Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Turin Turambar posted:

So I click on the 'visit meta store' which goes here (the window says a code is not required)
https://store.facebook.com/us/quest/?utm_source=rakuten&utm_medium=affiliate&MID=43993&utm_campaign=FOQTp_1G5jg-iz2o_DCHPsYDFgdoestmeg

that's the main page. I have to go to the games section, which redirects me to
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/

where I don't see any special offer...?

Oh I thought it was about the fanatical game bundle, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

ChocNitty posted:

There's some pretty good PCVR games in this bundle for $5 ea, including Arizona Sunshine:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-a...cj_aid=13212017

Shouldn't this be "There's some pretty good PCVR games in this bundle, and also Arizona Sunshine"? :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

May 2022

That's the biggest jump ever in number of people with headsets. Despite not having a new relevant headset in >1 year and the last two months being super poor in VR games.

So... it's a new bug in Valve collection stats, OR, they had a bug before and they have fixed it, so we have now the real number.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 2, 2022

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
This looks interesting:
The Last Clockwinder

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256889454/movie480_vp9.webm

quote:

Automate everything! Perform simple tasks by hand, and then use the gloves to loop each task on repeat.
Team up with yourself! Coordinate your clones to create marvels of precision teamwork or hare-brained Rube Goldberg machines.
A cozy sci-fi world! Tackle things at your own pace in a gorgeous setting inspired by watchmaking, sci-fi, and the natural world.
Rediscover your connection to the Clocktower: Piece together your complicated past as you work to save your childhood home.

Out on Steam and Oculus store. They say story mode is about 4-6 hours, but you can go back afterward to try and optimize your machines to achieve challenge boards/achievements. $24.99 though, I might wait for a sale.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Horizon PSVR looks potentially promising? Trailer had a lot of climbing, lot of bow-ing, so that they seem to be leaning into the stuff that works well in VR. I'm wary of reading too much into the rest of it, though, since that series is big on "cinematic trailers made to look like idealised gameplay". Like I'm not going to hold my breath for armswinging locomotion even though some parts of the trailer looked vaguely like it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Chin Strap posted:

Quest 2 I assume? It has a pretty limited FOV. Higher FOV headsets (Index, Pimax, upcoming PSVR2) would let you do that a lot more.
Is Meta still rumored to be releasing a higher-end headset this year? I recall hearing something along those lines last fall, but haven't spotted any further confirmation since.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zuck gently caress gave new guidance recently that meta is going to be hemmoraging money for the next decade

I give better than 10% odds cambria santa cruz monica santa baby is delayed at least till next summer

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Last rumor I saw was that Facebook VR people want to bake it for longer but Zuck wants it out asap. Who knows. For sure they're just gonna bleed money for the next X years, though. 17,000 employees in the VR division, jesus christ.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mutata posted:

17,000 employees in the VR division, jesus christ.

:wtc:

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
When I hear numbers like that it makes me wonder what the average worker there actually does in a day. None of the facebook VR products so far seem like anything that require a team bigger than 5

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Shemp the Stooge posted:

When I hear numbers like that it makes me wonder what the average worker there actually does in a day. None of the facebook VR products so far seem like anything that require a team bigger than 5

yeah all of the facebook VR products seem like they were hacked together over a weekend

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Quest as a platform is a buggy mess but I wouldn't call it hacked together, if anything their problems stem from continuing to throw too many features at the wall instead of fixing the issues with what they have. It's clearly a product made with too many hands, not the other way around.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Quest seems like the product of 800-1200 people

What's always blown my mind was how twitter has 7500 employees, roughly half are engineers. For a product that hasn't appreciably changed in what, 12 years? Presumably the platform grew and matured a lot 2006-2010 but come on

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Do the tech support guys count?

Just the "I smashed my controller into a wall and now it's doing x" calls alone probably need a thousand people at the phones every day.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I missed this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcuPbiq8LTc

So... what's the idea here. Can you use the painted version of figures in your games later?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Cugel the Clever posted:

Is Meta still rumored to be releasing a higher-end headset this year? I recall hearing something along those lines last fall, but haven't spotted any further confirmation since.

They are but things don't seem to be going great. I was waiting for it but the more I found out about it the more I felt like it was going to disappoint. One big thing about it is it does not feature a new processor. All of the headsets coming out this year all use the same processor as the quest 2. The upcoming headset also doesn't really have a face thing to block out light, which means it's likely not very good for immersion.

Looks like a bit of a public beta where you pay a lot to try out new features before they release a good one for less money later.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I thought Cambria would be out by this date. I was wrong, obviously.

RE8 for PSVR2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6kgFBKAfIk

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Shemp the Stooge posted:

the star citizen strategy

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Turin Turambar posted:

So... what's the idea here. Can you use the painted version of figures in your games later?

That would be sweet if so!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SCheeseman posted:

Quest as a platform is a buggy mess but I wouldn't call it hacked together, if anything their problems stem from continuing to throw too many features at the wall instead of fixing the issues with what they have. It's clearly a product made with too many hands, not the other way around.

Yeah I would bet the majority of them are working on zucks metaverse vision whatever, and a smaller part are doing the engineering you would associate with a VR headset.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

It seems like the answer is no:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/demeo-painting-party-update-lets-you-give-monsters-a-makeover/ posted:

As the name suggests, the Painting Party Update gives you all the tools you need to paint the monsters from Demeo’s large (and still growing) collection of miniatures. You won’t be able to use your creations in-game, but it should still make for a fantastic night with a few friends.

Seems like a fantastic missed opportunity.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Went in there with my wife. She painted up an ogre thingy nicely. I painted a dick on the front of a goblin and fart on its butt. 10/10

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah I would bet the majority of them are working on zucks metaverse vision whatever, and a smaller part are doing the engineering you would associate with a VR headset.

Yeah, infrastructure-wise there are a lot of things missing from people being able to use VR headsets in the effortlessly connected and social way most people imagine, I imagine there's a ton of work to be done on that "boring" end of things.

Whether that's what they're working on, I dunno. I know some people are all about things like increasing FOV and won't look at VR until it does, but imo headsets are already super far out there hardware wise, infrastructure and software ends need to catch up.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Double post

marumaru
May 20, 2013

GaylordButts posted:

It seems like the answer is no:

Seems like a fantastic missed opportunity.

there's no way they didn't just release this feature as it is because they haven't finished making it usable ingame yet

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

marumaru posted:

there's no way they didn't just release this feature as it is because they haven't finished making it usable ingame yet

I hope that's the case! Them doing a "mini game" to paint the figures is cute and everything, but it begs for integration with the real game. I should check the Steam forums, to see if more people are asking for it.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

New Walkabout level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHQRq0Y4eFg

Just like the others, its tons of fun. Great atmosphere and everything. The night course in the thunderstorm is great

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

ChocNitty posted:

There's some pretty good PCVR games in this bundle for $5 ea, including Arizona Sunshine:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-a...cj_aid=13212017

For anyone interested they actually have two build your own vr bundle deals right now. Combined I got a few hundred bucks worth of games for like 50, great way to welcome me to the world of vr.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/best-of-elite-vr-build-your-own-bundle

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I got Star Shelter out of that one, which is space based.
Starting off you have to navigate in no gravity using your hands/rails down a corridor.
Which would be all fine and dandy if your controllers recognized that you were gripping something better.
Not sure if its the controllers or code, but its janky and wasnt easy to grasp.

Besides House Flipper I havent played much from the bundle since I got Real VR Fishing.

My friend wants to try a Tennis game on it, but i'm not sure if the physics work well for it, if anyone has input on a Tennis game thats fun.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

A lot of people seem to love eleven table tennis, and I hear there's first person tennis which has mixed reviews but they say the physics are good?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If you like table tennis you'll like Eleven, it simulates the game to a very precise degree. To the point where if you play casually it effectively obsoletes the real game, since dragging a table out and managing the ball aren't things you need to do in a virtual environment. Need two headsets though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Every time I read Eleven Tennis I read it as Elven Tennis and wonder if its some sort of Fairy Solitaire thing

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

SCheeseman posted:

If you like table tennis you'll like Eleven, it simulates the game to a very precise degree. To the point where if you play casually it effectively obsoletes the real game, since dragging a table out and managing the ball aren't things you need to do in a virtual environment. Need two headsets though.

I mean there's AI, at least on Steam. And you can play over internet.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Most likely pick this one up.
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/6119989094742166
Friend has an old Mac and a 5y old laptop but intel graphics, so will have to go Oculus only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCIwD4gYUcc

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SCheeseman posted:

And unless you want powerups or something there just isnt a reason to pickup any other table tennis anything.

racket fury i guess, but again, why? eleven is soooo good.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I started playing Little Cities. It has some glaring issues, like the roads not only having to be orthogonal, but even disallowing additional pieces of road connected to a cross. It makes sometimes a pain to build roads in specific places. Also, you can't see what area is going cover a service building or how efficient is going to be a water plant until your cursor is in valid build status (it appear son a hover window) , and it can only be valid if the future build template had a road in an edge, so you have first build a road to a possible construction area, then hover the building around, then decide what to do. All pretty silly.
But overall I enjoying it, it's a slightly lighter Sim City 2000.

Although, I admit it's also not a game that *needs* VR.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
What's a good arcade-y type shooter I can get on Steam?
Already played Arizona Sunshine now I'm playing Into the Radius... while it's good it's a bit slow and can be too involved.

Sometimes I just want to shoot and things to go boom.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nowher posted:

Already played Arizona Sunshine now I'm playing Into the Radius... while it's good it's a bit slow and can be too involved.

After the fall?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Private Speech posted:

I mean there's AI, at least on Steam. And you can play over internet.

Sure but if you have a table tennis table at home then you're probably playing with another person most of the time. We had a table, but now everyone in the household has their own VR headset and we ended up throwing it out because the real thing never got touched anymore. I probably should have specified there are online options though!

That being said, the game we play most together is Walkabout Mini Golf.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Nowher posted:

Seconding After the Fall. Compound is good for single-player. All of the Serious Sam VR games seem pretty good, especially The Last Hope, but I haven't sunk a lot of time into them with so many things I'm playing right now.