Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

fritz posted:

the hackers are discussing john rawls

wyager 20 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

One of the most harmful and anti-utilitarian legal theories to ever become popular. It's baby's first attempt at first-order anthropic utilitarianism, with disastrous entailments.

utilitarianism is inherently anthropic, you nitwit

so if it’s utilitarian how is it anti-utilitarian, you dipshit

why is a non- utilitarian system of ethics inherently wrong, you fuckpig

etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jabor posted:

ligma rawls

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

cato_the_elder 1 minute ago | next [–]

Rawls is the guy who is probably most responsible for corruption of the word "justice", which used to mostly mean "the proper administration of law".
The Orwellian trick Rawls pulled was to effectively reduce it to "social justice", which is how to word is most commonly used today.
This person literally thinks that the entire purpose of the law is to prevent peasants from getting in the way of rich people's horse carriages and it's all been downhill from the Code of Hammurabi

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

behold, the main character of HN today

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31601337

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hn_neverguess 5 hours ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Update on Hiring Plans

Great, that's n = 1.
For comparison, I would have never ever reached out to you again. And if I met you in the hallway at some other place, I would have made sure that everyone knows how I feel about you.
Most people who worked at one FAANG also eventually work at one more during their careers. So if you screw over one FAANG, you'll have a hard time at 40% of FAANG.
It doesn't stop there. God forbid you live in the Bay Area, and you and I perhaps cross paths at a party, Burning Man, or any other event. And for crying out loud, you better not be connected to me on Linkedin, because people will be reaching out for backchannel references for the rest of your career.
The tricky thing about all this is that you'll never know. People will just magically stop responding, when you felt that things were going great. In my career of 20 years, I've probably been professionally disappointed in something like 4 or 5 people, and I can definitely think of 2 who have resurfaced in my life one way or another.
Tech is a huge space when you're starting out. But as your career accelerates and you end up gaining more visibility, that same space becomes very small very quickly. I would not mess with my reputation, as a matter of principle, but also as a matter of prudence.

---8<---
in response to:

dudul 6 hours ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Update on Hiring Plans

I've declined an accepted offer 1 week before my start date. 6 months later the company reached out again to see if we could make it work this time.
"Burning bridges" are very exaggerated.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

such petty, small assholes

do something that matters (positive or negative, honestly) and you won’t have interest in tanking people’s references to prop up your self-image

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Dude doing the loving Liam Neeson Taken speech but all about how he's gonna talk poo poo about you and make sure your Burning Man is very unchill

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
oenxi 16 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

If you go over to the Wikipedia article for "genocides by death toll" we currently have 2 ongoing - one in Sudan, one Myanmar. And possibly Xianjing although that doesn't meet Wikipedia's standards. There are really few limits to how nasty a group of humans can get after they identify an in- and out- group.

That is genocides, in 2022. The idea that a social media company is out to crush competitors and make money is really not that far out there, and certainly not an idea that can be reasonably mocked. These companies are going the way of the more corporate news organizations - they've got influence, they want to be political actors. They are not trustworthy.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

The funny thing is that he's ostensibly repping that companies need to show loyalty to workers, too. Which is true, if they want any loyalty in return. Buuuuut...they don't. And that just seems like it has not entered his worldview at all.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

daniel-cussen 1 hour ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Tesla to Cut 10% of Jobs

Hey after all that activity on Twitter you gotta give him leeway at some point, just like a cop who's been in a thousand conflicts gets a pass when things go wrong, there has to be a margin of error.

daniel-cussen 17 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

Very negative opinion of president-elect Joseph Biden.
Not going into politics on this site, limiting it to media coverage.
Frankly with the amount of slander he had going in his favor he could rightfully be called a victor of the election--if and only if he got more than 60%. The ballots were I think--not sure as time goes on, but I think--correct, but the slander was absurd.
To the point the media had many bad weeks trying to figure out what to talk about because Trump was no longer president, meaning they couldn't make 4 out of the 5 biggest daily headlines about him in varying levels of directness. Him, his past, his family, his nepotists, his administration, his legacy, his apocalyptic nuclear monarchy, his impeachment, his craziness, his uh coup I think they called it, literally ad nauseam.
Couldn't read the news, it was literally "ad nauseam", to the point of total disgust, and even then I bought into the bullshit to some degree. It was so copious, so much poo poo, you can't keep your mind clean of all that poo poo any more than you can keep your shoes clean if you're surrounded by dog feces like a foot of snow. Better to do what Thomas Jefferson said and not read any news at all, ever. It's back to the point it was in in the Spanish-American War, yellow journalism, lovely rags full of slander. Not even that, that would be better than this, just blogs manipulating every reader individually, visible A/B testing in eg Financial Times ("Larger" vs. "bigger", they let me see both versions of the same headline, incompetence), generated news...
Yellow bits. Yellow ones and yellow zeroes. Gray Lady? Not in the least, not gray at all. Haven't read what she says in many years, just too gross.
And guess what? If you refuse to let them in to your mind, in a way they stop existing. It's weird, it's a quantum-mechanical thing, just stop reading and they sort of just die. It's like applause in a theater, one person stops clapping and then there's four more clappings, that's it, dies very rapidly.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

quote:

Not going into politics on this site,

matti
Mar 31, 2019

that has to be an occupational surname

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31615556#31619120

quote:

> hypnotizing people to be trans

Indeed, the conservatives are wrong on this. Most of that type of grooming happens on Reddit and Discord.

Not literally hypnotism of course, but older trans-identifying people using various types of grooming techniques to try to 'crack the egg' of vulnerable young people.

There have been several detransitioners who have documented how they were radicalized in such forums, it's quite an eye opener.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Liron 19 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Confess your love with zero-knowledge

Last year my wife and I suspected we might have gotten each other the same Christmas gift, but didn’t want to spoil the surprise in case we didn’t. So we compared SHA256 hashes... and sure enough they both came out cb17007d (theragun)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

O.Henry for these modern days.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Mr.Radar posted:

Liron 19 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Confess your love with zero-knowledge

Last year my wife and I suspected we might have gotten each other the same Christmas gift, but didn’t want to spoil the surprise in case we didn’t. So we compared SHA256 hashes... and sure enough they both came out cb17007d (theragun)

lol

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Mr.Radar posted:

I laughed, but I actually also feel it's sort of weirdly cute.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, it’s sweet

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

the hash collision of the magi

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

drusepth 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

In a time before electronic bank statements, I had a long back and forth with my bank trying to put a stop to receiving any or all of my accounts' paper statements and eventually just claimed that I moved out and no longer had an active address to update my accounts to.
They threatened to close all of my existing bank accounts if I couldn't provide a valid mailing address, and then made me verify it when I gave them the same address they already had.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

Jose Valasquez posted:

drusepth 1 hour ago | root | parent | next [–]

In a time before electronic bank statements, I had a long back and forth with my bank trying to put a stop to receiving any or all of my accounts' paper statements and eventually just claimed that I moved out and no longer had an active address to update my accounts to.
They threatened to close all of my existing bank accounts if I couldn't provide a valid mailing address, and then made me verify it when I gave them the same address they already had.

https://youtu.be/EDmToUzH44U

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

i thought it was all tumblr, or is that not so hip anymore

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Anger issues account found

samstave 1 hour ago | undown | root | parent [–]

OK little mister 27days year old account against my deep 15 years on the site?

Uhm, lets explain you about what you actually know about Palantir, there SWWAG that was all over the SFBay, on bart, busses, bikes, bags, shirts, etc...

and what about their absolute oval office of a CEO talking about LSD pops to his understanding of tech and etc...

You, have 27days on this account... Maybe you are HIDING? behind something?

I HAVE been OPEN on HN for DECADES.

I dont hide behind any of my comments. EVER. Dang and Saltman, and even loving PG can claim when they called me out.

So call me out bitch with data.

Let me tell you about the time I called out others with DATA on SYSTEMS AND FACILITIES I ACTUALLY WAS ON THE DESIGN TEAM OF!. and got "cease and desisted" on loving HN.

I am so tired of pricks who think they know.

If I reveealed every secret on HN that I know first hand, I would probably puke.

In the words of Charlie Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-lolbx6-5s

samstave 1 hour ago [flagged] [dead] | parent | context | next [–] | on: Apple Unveils M2

WHY THE gently caress Cant a mfr such as apple develop the most advanced upgrade modality known to man:

In the 1st world: sell the high-end machines.

Make the keyboard and screen and input and memory as High-End as possible.

As tech evolves, allow these to be slot level inserts.

I dont need a new chassis, KVM.

In fact:

MAK THE loving THING A KVM OUT OF THE GATE!

I slot in my guts, but I keep the same KVM chassis and form factor. Period.

Why is this hard to understand...?

Ship the guts to other places...

samstave 51 minutes ago [flagged] [dead] | root | parent | prev | next [–]

They have been simply "proven right" because gently caress YOU THATS WHY...

Which was the premise of my comment (OP)

--

Anyone who wants to dismiss BS with simply "Because they did so, gently caress you" is an ignorant fool.

Such, we see the questions.

XO

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

Maximo Roboto posted:

Uhm, lets explain you about what you actually know about Palantir, there SWWAG that was all over the SFBay, on bart, busses, bikes, bags, shirts, etc...

and what about their absolute oval office of a CEO talking about LSD pops to his understanding of tech and etc...

I dont hide behind any of my comments. EVER. Dang and Saltman, and even loving PG can claim when they called me out.

Let me tell you about the time I called out others with DATA on SYSTEMS AND FACILITIES I ACTUALLY WAS ON THE DESIGN TEAM OF!. and got "cease and desisted" on loving HN.

If I reveealed every secret on HN that I know first hand, I would probably puke.

samstave 1 hour ago [flagged] [dead] | parent | context | next [–] | on: Apple Unveils M2

WHY THE gently caress Cant a mfr such as apple develop the most advanced upgrade modality known to man:

In fact:

--

Anyone who wants to dismiss BS with simply "Because they did so, gently caress you" is an ignorant fool.

XO

lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hn thread: i slot in my guts

mystes
May 31, 2006

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND SLOT IN MY GUTS

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Maximo Roboto posted:

In fact:

You might have seen them very busy at the weekend
Slotting and pushing the laptops into shape
And then it's upgrade to the M1, M2, M3
And keep your guts off the chassis, Sammy
Comp trouble, oh, yeah

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

so the guy just wants a 1u short depth chassis with a keyboard and monitor attached?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

FCKGW posted:

so the guy just wants a 1u short depth chassis with a keyboard and monitor attached?

dollars to donuts if you gave the guy what he claims to want, he would still find something to get angry at.

fortunately apple's profit margin does not depend on entitled dumbasses like that so it's fine in the grand scheme of things

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

4lokos basilisk posted:

dollars to donuts if you gave the guy what he claims to want, he would still find something to get angry at.

fortunately apple's profit margin does not depend on entitled dumbasses like that so it's fine in the grand scheme of things

he'd complain that it's thicker than current laptops for no good reason

alternatively he'd complain about how unnecessarily thin it is and how that makes it a pain to swap components

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that’s just called a desktop

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

hobbesmaster posted:

that’s just called a desktop

to a reasonable person, yes

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

That dude is one of the most obviously unwell regular posters on HN and I'm not totally sure how he hasn't been quietly swept under the rug.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

Anger issues account found

In fact:

--

XO

i've had the same keyboard for like 10 years. apple/laptop people are insane

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I’m still using the keyboard that I got with my Mac IIci in early 1991

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

tracecomplete posted:

That dude is one of the most obviously unwell regular posters on HN and I'm not totally sure how he hasn't been quietly swept under the rug.

Because he's got deep 15 years on the site

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

daniel-cussen 5 hours ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Records show ICE uses LexisNexis to check millions...

That's how many immigrants are waltzing in at the Executive's will.
Plus there's Wahhabi muslims mixed in there posing as Mexicans, they pay a $1000 bribe to Mexican Immigration, life changing amount of money for the Mexican government employee. Then Mexican Immigration does the paperwork to reinvent the terrorist as an everyday Mexican, and it's not their policy but those bribes really cut through the red tape. So then he spends six years learning Spanish, which is not that dissimilar from Arabic, and then walks into US (that's the easiest part in the process) under the smiling eyes of the current Executive Branch. Then he gets the gently caress away from the 200 mile range of the border (the safest part of America), so he like goes to Kansas to plot terrorist attacks and sabotage with his fellow Wahhabi's, infiltrating.
That's what the President wants. Basically forces white Americans to discriminate against brown people, except for me because I can pick off the difference in their accents in Spanish (I speak Native Spanish and can speak Native Chilean Dialect Spanish, the most difficult dialect of Spanish by far, which no foreigner has ever learned). I am white (meaning gringo, güero as Mexicans say) but can separate the sheep from the goats. I think Chilean security forces can also tell them apart.
Generally positive perception of Mexicans (Mexican Mexicans born in Mexico) crossing the border, like I too crossed the border and tried to reinvent my life in America, Hispanics acted as an on-ramp to American life. And it's always been a porous border. And there has to be some amount of illegal immigration, it's an escape valve, there has to be a way, besides America has had illegal immigration since the Mayflower, it was according to international law Spanish territory at the time and the pilgrims just showed up.
But Wahhabi's? Well I haven't met any, I can say that for sure. But they're there in bad faith, that's exactly why there's ICE. Good on ICE for tracking them down.

another 15 year hn vet:

daniel-cussen 1 day ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Why are nuclear power construction costs so high?

Masochism in part, and secondly the Simpsons blackballing the entire industry. Nobody wanted to become a nuclear engineer after that lovely show. The creators of the Simpsons are nuclear war surrender monkeys.
Context, in the show, the groundskeeper which is a discriminatory stereotype of Scots, says the French are "cheese-eating surrender monkeys", another discriminatory stereotype, but it's fine according to the bitchvictim media's rules because since they're both white it counts as "poking fun" and not "bigotry". Tucker Max said "cheese-eating surrender monkey!" to a French girl at a bar, game over right there even for a guy with crazy game like him, because it's loving insulting. Literally calling them monkeys AND submissive cowards? Well if the Simpsons can do it to others, I can do it to the Simpsons. One of my surnames is French, I'm part French, my great-grandfather spoke French and was a Francophile following the Blitzkreig with a map hoping the French could turn the invasion around, he was rooting for them. It's just not loving funny. The Simpsons is a bigoted show, don't think you can repeat any of those jokes. So this is what I get to reply to the Simpsons, and all those losers: The Simpsons are nuclear armageddon surrender monkeys. Whole bitchvictim media with them.
Going back to the topic of nuclear engineers, with 22 minutes of slander on television on every day specifically against them that's the hottest show on television decade after decade, like only a son of a nuke would become a nuke.
So that's also sabotage, then the public is like a thousand times as sensitive to a nuclear accident than to a coal plant making GBS threads into the air we breathe.
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31598892
https://hn.algolia.com/?dateRange=all&page=0&prefix=false&qu...

daniel-cussen 7 days ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: CNN cutting back on over-hyping everything as “bre...

The big thing about CNN is telling people politics is hopeless, and therefore not to vote. And it does this selectively, it sells this as a capability. Sells diminished voter turnout. And broadcasts weaponized racism/rapism accusations, including Inter-Continental Ballistic Rape Accusations, ICBRA's, like (I'm not sure cnn.com partook in this but still, nytimes.com did) those affecting the owner of Techcrunch, Mike Arrington, where he was literally two states away from the victim at the time of the rape (allegedly obviously, being sarcastic, but the media did NOT say allegedly, in effect claimed he was thousands of miles long--at the calf, or at the thigh, whatever, standing in Washington but penetrating in California--rather than question the bitchvictim). So even the editor of a medium-sized newspaper can get slandered in the worst possible way across continents?
At that point, I just stop listening to rape accusations in the media no matter what, like you can accuse anybody, at any time, of anything, provided he has a penis[1]. Nowadays, if "they" are white. White male, basically. Just accusing white men of being white men, frankly. Mike Arrington is a white man, news at 11.
And let me say something else.
I will never vote for a man who has not been accused of rape in the media.
If he has been accused of rape, maybe he has my vote maybe he doesn't. Probably does.
If he hasn't been accused of rape on the media, he's not a threat to bad people and I will flat out not vote for him.
I actually acted on that recently. José Antonio Kast, though I would have normally voted for him, I saw he had no accusations so I didn't go to vote in the Chilean Presidential Elections for him. Obviously because that in a presidential candidate that candidate had strategies to dodge or diffuse or dislodge or discourage rape accusations, nobody that well-known can possibly have a clean record. His opponent, Boric, didn't.
It's the most basic form of mudslinging, rape accusations. You can always get some female confidence artist to "come forward," always, it costs like 2000 USD in Chile, if that. It's cheap, it's trivial, there's no cross-examination, victim never gets named in public, if nobody's done it it's because the candidate planned it all out for it not to happen, ie premeditated that same crime. Pretty much is a rapist for real if he's never been accused.
And Kast lost the election, due to thousands of votes like mine. Every vote can break a tied election, in fact I tied an election 126 to 126, in high school. Kast lost in part because he had that suspicious clean slate. It's counter-reliable, whatever the media says, the truth is almost exactly to the opposite.
[1] I still judge rape accusations made in person to me, or what I witness in person, as I see fit. "He says she says" has no weight, but in the moment, it's a totally different ball-park. I have taken suicidal levels of risk to defend women who asked for help in person, risks I've never seen anybody else take. But not for an accusation in the bitchvictim media.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
what