Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
The only good reality show is Sex House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

NorgLyle posted:

On her Patreon, Jenny used to have videos featuring some of her friends and other "special guests" but she had to take them all down because the people featured in those subscriber only videos were being doxxed and harrassed offline by internet weirdos. So... neat.

What the gently caress is wrong with people

She just does videos about stupid poo poo. Like the land before time sequels and vampire diaries. Why does anyone get mad? How can anyone get mad?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

I do not like this sentence. It exudes a wicked aura.
It was a super weird choice. I don't think she had any plastic surgery beyond botox done at the time. I think the idea was that people at that point mostly knew her from a reality tv show specifically about being married to Travis Barker. But I looked it up and that show was like 5 years prior to Bridal Plasty and she had gotten divorced from him 2 years earlier??? The whole thing was very strange.
The only thing I specifically remember about it beyond that was that the most vicious of the contestants ended up in the final 2, but instantly looked defeated as gently caress when she found out that the eliminated contestants that she had been super vile to would be deciding the winner. Cut to the other finalist smiling her rear end off. *chef's kiss*

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Lotus Aura posted:

I think the objective worst reality show kinda has to be something like Solitary, that threw its contestants into solitary confinement and actively denied them things like food and sleep. Just like actual straight up torture for.... entertainment? Also it ran for 4 seasons and got picked up by a couple countries other than the US. Somehow.

Solitary was about adults who had knowledge of the sort of show they were going on and were closely watched the entire time for, you know, the torture they were doing. the show apparently had therapists on site who were the first people they talked to when they were let out of their hellpods because of how that could mess someone up.

meanwhile, tying the two threads of conversation together, this one's gotta be top 5 worst just for how much it doesn't care about the contestants well being:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKFgn6tNU6w

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I believe the first reality show to dip into the plastic surgery arena was Extreme Makeover. They also had to settle some lawsuits because of how hosed the show was. Somehow, that show ended up spawning Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, which was really on the vanguard of the "positive reality tv" movement (and was also a much bigger hit than its parent show).

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

fun hater posted:

the worst reality show was the one where the winner got plastic surgery. i still think about how freakishly and shamefully fully unhinged even the mere concept was

I would direct your attention to "Intervention", where addicts and the families of addicts debase themselves on television to receive treatment.

Grondoth posted:

She just does videos about stupid poo poo. Like the land before time sequels and vampire diaries. Why does anyone get mad? How can anyone get mad?

Still going with "because these sadsack fucks have nothing else in their lives and so channel it into internet rage at people within their grasp".

Fandoms, etc. are fine for well-adjusted people. The internet connects and amplifies the people who aren't. I don't know if it was intentional, but we're here now.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 2, 2022

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Another bad 'reality' show is the one that got brought up a few months ago.
The one with blackface and whiteface.

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

Lotus Aura posted:

I think the objective worst reality show kinda has to be something like Solitary, that threw its contestants into solitary confinement and actively denied them things like food and sleep. Just like actual straight up torture for.... entertainment? Also it ran for 4 seasons and got picked up by a couple countries other than the US. Somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lU6INZ8A7o

Denpa Shōnen teki Kenshō Seikatsu

quote:

Nasubi was challenged to stay alone, unclothed, in an apartment for Susunu! Denpa Shōnen (January 1998 – March 2002), a Japanese reality-television show on Nippon Television, after winning a lottery for a "show business related job". He was challenged to enter mail-in sweepstakes until he won ¥1 million (about US$10,000) in total. He started with nothing (including no clothes), was cut off from outside communication and broadcasting, and had nothing to keep him company except the magazines he combed through for sweepstakes entry forms. After spending 335 days to reach his target, he set the Guinness world record for the "longest time survived on competition winnings".[1]

Nasubi lived in front of the camera, with only the possessions he won via the sweepstakes (save for basic utilities such as running water, heating and electricity), and the stacks of postcards and magazines required for entering the sweepstakes. Due to his nudity, an eggplant cartoon graphic covered his genitals when Nasubi was standing on camera. Nasubi is a Japanese word for "eggplant"—the nickname was chosen due to his 30 cm long face shaped like a Japanese eggplant. Nasubi believed that he was being recorded and the show would be re-broadcast later once the footage had been gathered. In reality, the experiment was being livestreamed, with footage compiled and re-aired each week, complete with sound effects present at frequent intervals, especially to highlight his sadness and frustration. At first, he received no food at all, drinking only water and losing weight. Eventually, he won some sugary drinks from his sweepstakes entries, then a bag of rice, and eventually survived for weeks on dog food he won. He carried on conversations with a stuffed animal he adopted as his sensei. He never won clothing he could wear (only ladies' underwear, that was too small), nor did he ever win anything to trim his growing facial hair. He also won other prizes he was unable to use, like movie tickets and a bicycle (both of which would have required him to exit the apartment to utilize). When he won a television set, it was initially useless as there was no cable or antenna hookup in the apartment (intentional by the producers out of fear he would discover he was already on TV), but it became useful when he later won a VCR (for the two videotapes he had won previously) and a Sony PlayStation (for the games and controllers he had won previously).

Upon reaching his goal, he was clothed and blindfolded and taken to a surprise location. Nasubi happily went along believing he was going to get a special prize for his year of hard work. After they removed his blindfold, he found himself in South Korea where he was shown around town and taken to another apartment. He was once again asked to take off his clothes and challenged to enter sweepstakes, this time to win enough money to afford a flight with Japan Airlines to return home. When Nasubi quickly met this goal after several weeks of entering competitions, it was revised, this time to afford a ticket in first class, and this goal was also met in a matter of weeks. When he had won enough to return to Japan he was blindfolded, clothed and taken to another apartment in Japan. When the blindfold was removed, he looked around, sighed, and took all of his clothes off. At which point the walls of the apartment fell away to reveal that he was in a TV studio with a huge live audience. Nasubi was confused by this, because he thought the show had not yet been broadcast.

The entire ordeal lasted about 15 months, during which time his diaries on his experience of being locked away from the outside world became a best seller in Japan, and the TV show broke all records with 17 million viewers each Sunday night.

He reported being hot and sweaty wearing clothing after his ordeal, and for the first six months had difficulty carrying on conversations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Why did nobody rescue him :stonk:

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L2bW-rg3lI

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

How is there more than one reality show that involves plastic surgery

The new millennium has been a very strange time for everybody

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DeafNote posted:

Another bad 'reality' show is the one that got brought up a few months ago.
The one with blackface and whiteface.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaryoWAewIw

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

The white dad was so loving insufferable and casually racist despite seeing himself as “open-minded”. Like if he was an actor then he did a great job playing the stereotypical white liberal.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Grondoth posted:

It's a daisy chain thing. Like one time John Boyega made an instagram comment about "It's not a matter of who [Rey] kisses but who eventually lays the pipe" which is gross and also immediately tips into the nasty shipping wars the sequels had at the time. Jenny made a tweet about it being a misogynistic comment. The Discourse loops around into everyone being too hard on Boyega because he's a black man and/or people hating on him because they're Reylos. Therefore everyone bothered by the remark is a Racist Reylo and gets flamed, and if you block anyone who comes at you about that then that only proves you're a Racist Reylo etc.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 2, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's a daisy chain thing. Like one time John Boyega made an instagram comment about "It's not a matter of who [Rey] kisses but who eventually lays the pipe" which is gross and also immediately tips into the nasty shipping wars the sequels had at the time. Jenny made a tweet about it being a misogynistic comment. The Discourse loops around into everyone being too hard on Boyega because he's a black man and/or people hating on him because they're Reylos. Therefore everyone bothered by the remark is a Racist Reylo and gets flamed, and if you block anyone who comes at you about that then that only proves you're a Racist Reylo etc.

That's the tweet that I believe got doctored and is periodically re-sent around whenever somebody tries to take a run at Jenny.

And indeed it's so:

https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1476102706141937664

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

That's the tweet that I believe got doctored and is periodically re-sent around whenever somebody tries to take a run at Jenny.

And indeed it's so:

No that was a separate thing that mandalorian wolf guy did after to manufacture more "evidence" that Jenny was racist because he didn't like her star wars opinions and wanted her to get ripped apart. e- You can even see the mandalorian wolf guy alluding to the time I'm talking about as part of going "Wow and I thought that was bad, but look at these [doctored] screencaps of you being even more racist!!!"

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 2, 2022

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Dawgstar posted:

And indeed it's so:

Getting some serious Spaghetti Video vibes from those doctored Tweets...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPeFlyarWt4

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Everyone's favorite Sonic comics artist is publicly being a wonderful human being again.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1531889706329264130

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Everyone's favorite Sonic comics artist is publicly being a wonderful human being again.

I dunno Ken, there was one guy who tried to weirdly hijack the entire comic series to tell his creepy anti-divorce yet pro-incest stories, I don't think that guy was autistic and he was pretty toxic. What ever happened to that guy I wonder...Probably something pathetic like he's just making lovely tweets that get a bunch of sonic kids in the comments posting poo poo like

https://twitter.com/ArtistSince05/status/1532163151227195393

at him every time he opens his dumb mouth

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
How is his lawsuit with Paramount going

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Macaluso posted:

How is his lawsuit with Paramount going

would you be shocked to hear 'laughed out of multiple courts already'? Because I think that was it last I heard.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

would you be shocked to hear 'laughed out of multiple courts already'? Because I think that was it last I heard.

Wait, he's actually trying to go forward with suing Paramount? I honestly didn't think he was that dumb.

The only reason he won against Archie is because Archie is incompetent and Sega didn't give a gently caress. The Sonic Movies have made good money for Paramount, they would loving destroy Penders if a court actually took the case.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

jenny nicholson put up yet ANOTHER unfinished video on the patreon this past month (i guess barbie, beanie babies, and evermore park weren't enough) but it was worth watching the preview of it to see a church do a parody of ace ventura in the year of our lord 2022

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 2, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The colossal thermonuclear balls on this man to call anyone else toxic with a straight face. Holy gently caress :stare:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He looks like a living potato.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

That's a wild series of events and I can't believe clicking on those made me realise I'd actually seen this guy before in 428: Shibuya Scramble of all things.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

He was a known figure and is probably why there wasn't much backlash to how he was treated on the eggplant show. If in let's say 2002, you saw someone like Dane Cook going thru the same ordeal, i don't think people would necessarily go "Oh, he definitely got tricked into being on that position".

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
BobbyBroccoly fell victim to a bizarre copyright claim situation and had to reupload their excellent supercollider finale, so you should watch the series if you haven't!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15zHLXvFUs0

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

He looks like a living potato.

If there isn't a good deep dive into Penders video there ought to be (although there is a thread on him in the comic subforum which has multiple links if you just want to read like some kind of plebe), but he's notoriously litigious and I'm sure even if the video could get cleared he'd probably find some way to make it a giant hassle for the content creator. Possibly in spite of himself because that's how Penders works.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Ken Penders owns the rights to a bunch of his comic Sonic stuff because Archie comics lost the original Sega contract.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
There was this video abut the comics termination from Cybershell , but thats only slightly about ol' Ken.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

pentyne posted:

Ken Penders owns the rights to a bunch of his comic Sonic stuff because Archie comics lost the original Sega contract.

Yeah, Archie was incompetent and from what I understand Sega didn't give a poo poo beyond telling Archie "make this mess go away". I don't believe for a second that Penders didn't sign a standard contact giving the rights to all the characters and stories he created to Archie/Sega, but Archie couldn't prove it so they just gave up and settled to give him the characters Sega didn't care about and rebooted the comic to remove all characters that didn't come from the games or cartoons.

I imagine that it's no coincidence that Sega suddenly pulled the Sonic license from Archie when another former writer got inspired by Penders and started making noise that he was going to sue to get the rights to his amazing character, Mammoth Mogul or whatever.
Just wasn't worth putting up with this poo poo so they gave the license to IDW and started again.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Veotax posted:

Yeah, Archie was incompetent and from what I understand Sega didn't give a poo poo beyond telling Archie "make this mess go away". I don't believe for a second that Penders didn't sign a standard contact giving the rights to all the characters and stories he created to Archie/Sega, but Archie couldn't prove it so they just gave up and settled to give him the characters Sega didn't care about and rebooted the comic to remove all characters that didn't come from the games or cartoons.

I imagine that it's no coincidence that Sega suddenly pulled the Sonic license from Archie when another former writer got inspired by Penders and started making noise that he was going to sue to get the rights to his amazing character, Mammoth Mogul or whatever.
Just wasn't worth putting up with this poo poo so they gave the license to IDW and started again.

That's almost as funny as the guy who decided to claim he owned the entire Battletech IP because they included one of his fanfic characters in an official release.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Veotax posted:

The details of that are pretty interesting. Archie's offices had a flood and the contracts were apparently destroyed (although why you're not keeping your contracts as secure as possible I don't know) and while they did have copies they were photocopies and a combination of Sega not bothering to send legal representation and the case just wearing down the judge it was decided that there was no official proof they didn't forge Penders' signature because they didn't have a copy of the real one. The judge was probably all "Yeah, sure, you get your echidna, whatever, get out of my court room."

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I can't imagine any judge wanting to deal with cases involving Sonic OCs for very long.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know how the Sonic IP was able to continue after losing such important characters like Knuckles' mom or the cowboy echidna.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RIP to Shade the Echidna, Julie-Su and all of the GTA dress-up versions of echidnas that were also their own character somehow.

Wish there was a simple video on what the entire lawsuit entailed because I don't get how they have their own planet and yet also never have anything to do with it. It doesn't really work like Mario Galaxy or Starfox or Kirby and I have to assume that somehow the lawsuit is why because I don't know why else they had that back and forth 'No it needs to take place with normal humans even though nobody besides Eggman ever matters' for like 4 games.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 3, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
poo poo, the only things I remember about the Echidna clan was that Julie-Su barely had a character besides “Girlfriend of Knuckles” and that Knuckles’ dad was a gigantic piece of poo poo to his wife, son, and even his own father, but Penders really wanted the readers to think he was right and correct all along

I dunno, it’s been literal decades since I read those comics

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

RIP to Shade the Echidna, Julie-Su and all of the GTA dress-up versions of echidnas that were also their own character somehow.

Wish there was a simple video on what the entire lawsuit entailed because I don't get how they have their own planet and yet also never have anything to do with it. It doesn't really work like Mario Galaxy or Starfox or Kirby and I have to assume that somehow the lawsuit is why because I don't know why else they had that back and forth 'No it needs to take place with normal humans even though nobody besides Eggman ever matters' for like 4 games.

Not a video, but there is a little rundown about the lawsuit from the person who runs the Thanks,Ken Penders blog

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02/the-lawsuit-that-reshaped-sonic-the-hedgehog-comics.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

jenny nicholson put up yet ANOTHER unfinished video on the patreon this past month (i guess barbie, beanie babies, and evermore park weren't enough) but it was worth watching the preview of it to see a church do a parody of ace ventura in the year of our lord 2022

She’s posted some twitter videos of those plays and boy I hope that’s the video she finishes next because they are amazing