Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Episode 1 of Prehistoric Planet was great.

Seriously! That was fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

:v:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I will say, though, so much of it felt made up. How could they possibly know so much about the behavior of animals that went extinct 65 million years ago?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

blue squares posted:

I will say, though, so much of it felt made up. How could they possibly know so much about the behavior of animals that went extinct 65 million years ago?

Inference from the fossil record can give us a lot of insight into how extinct animals might have lived. Plus it's not as though animals behave all that differently in separate habitats. Food chains still sort themselves out and we can use modern day ecosystems as a framework for how a prehistoric one fills ecological niches.

It's all conjecture until we build a time machine to see for ourselves but we can make decent guesses based on what we have to work with. Bite marks, stomach contents, skin indentations, tracks. There's a lot more that goes into paleontology than just the bones themselves. Like, we know that a jurassic predator like Allosaurus was a high activity hunter thanks to the abundance of specimens discovered (indicating it was a top predator if it could maintain such a high population) and the multiple microfractures in the fossils that indicate damage and healing from hunts.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can also compare bone structure to modern animals to figure out what their behavior would have been like based on their body layout and features. Then look at damage to the bones, where it is, what direction it might have come from, and what possibly caused it send then see if other examples have that same type of damage to see if, as an example, they were group feeders who would also snap at each other while ripping apart a carcass. I saw a thing saying T-Rexes had short arms likely because they were scavengers who would group up and rip into a dead whatever it was they ate. Long arms could get in the way of another T-Rex's mouth which could lead to it being bitten off and the wound getting infected.

Anyways, I'll have to pick up apple tv soon and check this out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Second episode was just as good. That Velociraptor looked incredible but the sneaky Pterosaur was my favourite when the other male thought it was a female and made advances on him.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 25, 2022

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The theme music for Slow Horses is loving fantastic.

I didn’t realise it was a new Mick Jagger song, I assumed it was an old one they repurposed.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
Also wanted to gush about how great Prehistoric Planet is. My only quibble has been that in some places it does lean a bit on the speculative side (there's some clear All Yesterdays influence!) without really making that clear. But the very fact that there's a mainstream high-budget production deliberately engaging with current literature while actively trying to subvert problematic tropes and attitudes in the popular consciousness about prehistoric life is incredible. And important, considering how much public knowledge about paleontology has stagnated.

Dayton Sports Bar fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 26, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If it’s lasting influence is kids start getting really into dinosaurs are cool again it’ll be worth it.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Prehistoric Planet Episode 3: T-Rex cuddling

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

actively trying to subvert problematic tropes and attitudes in the popular consciousness about prehistoric life

girl dinosaurs pee out the butt

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Darren Naish, the science advisor in the show, talks about some of the decisions here:

https://twitter.com/TetZoo/status/1529795393378308097

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chairman Capone posted:

Darren Naish, the science advisor in the show, talks about some of the decisions here:

Pro click. Watching this show has dredged up a lot of old memories because I was surprised at how many species I've recognized and I did notice the Velociraptor is a bit out of its usual time frame. But it looks stunning so I'll let it pass.

I also really like the discussion in the Extras for the Ice Worlds episode about pack hunting. The show has put a big focus on family dynamics among dinosaurs, so it was cool seeing how that is reflected in different species. The Dromaeosaurs were like wolves, the Nanuqsaurs were like bears and the Troodontid was a wolverine.

But I think my favourite thing about the show so far has been the different Hadrosaur species. They're just fascinating to watch, I can't stop looking at their forelimbs and how... human they look. It's like someone stuck human arms onto their chest girdle and replaced the hands with hooves. The arctic ones looked like a herd of caribou.

Got some real Spirits of the Ice Forest vibes when they went to the antarctic.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Prehistoric Planet Episode 5: Swole Carnotaurus

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Don't miss the Uncovered short for each episode of Prehistoric Planet! They're not full making-of episodes, just a quick look at some of the science behind the episodes. I really hope they do a full-length making-of episode like they did for Planet Earth!

Slight complaint: I've watched 3 episodes and I have had enough of Pterosaurs. Please move on

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

blue squares posted:

Slight complaint: I've watched 3 episodes and I have had enough of Pterosaurs. Please move on

no :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The pterosaurs are the best weirdos in the show but I do want to see them pick a fight with birds.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

Chairman Capone posted:

Oh wow these threads are really cool; it's amazing how deliberate everything is. I'd also love to see full-length behind-the-scenes episodes or even commentary tracks where the scientists involved discuss this stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Here's another one for Freshwater:

https://twitter.com/TetZoo/status/1530157214392012802?t=vpLzCTV7RkPtDDM9voQGpw&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished the last episode of Prehistoric Planet. I want more, that was too good to end now. I don't know if it tops Walking With Dinosaurs for me as the best dinosaur documentary ever made, but it does enough things differently that I can't really say it's worse than WWD. It's certainly more up to date with the science and it looks better in places. It's the difference between Attenborough's vignette style episodes versus the continuous narrative of the Branagh series.

Regardless, I'm happy I got to watch this. Time well spent.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

here's an interview Brendan Hunt did: https://teddington.nub.news/news/local-news/up-close-ted-lassos-coach-beard-opens-up-on-richmond-pubs-and-football-135969

he mentions in the very last question that this will be the final year of Ted Lasso

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sad, but ending things on your own term is the dream. It should be a great season for sure.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sad, but ending things on your own term is the dream. It should be a great season for sure.

Especially if we get a Coach Beard spinoff....

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Season two of Ted Lasso felt like it was being turned into a generic comedy, so they could just keep it going for seven seasons without any effort.
Hopefully this last season will be more like the first one.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I started "Shining Girls" last night and watched one episode. I have absolutely no clue what is going on, but Elisabeth Moss and and Amy Brenneman with some time/crime fuckery makes me pretty excited to find out where this goes.

The only info I bothered to read was that is was based on a book with apparently problematic viewpoints and the show avoids or sidesteps some of that, so that's good I guess.

It has that same humming dread that Severance, Servant or Mosquito Coast have, always there in the background. When things are calm it's all you can hear. Really tense, and I hope it turns out to be a good show.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I enjoyed Shining Girls, but Elisabeth Moss doesn't really do it for me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Still enjoying Physical a lot. Sheila is slowly turning into a psychopath lmfao, and Bunny rules.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Apparently appleTV+ will start being the home on MLS games for a decade starting in 2023. It’s not a bad move.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Guess it’s an add on, although some games are included with Apple TV+:

quote:

From early 2023 through 2032, fans can get every live MLS match by subscribing to a new MLS streaming service, available exclusively through the Apple TV app

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/06/apple-and-mls-to-present-all-mls-matches-for-10-years-beginning-in-2023/

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Dozens of fans reportedly ecstatic

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I expect it'll be like the MLB stuff where there's a few weekly games as part of normal TV+.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

I watched the Foundation series and I liked it. I have seen much worse Sci-Fi in the past years, for example all Star Treks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Strange New Worlds is much better than Foundation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

Still enjoying Physical a lot. Sheila is slowly turning into a psychopath lmfao, and Bunny rules.

I just started it the other day but it’s pretty great.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Azhais posted:

Dozens of fans reportedly ecstatic

mls is pretty popular nowadays, you're missing out.

that said the USL champion's league is way better GO LE ROGUE

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Latest Physical was a good one.

Not a show but the movie Cha Cha Real Smooth is up on Apple now! I watched it last night and liked it a lot. Very earnest and winning indie dramedy so naturally with that description it will annoy some but I thought it was great

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Loot isn't bad (or great for that matter) but tbh I'm kind of at the point where I just find watching anything about the mega wealthy unenjoyable even if the whole point is her finding perspective or whatever.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why is it so hard for the industry to write a good role for Maya Rudolph? She’s so loving talented

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Because SNL signal boosts the careers of a bunch of talented comedians/actors and then they get offered a bunch of high profile roles that are mostly stupid as gently caress.

if you want to watch something decent with her check out Forever on Prime. It's not like, amazing or anything but I liked it quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
She was amazing as the judge on the Good place but that was just a guest bit.