Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

On the YTTV family sharing it says 3 simultaneous streams. Is that per user or 3 total for the whole family?

Pretty sure it’s per family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hulu outage lol. Didn't see that coming. Annoying.

Nm, it's back.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Any thoughts on Philo?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

NotNut posted:

Any thoughts on Philo?

I've not heard any complaints from friends who use it. However, none of them are real sports fans so the service is more or less perfect for them.

I'm thinking of getting it and then swapping back and forth to Hulu for college football season. That's the only sport I can't live without.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
What would be a better device for a 70 year old, Roku, Fire TV, or an Android TV set top box?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NotNut posted:

What would be a better device for a 70 year old, Roku, Fire TV, or an Android TV set top box?

Roku out of these, Apple TV would best imo though if that’s an option.

Source: switched my old man of the same age from cable to his first streaming box with a Roku and he took to it real quickly.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Rokus are practically made for olds. Dead simple.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Yep, 70 year old parents took to a Roku and YoutubeTV almost immediately. My dad also likes the phone remote since he has a tendency to lose the real remote.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I wouldn’t recommend the AppleTV remote for a 70 year old, even the updated one.

Stick with the Roku.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I love my Apple TV but the remote was the first thing that came to mind. Not sure if the Gen 2 would be more friendly, the old silver one probably would be though.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I recently upgraded my TV (Samsung Q90A 85"... big TV is big). I use a long HDMI cable and basically use it as my computer monitor in the living room, never touch any 'TV' stuff or apps or had any intention of connecting it to the internet. However it's come to my attention that I can't stream a bunch of stuff in a browser and have it be at maximum quality due to DRM fears or something. I know I can (apparently) change the TV's DNS settings to use some DNS that blocks ads. Is that (with using the TV's apps) the most reasonable way to get the best quality for streaming content? Would I still enabling a bunch of tracking and stuff regardless (more than whatever Netflix gets from me watching in my browser?) Or is there a better solution that still lets me never connect the TV to the internet? I know I could get a Fire 4k or something but would that be about equivalent as far as tracking goes? Or better because even with DNS changes the TV might still send stuff back to Samsung etc etc.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So you can run an adblocker at the DNS level but that won’t be much help to you as most ad serving video providers pull their ads from the same DNS as the actual content.

Browser based ad blocking doesn’t work the same way and is thus able to work as you’d expect.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you're talking about the ads that Samsung puts in on the TV itself, a DNS blocker will probably stop them. If you're talking about ads on a service like Hulu, then it won't. At some point though, Samsung could release a firmware update that gets around DNS blockers. It probably depends on if they think the boosted revenue is worth the hassle.

I'd just disconnect the TV from the internet and use an Apple TV if I wanted to lessen the bullshit I have to deal with for the $3k TV I bought.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Mental Hospitality posted:

Does that mean their fancy mesh router won't be usable? Or can they just not use the wifi in the at&t kit?
Who's their? At&t equipment works, but it does limit your control over your network if you are a turbonerd about it.
I've not used at&t but in order to set up Homelab stuff, unifi or ubiquiti gear, pfsense boxes, custom dns stuff you have to bypass whatever box has the modem by bridging to it for more granular network control.
At least that's my understanding from the networking thread.

Warbird posted:

So you can run an adblocker at the DNS level but that won’t be much help to you as most ad serving video providers pull their ads from the same DNS as the actual content.

Browser based ad blocking doesn’t work the same way and is thus able to work as you’d expect.
Adguard paid service may catch some of those but I also run pihole and there is a smartTV blocking blacklist that blocks in stream ads, (sometimes) from like crackle, or whatever shows movies or shows with ads.
Also Samsung Roku etc tracking from the TV itself "phoning home" if you want

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Inept posted:

If you're talking about the ads that Samsung puts in on the TV itself, a DNS blocker will probably stop them. If you're talking about ads on a service like Hulu, then it won't. At some point though, Samsung could release a firmware update that gets around DNS blockers. It probably depends on if they think the boosted revenue is worth the hassle.

I'd just disconnect the TV from the internet and use an Apple TV if I wanted to lessen the bullshit I have to deal with for the $3k TV I bought.

Yeah. For now I ended up just plugging the TV in with ethernet and using the DNS blocker, only switching from my PC view to apps when I need to and hoping Samsung respects the 'do not record my screen and process it for analytics' privacy selection.

But yeah, is Apple TV better/worse than a Fire 4k stick or some other solution for keeping the TV itself offline?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Apple TV is the only thing left that doesn't contain things like banner ads. It does have promoted content within the Apple TV app, but you don't have to use that app for anything except Apple TV+

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I picked up a Chromecast with Google TV after finding out that the PS4/PS5 HBO Max apps don't do surround sound. Got it all set up earlier and HBO has surround now and almost everything seems pretty good except for one thing...

The Hulu app on the Play store doesn't support surround sound? I can confirm it works fine on the PS5. It's weird to me that working 5.1 sound has been so inconsistent on modern devices.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Using Discovery+ on Apple TV and for some reason I cannot disable captions, anyone else having this issue?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Minidust posted:

Using Discovery+ on Apple TV and for some reason I cannot disable captions, anyone else having this issue?

I thought my wife messed this up, I get the captions loading each time. I can go up and select auto again and they go away but come back next time a video loads

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

god this blows posted:

I thought my wife messed this up, I get the captions loading each time. I can go up and select auto again and they go away but come back next time a video loads

Support actually got back to me and said there was a recent update to fix this. I looked up Discovery+ in the App Store, and sure enough it had the “update” prompt. Turned subtitles off and they stayed off, so I think that did it!

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Minidust posted:

Support actually got back to me and said there was a recent update to fix this. I looked up Discovery+ in the App Store, and sure enough it had the “update” prompt. Turned subtitles off and they stayed off, so I think that did it!

Do you have it set to auto or off? Ours has been auto which works for every other service.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Inept posted:

This is the way to go. It also works for DirecTV's Genie boxes that show ads after 30 seconds whenever you pause what you're watching. It will also disable DTV's on demand shows too, but I never used those anyway.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Why doesn't Google bundle any services? It's so frustrating.

I have YT Premium, YT TV, One and now my new house has Google Fiber available.

But you get dick all for discounts.

Currently I have spectrum internet and get 2 x 5G Unlimited mobile lines for a flat $60 rate. It's awesome.

I want to switch to Fiber, but I'd lose my mobile discounts.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
with the Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle getting all the attention, I had no idea you could get just Disney+Hulu for $10 (technically it's Hulu for $7 with the Disney "add-on" for $3) I wanted to watch the new season of The Orville and had let my Disney+ lapse a few months ago, so seemed like a good opportunity to get back on board for a bit. Also there was some "streaming day" deal for Hulu so I'm only paying $4/mo for 3 months I think?? I believe that promotion's over, but if you mised it, $10 for the 2 services still seems pretty rad

yeah some sorta YT bundle deal would be nice. still chugging along with Philo's janky-rear end Apple TV app but it gets the job done (seriously, why must the Apple TV app in particular be so poo poo, it's the opposite of almost every other app scenario)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google actually partners with T-Mobile on a discount. I'm currently getting a $10 discount on YTTV.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Google actually partners with T-Mobile on a discount. I'm currently getting a $10 discount on YTTV.

Ok but I mean a bundle discount, not a carrier thing.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

BonoMan posted:

Ok but I mean a bundle discount, not a carrier thing.

That seems like that would require some sort of consolidated google plan/management vs a collection of feral city states.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's just not in their best interest.

I mean, it's not like you can bundle Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, Apple Music, and Apple News either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

It's just not in their best interest.

I mean, it's not like you can bundle Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, Apple Music, and Apple News either.
You can do that, though.

https://www.apple.com/apple-one/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, I guess so, but they game "savings" heavily by manipulating cloud storage.

You only save $6 on the individual tier if the 50gb if iCloud storage is important to you. Otherwise, those other three services are essentially the same cost.

You really only save if you are all in with the the ecosystem and get the Premier thing or if you have multiple people to share with.

As an individual that doesn't want to use every single one of their services (like Apple Fitness+), there's not really any savings to be had here.

You can't even get Apple News+ on anything other than the top bundle and it with Apple TV+ are probably the two most valuable services to have (but you have to buy 2tb of cloud storage and Apple Fitness+ to bundle them.)

I don't really have any use for iCloud storage when I get 100gb of storage from Google for answering a few survey questions a month.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I don't really have any use for iCloud storage when I get 100gb of storage from Google for answering a few survey questions a month.

How do you do this?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

It's definitely designed for Apple eco system people, where extra iCloud on our Macs/iPhones is essentially a need more than a want these days.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Silly Burrito posted:

How do you do this?
presumably https://surveys.google.com/google-opinion-rewards/ but i don't know how to spend the credit on anything other than the play store. it would be nice if i could do this because my unspent credits keep dropping off

e: lol

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 2, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

butt dickus posted:

presumably https://surveys.google.com/google-opinion-rewards/ but i don't know how to spend the credit on anything other than the play store. it would be nice if i could do this because my unspent credits keep dropping off

e: lol

Yeah, Google rewards surveys.

You can bill Google One to your Google Play balance which is where rewards survey bux go. As long as I have more than $1.99 of survey rewards in a month, I break even.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Love google rewards surveys. Have about $300 lifetime earnings so far!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Maneki Neko posted:

That seems like that would require some sort of consolidated google plan/management vs a collection of feral city states.

This is so true. I'm convinced at this point that Google is actually just one big AI and these services are the equivalent of tumors or growths and it's not even really aware of them. They just sort of ... Exist.

Everything about them is opaque and unapproachable.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, Google rewards surveys.

You can bill Google One to your Google Play balance which is where rewards survey bux go. As long as I have more than $1.99 of survey rewards in a month, I break even.

Good to know!!! Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Eh, I guess so, but they game "savings" heavily by manipulating cloud storage.

You only save $6 on the individual tier if the 50gb if iCloud storage is important to you. Otherwise, those other three services are essentially the same cost.

You really only save if you are all in with the the ecosystem and get the Premier thing or if you have multiple people to share with.

As an individual that doesn't want to use every single one of their services (like Apple Fitness+), there's not really any savings to be had here.

You can't even get Apple News+ on anything other than the top bundle and it with Apple TV+ are probably the two most valuable services to have (but you have to buy 2tb of cloud storage and Apple Fitness+ to bundle them.)

You're moving goalposts. You claimed Apple doesn't offer a discount for getting a bunch of services. They do. That the specific offerings are not a deal to you, personally, is not at all relevant. A 25% savings even if iCloud is not important to you is not "essentially the same cost" that's a significant discount. If you want News+ and not Fitness+ you can get that separately on top of the $15 plan and you're still getting a 16% overall discount.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

You're moving goalposts.

I am not. I specifically said that you couldn't bundle Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, Apple Music, and Apple News+ and you can't.

You can bundle 3 of them with iCould storage and then add News+ at full cost. that costs $24.94.

Or, I could buy all 4 separately and pay, $24.96. The difference is the iCloud storage which I admit some may have use for, but I personally don't. So the bundle isn't meaningful to me much like the aforementioned T-Mobile and YouTubeTV bundle isn't meaningful to someone else. That bundle is actually even less useful to me since T-Mobile also picks up my AppleTV+ bill as well.

I mean this IS the cutting cable thread where we specifically rebelled against being forced to buy things that we don't have a use for.

But, if I really wanted to be pedantic.

https://store.google.com/product/pixel_pass?hl=en-US

Google actually has the more complete bundle since you can get a device, Google 1 with 200gb of storage, Youtube Premium, Youtube Music, Google Play Pass, and Preferred Care and you can get even further discounts if you use Fi as the carrier for one monthly bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not sure where you're getting your prices from.

For individuals:

Apple Music $9.99
Apple TV+ $4.99
Apple News+ $9.99
Apple Arcade $4.99

$29.96

Apple One (Music, TV+, Arcade, 50 GB iCloud) $14.99
Apple News+ $9.99

$24.98

But fine, sure, you can't bundle those four exact services together and save money. You can bundle three together with some storage that may or may not be useful to you, plus the fourth separately and save money versus paying for them separately.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 3, 2022