIP-at-AWS-after-4-months-onboarding-plan-GqnfJwnX

"hire to fire" what

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I live in Amazon territory and the most positive review I've ever heard is "it depends on your team" which means that in general, it sucks rear end

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

this was pretty funny and trending on redditized glassdoor: https://www.teamblind.com/post/Just-got-PIP-at-AWS-after-4-months-onboarding-plan-GqnfJwnX

"hire to fire" what

this is the first time i'm ever hearing of 'hire to fire' and everyone in that thread is tossing it out so casually. yikes

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
after the great nadella purge that unfucked microsoft those fuckers are now mostly at amazon

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm pretty sure I sunk a 7 hour Amazon interview last year by asking "I've heard Amazon asks a lot of its employees and has a lot of turnover at the 3-4 year mark. What is your experience and has the company done anything to increase retention?"

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Not a Children posted:

I'm pretty sure I sunk a 7 hour Amazon interview last year by asking "I've heard Amazon asks a lot of its employees and has a lot of turnover at the 3-4 year mark. What is your experience and has the company done anything to increase retention?"

i did interviewing at amazon and that sorta question wouldnt have sunk you with any of the loops id been on. doesnt mean you werent interviewed by an idiot, because lord knows there were plenty of idiots there, but its not a sure bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

this is the first time i'm ever hearing of 'hire to fire' and everyone in that thread is tossing it out so casually. yikes

hire to fire is an attempt to get around stack ranking and preserve your team.

however, you’d think that the manager’s manager would pip the manager because they also have numbers to hit and the guy breaking the rules is a good target