Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Data Graham posted:

I'm no fancy big-city leftist but it sure seems to me like blue-collar unions are mostly made up of people whose insular and parochial views arise from the social dynamics at play in their workplaces and neighborhoods where they are highly likely to develop strong racial animus and are at high risk of being nationalistic and tribal, and see the union as a means to support and defend their specific in-group against encroachment by the others, even if the union's actual goals are more egalitarian

Rather than being full of high-minded revolutionaries seeking to tear down the class structure that keeps them working on the docks in the first place

I work alongside a lot of union construction workers, and they are generally right leaning socially. Some of the unions have a long history of racism because they limit how many people are allowed into an apprenticeship class, and them at would quickly get filled up by only white people. I hear a lot of racist, sexist, and homophobic poo poo from some of the guys.

A lot of them make enough money to still be one income households. So they’re financially doing fine, as long as they can keep working.

Economically, they’re still left wing because they know how good they’ve got it in a union, but I know some still vote Republican because of social issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Well, it's also driven by the fact that the Democratic Party has done gently caress all for decades now to support unions or done anything at all to help them, largely just taking them for granted. I can see the MAGA message and Trump's rhetoric resonating with dock workers and people feeling left behind.

That's largely how he got elected. And how he's going to get elected again. Well, that and Joe Biden being a complete disaster.

Look at the states he won that were "surprise" wins for Trump. All blue collar/union/heavy industry states that the dems assumed were in the bag.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Help, I can’t stop saying malaka

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Heck, same

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm not even Greek

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Kazzah posted:

I'm not even Greek

:lol: Nice

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

That last scene with marlo is so drat good

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Done with season 2, Frank’s death is even more tragic than I remembered.

Amazing season.

Starting on 3, which introduces Cutty, another of my favourite characters.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

http://listen.hbo.com/the-wire-at-20

quote:

Few shows are as beloved as the HBO Original Series The Wire. In honor of its 20th anniversary, HBO is releasing a brand new podcast hosted by musician and actor Method Man and featuring revealing interviews with the show’s most memorable voices. Over eight episodes, the podcast will look back at David Simon’s sprawling five-season drama and unpack its complex themes, cultural influence, and ongoing legacy. The Wire at 20 podcast is produced by HBO and Campside Media.

First episode on Thursday, June 2nd.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Jerusalem should be hosting that pod.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

A lot of the HBO podcasts for their shows are kind of weak, so hopefully this one bucks that trend.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Alan Sepinwall retrospective on The Wire. For the 20th anniversary which is today.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/the-wire-20-anniversary-1361361/

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

What's the season that's most people's favorite? 3 or 4?

I'm at 308 so far and I'm a bit underwhelmed.

I thought Omar/Mouzone happened in 6/7, giving the season some steam, but no. The politics stuff is okay, but way too slow, not sure how they are going to fit the campaign and election in 5 episodes. But in general the politics stuff is more boring to me than the docks or the schools, not as many great characters. And we don't have Marlo at his peak, that's yet to come.

And holy poo poo i'd forgotten how much of an rear end in a top hat McNulty was.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Most people like 2 because they can more easily relate to it

I personally prefer season 4 for really shoving it down your throat that these corner kids don’t have a chance. Hit a lot harder for me

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Season 4 is the best season hands down for me, though 2 is my 2nd favorite. Just everything is firing on all cylinders in 4, and somehow all the kid actors they bring in not only don't bring the show down like they would in any other program, they actually make it better!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

4 is my favorite

I quite like 3. The Hamsterdam stuff was very good and interesting. I really like Cutty's introduction and character arc. The tragic culmination of of the Stringer-Avon relationship tops it off.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Jerusalem posted:

Season 4 is the best season hands down for me, though 2 is my 2nd favorite. Just everything is firing on all cylinders in 4, and somehow all the kid actors they bring in not only don't bring the show down like they would in any other program, they actually make it better!

:same:

Though season 4 is why my wife didn't want to join me on my most recent rewatch because "it's too sad".

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Most people like 2 because they can more easily relate to it

I personally prefer season 4 for really shoving it down your throat that these corner kids don’t have a chance. Hit a lot harder for me

Thirding season 4 as the best one but disagree with your season 2 take. IME, most people disliked that one the most but it grew on them over time. For most viewers, it was jarring and they didn't know wtf was going on with shift the in focus from the corner boys and dealers to all these new union workers/characters. Myself included.

Once I got a handle on the bigger picture and began to realize the larger puzzle, I warmed up to it. S5 is the weakest by far but I still like it. I didn't mind the newspaper poo poo but that whole McNulty phony serial killer plot and Freamon going in on it was a stretch for me.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Thirding season 4 as the best one but disagree with your season 2 take. IME, most people disliked that one the most but it grew on them over time. For most viewers, it was jarring and they didn't know wtf was going on with shift the in focus from the corner boys and dealers to all these new union workers/characters. Myself included.

Once I got a handle on the bigger picture and began to realize the larger puzzle, I warmed up to it. S5 is the weakest by far but I still like it. I didn't mind the newspaper poo poo but that whole McNulty phony serial killer plot and Freamon going in on it was a stretch for me.

That's fair. I always assumed it was favored because people are a lot more likely to have experienced institutional rot at a job than be on either side of the drug war

HBO is marathoning season 1 right now for the 20th anniversary and it's funny to hear them bring up stuff like overtime knowing how relevant it is in We Own This City

e: I also forgot how odd the music is in season 1, but I loved the shoutout to Homicide with It Takes Two

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 4, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Season 2 is one of my favorites but only on rewatch. Season 4 is the best IMO

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Season 3 is the one i enjoy the most, but I don't think it's the best. While it has my favorite moments in the series, 2 and 4 tell a more poignant story about people who are hosed before they even have a chance.

Then again, I guess that's what all the seasons are about, really.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 4, 2022

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s a close race between 2 and 4 but I gotta give it to 4 because

- blew me away the first time i saw it, where 2 needed a second try to click (though this probably isn’t fair, because by the time you get to 4, you’ve been fully shown what the pattern of the show is and you understand how it fits)
- child actors killed it, and those are roles that would have been hard even for adults
- best theme song

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ainsley McTree posted:

- best theme song

:hai:

Season 4's version of the theme really is the best, it's so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPKyqAAd4jc

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Jerusalem posted:

:hai:

Season 4's version of the theme really is the best, it's so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPKyqAAd4jc

Worst version of the theme, best season of the show

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

upon the Nth rewatch of this thing, and the scene during one of the first two episodes in season 5, where Gus and the other guy sits at a bar and waxes poetically over their first ~emotional connection~ to a newspaper is still one of the most awkward scenes in this show. it just feels like it belong in a different show. same with Nick’s little trip down the memory lane after Ziggy’s arrest in s2

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Season 4 really is the most heartbreaking season of the show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ClTuBXqQ24

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
For me:

1. S3
2. S4
3. S2
4. S1
5. S5

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Season 5 theme is awesome. And not just because it reminds me of Transport Tycoon.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Over a couple evenings recently I've been watching E01 of The Corner, which I'd heard of but had never seen. It's quite good so far but god-drat is it sad.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I don't have anything insightful to add to this thread. I just wanted to say that while I've kept up with new posts here, I realized I hadn't actually watched the show since probably 2015 or so.

So this last weekend when I saw HBO was marathoning S1 in observance of the 20-year anniversary (where in the gently caress does the time go?!?) I jumped in.

What an absolutely incredible show. You can count me among those who believe it to be the greatest show of all time.

Maybe I do have one thing to add. This was probably touched on years ago in here, but watching S2 I am struck by how almost all the music we hear the characters listening to is old. Like, everything is early-60s and earlier. From the times Frank and especially the older stevedores look back on wistfully as the Good Old Days, before everything went to poo poo and the city began to rot.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It had been so long since I watched this that I'd forgotten a lot of great moments.

Somehow, this was one of them. It's hilarious:

https://youtu.be/Yx0Y-u_503k

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I'm season 4, so solid.

But season 3 has a LOT going on for it now that i've finished it.

Avon/String are a huge part of the show, and their end is amazing, better than I remembered. With Stringer having been tapped and Avon betrayed by Stringer as well.

Cutty and colvin are 2 of my favourite characters because GODDAMN THEY TRY.

Cutty I think is the one doing the most good out of all the Wire characters. As he is introduced this season it gets extra points. Hamsterdam is amazing.

Hamsterdam is one of the best plots in the show, the final scene between Colvin and Bunny is great. Royce trying to keep it going somehow and then saying "what the hell was i thinking".

The politics poo poo is weak compared to season 4 so far IMO.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
4 is my favourite but 3 is also pretty great. I'm probably like most people and didn't enjoy season 2 first watch but drat is that such a great story that expands the world the characters live in.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

There is something really appealing about seeing Stringer go from throwing around terms like “market saturation” and hoping his enforcers will be impressed, to him getting bilked and humiliated by absolute snake Clay Davis

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MrMojok posted:

There is something really appealing about seeing Stringer go from throwing around terms like “market saturation” and hoping his enforcers will be impressed, to him getting bilked and humiliated by absolute snake Clay Davis

I really love the look that his enforcers give each other in that "market saturation" scene after he says that. Whether you're working in a corporation, or for a deadly drug gang, sometimes your boss shows his rear end and you know you can't say anything, but you can share the moment with a coworker

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I really love the look that his enforcers give each other in that "market saturation" scene after he says that

Haha yeah, and from the back seat his eyes flick back and forth between them, expecting a “Whooa, String, that DEEP!” kind of reaction

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Does the chair know we gonna look like some punk rear end bitches?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

escape artist posted:

Does the chair know we gonna look like some punk rear end bitches?

I love how all the facade Stringer put up goes straight out the window after being called out like that. Truth hurts.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The method man podcast is kinda interesting. Fairly surface level in so far but it was interesting to hear about on-set stuff from Wee bey.

As a Scot I was always curious about his name since he isn't that wee, but it's entirely possible there's a Big Bey somewhere in the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Chas McGill posted:

The method man podcast is kinda interesting. Fairly surface level in so far but it was interesting to hear about on-set stuff from Wee bey.

As a Scot I was always curious about his name since he isn't that wee, but it's entirely possible there's a Big Bey somewhere in the universe.
Remember Little Kevin?

If Chas McGill knew how to flip it even just a little, my poo poo'd be in handcuffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4QgNwaxjZc

escape artist fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 10, 2022