Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My mom and dad were on an anniversary trip away from us kids and went to go see a movie back when you had to buy a ticket there and their movie was sold out so they chose a movie right there they had never heard of and it was Raiders of the Lost Ark and he said by the time the big stone ball was rolling down he knew his kids should have been in that theater.

I'm happy for them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
The ET ride at Universal Studios is fantastic. Its absolutely insane and we will won't see anything that weird again for a long time, if ever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Raiders in the theater felt more fun to me than Empire

Temple of Doom, i remember so well, my aunt took me to see it on a lazy regular tuesday or something, a matinee, just a total low key movie experience, and i think that helped me enjoy it a lot more

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The monkey brains / snakes scene was so gross to me as a child that I absolutely hated that movie. That and Kate Capshaw's incessant whining.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

kiimo posted:

The monkey brains / snakes scene was so gross to me as a child that I absolutely hated that movie. That and Kate Capshaw's incessant whining.

Short Round owns though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
the loving opening sequence in Temple

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
For the longest time my parents only ever let us watch one of the movies in a trilogy.

Only A New Hope.
Only Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Only Back to the Future 3.

I have no idea why. Especially BTTF 3.... WTF, mom???

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Maybe your mom didn't want you to get any ideas about dating her

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kiimo posted:

Maybe your mom didn't want you to get any ideas about dating her

lmao

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

ESB has incest too…I don’t remember anything in the indiana Jones movies but was your mom perhaps a blonde

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Carrie Fisher kisses Mark Hamill in Star Wars.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

DeimosRising posted:

ESB has incest too…I don’t remember anything in the indiana Jones movies but was your mom perhaps a blonde

No.

But there are also no moms in the SW original trilogy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I AM GRANDO posted:

Carrie Fisher kisses Mark Hamill in Star Wars.

Yes, but that was for luck :colbert:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

teagone posted:

Short Round owns though.

They should let him take over the franchise instead of whatever travesty the fifth movie is going to attempt.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

teagone posted:

Short Round owns though.

You should watch The Steel Helmet where Spielberg got the idea for Short Round from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX9Ud9fTmBw

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

BlueBayou posted:

The ET ride at Universal Studios is fantastic. Its absolutely insane and we will won't see anything that weird again for a long time, if ever.

It really is, and you can probably rest easy knowing it isn’t going anywhere.

Supposedly after Universal closed the one in Hollywood, Spielberg had a poo poo fit and said they would only touch the one in Florida over his dead body

So that one is safe, for a little while at least

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

PeterCat posted:

You should watch The Steel Helmet where Spielberg got the idea for Short Round from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX9Ud9fTmBw

Dang, never heard this, I'm gonna check it out. If you happen to know any other specific Jones reference points I'm all ears, I love going back and watching influences. I've already seen the obvious ones like Secret of the Incas and such, though.

Recently watched a few serials that Lucas was quoted as saying were some of his reference points, and they weren't the ones I assumed. I thought they were going to be the Rex Bennett ones and Perils of Nyoka and such, but it turns out they were much more forgettable and pedestrian ones.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

feedmyleg posted:

Dang, never heard this, I'm gonna check it out. If you happen to know any other specific Jones reference points I'm all ears, I love going back and watching influences. I've already seen the obvious ones like Secret of the Incas and such, though.

The steel helmet is really good, it kind of drags in the beginning and really shows it's low budget but it's only like 86 minutes long and worth sticking out because there's enough good parts to outweigh the somewhat harder to sit through stretches.

It was also a written and directed by Sam Fuller who was a journalist who served as an infantryman in the US army of world war II. So a lot of the anecdotes that the soldiers in the movie experience are things that he experienced in Europe.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Compared to some of the crummy 4 hour serials I've sat through, I'm sure it's a total breeze and a high quality production.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

It's also the very first Korean War movie, coming out seven months after the war started and directly confronts racism against African American and Nisei troops in the US Army which is kinda bonkers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Schwarzwald posted:

I've been in neighborhoods in Cincinnati where they'd put you in the ground if they thought you were an ET fan.

"We don't cotton much to Atari VCS cartridges in these parts, boy."

I saw Star Wars and ET on their original theatrical runs. They both took over the pop culture world for a time, and ET would have been the equivalent of Avatar or Infinity War/Endgame today - it would have broken $2bn global for sure - but Star Wars was gargantuan. I saw it a full year after it first came out because some cinemas were still showing it, and then it got a revival when Empire came out. The two simply aren't comparable.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jedit posted:

"We don't cotton much to Atari VCS cartridges in these parts, boy."

I saw Star Wars and ET on their original theatrical runs. They both took over the pop culture world for a time, and ET would have been the equivalent of Avatar or Infinity War/Endgame today - it would have broken $2bn global for sure - but Star Wars was gargantuan. I saw it a full year after it first came out because some cinemas were still showing it, and then it got a revival when Empire came out. The two simply aren't comparable.

They were playing ET a year after it came out too and in fact for a brief period of time it actually had made more money than Star Wars. Anyway, this is a silly conversation because both films were massive cultural juggernauts, but ET was not built for toys or franchise and so gradually faded away. Still a good film for kids, my son's gonna watch it this summer.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAWZMssP3gM

The Menu :fsn:

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the other gritty willy wonka reboot

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

but ET was not built for toys or franchise

I woulda watched Night Skies and bought an Evil ET figure :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Night Skies is a pretty dope script. Needs one more draft tho but it should still be made.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Looks intriguing!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is Menu the sequel to Men, like Wii U was the sequel to the Wii?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Menuigi

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Paramount seems to have pulled this from their own channel for some reason, but it's out there now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSFAidTOGFU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Bevis and Butthead Do America absolutely holds up and remains a favorite of mine, I’m quite hype for this

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That looks most intriguing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

That rules?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JfWZd4CtIE

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

i wanna watch this

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oh drat, that looks incredible.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it immediately makes me think of The Platform, another movie about fine dining and horrible brutality

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Dillbag posted:

Paramount seems to have pulled this from their own channel for some reason, but it's out there now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSFAidTOGFU

I'm just so tired.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ytPyHJjsh0

Hahahahahahaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I mean, in a vacuum, aside from the few lines about God, I guess you'd never be able to tell that's a movie made by a horrible bigoted company with cancelled actors (just that it's a low-budget generic western).
I'd still say it technically looks more competently made than that new Kevin Spacey movie, which is pretty funny.