Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I was going to the store today and someone was playing a native drum and singing, dunno why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj3U0z64_m4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-4XlYv-gbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I learned Perl as one of my programming first languages and it taught me all the wrong conventional wisdom about programming languages.

e: pics tax

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ruby is just anime perl

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
both perl and ruby are fun and weird and great at what they were meant for: being a substantial improvement on shell scripting in virtually every way

though i'd drop perl in a heartbeat if ruby shipped with basically every *nix like perl does

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
someone on these forums once called perl a write only language and that’s really stuck with me.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
how pray tell do people purport to handle log files without perl?

like what's replacing it for doing regular expressions on lots of lines of textual logged output

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sniep posted:

like what's replacing it for doing regular expressions on lots of lines of textual logged output

i mean, sed? sed is right there. it is a stream editor

matti
Mar 31, 2019

outputting structured data in the first place i guess

matti
Mar 31, 2019

how old is syslog()?

i mean yeah i am being dejectedly grumpy, its poo poo, perl is fine, wish it was not like this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tbqh anybody doing more than 10 RPS in cdn land is already logging to a json format, which i think is grody, but we're making progress.

Sniep-sama's observation that perl does log munging better than any other language given a random syslog entry is one thousand percent correct, though.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Sniep posted:

people are using splunk or something instead lol

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

I posted the picture of Perl-man because he had a cowboy hatte.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Lake of Methane posted:

I posted the picture of Perl-man because he had a cowboy hatte.

at least we're not all posing+fawning over that pic of his daughter

yospos has changed in the past decade. yospos has changed for the better

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

I don't know whether Perl or Tcl/Tk fell harder but it's definitely not obviously Perl.

I wonder if you can still do tcl scripts on modern cisco boxes

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/FYa0V7v.mp4

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ruby is such an effortless language to write and maintain in, haters are just broke brained

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/1532157559750410241?s=20&t=LiWDDJYFQMthuZiI22gm4w

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

KoRMaK posted:

ruby is such an effortless language to write and maintain in, haters are just broke brained

rubby

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the proper term for ruby users/programmers/adocates is "rubes"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I hope that why dude got the help he so clearly needed

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
Work has a tech graveyard

They did a LOT of graphics with Lightwave 3D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

what about no monitor?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Roosevelt posted:

what about no monitor?

satori

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

what about no monitor?

doesn't have the tie fighter, it's bullshit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KoRMaK posted:

kormak is a person whose opinion I respect. he got me onto unreal engine and knows a few things about programming languages. well I assume they does

and for what it’s worth, the odin project, which is a thing, and idk if it’s considered worthy or not, has a ruby doing rails pathway, as well as a javascript pathway, and that tells me that ruby is worthwhile

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Why use ruby when you could just use a real lisp?

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
the thing that killed any interest in rails for me was a conference i went to in like uh 2006 where the presenter was doing a live demo of how easy it was to create a CRUD rails app from the command line or whatever and it kept failing over and over. it took like half an hour for him to debug the problem.

motherfucker had written a goddamn book on rails (on a reputable publisher iirc) and still was falling all over himself trying to get it to work

ruby itself like any other lang is ok if you are super disciplined about how you use it. though i still write stupid perl scripts named asdf.pl to mangle text files into a different format when I need to.

image tax

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

the thing that killed any interest in rails for me was a conference i went to in like uh 2006 where the presenter was doing a live demo of how easy it was to create a CRUD rails app from the command line or whatever and it kept failing over and over. it took like half an hour for him to debug the problem.

motherfucker had written a goddamn book on rails (on a reputable publisher iirc) and still was falling all over himself trying to get it to work

ruby itself like any other lang is ok if you are super disciplined about how you use it. though i still write stupid perl scripts named asdf.pl to mangle text files into a different format when I need to.

image tax

Never really understood the appeal of frameworks that claim to let you scaffold a whole CRUD in seconds. The result is opinionated frameworks that are only ergonomic in the narrowest of conventions or use cases, and in every other case you’re fighting them every step of the way to get them to do what you want. How many CRUD apps are you starting anyway, really

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Armitag3 posted:

Never really understood the appeal of frameworks that claim to let you scaffold a whole CRUD in seconds. The result is opinionated frameworks that are only ergonomic in the narrowest of conventions or use cases, and in every other case you’re fighting them every step of the way to get them to do what you want. How many CRUD apps are you starting anyway, really

In 2006-2008?

Three or four a week.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

MrQueasy posted:

In 2006-2008?

Three or four a week.

yeah, especially certain types of consultants jumping around every couple months were littering the earth with CRUD apps of dubious but functional quality

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sick

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

horosho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i was readying about a hair loss drugs and one of the side effects was “low quality semen” lol

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I liked perl when I used it for scripting some science stuff. it felt like I could program perl by banging my fists on the keyboard and produce working but ugly code.

today I would have prob used python or even R.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is there much perl can do python can’t?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

axolotl farmer posted:

I liked perl when I used it for scripting some science stuff. it felt like I could program perl by banging my fists on the keyboard and produce working but ugly code.

today I would have prob used python or even R.

Eh, it's a glue language just like python so the heavy lifting is done in the same places but advantage python for having bytecode caching

Perl6 was the Chinese Democracy of programming languages

echinopsis posted:

i was readying about a hair loss drugs and one of the side effects was “low quality semen” lol
Yeah they use them a lot in HRT as t/dht antagonists

Low quality in terms of fertility I guess but imo no goos is good news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

echinopsis posted:

is there much perl can do python can’t?

it's easy to get perl to do something

python sort of forces you to do things the right way, and that's good and all, but not necessarily what you want when writing a glue script.

R smacks you with a rolled up newspaper every time you try to write a for loop instead of doing it the correct way with vectors. I'm a biologist and I don't get vectors and why they are superior even if they are.