Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hbag posted:

today's squats seemed easier than yesterday's, did 2 sets in one sitting rather than 1

how much weight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

for base activity the 7 minute workout done 2-3 times in a row is p good https://youtu.be/ECxYJcnvyMw

the arnie covid home workout was also p good the first year of covid though i still suck at push ups https://www.reddit.com/user/GovSchwarzenegger/comments/flz3es/stay_at_home_stay_fit/

there is a thread about this https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953955&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=11

if youre in good health and mobile, you can get into shape all it takes is consistency

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 31, 2022

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

akadajet posted:

how much weight?

body weight because im still working my way up to using weight
you underestimate how out of shape i am

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hbag posted:

body weight because im still working my way up to using weight
you underestimate how out of shape i am

I started out squatting the bar, which is 45lbs ish

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

leg press machine is even easier if you can’t squat the bar

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i think jumping directly into doing gym stuff needs a little build up or youll get overwhelmed, the body weight squats are a great start

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’ve only been doing calisthenics, body weight exercises, and long walks since the start of the pandemic in combination with trying to eat better to control my IBS.

I’m down to 160 from 190, but I need to start doing actual weights soon now that I’m at a good base level and am happy with my cardio

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I started doing strong lifts back in january and have been pretty happy with it

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

dioxazine posted:

this would also be a nothing was learned situation

it is kind of bizarre that there was a three month delay for the retro on a prod outage, but i've also had that happen and also had a prod outage never talked about after it was jerry rigged without a true fix

Another fun wrinkle is that the reason for the delay is because Lessons Learned meetings have a specific timeslot on Thursdays that nobody is allowed to schedule anything else into and, as a result, that one timeslot is vastly backlogged with Lessons that need to be Learned. And everybody is just…fine with this, I guess. (I will likely have words to say about this and everybody will just go, "Well, what're ya gonna do?" lol)

But yeah, I don't know how anybody who responded to the original outage (which does not include me, because I don't check work stuff on weekends lol) is expected to even remember what happened any more. Doubly so because the resolution was "restart it" and there really isn't much more to it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i bought a barbell so ive been lifting at home, in my underwear :getin:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i always just give up a week into any attempt to consistently exercise

i can't find the energy or will to even try anymore, knowing this

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i am entirely motivated by my need to have a bigger rear end and flatter stomach so i guess find something like that

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

quote:

i always just give up a week into any attempt to consistently exercise

i can't find the energy or will to even try anymore, knowing this

are you maybe going to hard to start out? or maybe can't find the time effectively (like it feels like you should be doing something else with your time)?

i want to know because my main thing is always about trying to figure out how to get people i know to stick at it, because it's the "sticking at it" part that makes it work

the biggest thing i've found is people try to do too much at once, overloading themselves and then giving up

it should be gradual. like start exercising, then like 6 months later, start eating healthier, then like 6 months later, change up your workout to be more intense or goal targeted and so on, they beget each other very naturally.

or like having someone you REALLY love or respect get on your rear end about it, in a nice way

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

can barely breathe after five minutes on an e-bike, muscles weak & getting weaker, me making excuses and/or feeling morose instead of doing something about it, can't hold myself accountable despite knowing drat well it's up to me...

yeah that's me to a t, sure enough

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 31, 2022

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

idk how to motivate you. i do it for endurance so i can do my other hobbies more effectively (hiking, kayaking, rigorous gay sex)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

can barely breathe after five minutes on an e-bike, muscles weak & getting weaker, me making excuses and/or feeling morose instead of doing something about it

yeah that's me to a t, sure enough

ok then you're starting too hard (relatively) i think, try walking a lot more as a beginning thing if you can, do the 7 minute routine once a day at home until you can do it without getting winded, then do it twice

see if a friend or family member would be willing to be a coach or at least an alarm clock to yell at you to do the small things

it's small, progressive things that work, and small incremental goals, not like super maxing lifts or crossfit or whatever the big health woo cult want you to think

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i went to niagara falls for the first time this weekend. it was really cool

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

your heart is a muscle you can train too so if you get gassed really easily you just gotta keep at it until you build your cardiovascular endurance

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it will suck rear end all the time but eventually you'll notice you're jogging 45 mins straight and :monocle:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

exercise never gets easier the numbers just go up

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

exercise kind of does get easier when you notice that you generally feel better than before you started, sleep better, better mood, etc

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

you eventually do hit diminishing returns on that and then you become deprecated and replaced by an updated version

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Share Bear posted:

ok then you're starting too hard (relatively) i think, try walking a lot more as a beginning thing if you can, do the 7 minute routine once a day at home until you can do it without getting winded, then do it twice

see if a friend or family member would be willing to be a coach or at least an alarm clock to yell at you to do the small things

it's small, progressive things that work, and small incremental goals, not like super maxing lifts or crossfit or whatever the big health woo cult want you to think
too much, hell, whenever i try i feel like i'm not doing even remotely enough to make any differenec

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hire a nice jock to force you to exercise, then

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i went to niagara falls for the first time this weekend. it was really cool

I really enjoyed the area even if it was a little touristy outside of the Falls.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

im such a lazy little turd

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

im such a lazy little turd

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

... i'm sorry, i know youre all just trying to help and i'm being an exasperating rear end in a top hat about it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you like have a kayak and a bicycle and poo poo. i havent left the house in 3 days. your move

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

... i'm sorry, i know youre all just trying to help and i'm being an exasperating rear end in a top hat about it

thats why you get the nice jock, to tell you you're being an idiot and do the pushups or whatever

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

what happened to your walking regimen jonny

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it got cold and i got depressed and stopped

tryin to start it a couple days a week again tho.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I guess I'm going to start back up on the dumbbells today thanks to you guys. Was lifting daily in inpatient and felt amazing, but it fell by the wayside after a while. No idea why, lifting heavy poo poo is like my favorite feeling in the world.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

going hiking again last weekend really made me miss having not hiked at all for the last three years. mostly stuck with doing exercises in the back yard or early morning jogging

sadly, most of my hiking pals were also my tabletop pals and the great majority of them took the opportunity to move in the last year or two

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

when my kids are up from their nap I think I will take them on a walk and get slurpees since it’s 90 and sunny outside ☺️

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Stronglifts is a solid program for beginners. I went from squatting 125 to 225 in a little longer than 2 months. It could stand to be improved though, it involves a lot of squats, can get monotonous, and doesn't quite hit enough areas. I switched to GZCLP; here's a good infographic that describes it - https://saynotobroscience.com/gzclp-infographic/

The progression is really quite easy once you get into it, and it covers a lot of compound lifts. Also does a good job of improving both work capacity and heavy lifting.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

hey cjs. hope you've all been well.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
stupid walks for stupid mental health

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

jony neuemonic posted:

hey cjs. hope you've all been well.

you as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

jony neuemonic posted: